Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: getting free company samples

I wrote to The Art of Shaving regarding a sample of their Sandalwood fragrance, and generously, they sent me a general sample kit (a small booklet and samples of shaving creams/after-shave balms,etc) for free. It included a small sample of Sandalwood Essencial Oil EDT, but it's kind of like a scented tissue. When I opened the seal, I first was impressed by the eucalyptus-woody sandalwood (very medicinal). I actually kind of maybe liked it. Unfortunately, there was no way to keep this tissue wet and scented, and it eventually dried out in a matter of hours. I usually test-drive fragrance thoroughly because I may like the scent from a bottle but I might not like how it smells on my skin, or I may simply get sick of it after using several times like "Oh, the fir needles it are getting a little too much!". To prove you dislike something is fairly easy. Smell once and if you don't like it at that point, (though it may grow on you after frequent use) chances are you don't like it. On the other hand, it takes such a long process to prove to yourself that you truly like something. In my case, I usually need 5 to 10ml before I can comfortably say "I like it!" (typical samples in one of those 1ml vials are usually too little for me to reach the verdict on my mind) . Well, this AoS sample was a tissue (which lookes exactly like one of those disposable alcohol pads we use in a hospital, but less wet than that), and there was no way I could test-drive it, to begin with. It's almost like smelling from a bottle at a department store once, and trying to recall what it smells like later. I guess I like it because it's a very refined and sharp sandalwood, but I may get to dislike it eventually (after using several times) because it may be too medicinal with eucalyptus. Now, I'm left here with a nice alluring booklet saying "Sandalwood Essential Oil EDT $70" on its last page, a dried-out sample tissue (wow, "sample tissue" almost sounds like a medical term, doesn't it?), and the poor heart of mine who cannot decide if I like it or not....... Thank you, The Art of Shaving, but....... I guess I should try to find some small decants on the swapping/selling forum though so far I haven't seen any.... *

VV

OK so I'm new to BN also and wanted to explore niche scents. That's why I jumped on the bandwagon when I heard about free samples. I haven't recieved anything yet, but have positive email responses from:

Trumper, Ormonde Jayne, Amouage, Malle, and Art of Shaving.

Still waiting for Truefitt and Hill, and hopefully I would love to get back from L'artisan.

BTW, how are people getting samples from Lutens, all I found was a phone number on the website listed?

Finally got two Frederic Malle 5ml samples and a lovely handwritten note!!! :-* ;D ;D
    Le Parfums de Therese and Noir Epices. Sampled Therese and it's lovely, beautifully complex but dunno whether I'd make a buy of it. Alas, Noir Epices started off strong and interesting, but degenerated to sharp cold earth similar to that found in a crypt. :-/
    Smells magnificent on my brother though, it runs the full gamut of complexity on him :

Couldn't believe how generous they were. Now if only they had a counter in Oz so I could test more and find a HG to invest in.
    Maybe in 10 years... Oz is soooo far behind :

Default I'm glad I have a big mailbox!

Today, I got 5 Amouage samples (with a packing slip), 2 5ml spray samples from Malle along with a hand-written note, and 7 samples from Truefitt plus 2 shaving cream's and some balm.

The samples from Palais also had a small hand-written note included, and a book about the company and the fragrances (in french), and the Truefitt one came with a catalog.

This stuff worked out pretty well.

Can someone describe what wax samples are?

Another person happy with Editions de Parfums here, they sent me a well packaged box containing a hand-written note and two 5ml sprays of Noir Epices and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

The wax samples I got are each a little circle cut out of one of two layers of cardboard, and filled with the wax, and covered with a peel-off plastic cover. The wax is very soft, and can be rubbed into your skin. I think they use wax because of shipping regulations on alcohol (flammable) or because it's cheaper. You don't get much, but you can probly get 3 applications out of it, or 2 if you use a lot.

I got my samples from Trumper yesterday, 8 sample vials in a little cloth pouch.

I received all the truefitt and hill samples, and these l'artisan samples:

Ananas Fizz
    Mure et musc
    vanilila
    navegar
    tea for two
    l'eau d'lartisan

ananas fizz is so addicting so far, smells like pineapple soda

flying moose, where did you get the sample request form for serge lutens???

I emailed Givenchy for a sample of Pi and they emailed back with:

Dear Mr Basile,

Today, I am sending you at the address that you mentionned below a sample
    of Eau de Toilette Pi.

We hope that you will enjoy this product.

Best regards

Aurelie Bonjour
    Consumer Service

That was 11/6 and it arrived 11/12. To my surprise when I opened the package they also sent me a sample of VI for Men, with a kind letter of:

Dear Mr. Basile,

Following to your email, we have the pleasure to send you a sample of Eau de Toilette Pi. We hope you will enjoy this fragrance.

We also have the pleasure to send you a sample to introduce you to our new Eau de Toilette for Men: Very Irresistible for Men.

Assuring you always of our best attention.

Yours Sincerely,

Aurelie Bonjour
    Consumer Service

Note of my own: I will be buying both of these fragrances very soon. ;D

I sent some emails out to the majority of the companies mentioned in this thread really late last night. I have yet to get a reply from any of them and it's 1:25 PM.

I asked for samples of their products in most of them, but it was so late a night that I forgot to mention names of their fragrances. Do you think it will have any effect on them?

Quote Originally Posted by shogunw00t
    I sent some emails out to the majority of the companies mentioned in this thread really late last night. I have yet to get a reply from any of them and it's 1:25 PM.
    patience, young skywalker. it's sunday.

I asked for samples of their products in most of them, but it was so late a night that I forgot to mention names of their fragrances. Do you think it will have any effect on them?
    you can wait and see what you get. if they don't send you the ones you want, just write again.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Some companies kindly write you back saying "we will send you some samples" (Amouage and Trumper are great examples), but some others don't. Some of the latter group are just too prestigeous to write back to individual fans any more, namely Chanel and Guerlain (they never wrote me back or sent me anything), but most are kind enough to send you something by mail eventually, from my experience. Anyhow, patience seems to be a key here because, whether or not they write back, they truly take their time. It took me about one month before I finally got Trumper samples. They're really generous, though. I received 10 samples in a small sac with a logo of Trumper, though I requested only a sandalwood cologne sample. Divine also took their time, but they sent me a sample of not only L'Homme Sage (isn't this cologne great?) and L'Homme de Coeur (this is what Dior Homme fails to smell like, IMHO!), but also some others like L'Ame Soeur, Divine EDP. and L'Infante. *What truly amazed me was L'Artisan. I remember writing to them as if writing to Santa Claus, "I'm interested in Dzing, Mechant Loup, Eau de L'Artisan, Bois Farine, Passage d'Enfer......" hoping I'd be lucky enough to get at least one of these. To my surprise, they sent me a nice sample of all the the fragrances I had listed in my email! Probably, one of big disappointments was Floris. I asked them a sample of Sandalwood. They were kind enough to write me back saying "We will have someone send you something", but all I received was what must have been a piece of scented paper, which was already dry in a regular paper envelope and did not give off any scents any more by the time it got here. Well, besides the few generous companies I mentioned above. most of the great samples I have now (CdG, for example) are from generous Basenoters like Scentemental and Buffalo_Gal. They are very generous and whenever I purchase decants from them. they*kindly let me choose some samples from their loaded list. The packages they send me are always loaded with interesting samples..... Anyway, going back to the main topic, patience is the key when it comes to obtaining samples from fragrance companies for free.

VV

I got two samples of Ormonde on Friday. I tried them both and don't particularly like either one of them.

I found the Lutens request form on the internet archive, it's from like 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    It took me about one month before I finally got Trumper samples. They're really generous, though. I received 10 samples in a small sac with a logo of Trumper, though I requested only a sandalwood cologne sample.
    I'm relieved to read this, because they promptly answered my request and told me the samples were on their way, but that was three weeks ago, and I must admit I was starting to lose hope. Now I'm optimistic again ;D
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I contacted Divine fragrances to obtain salmples of L’homme sage and L’homme de Coeur and received this response:

"Cher Monsieur,

First of all I would like to thank you for your interest in our perfumes.

I am pleased to inform you that samples of our creations have been sent to you today.

I hope that Divine fragrances will charm you.

Do not hesitate to contact us again for any question or comment.

Très cordialement,

Ms Katell PERENNOU
    Export manager"

haven't received the samples yet but the response was very gracious.

B.G.

I didn't know if it'd work, but I tried emailing Editions de Parfums (Frederic Malle), "I've been a great fan of Concentree Bigarade. I'd like to know if there's anyway I can obtain a sample of fragrance called Noir Epices....." Of course, they did not write me back. But several weeks passed. and to my surprise! I receive a 5ml spray bottle of Noir Epices. The scent per se was not that impressive (a lot of ginger, isn't there?), but I was moved by their generosity! *

Frederic Malle are great! I emailed them about 2 weeks ago expressing an interest in trying 4 of their fragrances and asking whether they'd be kind enough to send me samples.

So what bobs up in my mailbox today? Free 5 ml samples of all four fragrances, together with a lovely handwritten note from FM! All the way from Paris to Sydney.

I participated in their questionaire the other day and they e-mailed me back with suggestions! They said they would send samples if I'm not close to one of their stores so I asked for noir epices, musc ravageur, and vetiver extraordinaire. They haven't e-mailed me back yet but I did leave an adress so hopefully it is coming in soon : )

Default where can i ask for free samples ?

hi everybody i'd like to know if you could give me some brands address on the web to ask for free samples ,did you try on serge lutens ? i'would like to try many fragrances but i dont know what to do

the ones i look for

guerlain
    lutens
    caron
    cdg
    floris
    penhaligon's
    creed

Default Re: where can i ask for free samples ?

the easiest way is to simply buy all of them from someone. That way, you get everything you want and in a good time frame. Free is a better price, but it takes some effort.

Many topics on this subject already. Search the community. You will have a hard time finding "free" samples of all those scents. Go to the buy and sway forum and see what you can find.

Jim

Trumpers and Amouage came up big with samples and in a very short time.

Here are some brands I've recieved free samples of (you can find their e-mail address on their homepages):

IUNX
    L'Artisan
    Frederic Malle
    Amouage
    Trumper
    Ormonde Jayne
    Divine

Default Which niche houses are generous with samples?

I'm going crazy trying to contact every niche house to get samples in my search for new, great scents. I just now sent emails to Malle and Divine, but am looking for more. If you guys know which houses usually give samples and have their contact info, that would be awesome! This could be sort of like a niche house contact directory thread. Thanks for the help guys!

Default Re: Which niche houses are generous with samples?

Trumpers.com sent me sample vials of almost the entire mens line and 6 shaving soaps in a special drawstring Trumper bag all for free, visit the site and email them requesting samples, hope this helps...Gio

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    I did the same thing to Lubin. Since i have no excess to the new Idole, i e-mailed them and i got a sincere reply asking for my address so they can send me some samples. Such houses have excellent services.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Montale. 8 samples
    Trumper
    Frederic Malle: 2 x 5ml samples

To add some, I have recieved the whole Amouage and Ormonde Jayne men's-line, and a couple from L'Artisan