Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Default Master List re: free samples

Redacted
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Default Re: Master List re: free samples

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    3-Penhaligon's
    Lucky dude. I asked them for some samples, here is their answer:
    "Unfortunately we are unable to sent the samples you requested."

Blog Entries

I've had great experiences with:

Truefitt & Hill
    Penhaligon's
    Hermes
    Ormonde Jayne
    Geo F. Trumer
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

I got many free samples from DIPTYQUE.

just sent an email to Diptyque.

I've had the exceptional sample service with TM too. In addition, Geir replied saying they'd sent me a sample of Geir Ness, but I never got it.

Don't forget L'Artisan's excellent five-samples-for-$7-shipping deal (only works in the U.S., I'm afraid).

Some people have apparently received samples from Frédéric Malle's recommendation program. All I got was an e-mail saying that, if I went to the boutique, they'd suggest I smell Bois d'Orage (thanks...I already knew that I wanted to try Bois d'Orage).

My experience with some other companies mentioned:

Geo. F Trumper has a terrifically generous sample pack (which doesn't include everything so be sure to specify anything you're particularly interested in and they'll add it).

Penhaligon's is, as far as I can tell, completely random. I sent them an e-mail requesting a sample of Hammam Bouquet. They never replied. Two months later a very generous sample arrived. Go figure.

I sent an e-mail to Diptyque about four months ago and received neither a reply nor samples.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 19th August 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added notes on Diptyque and Malle.

6-Ormonde Jayne
    That's surprising! Their website lists a "sample programme" that consists of 10 EDPs for £28, which is far from free.

What's the secret to getting a free sample from them? I've always wanted to try Ormonde Man!

Ormonde Jayne gave me 2 standard size glass vials each with a sprayer. The samples came wrapped in a black envelope sealed with a sticker. To get the samples i use a 5 step system: 1) told them i was interested in their product, 2) named the products i was interested in, 3) told them i could not find samples, 4) that i want to try before i purchase, and 5) 2nd dose of flattery about their product.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    That's surprising! Their website lists a "sample programme" that consists of 10 EDPs for £28, which is far from free.

What's the secret to getting a free sample from them? I've always wanted to try Ormonde Man!
    Tell me about it! I paid nearly 40 bucks and some change for the Sample Programme. It's basically the entire line... a million women's scents (Ta'if and Tolu were kinda nice actually) two masculines (which was all I wanted to sample anyway) and the drop dead gorgeous Orris Noir unisex. Iskander and Ormonde Man didn't move me at all.

Ormonde Jayne gave me 2 standard size glass vials each with a sprayer. The samples came wrapped in a black envelope sealed with a sticker. To get the samples i use a 5 step system: 1) told them i was interested in their product, 2) named the products i was interested in, 3) told them i could not find samples, 4) that i want to try before i purchase, and 5) 2nd dose of flattery about their product.
    Right, I told them I was no interested in the women's perfumes in the set, but would gladly pay for men's only. got the same beautifully packed set with the two men's plus (unisex) Orris noir. And after disliking them at the outset i really came around to liking them, too. First Isfarkand, then Ormond Man.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Got another samples from Ermenegildo Zegna (see above).

This Ormande Jayne Man EDP lasts forever, the difference between EDT and EDP is drastic. It is much better, now i want to get my hands on more EDPs!!!! The Oris Noir was EDP too but it smelled like "old lady perfume."
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 20th August 2008 at 10:07 PM.

I got some free samples in the past, so i'm not one to complain, however I would strongly suggest to offer to pay for their shipping cost. We don't want them to stop sending samples because they give away free samples and pay for the shipping, and then no one ends up buying anything.

My experience with the following:

1-Thierry Mulger - No Reply
    2-Truefitt & Hill - Brilliant - they sent 0.8ml samples of their range
    3-Penhaligon's - no answer
    4-Nautica - directed me to the Coty website
    5-Hermes - a very rude standard looking e-mail which directed me to the nearest Hermes store... in Rome (their fragrances are not THAT good)
    6-Ormonde Jayne - haven't tried
    7-Amouage - 3 samples - very nice
    8-Miller Harris - I asked for 3 samples, and I received a wonderful hand written letter + the samples I requested
    11-Angela Flanders -there's a charge per sample + postage
    12-Ermenegildo Zegna - no answer
    13-Diptyque - no answer
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Sure Leor 77, ill pay the shipping cost, just deposit the $ in my paypal account and i will do just that! The fact is sending samples is free advertising for them. And, simply put, im not going to pay for shipping when they offer it for free, that is just plain ridiculous!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 21st August 2008 at 11:56 PM.

MLT. what kind of letter did you send?

Hi guys, i am interested in getting some samples but im not sure what to include in the email. Do include your address or wait for a reply before giving them your address? Also how exactly do you request for samples? (a template would be nice)

I sent an email to L'artisan in UK(boutiquecale) and they told me to head to their nearest store or buy them online.

