Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Which niche houses are generous with samples?

Creed, Tom Ford, Trumper, Hermes

Default Re: Which niche houses are generous with samples?

I had a very pleasant experience with L'Artisan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

I'm sorry most of you had no luck with Azzaro, they were rather generous with me, and them letting me sample ApH a while back, was what got me to buy that fantastic fragrance. They also sent Chome Legend I think, and Silver/Black, and one other. They were quite generous and courteous as well.

I've also contacted Coty and gotten samples of Vera Wang, Obsession Night, and some others. They said "we usually don't send these"..

Of course all the common ones.. Hermes (several times), Tom Ford (very generous), Diptyque, Miller Harris, etc.

Unfortunately had no luck with Hermes (I was asking for Hermessences), though I've written nothing short of a small essay

Are large Houses or small vintage more likely to send you a sample?

Do you ask for specifics? If so how many?
    I'm very intelligent. I'm capable of doing everything put to me. I've launched a perfume and want my own hotel chain. I'm living proof blondes are not stupid.
    Paris Hilton

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for large houses. I've never tried them. But small houses have always been responsive. And I don't ask for a certain number of samples, but I am always sure to note which fragrances I am interested in and then defer to their experience in suggesting any others they think I might enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

requested hermes. anyone have luck with any houses lately?

Post Thanks / Like

Just requested samples from Trance Essence. I am particularly interested in Whyte Rabbit. We'll see how they respond. Anyone have experience with this line? I know that Beauty Habit sells this line. But I don't want to pay $15 for 3 samples. (I only do BH samples when I make a purchase there.)

Post Thanks / Like

Checked the mail today, was pleasantly surprised at a brown envelope with the Amouage logo printed on the edge.

2ml samples of Jubilation XXV and Epic Man.

Quite happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent request emails out to Diptyque, Bvlgari, Hermes, Amouage, Nasomatto, and Serge Lutens about a week ago. I hadn't heard from any of them....then today a package arrived from Hermes.

8 huge samples! Six at about 5-6ml and two at about 2ml.

1 Vetiver Tonka
    2 Paprika Basil
    2 Brin De Reglisse
    1 Poivre Samarcande
    2 Terre D'Hermes

Super generous company! They will get my business.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a package from Hermes today too

2 Vetiver Tonka
    1 Amber Narguile
    1 Paprika Brasil
    1 Brin De Reglisse
    1 Poivre Samarcande

Each vial is four ounces (looks like it'd be 6 oz). Very generous company, and one I now feel indebted to
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Rumblefish!

I already know I'm going to buy a bottle of Terre D'Hermes. I really likey.

UPDATE: When I got home today there was another white padded envelope in the box...Serge Lutens. 1ml of Ambre Sultan and 1.2ml of Gris Claire. I can't wait to properly evaluate these! Will be my first smell of the wild world of Mr. Lutens...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Companies that send out free samples:

Let's collect them here.

Cereus
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Companies that send out free samples:

I think it's a great idea for a thread, provided it doesn't get abused. However unfortunately I have nothing to offer at the moment.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are existing threads on this topic which can be found with a bit of searching.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great idea yes, the only thing is when people start to bombard the same company asking for free samples, they soon stop giving them away, which has a knock on effect for everyone.
    Just find a list of perfume houses from A-Z (many on the net), then it would be easier to send an e-mail to each perfumery of interest, asking if the company either supplies or sells a sample of those you want. Quite a few times if a company knows you are willing to buy a sample rather than just wanting a freebie, they do sometimes ask for your address and send you some out

Serge Lutens are pretty good at sending out a free sample when they have a new fragrance out.

Tom Ford USA send out samples if you pay the shipping costs, Tom Ford Europe are tighter than Ebenezer Scrooge.

Thierry Mugler, Montale, Frederic Malle = Computer says no.

L'Artisan does

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Penhaligon's are usually very obliging.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, L'Artisan certainly does. I've also had luck with Annick Goutal.

Post Thanks / Like

Hermes seems to be generous with samples. The Hermessence line comes in lovely 4ml mini glass test tubes in Hermes orange packaging and they were very willing to replace a couple that broke in the mail.

I had my luck with Hermes (very very generous), Thierry Mugler (they do not reply to email but do send out the samples), Annick Goutal (I asked for an atomizer because mine for Songes was broken and they sent me the atomizer along with 1 sample. I guess this doesn't count though )

Post Thanks / Like

Hermes, definitely!

Thierry Mugler flat out refused on 2 different occasions.

I have had absolutely nothing short of outstanding service when requesting a sample of a new Serge Lutens fragrance. They are the definition of good customer relations!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
    I have had absolutely nothing short of outstanding service when requesting a sample of a new Serge Lutens fragrance. They are the definition of good customer relations!
    Yes if you're in an area of the world they ship to

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hermes flat out refused me. L'Artisan were brilliant and sent me four 1ml samples including a hand-written letter, I will be buying from them. Annick Goutal were also very kind and sent me three samples and a hand-written letter. Serge Lutens sent me four samples, three were 1.2ml sprays and the 4th was a stick in a packet with 'Vetiver Original' written on it.

