Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: On Getting Free Samples from Companies Now

Quote Originally Posted by bleedredandblue View Post
    Jack - I went through the "Contact Us" form on the Hermes USA store website (http://usa.hermes.com/customer-service/contact-us/usa). (I know that's the US version - perhaps there's also one for the UK or EU?) Anyway, specified the frags I was interested in. That got me an email a day later saying they'd be sending a package. A couple from the Jardin series and Vetiver Tonka on the way!
    I wish I lived in the States as I did the same thing you did but on the UK website just asking for Bel Ami & Equipage samples and that was the response I got. I guess you cannot be lucky all the time. Enjoy your samples though and post your thoughts on them when you receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I emailed Hermes about acquiring some samples and was told they only give them out for professional purposes and that I would have to travel to one of their stores.
    Jack you're not alone. Hermes replied with exactly that answer but suggested I travel to Manchester Selfridges where there may be testers at the counter for the later additions to the Hermessence range.

So to test once would cost me approximately £40? I think not. After that treatment I won't be buying Hermes anytime soon

Update - received the first package from Penhaligon's/L'Artisan. Apparently they're either owned by the same parent company or distributed by the same vendor here in the USA. Six samples, just as asked for. One was obviously a commercial sample, while five others were decants. Only bothered to smell the Bois Farine from L'Artisan last night (got them late and had to be at a big meeting today - not a time to experiment), but quite liked it in a fun, whimsical sort of way. It's obviously a bit novelty with the doughy/nutty note (kind of like a good, seedy/nutty bread), but, again, it feels like a fun, casual fragrance. Looking forward to trying out the rest, plus the forthcoming stuff from Hermes, Annick Goutal, and Trumper!

Keep fighting the good fight with the sample requests everyone!

Got a nice double-spray carded sample today in the mail from Killian for their new "Asian Tales" line. It had "Bamboo Harmony" and "Water Calligraphy" in it, in a very nice stylish presentation . All the way from France, and with real postage stamps on it to boot.

Granted I'm not Mr. Jose Berlato Junior ( I'm actually Bob Johnson ) but at least they got my address right.

Being on their mailing list has been a good thing, as I'm not sure how else I'd get to sample these offerings.

All the goods have arrived from Hermes, Goutal, Trumper! Callooh callay! The Goutal and Trumper packages straight from the streets of Paris and London, respectively. Still have one on the way from Floris. Did get rejected by Amouage and Diptyque, no reply from Miller Harris and Heeley.

Tremendous way to get introduced to some of the niche houses. Loving Penhaligon's Endymion, and Hermes Vetiver Tonka is really, really good. Some others I've not been as into, but in most cases you can still appreciate the attention put into these fragrances and the quality of the materials.

Many thx to the other contributors in this thread for all the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Got a nice double-spray carded sample today in the mail from Killian for their new "Asian Tales" line. It had "Bamboo Harmony" and "Water Calligraphy" in it, in a very nice stylish presentation . All the way from France, and with real postage stamps on it to boot.

Granted I'm not Mr. Jose Berlato Junior ( I'm actually Bob Johnson ) but at least they got my address right.

Being on their mailing list has been a good thing, as I'm not sure how else I'd get to sample these offerings.

I emailed them requesting samples and received a response recommending I contact a point of sale. Time to join the mailing list!

Default Hey you! yeah you..would you like some free samples? Continue reading this.

Hello Basenotes,

Detterence_of_Frags once again, but this time I bring you great news! I have recently tried to obtain free samples from co.labors which would provide me with some. I am happy to being you all the great news that some companies are still willing to send you free samples. Yes, that's right! Absolutely free! No shipping charges. Every heard of Trumper & Hermes? I had inquired in regards for samples, and *poof* I recieved replies. I inquired for samples to Fredrick Malle, Trumper, Hermes. I recieved a reply from all of them, but the ones that are absolutely free are Trumpet & Hermes.

Trumper really gives you such an assortment of samples to try out. I literally recieved 12 things in a nice bag from them. Hermes hasn't sent anything yet, but I was able to receive a message from them which requested my address so they could send me samples (so I'm currently waiting on Hermes). Malle did reply, but they charged 20 dollars for shipping on 3x 2ml samples.

