Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

Update 2.

L'Artisan Paris is sending me samples of Havana Vanille and others I requested. Looking good so far..

Hermes was very good to me. Today, I received four 2ml EDTs: Voyage d'Hermes, Kelly Caleche, Un Jardin En Mediterranee, 24 Faubourg, and one EDP:Elixir Des Merveilles.

They are very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellacious View Post
    Hermes was very good to me. Today, I received four 2ml EDTs: Voyage d'Hermes, Kelly Caleche, Un Jardin En Mediterranee, 24 Faubourg, and one EDP:Elixir Des Merveilles.

They are very kind.
    I have to disagree with you.

Generally speaking americans do get more often free samples. Hermes replied to me saying they don't even deliver to Finland and any sample is only for professional use and suggested that I should buy it from Helsinki-Vantaa airport. Yeah, that would only mean a plane ticket first. I just hate it when they tell us those "stories" about how they don't have samples etc but then they give them for free to some.

Oh, I'm sorry.

If it makes you any happier, just about everybody else I contacted basically told me to travel to a major city if I wanted to sample their frags. Nope, don't believe that I will.

Good start for the day:

Sample vials directly from L'Artisan Paris.

2ml of Havana Vanille EdP
    1ml of L'Eau D'Ambre EdT
    1ml of Fou D'Absinthe EdP
    1ml of Timbuktu EdT
    1ml of Patchouli Patch EdT
    1ml of Piment Brûlant EdT

Diptyque just sent me a lovely sample package absolutely free -- four spray samples, plus samples of some of their skincare line (which turns out to be really nice, I must say). I feel like buying something just to thank them!

I'll add to that, Diptyque sent me a package with a handwritten note and 5 2ml sprays of some of their stuff. Besides Divine, that's about the most personal I've seen from a company.

Quote Originally Posted by m.francisco View Post
    I'll add to that, Diptyque sent me a package with a handwritten note and 5 2ml sprays of some of their stuff. Besides Divine, that's about the most personal I've seen from a company.
    I ordered the $25.00 USD sampler from Ineke. (There is also a $25.00 voucher that you can use toward a full bottle purchase on her site.)

I received a nicely presented boxed set of the latest collection (I think there were six small sprayer vials) plus a personal note.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Today I received from Hermes some samples -- after a few emails

Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum
    Voyage d'Hermes
    Un Jardin apres la Mousson
    Un Jardin en Mediterranee

Pretty excited to try the TdH Pure Parfum and the Voyage d'Hermes.

Does anyone have contact info from the more "friendly" companies? Emai or mailing addresses will suffice.. I'm new to this and just getting my fingertips wet, so to speak...
    Last edited by tall_dave; 1st July 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tall_dave View Post
    Does anyone have contact info from the more "friendly" companies? Emai or mailing addresses will suffice.. I'm new to this and just getting my fingertips wet, so to speak...
    Google them and click on their "contact us" page. Easy.

Do any of you French-speaking BNers think that asking in French to these perfumeries based in France work better than asking in English?

I requested a Voyage d'Hermes sample in April. Got an email back saying that Hermes would be happy to send me a sample of Voyage d'Hermes. It is now July and I have received nothing. Thats lousy.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I did the calls/emails around. Hermes was a pleasure, Tom Ford was ok, Bond was surprisingly against it (for free anyway).
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Just want to say thanks for the info, guys!

I've recently sent a few emails out to companies, basically saying I want to try before I buy and that I don't live near a stockist (which is true). Here is how it stands after 3 days (excluding the weekend):

Tom Ford - No Reply
    Frederic Malle - Directed me to "free" samples on their website, P&P = 17EUROS per 3 samples, quite disappointed.
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - No reply
    Amouage - No reply
    Trumpers - Offer a sample pack to buy via website and direct me towards two stockists in a city nearby. Good customer service.
    Diptyque - No reply to email. Two days later received: 8 2ml spray samples, two body lotion samples and a body wash sample, all delivered with a hand written note to thank me for my interest. I will be buying from this company in the future!!
    Serge Lutens - Received email saying they would forward my email to "Boutique at the Salons du Palais Royal". Received 4 books of 4 solid perfume samples and a little book describing the brand and the fragrances. Very impressed with this! Reaffirms my love of Serge Lutens!!

