Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

And you just helped it Dimitri :P But, to be fair, most people on basenotes are authentic, and are most definitely likely to buy something that they love in some sort of way Hence, the companies, if they do send out samples, are just making more money

Yes I understand I am perpetuating the bumping of the thread Vivek, but I feel that plentiful mails to the same companies requesting samples over, lets say a 24-48 hour period will send up a red flag. In turn, its likely to result in a denial, as opposed to a positive response.
    All I am saying is people should remain tactful and respectful, exercise some patience, and use their good judgement when choosing when to approach these houses.

*steps off soapbox*

Thumbs up Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Yes I understand I am perpetuating the bumping of the thread Vivek
    I was joking, lol, simply because I replied Didn't mean to come off as abrasive :P

I got samples from L'Artisan yesterday. Had to pay $7 shipping, but it was well worth it. I ordered 5 but they threw in 6 - plus, there was a handwritten note inside saying thanks for your interest, etc... Very well done, L'Artisan!

Even better is Amouage. I just sent an e-mail to their rep here in the states (e-mail addy gotten off their main website contact details) just saying could you send me a sample of Dia and Reflection Men and less than a week later, I get a package in the mail with FOUR samples - they threw in Ciel and their latest Jubilation! Best part is they didn't charge me for anything - not even the shipping! And let me tell ya - the mini 2 ml sample bottles are probably the best I've ever seen... they're glass with an atomizer and even a cap... they say the name of the juice on the outside as well. After I finish the samples, I'm going to unscrew the bottles and use them for my own decant needs. I've decided that (granted I like one of them) my next purchase will be Amouage. Double props!
    Last edited by akshay03; 22nd March 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Can anyone explain this?

E-mail from Editions de Parfums

Dear xxxxxxxxx(dont want to post real name here),

Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.

After reading your questionnaire, I think you could love L’EAU D’HIVER.

Nevertheless, if you were to pay us a visit, I would also show you ANGELIQUES SOUS LA PLUIE.

Best regards

Tiphaine

So are they sending me a sample or not ? I filled out the questionnaire on the site and yeah they sent me that e-mail. I was really hoping to get Musc Ravageur =\ I even answered this on the first question:

Do you have any particular desire at the moment? : To try Musc Ravageur

I wonder how they could've not seen that or just ignored it. Well anyway I'm confused and I don't know if I'm receiving anything or not.
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 22nd March 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Mail them back saying you don't live near a FM sotckist (which i'm presuming you don't) blah di blah di blah, and that you'd love some samples.

Et voila. Jouir votre enchantillons gratuits. (Enjoy your free samples)

Alright...quick update here. Recently, I received generous samples from Amouage. I was also pretty happy to see something in the mail from Paris, and it was from Serge Lutens. Even though they pretty much just gave me the scents on cards and not vials, i'm still very happy. So to review, I got free samples from Montale, Amouage, Serge Lutens, and Truefett and Hill...So now I know which companies really do customer service right.

Default Is there any site on the internet where you can get free perfume-samples?

Is there any site on the internet where you can order free perfume-samples, or to cheap price?

Default Re: Is there any site on the internet where you can get free perfume-samples?

I e-mailed the Amouage rep here and just provided my shipping address and asked for samples. The guy was nice enough to send them to me, free of charge. Sometimes it helps to go to the various perfume sites and just ask them if they would send you some samples. Often times all they ask of you is to pay the shipping costs.

Default Re: Is there any site on the internet where you can get free perfume-samples?

Your best bet is calling stores and asking for them, politely of course.

Actually I found one site where you can buy perfume samples for $2.99 including shipping!
    http://scentmonkey.com

But they only ship to the US

Is there any site where you can buy cheap 2ml vial-samples?

Not really for free. You can contact the individual companies and ask for samples. Some will respond, some will not even respond, some will mail you the samples and some will ask for money for their own samples! I haven't had any luck using this method.
    If you're serious about sampling, learning, and collecting, I recommend The Perfumed Court. Their sample prices are cheaper than many other places; the vials are filled up completely; and the selcetion of hard-to-find and exclusive niche that you can't even think about in the US can't be beat.
    My other options are always Aedes de Venustas and Luckyscent and Lusciouscargo. They're all great but come after TPC for me; for items that TPC may not carry (very few).
    Also, a lot of places will provide free samples (specifically requested titles) with your purchase. Luscious and Lucy, etc. among them.
    If you purchase samples and don't like them or can't use them, you can always swap with other Basenoters or give them away. They also make fun little things to give to friends as little gifts/favors.
    Just as a side note, if you have a Sephora near you, they also make a small sample of a frag you ask for. This is a little limiting and not practical all the time.
    RM

Blog Entries

go into a shop and ask em...they always give me a handful of samples. i generally toss most of them though, as they're mostly not in my taste...