I honestly am impressed by Trumper since I've grown much interest in the Almond shaving cream I have. I will definitely be buying some. The fragrances, however, are not appealing to me. If you want some free samples then just email Trumper & Hermesand they'll most likely be able to accomodate your needs, but people..please don't forget to be corteous, nice and thankful. I can post up examples of my email to show you how an appropriate way of asking for samples, upon request that is.

That's all for today ladies & gentlemen. I hope this was of some help to a people. If anyone else knows other companies that give free products then please feel free to reply and add so we can all help each other out. For those interested in samples and.don't mind a cost then I reccomend looking at aedes* for their 7 fragrances for 15 dollars. This is a very good deal, and I got a sample shipment from them too. No problems whatsoever.

Enjoy!

Recently tried to get free samples from Frederic Malle. I guess their definition of "free" differs from mine, this is what they emailed back:

Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.

We would be happy to send you some samples.

We offer a sample service. Due to its specific packing, a shipping cost of $20.00 is charged for a set of three samples.

If you would like to select some fragrances to try, you could email your credit card details – we only require the numbers on the front and the expiry date - which we will then delete immediately upon processing your order. Or if you would rather, you could telephone us at the boutique.

Kind regards

A few weeks back, I visited the Creed counter at a David Jone's here in Sydney (probably the equivalent of Sak's or Neiman Marcus in the states) with the intention of smelling a bottle or two I hadn't tried yet. Talked to the sales representative for about 5 minutes about my favourites from the house, which ones I owned and what I was interested in. Left with 3 x 2.5ml sample vials even though I never asked nor intended to get samples.

Sometimes, establishing rapport as well as being polite and courteous is the simplest way.

Hi guys! I glanced at this thread and saw that it was made in 2005, and I thought it was dead and tried to start a new thread, but I was informed that this one is still active! Yay I'll just copy-paste some of what I said previously:

"Hello! I'm new to Basenotes, as you all can probably tell. Anyways, as I am a student with a small budget, I prefer to order samples before I buy a perfume, as well as to test how the fragrance works on my skin. I also wish to widen and experiment with my sense of smell. I'm rather new at identifying scents, but I'm getting much better at singling out certain notes. I've looked at older threads, but some of them are quite old and I thought it would be nice to make a new one, as companies often change policies and such.

I've had good luck thus far with acquiring samples (still waiting for them to come though), but does anyone know of any companies that are rather generous with samples? I'm a bit far from any boutiques/malls with nice perfume counters to ask for them (I live in the middle-of-nowhere Northern Virginia).

If anyone is interested, here are companies I've had good luck with:

Mor (small samples of lotions)
    Omnia Profumi
    Hermes (Recieved! 3 small boxes, each containing two 2ml spray samples)
    Agent Provocateur (Recieved! A box of three different spray samples, a miniature(!!!) of one of them, and two lotion samples. Shipped from London, too.)
    Floris (Recieved! Five 2ml card vials.)
    Penhaligon's (Recieved! Three 1ml samples)
    Annick Goutal (Recieved! A lovely package from Paris with a handwritten note, a pretty bag, and 5 card samples!)
    Byredo (Recieved! Three small spray vials)
    Lutens"

No reply from:
    Montale
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Lolita Lempicka
    a few others

No from:
    Bond
    Robert Piguet
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Heeley
    Killian
    Monyette
    Narciso Rodriguez
    Parfumerie Generale
    Jo Malone
    Alexa Lixfeld
    Last edited by sweetoleander; 18th August 2012 at 03:40 PM.

It's probably posted somewhere in this thread, but I had great success with getting free samples from Jo Loves. As you all know, they don't offer samples online and don't have a store, so you can't try before you buy, unless you find offerings on ebay, etc. I simply emailed them, politely asking if they might send me samples as I am very keen to try the new fragrances and that I would be happy to pay for them. I got an instant reply with an offer of samples free of charge! I suppose it helps that I live in London. Not sure if they'd ship internationally.

Another perfume brand that is generous with samples is Annick Goutal. My local store would give any amount of samples if they have it in store. The man who works there is very nice and I am never made to feel that I have to buy.
    Do happy

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladymurasaki View Post
    It's probably posted somewhere in this thread, but I had great success with getting free samples from Jo Loves. As you all know, they don't offer samples online and don't have a store, so you can't try before you buy, unless you find offerings on ebay, etc. I simply emailed them, politely asking if they might send me samples as I am very keen to try the new fragrances and that I would be happy to pay for them. I got an instant reply with an offer of samples free of charge! I suppose it helps that I live in London. Not sure if they'd ship internationally..

I asked months ago and they said they do not ship internationally.

Does Lutens ship internationally? I sent them an email regarding samples and received no reply.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Lutens sent us a set of wax samples from France. These can be smoothed onto the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetoleander View Post
    Does Lutens ship internationally? I sent them an email regarding samples and received no reply.
    Only wax samples which, in my opinion, are next to useless.

Perfumes are only mailed within the EU.

for swap/sale:

I suppose they don't do that anymore, or they didn't get my request. Pity.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetoleander View Post
    I suppose they don't do that anymore, or they didn't get my request. Pity.
    Ask again! Ask specifically for wax samples and name the ones you want to try. I agree that they are not as useful as edt or edp samples would be, but even so, you can get a pretty good idea of the scent.

I might have to ask for those waxies..though..why wax? Oh well, better than nothin!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Wax doesn't contain alcohol so no special permits are required to ship them, perhaps....think of them a a solid perfume.

Good points 30R.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I'll try again. I can't seem to find the email address for Lutens though, I cleared out my 'Sent' box and it is not on the website. Does anyone have it?

-----

Update:

Have it!
    Last edited by sweetoleander; 8th August 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Mmm, Lutens contacted me, said they were out of stock? Weird, ugh. They specifically said, their 'little book of perfumes was out of stock' whatever that meant. I guess that meant the waxes. Disappointed.

I asked Lutens for samples and they replied they'd be happy to send me samples they just needed my address and other info. As soon as I sent it they replied that they will ask the Paris boutique if they can grant my wish, been over 3 weeks so I doubt I'll be getting anything from them.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    ... been over 3 weeks so I doubt I'll be getting anything from them.
    No, they do take rather a long time to arrive. Hang in there.

My wax set sample was approved and arrived a month or so ago, absolutely beautiful presentation. I imagine they get tons of emails from folks wanting samples so it may help if you include a little info about your love for the house, your fav scents, etc. I mentioned how I use Suzan (shop france) for my bell jars and how much I love the house of SL. So, not to sound rude, but put a little effort and consideration into your request to stand out from the bunch. I'd imagine most letters they receive come off as kinda opportunistic, especially seeing as how these wax sets go for 30-40 USD on ebay. I imagine if you write "Hey I love SL can I get some samples?" it'd be ignored or request denied.

I actually really enjoy the wax samples. To be honest, wax is misleading. If you've ever used something like Carmex lip balm you may have an idea the consistency, more of a very firm gel. I got excellent longevity from them and found them to be very accurate representations of their EdP counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    No, they do take rather a long time to arrive. Hang in there.
    Alright thanks for the glimmer of hope

I got my Lutens samples yesterday! :0

There is a perfume and soap company named Mistral who offers free samples of their perfumes if you request them.

http://www.mistralsoap.com/CTUS.html

I think you can email them at the info email addy.

I've received warm responses from the following:

Divine
    Hermes
    Trumper
    Floris
    Byredo
    Malle
    Penhaligon's

What e-mail have you used for Lutens? There seems to be something wrong with the one they have listed on their website. My e-mails keep getting returned.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum View Post
    What e-mail have you used for Lutens? There seems to be something wrong with the one they have listed on their website. My e-mails keep getting returned.
    I've not had any problem with the email address listed on their website. They'll send you "the small book" with solid perfume samples. If you subscribe to the newsletter, they will sometimes send you an email with an offer of a free sample in a glass atomiser when a new fragrance is released.
    Do happy

^ Thanks, I found an e-mail that worked. This is the reply I received, I do not know whether to invest some hope into this or chalk it up to the olde run-around

"Thank you for your interest in the Serge Lutens brand.
    We have forwarded your request onto the Salons du Palais Royal, who will respond as soon as possible.
    We remain at your disposal should you require further information.

