Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default The Ultimate Sample Vial Tray/Organizer

I've been waiting M-O-N-T-H-S to share with you what's been in my head. Now, thanks to darling client Bryan and his digital camera, I can.

My prototype for this project was an old dishwasher utensil basket laid on its side. Not too glam (especially as mine was literally salvaged from a dumpster at the city's recycling center), but it allowed for the incubation of an idea.

I then went on the hunt for a serving tray, not knowing how I was going to marry the need for holstering vials with the prettier staging advantages of a tray. I finally found perfection in this Morango Vanity Tray with open, divided sides by designer Tracy Porter.

I ordered this item just before Christmas, and it took a few weeks to arrive. In the meantime, I scoured books at the library to learn the principles and variations for the weaving craft known as caning. After that, I had to decide on what material to use. Actual cane comes in relatively short lengths, which makes for a lot of stops and starts, so, while I love the color and look of the material, I opted to go with a less-expensive, easy-to-use ribbon instead.

The weaving took quite a bit of time, but it was very pleasurable. I made a few missteps, but none too bad.

If I were to do it over, the thing I'd do differently is create my ribbon "plane" below the top edge of the tray rather than above it. I know from the dishwasher basket experiment that vials sit more stably when held low (especially given that, with this tray, the vials are standing on a slick glass surface). Alternatively, if the ribbon were a millimeter wider or the tray's side slots fractionally closer together, the vials would be better gripped, rather than simply supported. (When I move the tray, a few will tilt and need to be righted.)

Note that with regular cane material (which is thin and round like yarn or rope), the open spaces appear rounded, but because of the width of the flat ribbon, the gaps in my caning are square.

Since fragrance samples come with all manner of labeling, including some that stick out like tags, I relabeled most of my samples, which I simply found another fun part of the organizing process (I caught you smiling, Tang!).

As far as organizing the scents themselves, I arranged the rows across the short direction in this way: Guerlains (filling the left-most rows, front to back, in the photo below), simple florals, specialty florals, Orientals & patchoulis, chypres, woods & leather, spices, gourmands & ambers, fruity & sweet, citrus, fresh, green, vetivers, and Demeters (on the right).

There are currently 70 to 80 vials here. There are holes for 221. I like the 1ml vials best for this particular purpose, but all sizes fit fine.

Now, how do I use this beastie? Well, I like to sit with it at night while watching TV and just sniff through it. I'm now on a quest to insert some of the best representative fragrances, even some I'm not crazy about, in order to build an encyclopedic reference. I especially like how I can keep every scent I have right at my fingertips; so now I can store away all the odd decants and just keep a little out to wear as I like. And, of course, I plan to dazzle friends and visitors, too!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: The Ultimate Sample Vial Tray/Organizer

Oh my, Quarry. That is MAGNIFICENT! I stand in awe of your creativity & artistry.

Beautiful, meticulous, and RED... I love it. You could probably start a side line taking requests for these!

Now that's some eye candy....

LOVE IT!

Quarry ~ your ingenuity is unsurpassed! Great job!

I built something quite similar, although I simply used cardboard instead of the nice weave you've got. I poked little holes in the cardboard and the vials are gripped quite tight. It's not attractive, but it works.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

What a great idea, and the tray's beautiful!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

OMG Brilliant idea!!!!!

(Begins plotting collection of materials to start new crafty project....)
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Oh, Quarry, I am in awe: of your determination, your creativity, your obsessiveness. What a beautiful, beautiful object! I am suitably dazzled!

For me, for now, I store my samples in Ziploc sandwich bags, one bag per house, arranged alphabetically, in two Guerlain boxes.

Hats off, dear Q.! Pretty, functional, creative, convenient!

What type of ribbon was it? (5mm rayon or plastic?)
    Last edited by Twolf; 25th February 2008 at 04:50 PM.

insane ≈ genius

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Oh, Quarry, I am in awe: of your determination, your creativity, your obsessiveness. What a beautiful, beautiful object! I am suitably dazzled!

For me, for now, I store my samples in Ziploc sandwich bags, one bag per house, arranged alphabetically, in two Guerlain boxes.
    Too funny THERESE! I'm a ziploc girl as well, also arranged by house. I really wish I had some of Q's creativity!
    Q - I think you should market that idea. Purfume lovers would be stepping over each other to get one! :toppie:
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Blog Entries

Fantastic - and so much better than just throwing them all into a bag, box or drawer. Prettier too!

You da Bomb!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

First time i've been turned on by something to do with fragrances
    Last edited by Vivek; 25th February 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Creative & gorgeous, Quarry - I want one, too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Superb.

To store my samples and decants in the fridge, I used a lot of rubber bands on a tray to 'weave' a tennis racket pattern, so that I can keep my atomizers straight.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

That is so cool!!