Re: Cereus, has anyone requested samples from the link in the OP, and if so, how long did they take to arrive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    Hermes flat out refused me. L'Artisan were brilliant and sent me four 1ml samples including a hand-written letter, I will be buying from them. Annick Goutal were also very kind and sent me three samples and a hand-written letter. Serge Lutens sent me four samples, three were 1.2ml sprays and the 4th was a stick in a packet with 'Vetiver Original' written on it.

Re: Cereus, has anyone requested samples from the link in the OP, and if so, how long did they take to arrive?
    My samples just arrived (to Japan) from Cereus today. They came in the form of those single wearing peel off types of samples. Not exactly the format I was looking for, but still, free none the less. And very kind of them to send at their own expense. I'll get around to trying them....

... sometime.

Another question Vitamin B Complex, do you live in Europe? It seems Europe has a better market for free company samples, so I'm just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    My samples just arrived (to Japan) from Cereus today. They came in the form of those single wearing peel off types of samples. Not exactly the format I was looking for, but still, free none the less. And very kind of them to send at their own expense. I'll get around to trying them....

... sometime.

Another question Vitamin B Complex, do you live in Europe? It seems Europe has a better market for free company samples, so I'm just curious.
    Yep, I live in England. When did you request them? Are the peel offs just things you smell or can you actually put the fragrance on?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I live in England. When did you request them? Are the peel offs just things you smell or can you actually put the fragrance on?
    Bummer. Looks like Serge Lutens's is probably out for me then, as I believe they'll only ship within Europe.

As far as when I requested them, I think it was the same day this thread went up, so it took a tiny bit of time, but I live in Japan, so that might be a factor. As far as exactly what type they are, the instructions on the cards just say peel off and apply to skin, so I assume that they have some juice on them, but probably not enough to get a proper "feel" of the fragrance.

Gift horse and all that. Still, some gift horse's teeth are a bit nicer than others.

Post Thanks / Like

I see, did they email you back or anything? I filled in the request on the site and never got anything back.

Serge Lutens are very good for samples IMO, the three I got (technically 4) I've sprayed two of them once and they're quite nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I see, did they email you back or anything? I filled in the request on the site and never got anything back.

Serge Lutens are very good for samples IMO, the three I got (technically 4) I've sprayed two of them once and they're quite nice.
    Haha. Jealous.

Anyway, no, they didn't email me back or anything. However I've found that most don't. If you include your address in the initial request sometimes they'll just ship it to you without a reply. Others you'll never hear (or smell) from.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the latest news on samples noadays? Who was successful recently and with which company?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's been around for years now, but I did the Malle questionnaire recently and had a good experience. Granted it was $20, but given what their samples sell for on e-bay, I thought it was money well spent. As an aside, if you want something other than the ones they will suggest for you, you might try using the "or call our store" option ( OMG : Podunk me is talking to someone on Madison Avenue in NYC !!) to place your order, rather than just responding to their e-mail. If you have something you really want, it's possible they will send you the three that they have suggested, along with another that you might request.

A very pleasant outfit to deal with, in my limited experience. Even when one has to pay for samples, if the folks on the other end treat you well, they are both providing you with an experience with their product, and leaving the potential customer with a good impression of the house as well.

UPDATE -

Emailed Amouage late last night, this morning receieved an email. The email basically said "it's not company policy to provide free samples...","however, as you are a regular customer, I'll send you a couple...". We shall see what turns up EDIT - I emailed two different addresses and have received two different answers.

1) the above (also, we definitely don't do oil samples - haha I tried).
    2) we definitely do not do perfume samples but I can blot some attar on paper and send it.

Looks like I'm going to get both things that I requested. Pleased!

And Parfums de Nicolai, "we don't send or sell samples...", but I'm offered some scent strips. I'm not a big fan of scent strips, but I'll accept if the company really don't do proper samples...

I only emailed these guys last night, so each reply has taken around 10hours to arrive. Impressed
    Last edited by boosh; 8th September 2011 at 01:29 PM.

I'm much more willing to get a FB from a house that sends me samples than from one that declines or doesn't respond at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I'm much more willing to get a FB from a house that sends me samples than from one that declines or doesn't respond at all.
    It's never a deal breaker for me but it's a very nice touch for sure.