I will update this list should I receive further correspondence.

UPDATE

Penhaligon's - two free samples, Blenheim Bouquet and Opus
    Last edited by boosh; 19th August 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Lucky ole you , serge lutens told me to find a stockist as they dont send out samples anymore allegedly ........

Basenotes Institution

Boosh - that is amazing success !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: getting free company samples

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Both Truefitt and Hill and Trumper send out some nice sample packages for free. Just contact them through there main website. I tried Amouage but they just recommend a perfume shop close by that carried the line, no luck there. I also contacted L'artisan and MPG and they said the same thing. There are a lot of good Ebay seller that sell samples at a great price. You could check them out. lisalaw sent some amazing samples for me.

Trasker

You can get some nice F.Malle samples by doing there online quiz. Go to there offical site and go to the heading "Choose Your Pefume".
    I got my Musc Ravageur sample through the editionsdeparfums website. Though I didn't try any online quiz...hmm...maybe I could get some other Malle samples...hehe...I really am digging the Musc Ravageur. I wore it to work today and just couldn't help loving everytime I picked up some of my own sillage.

I'm not sure there's a shop anywhere nearby that Amouage could refer me too...haha...living in Kansas...but I'll look into it, and if not, e-mailing them shall commence.

Anat Fritz - Supposedly is sending me something.
    Monyette Paris - They were out of samples, but said they would have Lucky Scent send me some. Friendly.
    Penhaligon's - Said they would send me 2.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Nope. Gotta purchase the 2ml travel sizes.
    Miller Harris - Yes. They even asked me which frags I was interested in sampling. The U.S. representative was very friendly and speedy to reply.
    Costamor - Nope. Re-directed to Lucky Scent.
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Nope, but they have a set of 10 samples for $11.00 that includes shipping in the continental U.S.
    Montale - Definitely no. "We have no samples."
    Lubin - Nope. Apparently they do not do samples or sell directly to customers.
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian - No, but supposedly they plan on doing samples soon.
    Boadicea the Victorious - This seems like a MAYBE. My inquiry has been directed to organization that represents them in the U.S.
    Alexa Lixfeld - Nope. Another re-direction to Lucky Scent.
    Hermes - Yes. Said they would send me something soon.
    Montgomery Taylor Fragrances (the house that released Paratus, a sleeper if you ask me) - Very friendly. Said they would send some samples as soon as they return from vacation. I think this is promising. I have heard nothing but good things about Monty from my local niche dealer.
    Thierry Mugler - Yes, they are sending me "Womanity"
    Trumper's - Yes, they were very friendly and said they would dispatch a package. Trumper's is in 1st place for having the friendliest customer service reps.
    Amouage - Nope. Gotta buy the sampler set.

I will post an update soon about the outcome of these sample requests.

Just to let you know that Monty is a great bloke and always answers you. He helped me locate a stockist a few weeks ago of Paratus that would post to the UK. It is definitely a sleeper, great fragrance that deserves more praise. The women's Ambra di Venezia is also very nice.

I've said this before and I'll say it again that it seems like samples are part of the cost of doing business for a consumable item.

If I had a bakery, I'd pass out little samples of bread and pastries to induce people to buy and then offer coupons, too boot. If I had a perfume business, I would do the same.

Another option is to offer small samples for a cost and then offer a coupon toward purchase equal to the cost of the samples. Ineke does this and it's a great way to generate interest and sampling.

Boosh and Calero, thank you for your lists.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I was chatting to the Chanel sa at my local House of Fraser today. Mention about the ones I would love to try No18 and 28 La Pausa but nowhere in Belfast. She told me to just phone the UK boutiques and ask, if they have them in stock they will send. So that is what I did, and yes no problem getting one of each. Now I had to phone two seperate boutiques as the Bond Street did not have the 28 La Pausa.
    DONNA

Answer from Penhaligon:
    "Unfortunately we are unable to send samples abroad, due to certain restrictions regarding dangerous goods in the post."

Blog Entries

Penahligon's USA has sent me samples at no cost (JBL, not sure where you are located.)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Penahligon's USA has sent me samples at no cost (JBL, not sure where you are located.)
    I am from Belgium.
    I don't believe their "dangerous goods" excuse, as TPC sends their samples internationally.

