Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Am I the only young guy here that DOESN'T like sweet fragrances?

No offense to those who do, but I notice that all the young'ns mostly prefer sweet fragrances like Le Male and Tobacco Vanille.

I hate sweet fragrances. I prefer classic citrus chypres or men's fragrances that actually SMELL LIKE men's fragrances.

This is not an attack. It's just my opinion, which can be right or wrong.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Am I the only young guy here that DOESN'T like sweet fragrances?

hooooooooooooooooooooow dare you!!!!!!!

hahah just kidding.

Im definitely sure your not the only one. And im starting to like all kinds of fragrances and appreciating everything good. I just have an extreme sweet tooth

how "young" are we talking about here? My dad still thinks he's young but takes advantage of the senior discounts (they don't even ask for ID)...
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    how "young" are we talking about here?.
    20 years old
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

I feel the same way as you and the only alcohol I can actually buy is either isopropyl or fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ASchell90 View Post
    I feel the same way as you and the only alcohol I can actually buy is either isopropyl or fragrances.
    YEEEEEEEEEEE-HA! We're still young, alright
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    YEEEEEEEEEEE-HA! We're still young, alright
    Enjoy it, kiddo. Keep your primary conscious awareness in the now and visit the past and the future only when you need them for practical purposes. Time begins speeding up once you get into your 20s and years go by the same way months did when you were younger. Before it goes by in a blink, give yourself a chance to look around a bit. Ferris Bueller said that, and he had a point.

Once women pushing strollers begin looking attractive to you, you've reached hyperspeed. Once you're invisible to college aged girls, you might as well throw in the towel. And finally, when you're offering unsolicited words of advice like I am right now, Valhalla awaits.

Now get off my lawn, son!

Me no like sweet either, although I suppose the opening of Aventus borders on it. My mainstays - (Rive Gauche, Rose 31, AdP Intensa, Gendarme) aren't sweet at all.
    Last edited by adonis; 3rd February 2011 at 04:22 AM.

I was under the impression that the preferred fragrances for most of the people half my age were chemical weapons disguised as fresh sporty fragrances. So some sweetness is progress.

One must hope that they eventually move to Chanel pour monsieur (non concentree), Aramis, and Knize Ten, rather than Virgin island water and Allure.

cacio

I get why a lot of young guys like sweeter scents. They're easy to appreciate, chicks their age dig 'em, they feel substantial but they're approachable...it's the first logical branch away from the fresh scents they were raised on.

Full disclosure: I actually took the opposite trajectory. I was always drawn to dry, pure scents, and I'm just now coming around to the sweets. We can all learn from each other!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Im 22, and while i enjoy some sweet frags a la serge lutens and tom ford, i have to say that my interests also lie in the complete opposite direction. BdP, BdG, New York...blah blah. In any case, you are not alone.

currently 18, i love all sorts of fragrances, whether they are MANLY or Sweet or FLORAL MANLY (my absolute favorite) ahaha. I dunno i like everything :]

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    currently 18, i love all sorts of fragrances, whether they are MANLY or Sweet or FLORAL MANLY (my absolute favorite) ahaha. I dunno i like everything :]
    Me too! I can enjoy almost anything. Once I think I know what I like, I'll try a fragrance I thought I'd hate and end up loving it. Now I'm willing to wear women's fragrances, so I have that whole world open to me now as well.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Im not too into sweet perfumes. The sweetest I will go is something by Serge Lutens and even then his "sweetness" is balanced out with something spicy and/or woody.

Does it matter? Wear what you like and don't be so analytical.

How can 'sweet' be not so sweet to anyone ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I am fairly young, and I really do not like very sweet fragrances. Some of them are good, but stuff like Le Male simply gives me a headache.

One Million and le male give me headaches too saccharine

The sweeter, the better

I like pleasant sweet scents such as New Haarlem, Bond no. 9 Success, Chergui.

Overly sweet / Overly projecting scents like 1 Million or JPG burn my nostrils.

I'm 43 and I don't like most sweet scents. Ones I do like are Givenchy Play (I hate Play Intense), D&G The One, D&G Pour Homme, and Dior Homme.

1 Million, A*Men, New Haarlem, Pi and the like are just too much for me. They kinda make me sick.

I must agree here. I go into macys to find what may be on the "buy next" list and usually leave just learning what not to buy. Calvin Klein is probably one of the biggest offenders and that new Ralph Lauren line they came out with just makes me shake my head. The chanel counter sometimes saves me but still...some mainstreams i do like are Versace Eau Friache, more woodsy or something than just sweet. And Abercrombie Fierce believe it or not...it gets bashed alot and yes the stores reek of it but its a good scent in moderation.

I feel bad for people that get headaches from Le Male. Thats like being allergic to good food

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Does it matter? Wear what you like and don't be so analytical.
    Yes it does matter. I also enjoy reading threads that are analytical. Thank you
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm 29. Throughout my 20s I wore Allure Homme. It's classified as a "sweet-ish" sort of scent, although it never struck me as exceptionally sweet. Definitely '90s though.

I've since realized that I enjoy things that smell naturally sweet, like florals or light fougeres, but am not into gourmands or those things that are intentionally saccharine. Gourmands are just not my style. Never were and very likely never will be, either.

I hate sweet fragrances. So tired of hearing about Musc Ravageur, Angel, BdP, Tam Dao, L'air Du Desert and blah blah blah.... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I hate sweet fragrances. So tired of hearing about Musc Ravageur, Angel, BdP, Tam Dao, L'air Du Desert and blah blah blah.... ugh.
    BdP Sweet??!?!

Tam Dao sweet?!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Enjoy it, kiddo. Keep your primary conscious awareness in the now and visit the past and the future only when you need them for practical purposes. Time begins speeding up once you get into your 20s and years go by the same way months did when you were younger. Before it goes by in a blink, give yourself a chance to look around a bit. Ferris Bueller said that, and he had a point.

Once women pushing strollers begin looking attractive to you, you've reached hyperspeed. Once you're invisible to college aged girls, you might as well throw in the towel. And finally, when you're offering unsolicited words of advice like I am right now, Valhalla awaits.

Now get off my lawn, son!

Me no like sweet either, although I suppose the opening of Aventus borders on it. My mainstays - (Rive Gauche, Rose 31, AdP Intensa, Gendarme) aren't sweet at all.

By now I like good frags of all genres but when I started this hobby around 3 years back it was partially because I so wanted to liek le Male etc but couldnt and was looking for other decent compliment garners
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    BdP Sweet??!?!
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Tam Dao sweet?!
    Ok maybe Tam Dao isn't sweet, but we all know that mostly the sweet of the niche fragrances mentioned a ton. Why are they always the most popular it seems?

Blog Entries

I enjoy other fragrances, but my sweet tooth is a mammoth! I appreciate other frags. I wear sweet frags

i'm a spice man. eh...

Ok maybe Tam Dao isn't sweet, but we all know that mostly the sweet of the niche fragrances mentioned a ton. Why are they always the most popular it seems?
    That is true. I wish it weren't the case. I always try to put in a word for the lonely bitter greens (French Lover), the sharp aromatics (LV Uomo), and the oddities (Nostalgia). Chergui and Tobacco Vanille get enough attention as it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Chergui and Tobacco Vanille get enough attention as it is.
    Tobacco Vanille should be re-named as "honey marshmallow pancakes"
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

DeepSilence

I didn't like sweet fragrances, but after i tried Rochas Men, Pour Un Homme by Caron and JoOp! Homme, my opinion has changed about sweet fragrances. Still i don't like all of them, but i don't judge, and i don't reject them very soon.