Code of Conduct

Default What notes create powder

Natural talc has no fragrance to speak of, so the idea of something smelling like powder must be an association people have with perfumed dusting powder. In the U.S. I'm going to guess it's primarily J&J Baby Powder and some early barber powders that have a similar combination. And maybe it's similar elsewhere in the world. And with everyone using the term "powder," there must be a combination of notes perfume makers turn to when I client says they want a powder fragrance. Anyone know what they are?

Default Re: What notes create powder

I often get a powdery feel from these notes: heliotrope, iris, opoponax, myrhh and benjoin.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Scents that often exhibit strong iris notes, to me, conjure the image of powder.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I have wondered about this for so long and did not want to display my noviceship (a word I just made up) by asking.

Sometimes I smell perfumes and after hearing the term I would think maybe this is one of those powdery ones. It smells kind of like powder to me. Tomorrow I will go through my collection/samples and see which ones I think are powdery and see what they contain. Socalwoman " heliotrope, iris, opoponax, myrhh and benjoin." sound like as good a place to start as any.

But then there's the Johnson Baby Powder theory from .Andrew_B. Maybe in our subconscious we remember powder from someplace that had a similar scent. Therefore, do each of us have our own concept of what is a powder scent?

This is a great topic.
    Last edited by BetsyMeszaros; 28th August 2014 at 12:55 AM.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Seconding the iris note, sometimes also certain hints of lavender may create (at least to my nose) a particular powderiness.

Surprisingly, many notes are very powdery on some level. Iris is an obvious one, but many florals gave this aspect: orange blossom, violet, lilac, heliotrope, and carnation coming to mind as ones common to a number of fragrances. Coumarin is quite powdery and common to many fragrances and some natural ingredients, namely lavender and tonka, the core of the fougere genre. Almond notes are powdery, too. Additionally, some resins such as benzoin, opoponax, and balsam tolu and peru are very powdery.

Last but not least, perfumery has been for a long time incorporated many synthetics ( probably better listed by a qualified perfumer ), and many musks and synthetics are quite powdery ( as an example of one I've smelled is Musk Ketone, a mild powdery-floral musk ).

This probably doesn't clear up much, but powdery is more a quality than a note per se.

Like others have mentioned, the Iris note.

All of the above responses, plus that particular violet-rose accord that was present in so many cosmetics. Also, a very light and dry sandalwood can create an impression of "powderiness" without any reference to sweetness.

Dia Man has a powder feel, and it has

Top Notes
    Bigarade, Cardamom, Incense, Cistus labdanum

Middle Notes
    Ylang-ylang, Orris, Peony, Plum blossom

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Leather, Amber, Patchouli, Palissander
    I assume the powder is in florals.

Notes don't create the quality, and not everyone perceives "powdery" the same way. Specific ingredients or combinations of them an generate that perception in some people. If you read note pyramids, you'll likely find that iris, violet, and amber are more associated (in online commentary) with powderiness than anything else, but as others mentioned there are several other good possibilities. When I first try a scent, I seek to determine the texture, other than notes or aroma chemicals that really "spike out," and to me there are different kinds of powderiness, such as a heavy/wet one and a dry/particulate one. I'm only concerned about this in terms of whether I enjoy the scent, and any powdery quality can be fine for me, as the overall composition is the key. You can post a question in the DIY forum and ask how the perfumers there create different kinds of scents with this quality.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 29th August 2014 at 05:32 AM.

bits of panther

So it looks like this can occur in different ways. Probably based on people's experiences with perfumed powders, and the associations people have made.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B. View Post
    Dia Man has a powder feel, and it has

I assume the powder is in florals.
    Orris and amber are the main culprits for Dia Man.

Surprised no mention of Patchouli thus far. To me it often offers a dry pollen-like powder quality. This would contribute to the dry cocoa-dust dry down of LIDGE.

Florals seem to be the common thread

honey
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Surprisingly, many notes are very powdery on some level. Iris is an obvious one, but many florals gave this aspect: orange blossom, violet, lilac, heliotrope, and carnation coming to mind as ones common to a number of fragrances. Coumarin is quite powdery and common to many fragrances and some natural ingredients, namely lavender and tonka, the core of the fougere genre. Almond notes are powdery, too. Additionally, some resins such as benzoin, opoponax, and balsam tolu and peru are very powdery.

Last but not least, perfumery has been for a long time incorporated many synthetics ( probably better listed by a qualified perfumer ), and many musks and synthetics are quite powdery ( as an example of one I've smelled is Musk Ketone, a mild powdery-floral musk ).

This probably doesn't clear up much, but powdery is more a quality than a note per se.

+1. Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Blog Entries

The main culprit is orris.