Bond No.9 is very good at mailing samples!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Same. I'll buy direct from a company that sends me samples. I'll look for another source for a company that doesn't even have the time to respond, especially if I tell them I'm willing to pay for the samples and shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Same. I'll buy direct from a company that sends me samples. I'll look for another source for a company that doesn't even have the time to respond, especially if I tell them I'm willing to pay for the samples and shipping.
    I won't pay for samples or shipping because I'm tight, but I will buy from companies that send me samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Bond No.9 is very good at mailing samples!
    Gary
    I wish this were true for me but they won't even respond to an email and the page for ordering samples does not work in their web page... They just started selling this in our local Nordstrom's and they did not have a sample of New Your Oud in one of their bon-bons so I got a tiny little bit in a Nordstrom's sample sprayer, but hardly enough to spray, maybe 1/4ml. Really stingy with samples here.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had good experience with both L'Artisan and Diptyque

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    I've had good experience with both L'Artisan and Diptyque
    + 1 For Diptyque (Awesome customer service)

- 1 For L'Artisan (in Japan at least, they told me to look for a local Barneys)

Post Thanks / Like

From which address did you ask for Hermes samples (in EU)? I just got a mail from them saying that samples are reserved for "professional purposes"....

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed the Hermes US site just requesting one sample, and they sent it plus a HORDE of other samples to my US address, which was then forwarded to me. Really generous of them. I don't remember getting any word from the Japanese one though (which is where I initially tried to contact), maybe the European ones are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

It´s really stupid of them, as Hermes doesn´t sell their fragrances in Finland at all, and I cannot sample them anywhere here. Well, it´s their loss.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're willing to just drop a few dollars you can pick them up on theperfumedcort, though I suppose it defeats the purpose of this thread. Still worth a shot if you have no other option.

Here:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Manufacturers/Hermes.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I´ve ordered from them a few things. If I can´t resist the Hermes call, I´ll send them mail again.

Requested information about Fragonard's natural single-note fragrances (there are 4) and out of the blue they sent me free samples
    of each one without specifically asking for them. What a pleasant surprise!

Frederic Malle just sent me five requested samples for free. It was like getting blood from a stone at first, but I ground them down - LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Frederic Malle just sent me five requested samples for free. It was like getting blood from a stone at first, but I ground them down - LOL!
    How many tries did it take?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Requested information about Fragonard's natural single-note fragrances (there are 4) and out of the blue they sent me free samples
    of each one without specifically asking for them. What a pleasant surprise!
    Fragonard sent me samples as well-- very nice service.

Also wanted to post this: Serge Lutens sends out sets of wax samples on request (use the contact info on their website). These are small circles of creamy wax that can be smoothed over your skin, rather like a perfume solid, but not quite so solid. Be specific about the ones you want as they come in sets.

Allow time-- it took about 3-4 weeks for ours to arrive, and we had no email reply to our request-- one day the samples just arrived.

Post Thanks / Like

For free, eh ?

I went the route of paying them $20 through their website questionnaire, and then when I called them to confirm the ones they had suggested, I got them to add another. They were pretty nice on the phone, and $20 seemed good compared to getting them through other sources. It seems to be their policy to also include a hand-written note, which is not something you see much these days.

How many tries did it take?
    It took one prolonged try which lasted about two weeks. I emailed asking for some specific samples, they pointed me in the direction of the 17 Euros for X amount of samples which Birdboy48 is talking about. I emailed back saying that I felt dodgy sending my card details over email, they said I could ring them and do it over the phone. I was a bit annoyed, really don't like paying for samples.

In a bit of a mood due to something unrelated (), I emailed them back an angry response along the lines of: "crap customer service, no free samples = no purchase". I basically threw my toys out the pram, when I read that email back it is rather embarrassing. A whole week later they responded:

"Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.

We are happy to announce you that we will send you tomorrow the samples requested for free."

And there you have it.

Post Thanks / Like

In a bit of a mood due to something unrelated (), I emailed them back an angry response along the lines of: "crap customer service, no free samples = no purchase"... A whole week later they responded:

"Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.

We are happy to announce you that we will send you tomorrow the samples requested for free."

LOL : So much for the "You catch more bees with honey" approach.

I bet you did not get the kindly hand-written card from Gilda though. Too bad her handwriting does not convey that attractive french accent of hers.

Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post

I bet you did not get the kindly hand-written card from Gilda though.
    My note was from Alison

Good luck.I think that the samples actually are not free.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to get some Hermes samples. I already own 7 of their fragrances! Does anyone know the email I would write to? Or Phone number? And what would you suggest to say? THANKS!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    I'd love to get some Hermes samples. I already own 7 of their fragrances! Does anyone know the email I would write to? Or Phone number? And what would you suggest to say? THANKS!
    On their website click United States, then Online Boutique, then Customer Service. The contact link opens up.

Just ask for samples of the specific ones you want. Short and sweet! I wouldn't list the ones you already own, as the C.S. rep may misread that and send you the very ones you already have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lew11is22 View Post
    Amouage and Geo F. Trumper's both sent me very generous sample packages
    Where do you live though? I have yet to hear anything from Amouage three months or so after inquiring.