Blog Entries

The US postal policy on mailing perfumes, as written, seems to prohibit perfumes going airmail domestically or internationally (because they are flammable.)

In practice, however, when I've gone to the P.O. to mail perfumes, the way I am allowed to ship on any given day seems to depend on which employee is at the counter. One was only concerned that the bottle not be an aerosol, i.e. pressurized spray (natural spray was okay); another wouldn't let any liquid alcohol-based scent go by air domestically and I had to mail by surface.

So, it seems Penhaligon's is following the letter of the law. Others (TPC for example) may be using their own judgment about what is safe or unsafe.

It is true enough that air travelers are allowed to pack/ carry perfumes in luggage so it does seem excessively restrictive not to allow a small package to go by mail. But I don't think one can really fault companies for wanting to stay on the right side of the law.

You need to try Penhaligons UK not US as you are in Europe. Caron US boutique long ago told me they could not send outside the US but to try the Paris Boutique. Yes involved a phone call, but I did get extract samples.
    DONNA

In the past week I've received samples from:

-Hermes (nice, big Hermessence series samples + voyage d'hermes and the Orange Verte)
    -Geo F Trumper (six of the EDCs)
    -Divine Parfums (PRIORITY shipping from France with 2 samples and a very nice handwritten note + booklet about the fragrances)
    -Miller Harris (no actual samples, but they did send about 6 blotters of their various frags)

@30 Roses: Thank you for your answers.

@donna255: I did mail Penhaligon UK.

---

Other experiences:

Dyptique and Mugler refuse to send me an answer back.

I'm also trying to get Frederic Malle samples.
    I mailed them, asking if I could pay with Paypal, since I don't have a credit card and that's the only thing they allow.
    No answer!

Some weeks after that I filled in the "Choose your own perfume" page, clearly stating that I would love to buy samples from them, but I don't have a credit card, and I don't want to have a credit card.
    The next day, I receive this mail:

Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.
    After reading you, I believe you could love FRENCH LOVER.
    Nevertheless, if you were to pay us a visit at one of our boutiques, I would
    also show you VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE and MUSC RAVAGEUR.
    Do not hesitate to order samples via Buy online section if you can not visit
    one of our stores.

Best regards,

Mathias
    That guy clearly has a reading problem. A big zero for service.
    And why would I travel to France to test their perfumes???

@ JBL

I am receiving zero response from Diptyque as well. Seems like they would be ready to push their 2 new frags, but oh well, I will just keep my fingers crossed something comes in the mailbox.

Just woke up this morning to an email from DIVINE. They are sending some samples in the mail per my request I sent 2 days ago. WOOT!! Nice way to start the day.

Penhaligon's came through today with some samples. All of which were their choosing:

-Elixir (lol....this name)
    -Malabah
    -Quercus

Just went to the Diptyque "contact us" page and left a message expressing interest.Within about 3 minutes,I had a lovely e-mail in the inbox from a gentleman inquiring about my tastes in fragrances.He says they will be happy to send samples!

Blog Entries

Diptyque is very generous. If it weren't for the sample I got from them of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau I probably would not have bought a bottle shortly afterward.

Azzaro denied me... lol. Couldn't care less for them, just wanted to see if they wanted to send me something from their lineup

Montgomery Taylor Fragrances said they do not make samples, & Trumper's referred me to their site to purchase samples. Sucks for BOTH houses as I will NOT PURCHASE anything unless I sample 1st. Don't these companies know that. I hope they're reading this. BLAH.......

Score from Kenzo today. 3 samples: Kenzo Power, Kenzo Homme, and L'Eau Par Kenzo. I just emailed them earlier this week and now I have the samples.

L'Eau Par Kenzo is an aquaticist's dream come true. Not my bag, but well done indeed. Kenzo Homme is nice, 90s/00s woody frag that is very wearable and inoffensive, probably wouldn't buy a FB though. Haven't tried the Kenzo Power yet. I'm sure it's more of the same but stronger.