With kindest regards,
    Angélina"

In better news, I also received a positive response from Mugler!

Basenotes Plus

Default New James Bond 007 free sample

Hello all,

I hope this isn't in violation of Rule 2.10 No soliciting or advertising but I found that their website is allowing you to have a free sample sent to your home if you live in the right country. Here is the link:

http://www.007fragrances.com/fragran...sive-content/#

Default Re: New James Bond 007 free sample

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Hello all,

I hope this isn't in violation of Rule 2.10 No soliciting or advertising but I found that their website is allowing you to have a free sample sent to your home if you live in the right country. Here is the link:

http://www.007fragrances.com/fragran...sive-content/#
    Smelling like Daniel Craig is only available to those in Germany, Austria, UK and Switzerland

I got a response from Serge Lutens, and it sounds like they will be sending me samples (not sure which ones). But, from what others said in this thread, they don't ship internationally. So, idk.

^ what e-mail did you use for Lutens?

^ what e-mail did you use for Lutens?
    contact@sergelutens.com

Well I got my "samples" from Lutens. They are just wax or something, so they are pretty worthless. Plus, most of what they sent me seems to be female fragrances...and no Cherugi, which was the whole point for me.

This was an interesting thread to discover! I tried e-mailing Penhaligons and Serge Lutens. Both came back to me very quickly - Penhaligons are sending a sample of 'Sartorial' (they didn't have 'Endymion' or 'Opus 1870' available but I have discovered that they have an outlet in Edinburgh so I can try them there) and Lutens are sending me their 'little book'. I believe this will be the waxes but that's ok. I was so pleased, I'm hoping I find something to like in both houses so I can maybe buy a bottle from each (I already really like Lutens 'Santal Majuscule')

I've received warm responses from the following:

Divine
    Hermes
    Trumper
    Floris
    Byredo
    Malle
    Penhaligon's

Ditto on Hermes, although Malle did not respond to my personalized walkthrough thing.

Has Anyone had any luck getting samples in Australia ?

Also what exactly do you write in your emails ?

" Im a big fan of your fragrances and have been using ( insert name) for as long as I can remember. I am very interested in experiencing some of your other fragrances but my local department store doesn't stock them. Could I please get a sample of ( insert name). I am more than happy to pay for any associated postage costs. Thanks "

Lutens don't answer emails. You need to write to their paris royal address. I did twice in the past, once for myself and another time for my friend. In both times, I got a pack of 4 carded wax samples, each containing 4 perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    Ditto on Hermes, although Malle did not respond to my personalized walkthrough thing.
    Malle finally responed, it just took forever.

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    Lutens don't answer emails. You need to write to their paris royal address. I did twice in the past, once for myself and another time for my friend. In both times, I got a pack of 4 carded wax samples, each containing 4 perfumes.
    How odd, because I always get a response from them and they send me samples, even vials.
    Do happy

Lutens responded very quickly when I e-mailed them and a couple of weeks later I received their pack of 'concretes' which I'm gradually working my way through. There's a lot to sniff there and I found them speedy and courteous.

Quote Originally Posted by IainCD View Post
    Lutens responded very quickly when I e-mailed them and a couple of weeks later I received their pack of 'concretes' which I'm gradually working my way through. There's a lot to sniff there and I found them speedy and courteous.
    That has also been my experience with them every time
    Do happy

In better news, I also received a positive response from Mugler!
    I tried a few weeks ago and had no luck. They replied with the usual 'when you order something you can select some samples'. Interestingly enough the two that I wanted to sample (Pure Malt and Pure Havane) were not available as samples. Had to blind buy both.

Just thought I'd let those that sub to this thread know that I got 5 4mL samples from Hermes today after emailing them about the Hermessence line a week ago. They sent Santal, Vetiver Tonka, Poivre, Ambre, and Osmanthe.