Quote Originally Posted by swe_tiger View Post
    Actually I found one site where you can buy perfume samples for $2.99 including shipping!
    http://scentmonkey.com

But they only ship to the US

Is there any site where you can buy cheap 2ml vial-samples?
    No, they ship internationally, you have to call them first though and ask about the shipping costs to your country.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceSilver View Post
    No, they ship internationally, you have to call them first though and ask about the shipping costs to your country.
    I asked them, and they said that they didnt shipped samples internationally. Have you order samples from there?

A couple of years ago I asked for and received samples from Geo F Trumper and Frédéric Malle.
    Trumper sent me a nice collection of samples including shaving creams and Malle sent me 3 generous samples with a hand signed note from France. Class.

Glad this thread got bumped again. A question popped up, do those who are in the US get samples from overseas without questions asked? i.e. customs/postage stuff

Yeah some companies pay for everything...Like, say, montale sent me four samples from Paris and paid for customs, postage, etc. As a quick aside, now whenever I ask any company for samples I always try to compensate them. I offer to pay full shipping/handling plus for the samples if they want, as well. I think it's much more fair that way. Usually the companies will insist that I dont, but I always offer. Also...I don't think Frederick Malle sends out samples anymore (at least to the US). I did their survey numerous times with them telling me to go to Barneys in Beverly Hills, (which is a little far from me) and most recently offered to pay for the full shipping + for the samples too, and they said that they didn't have any samples left and that they would send to me some scented cards. Oh well, better than nothing. Hello Perfumedcourt!

Unhappy Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

That also depends on importers or distributors. I have asked samples from Amouage but the person asked me to come down to Changi Airport Terminal 3 as they have their stand there. The person also forwarded my email to the distributor in Singapore and they sent me lotion and hand cream instead of fragrance which is very odd and disappointing.

trumpers asked me for shipping but i live far so that was understandable. i've actually bought from everyone that sent me free samples. i think there's something about trying it in your home for a few days than just sniffing them from a counter.

stuff that i bought that sent free samples.

t&h spanish leather
    fm musk ravageur
    possibly mh cuir d'oranger

You could try lesscenteurs.com - it's the famous Les Scenteurs shop in London. They have a sample service but you have to pay for them. However, if you're desperate to smell something it can be cheaper than a bad blind buy.

Second suggestion is to go to the Frederic Malle website and take their online test to find out which perfumes in their range would suit you best. You'll receive an email from them with the answer. If you ask them very nicely if it would be possible to find samples of these fragrances and offer them your land address, you may be lucky and receive a package.

The 'Contact us' page of Serge Lutens' website (Palais Royale de Shiseido) is the place to ask sweetly for a set of wax samples of their range.

And perhaps you could swap samples here on the BN marketplace?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Question what sites are giving away free samples??

i know vera wang is still sending out samples of princess, but are there other sites that are sending them out as well?? i'm on a low buy/no buy right now and going to sephora to smell things will get me in trouble and entice me to buy stuff...but i still want new stuff to try! any help would be appreciated - including sites with beauty products as well. thanks a lot in advance!
    http://www.myspace.com/mermaidsushi
    http://www.myspace.com/longdistancelovers

my all-time faves include anna sui, vera wang princess, nanette lepore, miracle, amor amor, juicy couture, ralph rocks & betsey johnson

decants i'm looking for:
    a sample vial/decant of viva la juicy by juicy couture
    anna sui scents (other than the original)

Default Re: what sites are giving away free samples??

Try contacting the folks at Divine. They sent me a set of free samples of their mens and womens lines. Beautiful scents.

Teddius

Grrr, I just contacted them to get a sample of their two men's scents, and they directed me back to their site where a sample set is 10 Euro, plus a ridiculous amount to ship to America (14 Euro I think). Darn it!!! I've had no luck with the Frederic Malle survey thing either. They always tell me to go to Barneys.