Post Thanks / Like

In my recent sample adventures, here are some results I am receiving from my latest inquiries in the past two weeks. I always include a short personal story about myself and my journey beyond the conventional scents I find at my area malls, include no more than 3-4 specific sample requests, and always offer to cover postage/handling expenses in return for their consideration. Here are a few replies coming in thus far:

Tom Ford (tomfordinternational.com): "Thank you for your email and interest in TOM FORD. Unfortunately, we are unable to send you fragrance samples as they are held in-store for clients visiting our boutiques."

Floris Fragrance: "I would be more than happy to send you the listed complimentary samples and hope you enjoy them."

Czech & Speake: Offers a full line of samples for a very reasonable £5.75 to cover international air mail shipping costs to the United States. In return, they sent not one but two vouchers for a total of £10 to apply to a future order. This goes a very long way towards meeting customers more than half-way. They provide a generous package of samples and protect themselves from abuse.

Hermes: "It would be our pleasure to send you a sample of this fragrance. Please allow us a week or so to process your request." (I requested four samples, actually -- this looks like a generic acknowledgment of my request.)

On a side note, LuckyScent is providing free complimentary samples of various frags from Maison Francis Kurkdjian. These can be requested even on orders only containing samples. I have requested 3-4 in orders of $50+ and always received them. I can't say enough good things about LuckyScent. These folks process orders amazingly fast, will ship Priority Mail upon request, and with various coupon codes you can Google around for, ship for free. Everything arrives in great condition, e-mail gets very fast replies, and they couldn't be more gracious. I have given them more than $150 of my business so far.

Now a word about samples in general. In my journeys through different fragrance websites, and the communications I have had with some of the staff, here are my impressions:

1. Large and medium-sized fragrance houses seem to budget most of their promotional funds towards new fragrance lines. I can't tell you how many times I have encountered websites and pages for product launches more than a year old that literally seem to be abandoned by the webmasters. Flash videos and effects that no longer work properly, dead pages, "under construction," and other anomalies were all over the place. It almost makes you think some of these scents (and houses) were discontinued. Your chances of getting a sample of a fragrance whose promotional budget has been exhausted is pretty low unless you have an established business relationship with them and are already a valued customer.

2. The most candid replies I have received from my phone calls and e-mails are consistent: eBay abuse is the single largest factor why fragrance houses are not sending out generous samples any longer. I've heard them called "bottom feeders," "thieves," and "abusers." When a company in Paris, London, or some other place fulfills generous sample requests only to find them turning up for sale on eBay, it's discouraging to say the least. One rep told me they've literally had people requesting dozens of samples under various addresses (fake apartment numbers, P.O. boxes, etc.) all tracked back to a single IP address. These later turn up for $5 or more each on eBay, after the company spent hundreds of dollars on the product, packaging and airmail shipping more than a dozen parcels, only to enrich someone else who had zero intention of buying. This only had to happen once and that was it for samples from this particular house.

Fragrance houses are watching eBay, and they know when their samples turn up, and are particularly incensed when someone shows up selling entire lots in quantities of 10 or more, all illegitimately requested for free. This is an especially sensitive issue for smaller niche companies and those offering super-premium fragrances.

3. Sales reps helping themselves to generous quantities of samples for resale while withholding them from customers is another serious problem. Again, eBay is responsible. Some are becoming more aggressive about tracking back those responsible by marking or identifying samples and testers and figuring out where they are going. But this ongoing activity has soured some companies on samples because the abuse has become so rampant. Carefully watched in store testers, and those annoying sample cards and even worse -- ad inserts impregnated with something resembling the scent, are becoming more and more common.

In general, blind sample requests are most easily filled by smaller houses and those larger ones that have specific budgets to handle these requests. CSRs are given broad latitude to fulfill these at their discretion, and they are wary of those that seem generic, demanding, and impersonal. I was told by one firm that my offer to pay shipping and handling costs, and the personal story about why I was interested in their fragrances, was what made them feel good about fulfilling my request at their own expense. When writing to European companies, I've found the formal approach to be much more effective than casual, short requests. Keep it classy. When samples do arrive, always and I mean always write back and let them know they arrived safely, thank them again, and let them know how much you appreciate receiving samples. Whenever possible, patronize the companies that were most generous with you and let them know their generosity made a significant difference when you decided to do business with them.

I understand how counter-intuitive it is to try and market something so personal as a fragrance and then act stingy when someone hundreds of miles from the nearest store requests a sample of something they are expected to pay $100 or more to purchase. Nobody minds if someone tries a scent, doesn't like it, and resells it to someone else. But when people specifically go into business reliant on requesting dozens of free samples only to resell, some companies have taken drastic measures to get the problem under control, and that hurts all of us.