Code of Conduct

Default NY Times article: Ahh, the Seductive Frangrance of Molecules under Patent

Article by Chandler Burr on the development of molecules for fragrances:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/23/bu...ce&oref=slogin
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: NY Times article: Ahh, the Seductive Frangrance of Molecules under Patent

Thanks Snafoo

The 'Hindanol' mentioned in the article sounds neat - I'd love to smell a top note sandalwood. I've never heard of 'Holiday Skin' self tanning products...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: NY Times article: Ahh, the Seductive Frangrance of Molecules under Patent

According to C. Burr: <<The innovative scents of these “captives”, as the patented molecules are known, are crucial to enticing consumers to buy the 600 or so new perfumes introduced every year and appealing to buyers of other fragrant products like soaps and air fresheners. Captives have other virtues as well....Thesaron has the fruity/rosy note of a very expensive class of molecules called rose ketones, but it costs far less and can be used in unlimited amounts (rose ketones are restricted because they set off allergic reactions at high doses)...
    Ned Polan, a vice president for fragrance ingredient research at I.F.F., pointed out another quality of captives: they allow perfumers to recreate smells found in nature and create new, wholly unknown ones...>>

<<The Timesarticle claims that using these untested fragrance chemicals is an ecologically sound choice, as it reduces demand for natural resources. Not mentioned: the fact that ingredients in perfumes and body care products that we wash down the drain each day end up contaminating our rivers, lakes and oceans, creating potential problems for local fisheries and aquatic ecosystems. EWG research detected phthalates, common ingredients in fragrance, in wastewater from residences, a nail salon, laundries – and in treated wastewater heading to San Francisco Bay...>>

Patented fragrant materials as our savior? Turin describes 'captives' more like the perfect tool of the 'big five' to chain perfume houses and independent perfume makers to their empires. Monsantoing the fragrance industry.

Last edited by narcus; 13th March 2008 at 06:05 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thanks Snaff...rully enjoyed the piece.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I just read this atricle, along with many others by Chandler Burr, and it is amazing to understand the process of synthesizing molecules that smell like something, which may eventually make it in to a fragrance.

The patenting doesn't stop at the molecules themselves but go further. They patent the ways to isolate the molecules and the prices we pay for them in the bottles varry with the ease of the companies' abilities to sythesize said molecules. It's quite interesting. I've been reading through a whole bunch of his articles.

If you want to keep yourself busy on a bored day then read up. I like Synthetic No. 5, and Smellboudn the most. http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/...t/articles.php

This kind of thing isn't limited to synthetics. Here's an interesting article about the patent (and patent problems) regarding the distillation of oil from Australia's blue cypress tree.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...395850945.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more