Code of Conduct

Default Holy Grail vs. Signature Scent vs. what others like on you

Many of us have holy grails... the one (or one for each season! ) fragrance that we couldn't be without - that you must have in your wardrobe.

Then we also have a "signature scent" - the one that we wear often that people will know it's you when you come into the room. It's probably the one fragrance that you reach for the most often.

Then there can be the fragrances that other's like on you the most, but it might not be your favorite - yet it seems to illicit the most positive comments.

For me:
    1. Holy Grail = Ambre Sultan - Lutens. This is the one fragrance I must have... I don't wear it so often, just special occasions, but when I do wear it, I understand the reasons why I like fragrances!

2. Signature Scent = would probably be Lubin Idole or Costes (very similar for me). When I wear them at work, people know it's me for sure! I've received a lot of comments asking "what are you wearing" since neither one is very common around here. It's funny though, neither are in my top 5!

3. Amazingly, I've received the most favorable comments from other people when I'm wearing Mugler's Cologne! I like it too, but I certainly don't call it a big favorite.

What are yours?
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Default Re: Holy Grail vs. Signature Scent vs. what others like on you

Holy Grail - Heritage and Domenico Caraceni

Signature - Chevalier d'Orsay and Terre d'Hermes

However, the two scents that people have probably associated with me most over the past 6 years are Cuiron and Nickel - Ennemi

I wore Nickel - Ennemi and Cuiron almost exclusively for several years. They will always connect me to the time right after ending an 8 year relationship and losing my mother to liver cancer. These two life changing events happened almost simultaneously and I was forced to move on without the two people in my life that I loved the most. These frags were with me as I journeyed to find myself again as a single man and move on despite the void in my life. They are frags that give me an emotional jolt everytime I wear them.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 24th February 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Interesting question, I hadn't quite thought about it that way. Oddly enough, I can say with confidence the following:

Holy Grail - Creed MI & Rive Gauche

Signature - Creed MI & Rive Gauche & AdP

Others - Creed MI & Rive Gauche

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Holy Grail - Creed Millésime Imperiale
    Signature - Kiton Black
    Others - YSL M7

To be honest, I'm very new and these might change as I experience new fragrances
    Last edited by silverbullet; 24th February 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Holy Grail: Antidote
    Signature: Soon to be Antidote
    Honorable mentions: L'Anarchiste, Grey Flannel.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

1. Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore
    2. Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore
    3. Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive (Swapped. Others loved it on me, I did not.)

Holy Grail? None yet - though the brightest shiniest one so far has been Mazzalori Lui
    Signature? Probably Hermès Concentrée D'Orange Verte - though I rotate reguarly
    Others Like? Hermès Concentrée D'Orange Verte & Cartier Pasha
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 24th February 2008 at 05:27 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Holy Grail - L'Air du Desert Marocain, Gris Clair
    Signature - as with a lot of people here, I rotate regularly but among the most frequently used are Platinum Egoiste, Terre d'Hermes and AdP Colonia.
    Others - LDDM, Musc Ravageur

Holy Grail: I still haven't found what I was originally looking for but have come over some amazing scents along the way: SL's Ambre Sultan & Chergui; FM's Vetiver Extraordinaire; Guerlain's Shalimar & Mitsouko; Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain; Le Labo's Rose 31; YSL Kouros & M7; Bvlgari pour Homme; Creed's Selection Verte & Original Vetiver; just recently Burberry Brit; & Oud. I'm sure I still have many stones left unturned.

Signature Scent: I really would prefer people to NOT associate me with any one particular fragrance. I now have so many fragrances and am simply too impatient to smell something new or different to wear the same fragrance two days in a row. I can totally understand that many would want to find that "perfect scent for the office".

I rarely get compliments here in Norway (you know - these scandinavians) but it does happen every other blue moon. The last time was when I was wearing Divine's L'Homme Sage! (which I also really like)

great thread.

Holy Grail - Musc Ravageur

Signature Scent - dont have one....but I guess Creed OV is the one i can pull out at anytime

Others preference - FM Outrageous, SMW and Musc Ravageur.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Current Holy Grail (and has been since I discovered it): Nicole Miller for Men
    Current Signature: fall/winter - see above, spring/summer - Dune
    Current comment-getting favs: fall/winter - Basala, Idole de Lubin sometimes layered with Black Cashmere, spring/summer - Laguna & SMW

Holy Grail - Cacharel pour L'Homme / Acqua di Parma Colonia

Signature - Guerlain Vetiver

Others enjoy - Original Vetiver, Dior Homme, Black Aoud
    You are not your perfume.

Holy Grail: Annick Goutal Sables

Signature: Erolfa / Yang

Others: Kouros / Geir

Holy Grail: Don't currently have one. No fragrance currently thrills me to that point anymore.

Signature: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

Most complimented: Split between Chanel P.M. Concentree and (2nd most) Versace L'Homme
    (2nd most complimented frag. was formerly YSL pour homme.)
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 24th February 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Holy Grail: Havana Reserva

Signature Scent: Havana Reserva

Most Complimented: Havana Reserva

I guess I'm lucky in that all of these elements are combined in one fragrance. It's not like I wear it all the time either...

Acier Aluminium probably does it for me on all three counts.