I'm very impressed with their customer service, especially giving such large samples (granted they are dab and not spray). Still, thumbs up to them!
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 21st December 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

After finding and really enjoying Encre Noire, and having a hard time finding any retail outlet to check out their other scents, I randomly emailed Lalique to see if they'd send some samples. Sure enough, they got back to me a day later and sent out a package with a few samples. They were out of a few others but promised to send them when they get them in. I'm really enjoying Equus! Rich spices interweaving with a coniferous note (sometimes I think pine, sometimes cedar, but I see in the pyramid it's juniper berries at the top. Go figure.) Smooth, classy stuff. Lalique makes some great fragrances - Equus, to me, is easy niche quality stuff - and you can get almost all of them for dirt cheap through the Interwebs.

Default Re: High end designer / niche sites that offer free samples ?

Rosine sells samples in sets of 3 or 15-- see the listing for "echantillons" in their boutique; they're a good deal as it includes shipping: http://www.les-parfums-de-rosine.com...t&rub=boutique[/QUOTE]

Would like to ask what size ml are the Rosine samples ? Thanks
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

I recently emailed Floris to get a free sample of their exclusive Mahon Leather fragrance which retails at £99 and they sent me a nice 2ml sample. A very nice plush & luxurious leather fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I wish I lived in the States as I did the same thing you did but on the UK website just asking for Bel Ami & Equipage samples and that was the response I got. I guess you cannot be lucky all the time. Enjoy your samples though and post your thoughts on them when you receive them.
    sure.

I think hermes europe in general is not particularly very go-giver
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

A number of houses referenced like Cereus and Piguet now have sample offerings shown on their website, which consists of what appears like "scratch 'n sniff" swatches. When I was at Sephora, the saleswoman helping me gave me a bunch of these types of samples (in addition to real ones in 1ml vials), which was the first time I'd seen these. I suspect asking for samples from many of these places will result in a "please have a look at our samples offering on the website" with a link. Some places have reasonably priced samples of actual liquid, but you do have to pay for them.

Default Re: Geo F. Trumper---Free samples, *class act.

Lutens, Floris and Hermes all said that they would send me samples.. Haven't received anything yet, but it's only been a week.

Hermes sent me some. Their message mechanism is primitive and you get a form reply. But... low and behold, they sent samples after a couple of weeks. I was surprised, as the Hermes boutique in NYC is not far from me. You'd figure they would have just sent me a polite invitation to their store. Instead a nice padded envelope arrived with samples from the Hermessence line, with a return address on 59th street in Manhattan. Again, they didn't really need to send me samples, but they did anyway. I wrote back and thanked them heartily, upon which i did get a personal response. They were quite pleasant! Nobody else I've written to has been as forthcoming. I think the age of free samples is just about over.
    Last edited by cytherian; 20th December 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Hermes sent me some. Their message mechanism is primitive and you get a form reply. But... low and behold, they sent samples after a couple of weeks. I was surprised, as the Hermes boutique in NYC is not far from me. You'd figure they would have just sent me a polite invitation to their store. Instead a nice padded envelope arrived with samples from the Hermessence line, with a return address on 59th street in Manhattan. Again, they didn't really need to send me samples, but they did anyway. I wrote back and thanked them heartily, upon which i did get a personal response. They were quite pleasant! Nobody else I've written to has been as forthcoming. I think the age of free samples is just about over.
    That's very nice that they did that, and the exclusive line no less. Congrats!
    (1900)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Agreed, just sent Hermes an email, got immediate response. I look forward to getting them, love this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by marleygirl View Post
    Agreed, just sent Hermes an email, got immediate response. I look forward to getting them, love this thread!
    Let us know what you think when you get them.

(2520)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi, a quick question: How do you get free samples and are there any websites to get some? Thanks.. Really appreciate it.

Hi gooddeal123 - there are some suggestions in this thread - just check out the websites mentioned, or others that interest you, then send an email.
    I've never tried, but some appear to have success.

Default Re: Geo F. Trumper---Free samples, *class act.

Hi Mario Happy 2014 from another cuban outside the island I guess you are, I have a question when you get your samples you buy them or you just request them to the company, i stop to the trumpers web page and they dont have any samples availables they say till January 2014, I tryng to email some of the companys but for some reason their email dont work very well, any suggestion of company to get samples, Thank you very much.