Clueless, here is the formula i used: Always include your address on the 1st try, express interest, ask about 3-4 of their scents, say you cant find them by you, say you wanna try before you buy, and then ask. So far, i got 11 samples using the aforementioned! I have a huge bag now of 40+ samples, all of which were free!!!!!!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Be careful guys... you're going to end up with annoyed companies once you get a flurry of requests for FREE samples. I've gotten free samples but I never advertise it to my friends because they quickly revoke those policies once a pile of people ask for freebies. Posting these freebie threads sometimes do much more damage than good. If you don't actually want to sample as a means to decide on a later purchase, you may want to skip over the freebie deals. Just be cognizant of those effects to not ruin those policies with a ton of people just wanting freebies.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Sure Leor 77, ill pay the shipping cost, just deposit the $ in my paypal account and i will do just that! The fact is sending samples is free advertising for them. And, simply put, im not going to pay for shipping when they offer it for free, that is just plain ridiculous!
    Why not? It might be free advertising for them, but 99% of the people who would jump on something free might not have any inclination to make a purchase even before they ask for something free.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Why not? It might be free advertising for them, but 99% of the people who would jump on something free might not have any inclination to make a purchase even before they ask for something free.
    I second, third, and fourth that.

I'll leave it at that for now.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I forgot to tell you that I got free samples from Diptyque by sending an email, written in french, to their official customer service. You can find it at their website.

I am totally favorable to full disclosure of free sample deals! It should be in the interest of the companies to make their products known.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 22nd August 2008 at 03:33 AM.

Unless there's a specific company policy one way or another, I'd bet getting samples depends on who receives your request and how it's written. I just tried Escentric Molecules and will report back. I did not, as suggested, include my address on the first email because I took the 'how to I obtain samples' tact hoping they'll say 'we'll send them to you' instead of outright asking for a freebie by including my address. We'll see how it goes...

MLT. what kind of letter did you send?
    A very polite e-mail, telling them that I am a fragrance enthusiast and that I'm interested in their range (I mention a couple of the scents I'm interested in) and I tell them that I can't find any of them locally.

Personally, I've never bought a full bottle before sampling first and giving the fragrance a full wear. When I didn't do this, I was bitterly disappointed.

Samples are a promotional tool - and I find it rather strange that some firms ask you to pay for "the pleasure" or of sampling their fragrances. There are hundreds of fragrance companies, and many people will just move on to the next company. The attitude of Hermes has totally put me off their fragrances.

With regards to paying for the shipping, I don't object if the company in question is a small perfumery. Nor do I object to buying samples from other basenoters. However when it comes to perfume companies, I can't help but think that these churn out profit after profit - and shipping costs would cost them next to nothing.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    A very polite e-mail, telling them that I am a fragrance enthusiast and that I'm interested in their range (I mention a couple of the scents I'm interested in) and I tell them that I can't find any of them locally.

Personally, I've never bought a full bottle before sampling first and giving the fragrance a full wear. When I didn't do this, I was bitterly disappointed.

Samples are a promotional tool - and I find it rather strange that some firms ask you to pay for "the pleasure" or of sampling their fragrances. There are hundreds of fragrance companies, and many people will just move on to the next company. The attitude of Hermes has totally put me off their fragrances.

With regards to paying for the shipping, I don't object if the company in question is a small perfumery. Nor do I object to buying samples from other basenoters. However when it comes to perfume companies, I can't help but think that these churn out profit after profit - and shipping costs would cost them next to nothing.
    While I totally agree, perhaps charging for samples, or for S&H, has something to do with all the people reselling 'free' samples on eBay. It's pretty obvious that greedy SAs are swiping samples from stores and reselling them, and that 'free' samples from houses like Bond 9, L'Artisan, Hermes, and Malle are now going for big bucks on eBay. Perhaps charging a little might discourage this somewhat. Or perhaps it just made the houses realize they could charge for samples.

First, i think everyone has made some excellent points in this thread and, upon further review, I have come to the conclusion that "publishing" information regarding free samples may cause the process to spike, thus leading the fragrances co.'s to stop providing samples for free. I think the sample process as a whole can be useful and for someone like me, who will spends alot of money purchasing fragrances because i need to know what is out there to make my purchases. The only way i know what is out there is by asking for samples. Often i do not have time to seek the fragrances out as quickly as i would like, so having samples sent to me is a Godsend that saves me mass amounts of time. Now with that said, will i purchase from every company that provided me with samples? No. But i can tell you this much, based upon my sampling i have, in fact, ordered a bottle of Amouage's XXV and Thierry Mugler's A*MEN aftershave splash. I feel that most Basenoters, much like myself, actually use the sample process to, in fact, sample. I do not think that Basenoters are the type who are cowering over the samples thinking "Woo-hoo i got something for free, i scammed these companies." Listen, our group, as a whole spends alot of money with these companies, ALOT! They should be happy to have our business by sending us samples. Keep in mind that this list was released for other Basenoters and not in any other forum, and, we, in fact, have a propensity to buy! Often, if the scent is good then this will be the hook that gets us to purchase more. I hope this clarifies my position.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Default Any places give away free samples?

I'm kind of cheap. I'd be willing to pay shipping I guess.

Default Re: Any places give away free samples?

L'Artisan allows you to order 5 free samples (you pay shipping) via their website, and Bond No.9 has a similar deal (6 samples, you pay shipping). Plenty of places offer free samples with purchase. If you want free samples without purchase, you have to go to Norstroms or Sephora.

Default Re: Any places give away free samples?

If you have something specific in mind, you might contact the perfumer/designer/company directly and ask. This worked for me with Agatha Brown. I sent an inquiry about samples via the contact page on her website, and she sent me free samples of her two men's fragrances without a shipping charge. Can't hurt to ask.

On a related note, I was sniffing around my local Macy's one day recently and asked the SA if she had any samples. She said they didn't have much because it was right after the holidays, but she did give me four 1.5-ml spray samples of Beckham Signature; I guess they were trying to get rid of them. She did say to come back because they would have others later. Again, can't hurt to ask.

Now what am I going to do with all this Beckham?

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast