Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: getting free company samples

I found this thread a couple days ago, and went a bit crazy with requests... so far:

Positive, next-day response from Ormonde Jayne.

2 days later, Acqua di Parma rep. told me about a 'gift card event' at Bergdorf Goodman in NY that would be a good opportunity to purchase AdP. I informed her that as I live in CALIFORNIA, that doesn't really help me (I was more polite than that)! Restated my request to sample Lavinda Tonica before ordering online or driving 2 hrs to San Francisco... we'll see. Still waiting on several others, I'll update.

I just found this thread - wow...heaps of info to take on board...thanks so much for everyone's help...I've written to some of the companies mentioned... will update you on how I go.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, while doing some emailing to companies I'm interested in, I emailed Floris London asking whether they had any samples they could send me...last Friday, I received a huge package from them..inside were 18 x 2ml vials of different fragrances, plus a couple of sachets of skin lotions and a 25ml shaving balm sample...was very surprised because of their generosity...I think I'll end up buying something from them!!

I've also received samples from L'artisan (4 x 1ml vials) and Guepard (2 x 1.5ml vials - Miss Guepard & Fashion for Men - in a plastic case). I've also gotten some positive responses from Agent Provocateur, Azzaro, Eau d'Italie and Viktor & Rolf saying that samples are on the way...whether they end up arriving, I don't know...will let you all know whether they come through or not!
    Last edited by gloomy_liv; 29th December 2006 at 01:38 AM.

Let's revive this old thread - about time that we check if these contacts still work, and to share some new ones we've discovered.

I contacted Penhaligon's a while ago through their customer services e-mail, and asked for a sample of Castile (since it isn't included in their sample pack). Arrived in a week, a carded 1.5ml sample vial.

Contacted L'Artisan, Ormonde Jayne and LV, will update.
    Last edited by heythatslife; 26th February 2008 at 04:50 AM.

Default On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

Yep, there is an identical thread to this and i've read it all, but what I'd like to know is how to get samples now...i.e. I'm sure many companies that used to send out samples don't anymore. I've already sent out to Frederic Malle, Amouage, L'Artisan, Art of Shaving, Trumper, Truffett and Hill, Diptyque, Creed, Bond No. 9, and Ormonde Jayne, and I have included my address in the emails that i've sent to them because i've heard of people not getting any responses, but still receiving samples in the mail. So i'll let you guys know how this turns out

By the way, what is Montale's official site so I can contact them too? And does anyone have any additional suggestions for fragrance houses that may be particularly generous who I haven't listed yet?

Make sure you pour it into a small atomiser and use it properly ... .. cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Default Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

L'artisan and Robert Piguet sent me their fragrances first class mail no problem. Penhaligons wanted me to pay for shipping however.

Just a tip. I usually send an email being interested in samples but don't include my address. I usually get a response email saying they'll send something out and they request my address for shipment. That way I know I'm going to be receiving something.

True, but i've heard of cases where they have not replied, but have still mailed out. Oh well...all roads lead to Rome, I guess. Diptyque is a no for now only because my email didn't deliver to them - I guess that's because their website is under development.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    By the way, what is Montale's official site so I can contact them too? And does anyone have any additional suggestions for fragrance houses that may be particularly generous who I haven't listed yet?
    You can contact Pierre Montale himself using this address: montaleparfums@hotmail.com

I think he will send out no more than five samples.

Take the online questionnaire on the Malle website. It asks you to disclose your address... and some weeks later you will have a sample and pricelist on your doorstep.

Ahhhr, I went on a sample prowl and received tons of samples (about 100?) of those, most of those had come from telephone conversations.

But, there seems to be a problem with French samples getting into England :S FM and Montale, the two houses that I want samples from the most, haven't arrived yet I don't see why not, Montale dispatched on 31/1/08 and FM about a week after that, it is now 26/2/08

akenep

Great thread, lots of good info.
    This might be kind of lame, but I am trying to find a sample of Lanvin L'Homme. I called the Lanvin store in New
    York and they told me that they do not own it anymore? or at least that they don't sell it in that store.

I am having one hell of a time trying to find a sample of Lanvin L'Homme, especially since I moved to Northern Florida, which really does not have any high end stores.

Any suggestion??? Thanks
    Last edited by akenep; 27th February 2008 at 12:43 AM.

You can buy a sample from scentedmonkey.com for 2.99 including shipping. Or check Setamp's sales thread. There's a good deal on a bottle.

Penhaligons (US) are samples sluts. Whatever your heart desires.

Careful, though. You may find yourselves wanting more, in which case you must pay the madam for the full 100ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Penhaligons (US) are samples sluts. Whatever your heart desires.

Careful, though. You may find yourselves wanting more, in which case you must pay the madam for the full 100ml.
    They are indeed. I emailed them last night and got a reply this morning that my samples are on the way!

Anyone have experience with JPG? I just went on their website and requested a vial sample of Le Male last night, hopefully they respond.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akenep View Post
    Great thread, lots of good info.
    This might be kind of lame, but I am trying to find a sample of Lanvin L'Homme. I called the Lanvin store in New
    York and they told me that they do not own it anymore? or at least that they don't sell it in that store.

I am having one hell of a time trying to find a sample of Lanvin L'Homme, especially since I moved to Northern Florida, which really does not have any high end stores.

Any suggestion??? Thanks
    If you go to perfumebay.com under "minitures", they have the sample you're looking for.

Does anyone else have issues trying to order samples from scentedmonkey.com?

You can always go to Sephora and ask for samples. They will even decant it for you.

Allright so here we go...Pretty much almost everyone emailed me back I believe except Amouage.
    Bond had the 6 samples for 6 dollars thing. No problem i'll probably get that. Creed was a no. Ormonde Jayne had a sample package that included ten 2 ml samples for 28 pounds - Not bad, but im not pressed to get that brand. Trumpers has a 4 pound charge for their sample packages - again, no problem with that. L'Artisan told me that I could get the samples from their site as long as I pay shipping, and that even though not all samples are shown, you can indicate them in the comments section and they will try to include them. And lastly, Truefitt & Hill just agreed to send a full sample pack. Awesome! So overall, not too bad. I was probably expecting worse, and honestly dont mind paying a shipping/handling charge for free samples sent to me, I think its pretty reasonable. But basically Truefitt & Hill is the winner here: no charge at all, and they went ahead and sent out the pack. Hopefully i'll like the brand.
    --------------------------------------
    Oh and I also took the quiz for Frederic Malle, but im not sure what exactly they meant in their email. They said that the next time im in Beverly Hills I should try the fragrances that Im interested in at Barneys...So maybe that's a no - or, then again, maybe i'll find something in my mailbox eventually, but probably not.
    Last edited by leor_77; 27th February 2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah Sephora is awesome...but they have no niche fragrances.

I got in touch with Ormonde Jayne, received a response today.

If you want all 10 samples, they'll charge you 28 quids (but they come in a nice satin bag, if that matters), but if you ask specifically for the sampe(s) of one or two of their fragrances, they'll send you those for free.

Ahh, as most of you know, i've been on the hunt for samples, and i've been like 'recording' the ones I get, especially if I like them, so I know that I can buy something from the house !

I've got a comprehensive list of how i've got samples from houses:

Prada RECEIVED (3) - Phone
    Tom Ford RECEIVED from SPACENK (2) - Phone
    SpaceNK RECEIVED (1) – Phone
    Hermes RECEIVED (6) – Phone.
    Ormonde Jayne RECEIVED (3) – Phone
    Marc Jacobs RECEIVED (1) - E-Mail
    Diptyque RECEIVED (6) – Phone
    Floris RECEIVED (6 + 4 Body Products) – E-mail
    Amouage RECEIVED (2) – E-mail
    Serge Lutens RECEIVED – Shitty Wax! (19) – E-mail
    L’Artisan Parfumer RECEIVED (11) – Phone
    Caron RECEIVED (2) – Phone
    Divine RECEIVED (5) – E-mail
    Penhaligons RECEIVED (4) – Phone.
    Truefitt and Hill RECEIVED (3) – E-Mail.
    Trumpers RECEIVED (6 + 4 Shaving Cream) – E-mail.
    Acqua di Parma RECEIVED (8 + 4 repeats) – Phone & Email
    Biehl Parfumkunstwerke RECEIVED (13) – E-mail
    Parfumarie-Generale RECEIVED (6) – Phone
    Giorgio Armani Prive RECEIVED (6) - Phone
    Thierry Mugler RECEIVED (2) – In person
    Robert Piguet RECEIVED (5) – E-Mail
    Chanel (Les Exclusifs) RECEIVED (4) – Phone

Phone has a much higher success rate As you can see. I'm currently waiting for samples from FM, Bond & Montale I have not paid for postage for any samples yet, and the houses below are the ones that don't do samples/charge:

Anat Fritz – CHARGE ‘Five euros P&P’
    Adolfo Dominugez – CHARGE £5-6 for postage of samples
    Etat Libre d’Orange – CHARGE – ’20 Euros for sample set!’

Profumum – DENIED ‘doesn't do samples’ – E-mail - BT
    Nasomatto – DENIED ‘don’t do samples in UK’ – E-mail – BT
    Clive Christian – DENIED ‘too expensive to give out samples’
    Le Labo – DENIED ‘Don’t do samples, try Liberty’s’ - BT
    Czech and Speake – DENIED ‘Samples don’t exist’ - BT

These are the three houses, that I haven't recieved anything from, and they haven't got back to me, and it's been over 3 weeks:
    CB I Hate Perfume
    Molinard
    Lubin

Hope thats helpful, despite it not having contact details, atleast you know where to call around now

I found Molinard very helpful - expressed curiosity in Habanita and Nirmala and they sent samples of both plus Musc et Fruits and Vanille Marine. Also recently got samples from Creed (3 from the Sydney Boutique - I was stoked!), Robert Piguet (5), Divine (6), Hermes (1), Ormonde Jayne (2) and Serge Lutens (19 wax). Sometime last year Miller Harris also sent samples and were lovely to deal with. All of these came from email - I have never phoned about samples.

FM told me to go to Barney's!

Thanks everyone for these great infos!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Clive Christian – DENIED ‘too expensive to give out samples’
    To me this seems like a load of BS. Their fragrances are among the most expensive to buy, but somehow I doubt they're significantly more expensive to produce than other high quality scents, so they should have a very nice profit, yet they're the ones citing cost as the reason...

To contribute a bit to the thread, I've recieved samples from

FM (via web questionnaire)
    Ormonde Jayne (e-mailed asking for samples of two scents)
    Serge Lutens (wax, e-mail)
    Caron (e-mail, got two minis and a sample vial)
    Divine (e-mail)

I've contacted but not received anything from:
    Diptyque (e-mailed them, got no reply, this was more than a year ago)
    Parfumerie Generale (filled in their web questionnaire a few weeks ago, have not received any reply)
    Montale (e-mailed him 18/2 asking if he sends out samples at all, included the ones I'm interested in as well as my address, haven't received any reply yet)

That's about it.
    Last edited by RichardK; 27th February 2008 at 08:54 AM.

A bit off topic, but I've received a few emails back and I find it funny they think I'm a Madam...and the SL wax samples I got had Madame addressed to me. Does my first name sound that girly.

Anyways, got one back recently from Parfumarie-Generale (via email) and they said they don't do samples at the moment, but will have a discovery set soon available in thier e-shop. So they told me to look out for that.

I've pretty much had luck with the houses already mentioned.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 27th February 2008 at 09:06 AM.

A dissapointing reply from Hermes

---------------

Dear Sir,

We have well received your e-mail and we thank you very much for your interest.

With regard to your inquiry about samples, we are very sorry but we can't satisfy you.
    In fact, the publicity materials, samples... are reserved for professional use.

That is why we advise you to visit our Hermes stores or our official retailers and ask for samples.
    You will find our store addresses on our website www.hermes.com.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

Best regards,

Caroline PARENT
    ----------------

Oh well.....Still no reply from JPG yet
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 28th February 2008 at 01:31 AM.

I received my samples from Editions Parfum (Frederic Malle) almost 2 months after I filled out the online survey! I am happy they finally came, because now I'm falling in love with Noir Epices. And wow... they send a nice size sample too! I know it's difficult for a company to gauge how much they win from sending samples, but Malle just won a full bottle purchase from me!

By the way, I saw on Ebay some people selling the free samples from Editions Parfum... makes me ill...
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I know what you mean. FM is first class all the way. I am very impressed that they wrote to me by hand and for me, it got to me within a week all the way from france to Canada. I will get a full bottle of musc Ravageur eventually.

I wish there was a way we could lock this part of the forum to members only. There are alot of website that focus primarily on good deals. As a result information from topics like this get taken advantage of and kill the service for people who have an interest in buying. I remember when FM used to give out even bigger samples, but things like slickdeals or redflagdeals kill it. These peope have no intention of buying and just want something for nothing. I seen some of the people on these sites and some have no morals against taking advantage of peoples trust and kindness. E.g Buying a tv from costco two years ago and returning it or after summer for a refund.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 28th February 2008 at 07:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Bump, just got off the phone with Hermes in Chicago and they're sending me samples of Terre d'Hermes, Un Jardin sur le Nil, and their entire Hermessence line.

L'Artisan is sending me samples of Mechant Loup, Dzing!, Tea For Two, Fou d'Absinthe, and L'Artisan Vetiver provided that I chip in $7 to ship it.

FM replied to my email within 12 hours and recommended French Lover (Bois D'Orage) and Musc Ravageur, so hopefully they're sending samples my way too.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Most of the Italian houses and Editions Parfum Frederic Malle among the worse for sending free samples. If you live 'near' an outlet for Editions Parfum Frederic Malle they won't send you any samples. Sad but true...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Most of the Italian houses and Editions Parfum Frederic Malle among the worse for sending free samples. If you live 'near' an outlet for Editions Parfum Frederic Malle they won't send you any samples. Sad but true...
    Malle sent me three large samples of my choice when I emailed them a while back, all neatly packaged and with a handwritten thank you note inside. It earned them a customer so it goes to show that a little hospitality can be the best advertising.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Malle sent me three large samples of my choice when I emailed them a while back, all neatly packaged and with a handwritten thank you note inside. It earned them a customer so it goes to show that a little hospitality can be the best advertising.
    Oh heck yeah. If a company treats me like "royalty" over the phone or in a store, I almost always return to them. A third return if I get treated the same way and I'm never condescending, prude or disrespectful when there's even the slightest problem. Things can get worked out without over-the-top complaining.

Exaple: About 6 weeks ago today I called Penhaligon's office in New Jersey late Friday afternoon around 5PM. 5PM is that time when most businesses are closing for the weekend, I know I was! The lady I talked to was more than happy to send me their whole line of men's and unisex fragrances. I expressed my greatest interest in Endymion and they sent me four whole vials of it! Not stingy in the least.

They earned a lifelong customer from one phone call.

After reading this thread I wrote to Floris, Truefitt & Hill and Robert Piguet, got sample packs from all of them, very good custom service indeed! Especially Floris, who sent me 13 x 2ml samples together with some cream samples.

Ok just a little update for you guys, I got my first samples! And there from Montale too. I dont even think Montale answered back my email but I saw a package from them from Paris in my mailbox today. They gave me a booklet, along with Black Aoud, Aoud Velvet, Vanille Absolu, and Aoud Flowers. Im really happy, to say the least with this company. And wow, what a luxurious vanilla smell with the Vanille Absolu. Im gonna wear Black Aoud today, but am not crazy and will go easy on the application!
    Last edited by leor_77; 10th March 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Blog Entries

5 days later, I've got a package from Hermes at my doorstep, and inside was a sample spray of TdH, and 4mL vials of their Hermessence collection (Ambre Narguile, Vetiver Tonka, Paprika Brasil, and Poivre Samarcande). Neat!
    Last edited by bluesoul; 10th March 2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you put inside such a letter? That you're interested in receiving samples from their fragrance line? Or are you very specific into details which samples you want to have?

Also, do you put your address directly into your first mail? Or will that scare them away?
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 10th March 2008 at 11:19 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Just tell them that your thinking about buying from their line, but aren't sure which one's you want, and ask them if they could send you samples. I include my address in case they don't send me a response...They still might end up sending you some samples anyway, as what happened with me with Montale.

Anyone know how I might set up an email to Penhaligon's, I have the email of their US division, is it too foreward to straight out ask for samples?

Should I address that I'm 18, new to fragrances and was directed to their company for their old fashioned male and unisex scents and see what that can get me? I recall someone here said they got samples of the whole male line and the unisex fragrances too. That would be so ideal!

akenep

I am looking for a sample of Paul Smith Story or Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, is there anyway to get these?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximiliani View Post
    Anyone know how I might set up an email to Penhaligon's, I have the email of their US division, is it too foreward to straight out ask for samples?

Should I address that I'm 18, new to fragrances and was directed to their company for their old fashioned male and unisex scents and see what that can get me? I recall someone here said they got samples of the whole male line and the unisex fragrances too. That would be so ideal!
    Penhaligon's makes you pay for the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Golem View Post
    Really? That must be something new, it hadn't been mentioned before. Is it not too terrible, as in still the most economical way to get samples from their line?

Blog Entries

Possibly. Or you may be told they don't send samples. Or you may be told they will only send 3 of their choosing. Or 4. Or 5.

It seems to completely depend on the customer service rep who gets your email. There's a long thread about it in this post over at Badger and Blade http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37824.

A polite, proper inquiry seems to provide the bests results. Not guaranteed, however.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Eh? I got my free (shipping and otherwise) sample of Castile a couple of weeks ago from the US division of Penhaligon's.
    Maybe it is as Hoos says - it depends on which rep receives your e-mail.

Bump,

I emailed Penhaligon's last night, got an e-mail back this morning saying that my samples would be shipped shortly. It does pay to be a master of politeness!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Penhaligons have only been positive to me, I asked for a sample of their Hammam Boquet, I ended up receiving a sample pack of like five of their fragrances

sent nice polite prof sounding emails to both amouage and caron and haven't recieved any responses

Amouage do send samples, I received samples of Ciel, Jubilation XXV and Dia when I just actually asked about stockists in Birmingham

Amouage do send samples, I received samples of Ciel, Jubilation XXV and Dia when I just actually asked about stockists in Birmingham
    vivek did they send you any kind of email back or did you just happen to find something in the mail a few days later?

They sent me an e-mail saying Harrods stocked them online, and that they'd be happy to send me a selection of scents to try if I sent them my house address, I did, and about two weeks later I had them at my doorstep with a nice handwritten note

They sent me an e-mail saying Harrods stocked them online, and that they'd be happy to send me a selection of scents to try if I sent them my house address, I did, and about two weeks later I had them at my doorstep with a nice handwritten note
    thats really awesome. I do wish they send me some samples as well, because I am a bottle buyer, I just have so many things I want to sample at once that once im done buying all my decants and samples im out of my original "bottlemoney". I dont even end up liking most of what I sample too so its even worse to have lost all my bottlemoney paying for it lol

I'm exactly the opposite, I now want to buy Ciel and Dia, and Jubilation is on my re-try list Unfortunately, i've got a list of about twenty fragrances that I want to buy, and more and more keep pushing Ciel and Dia further down (Most recent Idole de Lubin)

Hermes dissapoints me, some people have gotten 4 mL vials while they turn me down and just say to go to my local perfumer. JPG also dissapointed me, I asked for a sample of Le Male, not only did it take them weeks to reply but it was a very short response that just said "To experience the beauty of Le Male please go to your local perfume stockist." Wonderful
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 19th March 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Penhaligons have only been positive to me, I asked for a sample of their Hammam Boquet, I ended up receiving a sample pack of like five of their fragrances
    Yeah, I got samples too in about 1 week after I emailed them. Great service. Need to pick up a bottle of Castile & Opus 1870 soon!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by LeMâle View Post
    Actually its $6 with how horrible the exchange rate is, I think. I am pretty sure it was in pounds.
    re: Geo Trumper.. It's even a bit higher with the exchange, but the amount they send you in really impressive. I did that and have like 6 cologne samples, 3 shaving cream samples, some body wash, two skin food samples and a couple other things. A HUGE well put together bound book on their products too.. i'm pretty happy about it! Really polite customer service folks.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 19th March 2008 at 11:33 AM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My positive responses:

Penhaligons, Ormonde Jayne, Thierry Mugler, Truefitt & Hill, Cereus, Ermenegildo Zegna, Frederic Malle, Ineke, Diptyque, Hermes, Space NK, Colonel Conk, The Art of Shaving, Angela Flanders, Floris, Robert Piguet, Serge Lutens, Lubin.

These said they'd send stuff but it's yet to arrive:

Ulric de Varens.
    Last edited by HughLloyd; 12th June 2008 at 11:07 PM.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceSilver View Post
    Hermes dissapoints me, some people have gotten 4 mL vials while they turn me down and just say to go to my local perfumer. JPG also dissapointed me, I asked for a sample of Le Male, not only did it take them weeks to reply but it was a very short response that just said "To experience the beauty of Le Male please go to your local perfume stockist." Wonderful
    Hermes did the same to me. The kicker is that I live on the east coast and told them that the closest place I know of to me is around a 20hr drive away. What do they reply o me with: "visit this store...".

I've heard great things about terre d'hermes but it isnt one I'm going to buy blind anytime soon or driving for a day to smell it for that matter.

Call the boutiques with Hermes, the SAs are the nicest and yet still most intimidating people ever, but they always accommodate requests when possible

Quote Originally Posted by HughLloyd View Post
    Just sent out e-mails to Ormonde Jayne and Geo F. Trumper's, would have sent one to Cereus if I could find any resemblance of contact information whatsoever.

Decided to send an e-mail to Hermes as well, we'll see how that goes! :P
    Careful people! Every time this thread is bumped to the top (er, like it is now), enthusiastic Basenoters begin blanket-emailing the very same perfume houses!

Surely they tire of mass email bombing like this? I think its a sure fire way of getting a negative response...

Just an observation.