Ormonde Jayne came through today with 2 samples: Ormonde Man and Ormonde Woman. Thierry Mugler finally came through with two frags for the lady: Alien Sunessence and Womanity. Can't wait to bust out the Womanity and see what it's all about...

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Diptyque is very generous. If it weren't for the sample I got from them of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau I probably would not have bought a bottle shortly afterward.
    Wow,you weren't kidding,30 Roses!I got 5 2mL samples,and a hand written note like some other posters I noticed.This was after Steve at the boutique on Bleecker St. in New York contacted me to consult about my preferences.He clearly put some thought into it,as everything is at least a "like very much".The winner for me is Vetyverio(for now,anyway!)and I will be ordering a full bottle very soon.30 Roses,if you don't mind vetiver you may enjoy this one,too-the rose is fresh cut with morning dew and leaves&stems still attached to my nose.It's gorgeous.They also sent the new Eau Duelle along with Philosykos,Eau Lente and L'Eau de L'Eau.

Well, Diptyque didn't even reply to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mentos View Post
    Mentos, are you in the USA? If overseas, perhaps they do not ship overseas (due to postal regulations.)

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ....30 Roses,if you don't mind vetiver you may enjoy this one,too....
    I don't mind vetiver at all, but my husband not only dislikes it but can detect it readily-- so I probably wouldn't inflict it on his nose.
    They sent me L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, Do Son, Tam Dao, L'Eau and Philosykos.

[/I].
    I don't mind vetiver at all, but my husband not only dislikes it but can detect it readily-- so I probably wouldn't inflict it on his nose.
    [/I].
    Oh,stay far from this one,then,Vetyverio has two different varieties in its base!He couldn't miss it!

Diptyque: Sent me an e-mail asking about my address after sending them a nice e-mail showing my interest. Will report on what I receive.
    Tom ford: No samples offered
    Amouage: No reply
    Serge Lutens: No reply
    Frederic Malle: Redirected me to their online store which offers very over-priced samples. Over $30 for a 3x2ml shipped? you gotta be kidding me. I'm surprised they were sending out free 5ml's a few years ago. That's over $200 to sample their whole line. I know their fragrances are expensive, but even Amouage doesn't ask for that much.

Does Amouage ever send out samples through email requests?

Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    Does Amouage ever send out samples through email requests?
    Not that I know of. It seems they just ignore any request, or any kind of communication at all for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by mentos View Post
    How long ago did you email? They didn't reply to me either, received samples in the post a few days later.

TOP TIP: Include your address in your initial email

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post

TOP TIP: Include your address in your initial email
    I'll second that.I always do this and have rarely been ignored.They do sometimes reply back offering to sell me samples,though.

Default Re: getting free company samples

I've just written off to Amouage enquiring about free samples and I will let you all know if/when they are on their way and exactly what I get through the mail..
    Are You obsessed with Fashion?
    www.fashionobsessed.com

Blog Entries

A few years ago I requested samples from Amouage via their contact page and got a reply that they would let the Amouage in the USA know. But I never heard from them again, nor did I ever get samples, and I couldn't find an email address for the USA division.

Last week I emailed Odin NY to request samples of 02 and 04 but have not heard back from them.

Very surprised this morning...

On Sunday night I emailed the UK Creed Boutique (http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk) saying that I am going to be buying a couple of 75ml or a few 30ml bottles very soon. I asked if there was any way I could try Aventus before I chose which fragrances to buy. I also said that I would only be buying from them because I wanted the freshest juice around!

Tuesday morning - Receive Creed Aventus sample via first class mail

Very happy, very surprised!

I did get an email response from Amouage when my Reflection bottle showed up with a screwed up cap (the spacing of the letters in Reflection, written on the cap, were messed up, as if the machine had an error).

They promptly sent me out a new cap and 4 or 5 samples, too.

However, further inquiries went unanswered. I was really surprised they didn't respond when I asked about a Reflection man shower gel, as it appeared on the market only a week or two later.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Just requested samples of Ellie and Ellie Nuit last night. Told them I was a fan of M. Roudnitska and would love to sample his work at Ellie D Perfumes. But that LuckyScent was out of samples right now. Jessica Dunne, herself, sent me a speedy reply the same night saying that she would love to send me samples of both! Yay! Can't wait to get them.