Yes I've been hearing on MUA that many of them do not get the Frederic Malle samples anymore. Even those who don't live near a stockist.

Try contacting a few niche companies. I've had luck with L'Artisan, Creed (the boutique in my country), Serge Lutens (wax sample set), Ormonde Jayne, Robert Piguet, Molinard and Il Profumo, all from emailing them expressing interest in a couple of their fragrances. So perhaps try those houses. Good luck!
    Last edited by jillsy; 2nd August 2008 at 01:57 AM.

Not free, but you can get I guess around 15 samples (one of every sort) from Les Parfums de Rosine at the official website, for 15 euros, *worldwide shipping included*!

Sample Purchase Page

I ordered mine a few days ago. I think they are all female scents too.

Thanks for the link, beltz, to the Rosine line. I just ordered the set. 15 samples for 18 euros (not 15 anymore!) with free ship is a good deal!.
    I'd like to add that Hampton Court has a large selection of nice samples for $1 each, with shipping about $7 in the US but I think they ship internationally too. They have almost 150 samples for sale, many niche, and you can get up to 2 of each. Sure better than $3-$5 per sample for niche on other sites! The website is hamptonct.com.

That site looks great!

They do ship internationally too.

Les Parfums de Rosine shipped fast. I received my samples yesterday, while I was sleeping.

I woke up, put 3 of them on, went back to bed. This morning my pillows, my room... everything smelled of roses. That was sexcellent.

Blog Entries

Not free, but I'd like to put in a plug for Aedes-- seven niche samples for $15 shipped. Their website mentions they use .1 oz glass vials, and I can attest that they fill them full. Many Serge Lutens samples, however, are carded manufacturer's .04 oz samples. Still plenty of juice to get to know the fragrance.

http://www.aedes.com/samples.php
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Default Master List re: free samples

Redacted
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Default Re: Master List re: free samples

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    3-Penhaligon's
    Lucky dude. I asked them for some samples, here is their answer:
    "Unfortunately we are unable to sent the samples you requested."

I've had great experiences with:

Truefitt & Hill
    Penhaligon's
    Hermes
    Ormonde Jayne
    Geo F. Trumer

I got many free samples from DIPTYQUE.

just sent an email to Diptyque.

I've had the exceptional sample service with TM too. In addition, Geir replied saying they'd sent me a sample of Geir Ness, but I never got it.

Don't forget L'Artisan's excellent five-samples-for-$7-shipping deal (only works in the U.S., I'm afraid).

Some people have apparently received samples from Frédéric Malle's recommendation program. All I got was an e-mail saying that, if I went to the boutique, they'd suggest I smell Bois d'Orage (thanks...I already knew that I wanted to try Bois d'Orage).

My experience with some other companies mentioned:

Geo. F Trumper has a terrifically generous sample pack (which doesn't include everything so be sure to specify anything you're particularly interested in and they'll add it).

Penhaligon's is, as far as I can tell, completely random. I sent them an e-mail requesting a sample of Hammam Bouquet. They never replied. Two months later a very generous sample arrived. Go figure.

I sent an e-mail to Diptyque about four months ago and received neither a reply nor samples.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 19th August 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added notes on Diptyque and Malle.

6-Ormonde Jayne
    That's surprising! Their website lists a "sample programme" that consists of 10 EDPs for £28, which is far from free.

What's the secret to getting a free sample from them? I've always wanted to try Ormonde Man!

Ormonde Jayne gave me 2 standard size glass vials each with a sprayer. The samples came wrapped in a black envelope sealed with a sticker. To get the samples i use a 5 step system: 1) told them i was interested in their product, 2) named the products i was interested in, 3) told them i could not find samples, 4) that i want to try before i purchase, and 5) 2nd dose of flattery about their product.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    That's surprising! Their website lists a "sample programme" that consists of 10 EDPs for £28, which is far from free.

What's the secret to getting a free sample from them? I've always wanted to try Ormonde Man!
    Tell me about it! I paid nearly 40 bucks and some change for the Sample Programme. It's basically the entire line... a million women's scents (Ta'if and Tolu were kinda nice actually) two masculines (which was all I wanted to sample anyway) and the drop dead gorgeous Orris Noir unisex. Iskander and Ormonde Man didn't move me at all.