Wow - that is impressive and very lovely too!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thank you, thank you, my sweetest ones. The process just didn't feel complete until you were part of it and I could revel in the glow of nice sentiments and really astute observations ("obsessiveness"). If I had the time, I'd make one for every one of you.

To answer your question, Twolfie, I guess the ribbon is rayon since it isn't plastic. It measures 3/16". I still have a lot on the spool, but don't have the packaging for accurate details.

I really respect the cardboard-with-holes and rubber-band stringing ideas--function before form!

I should mention that it is possible to buy mats of prewoven cane webbing in a variety of sizes (Franks Supply), and I'd love to see someone take advantage of it. I almost went that route, but there was a minimum amount to order, and it cost more than I cared to spend. There are also mats of imitation plastic caning on the market, but I didn't trust that the holes would be the right size for the vials. Keep you eyes open for old caned chairs, etc. at rummage sales to convert for vial holding.

Last edited by Quarry; 25th February 2008 at 11:38 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Absolutely ingenious! Consider me dazzled.

summer means fireflys

I'm very impressed! Nice job
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quarry, what a beautiful, creative idea, it's fantastic!! :toppie:
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Wow! Quarry you are an inspiration! Infinitely nicer than where I keep my samples - inside an Adidas shoebox (or on top of it if they are newly acquired)

Quarry your try is ingenious! There is nothing better than a beautiful and functional object.

Perhaps, I am violating the rules, but still bumpling it to the top for everyone to see and feel jealous!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Perhaps, I am violating the rules, but still bumping it to the top for everyone to see and feel jealous!

Oh, we never, never bump.

asphalt

Last edited by asphalt; 4th November 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I saw your new avatar and wondered, "Is that caning? Did she *make* that?" Then I meant to look for a possible thread about it and forgot until I noticed it just now. Wow and WOW! It's really beautiful!

I keep my fumes in a big makeup case that's really just a fancy tackle box. The little samples do well enough in those small stacking sections, but I so admire your setup. A labor of love that came out lovely!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm surprised the effect the tray is beginning to have on me, what with having these little soldiers standing at the ready, versus rolling around in boxes and bowls. I'm doing more side-by-side comparisons and learning--but then, I'm not a natural at this smelling thing, so I need learning aids. Additionally, I seem to be liking all fragrances more. Maybe that's just a mindset--now that I'm not hell bent on finding a holy grail or stocking my wardrobe, I'm simply enjoying diversity.

You are so handy! The tray looks lovely!

Fabulous!

Quarry, ingenious, effective and beautiful too - you would make William Morris proud.

But I've been reading this thread and giggling to myself - I think we're definitely all pretty far gone with this perfume thing now!
    My husband is into model railways and is always a bit sheepish about it because it has a geeky image. I'll show him this thread this evening and he'll probably say he feels better to see that we're all geeks deep down. ( I say that proudly, by the way. Geek is good.)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Quarry, ingenious, effective and beautiful too - you would make William Morris proud.

But I've been reading this thread and giggling to myself - I think we're definitely all pretty far gone with this perfume thing now!
    My husband is into model railways and is always a bit sheepish about it because it has a geeky image. I'll show him this thread this evening and he'll probably say he feels better to see that we're all geeks deep down. ( I say that proudly, by the way. Geek is good.)
    Wow, William Morris proud? I'm dizzied by your flattery, and you haven't even seen some of my stenciling.

But model railroaders! They are the yardstick by which I measure all other geeks. For many a year, in the era before desktop publishing, I and my minions provided the typesetting for America's National Model Railroader Association Bulletin, Prototype Modeler, Passenger Trail Journal, and Private Varnish magazines. I know all too well about those denizens of the basement and their little empires fraught with frogs and wyes and ballast. Even the editors of these magazines referred to their readers as foamers (meaning they're so mad, they foam at the mouth).
    Last edited by Quarry; 30th May 2008 at 01:36 PM.

awesome. I will look for the weave wicker pattern mat at a nearby michael's.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Dependent

WOW

sorry, but im going to have to steal this idea. i think there are some shops around where im from that sell traditional indonesian furniture and artwork.... BRILLIANT

Oh, how beautiful and creative! And useful!

You should make and sell those

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Does one ever tire of reading praise?
    I'll let you know.

Awesome job Quarry. I gotta make myself one!

Just have to add my admiration to the crowd's -- stylish and creative!

That's incredible. I would like something like that to hold my lipsticks.

Wow! Great!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Whoa, you must have a fabulous lipstick collection, Out of Smoke!
    Thanks, Klute.

Seconding make-and-sell advice. Seriously. IS anything like this commercially available?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Has anyone tried to use something like this? I prefer my vials horizontal (easier to read the manufacturer label):
    http://amzn.com/B005MMP0W4
    (Gents Black Mini Stackers Lidded Cufflink and Ring Box Jewelry Storage Organizer Top Tray )

What a brilliant idea!! Absolutely brilliant!
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

Oh yes. I'd need a 2 yards sized one...LOL

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here