I rec'vd 4 samples and a very nice handwritten note (fancy calligraphy writing, might I add) from Diptyque, and also a sample of LP no. 9 from Penhaligon's. Added, I also rec'vd 4 samples from DIVINE. From the Diptyque line, I really love Hesperides, followed by Neroli.

diptyque
    John aka Easykiller

Diptyque:
    Dear Mr. Troyer,

Thank you for you're inquiry could you kindly share your shipping and telephone details with us so that we may better serve you.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
    d i p t y q u e
    www.diptyqueparis.com

Penhaligons:
    Hello Michael,

Your sample request was received and we will send out your shortly.

Regards

Thank you,
    Penhaligon's Customer Service
    888-450-7578

Montale:
    Hello,

Thanks for your interest montale s perfumes.

I m sorry, we don t have samples...We had some, time ago..but now it s finish...the only thing we do it s to offer 20ml with the bottle of 100ml...

I m disposal for others questions.

Best regards

Celine, MONTALE Parfums 26 Place Vendôme 75001 Paris France ph: +33 (0)1 42 96 97 44 fax: +33 (0)1 42 96 97 43 www.montaleparfums.com

Divine:
    Cher Monsieur,

I would like to thank you for your email and your interest in our creations.

In order to discover all our creations, I can advise you to purchase our samples collection directly on our website at the following page: http://www.divine.fr/gb/commandegb.asp

Nevertheless, if you just want to try one or two fragrances among our creations, I can send them to you by post for free.

I stay at your disposal,

Très cordialement,

Aurélie,

DIVINE Parfums
    32 rue de la Paix
    35800 Dinard
    France

Tél.: +33 2 99 46 56 41
    Fax: +33 2 99 88 06 35

Hermes:
    Bonjour,

Thank you for visiting Hermes.com.

We will be delighted to send you samples of some of our fragrances. Please let us know which fragrances you would like to try and send us your mailing address.

Again, thank you for your interest in Hermès. We look forward to your next visit with us.

If you need additional information, please answer this message and keep the request reference [132814-1289790387] in the title of your e-mail.

Best regards,
    Ms. Pasternak

The Customer Service Department

800-441-4488 Option 1
    service.us@hermes.com

Monday to Friday
    9 a.m to 6 p.m.

Azzaro:
    Hello:

Thank you for contacting Azzaro Consumer Relations.

We appreciate your interest in Azzaro fragrance. Unfortunately, we do
    not have any samples available to send to you at this time.

We invite you to visit your local retail department store to
    experience the Azzaro fragrances.

Thank you,
    Azzaro Consumer Relations

PdN:
    Dear Michael,

We are pleased with your interest for our brand.

We do not have a sampling program as we have a lot of different scents.

However, we invite you to visit either one of our 5 stores in Paris or our store in London. We will be particularly pleased to show you our creations.

You can also have a look at our website.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information.

Best regards
    The Sales Department Team
    PARFUMS DE NICOLAÏ
    28 rue de Richelieu
    75001 PARIS
    Tél.+33(0)1.44.55.02.00
    Fax +33(0)1.44.55.08.69
    paris@pnicolai.com

YSL:

November 15, 2010

Thank you for visiting Yves Saint Laurent Beauté on the Web with your request for fragrance samples.

Although we do not have samples to send, we provide testers at the counters so that you will have the opportunity to try our products before buying.

We appreciate your interest in Yves Saint Laurent Beauté.

Sincerely,
    Ileana
    Consumer Affairs Specialist
    Ref # 5817190

Creed basically told me to.....well....you catch my drift.

Hermes was great. They were more than happy to send me some samples. I have only tried Voyage from what they sent me but I am hoping to like some of the others more. Them actually sending the samples makes me WANT to buy another bottle from them. If not at least I have one fragrence from them already (Terre D'Hermes)

Default Re: Which niche houses are generous with samples?

Requested four Penhaligons samples last week. Two just arrived in the mail, with a third, non-requested vial as well!
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Bond No.9 is also very good with samples!
    Gary

Blog Entries

I recieved an email from Bond stating that they would not be giving out free samples online anymore. They told me I could call them to order 6 samples for 15 bucks. They are generous with the Bond samples at Saks, though.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.