Ormonde Jayne gave me 2 standard size glass vials each with a sprayer. The samples came wrapped in a black envelope sealed with a sticker. To get the samples i use a 5 step system: 1) told them i was interested in their product, 2) named the products i was interested in, 3) told them i could not find samples, 4) that i want to try before i purchase, and 5) 2nd dose of flattery about their product.
    Right, I told them I was no interested in the women's perfumes in the set, but would gladly pay for men's only. got the same beautifully packed set with the two men's plus (unisex) Orris noir. And after disliking them at the outset i really came around to liking them, too. First Isfarkand, then Ormond Man.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Got another samples from Ermenegildo Zegna (see above).

This Ormande Jayne Man EDP lasts forever, the difference between EDT and EDP is drastic. It is much better, now i want to get my hands on more EDPs!!!! The Oris Noir was EDP too but it smelled like "old lady perfume."
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 20th August 2008 at 10:07 PM.

I got some free samples in the past, so i'm not one to complain, however I would strongly suggest to offer to pay for their shipping cost. We don't want them to stop sending samples because they give away free samples and pay for the shipping, and then no one ends up buying anything.

My experience with the following:

1-Thierry Mulger - No Reply
    2-Truefitt & Hill - Brilliant - they sent 0.8ml samples of their range
    3-Penhaligon's - no answer
    4-Nautica - directed me to the Coty website
    5-Hermes - a very rude standard looking e-mail which directed me to the nearest Hermes store... in Rome (their fragrances are not THAT good)
    6-Ormonde Jayne - haven't tried
    7-Amouage - 3 samples - very nice
    8-Miller Harris - I asked for 3 samples, and I received a wonderful hand written letter + the samples I requested
    11-Angela Flanders -there's a charge per sample + postage
    12-Ermenegildo Zegna - no answer
    13-Diptyque - no answer
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Sure Leor 77, ill pay the shipping cost, just deposit the $ in my paypal account and i will do just that! The fact is sending samples is free advertising for them. And, simply put, im not going to pay for shipping when they offer it for free, that is just plain ridiculous!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 21st August 2008 at 11:56 PM.

MLT. what kind of letter did you send?

Hi guys, i am interested in getting some samples but im not sure what to include in the email. Do include your address or wait for a reply before giving them your address? Also how exactly do you request for samples? (a template would be nice)

I sent an email to L'artisan in UK(boutiquecale) and they told me to head to their nearest store or buy them online.

Clueless, here is the formula i used: Always include your address on the 1st try, express interest, ask about 3-4 of their scents, say you cant find them by you, say you wanna try before you buy, and then ask. So far, i got 11 samples using the aforementioned! I have a huge bag now of 40+ samples, all of which were free!!!!!!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Be careful guys... you're going to end up with annoyed companies once you get a flurry of requests for FREE samples. I've gotten free samples but I never advertise it to my friends because they quickly revoke those policies once a pile of people ask for freebies. Posting these freebie threads sometimes do much more damage than good. If you don't actually want to sample as a means to decide on a later purchase, you may want to skip over the freebie deals. Just be cognizant of those effects to not ruin those policies with a ton of people just wanting freebies.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Sure Leor 77, ill pay the shipping cost, just deposit the $ in my paypal account and i will do just that! The fact is sending samples is free advertising for them. And, simply put, im not going to pay for shipping when they offer it for free, that is just plain ridiculous!
    Why not? It might be free advertising for them, but 99% of the people who would jump on something free might not have any inclination to make a purchase even before they ask for something free.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Why not? It might be free advertising for them, but 99% of the people who would jump on something free might not have any inclination to make a purchase even before they ask for something free.
    I second, third, and fourth that.

I'll leave it at that for now.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I forgot to tell you that I got free samples from Diptyque by sending an email, written in french, to their official customer service. You can find it at their website.

I am totally favorable to full disclosure of free sample deals! It should be in the interest of the companies to make their products known.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 22nd August 2008 at 03:33 AM.

Unless there's a specific company policy one way or another, I'd bet getting samples depends on who receives your request and how it's written. I just tried Escentric Molecules and will report back. I did not, as suggested, include my address on the first email because I took the 'how to I obtain samples' tact hoping they'll say 'we'll send them to you' instead of outright asking for a freebie by including my address. We'll see how it goes...

MLT. what kind of letter did you send?
    A very polite e-mail, telling them that I am a fragrance enthusiast and that I'm interested in their range (I mention a couple of the scents I'm interested in) and I tell them that I can't find any of them locally.

Personally, I've never bought a full bottle before sampling first and giving the fragrance a full wear. When I didn't do this, I was bitterly disappointed.

Samples are a promotional tool - and I find it rather strange that some firms ask you to pay for "the pleasure" or of sampling their fragrances. There are hundreds of fragrance companies, and many people will just move on to the next company. The attitude of Hermes has totally put me off their fragrances.

With regards to paying for the shipping, I don't object if the company in question is a small perfumery. Nor do I object to buying samples from other basenoters. However when it comes to perfume companies, I can't help but think that these churn out profit after profit - and shipping costs would cost them next to nothing.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    A very polite e-mail, telling them that I am a fragrance enthusiast and that I'm interested in their range (I mention a couple of the scents I'm interested in) and I tell them that I can't find any of them locally.

Personally, I've never bought a full bottle before sampling first and giving the fragrance a full wear. When I didn't do this, I was bitterly disappointed.

Samples are a promotional tool - and I find it rather strange that some firms ask you to pay for "the pleasure" or of sampling their fragrances. There are hundreds of fragrance companies, and many people will just move on to the next company. The attitude of Hermes has totally put me off their fragrances.

With regards to paying for the shipping, I don't object if the company in question is a small perfumery. Nor do I object to buying samples from other basenoters. However when it comes to perfume companies, I can't help but think that these churn out profit after profit - and shipping costs would cost them next to nothing.
    While I totally agree, perhaps charging for samples, or for S&H, has something to do with all the people reselling 'free' samples on eBay. It's pretty obvious that greedy SAs are swiping samples from stores and reselling them, and that 'free' samples from houses like Bond 9, L'Artisan, Hermes, and Malle are now going for big bucks on eBay. Perhaps charging a little might discourage this somewhat. Or perhaps it just made the houses realize they could charge for samples.

First, i think everyone has made some excellent points in this thread and, upon further review, I have come to the conclusion that "publishing" information regarding free samples may cause the process to spike, thus leading the fragrances co.'s to stop providing samples for free. I think the sample process as a whole can be useful and for someone like me, who will spends alot of money purchasing fragrances because i need to know what is out there to make my purchases. The only way i know what is out there is by asking for samples. Often i do not have time to seek the fragrances out as quickly as i would like, so having samples sent to me is a Godsend that saves me mass amounts of time. Now with that said, will i purchase from every company that provided me with samples? No. But i can tell you this much, based upon my sampling i have, in fact, ordered a bottle of Amouage's XXV and Thierry Mugler's A*MEN aftershave splash. I feel that most Basenoters, much like myself, actually use the sample process to, in fact, sample. I do not think that Basenoters are the type who are cowering over the samples thinking "Woo-hoo i got something for free, i scammed these companies." Listen, our group, as a whole spends alot of money with these companies, ALOT! They should be happy to have our business by sending us samples. Keep in mind that this list was released for other Basenoters and not in any other forum, and, we, in fact, have a propensity to buy! Often, if the scent is good then this will be the hook that gets us to purchase more. I hope this clarifies my position.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd August 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Default Any places give away free samples?

I'm kind of cheap. I'd be willing to pay shipping I guess.

Default Re: Any places give away free samples?

L'Artisan allows you to order 5 free samples (you pay shipping) via their website, and Bond No.9 has a similar deal (6 samples, you pay shipping). Plenty of places offer free samples with purchase. If you want free samples without purchase, you have to go to Norstroms or Sephora.

Default Re: Any places give away free samples?

If you have something specific in mind, you might contact the perfumer/designer/company directly and ask. This worked for me with Agatha Brown. I sent an inquiry about samples via the contact page on her website, and she sent me free samples of her two men's fragrances without a shipping charge. Can't hurt to ask.

On a related note, I was sniffing around my local Macy's one day recently and asked the SA if she had any samples. She said they didn't have much because it was right after the holidays, but she did give me four 1.5-ml spray samples of Beckham Signature; I guess they were trying to get rid of them. She did say to come back because they would have others later. Again, can't hurt to ask.

Now what am I going to do with all this Beckham?