Code of Conduct

Default Pronunciation of Millésime

What is the correct pronunciation of the word Millésime?

Default Re: Pronunciation of Millésime

I think it's:

Mia-Seem
    Me-ah-Seam

not:
    Mill-ah-syme

I speak no French tho...

This question has been asked before, and from what I could understand, the closest I can come is

Mih - leh - zeem

I guess the question is about whether or not the "L"s are voiced at all.

I don't speak french either, so it might sound weird if I actually did pronounce all of these fancy names correctly! - Like when someone at a Mexican resturaunt rolls their "r"s when pronouncing a food name!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 26th February 2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

In French, when you have double "L"s it's pronounced like a Y.

So I think it's mee-yeh-szeem. But my French has gotten rusty over the years, and I've never actually heard the word being said so someone may correct me.

Where's JaimeB? I heard he teaches French

Mee-lay-seem

Usually the double-L is a Y sound indeed, as in french "village" or "bataille," but there are some exceptions and I don't know what the rule is for when they happen, but in the case of millésime there is an L sound, although it isn't stressed. I also like what Scentronic has done using the z in -zeem, that's not too bad at mirroring pronounciation, but there's a sort of cross between s and z that would be most accurate.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

In that case, I stand corrected.

The L's in "village" are actually pronounced in French as L's. There are rules and exceptions but they tend to become a Y when after an "ai" or when they're towards the end of a word followed by an "e" like Bastille or volaille,

The correct pronunciation is Mee-Leh-zeem

Millésime means the year of the vintage. Like a vintage wine from 1877 has a millesime of 1877.
    Creed uses it to imply that their lines are fine classy vintage gems.

http://littre.reverso.net/dictionnai...3%A9sime/48274
    You'd have to read french to undersatnd this, but it says what I just said, and it has the pronunciation syllables,
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 26th February 2008 at 07:59 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I'd always assumed it was Mee-lez-i-may.

Milly seem

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    The L's in "village" are actually pronounced in French as L's. There are rules and exceptions but they tend to become a Y when after an "ai" or when they're towards the end of a word followed by an "e" like Bastille or volaille,
    I stand corrected as well!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Miley-cyruss...I'm sorry. That's a weak attempt at humor for the Hannah Montana fans.

I speak French but continue to find that language as hard to understand as the people speaking it:

- 'mille' (which means 'thousand') is pronounced [mil]
    - 'fille' (which means 'girl') is pronounced [fij]

Perhaps there's some rule that explains this, but I never learned it, just memorized the words one by one...

Couple years ago I talked to a SA at Neiman Marcus who pronounced it

melissa may (phonetically)

In this case it is the é after the ll's that make a big difference.

Millésime = Meeleh zeem. But the leh is not like lay but like luh (almost).
    However, you might see or hear millésimé which is an adjective and then you would hear the "e" at the end.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

mee-lay-ZEEM. The word "millésime" refers to the date on a monument or a coin.

The "-ille" combination in French is pronounced "eey" at the end of some words and "eel" at the end of others. The first pronunciation is the more usual one, but in some common words, such as "mille" (a thousand) and "ville" (town or city), it's the latter. Because "millésime" is derived from "mille," the "l" sound is preserved in the derived word.

In the combination "-aille" at the end of words, it's pronounced like the English word "eye." Examples are words like "Versailles" (the place name), "fiançailles" (engagement, betrothal), and "canaille" (scoundrel, riffraff).

Isn't French fun?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post

The correct pronunciation is Mee-Leh-zeem
    This is they way it is pronounced, now depending on where you are from in France, the accented é could either be pronounced as e in 'peck', or, e as in there. I say it closer to the e in there, but never harsh; in french we don't stress any of the syllables in a word.

Also, most SA's do not know the correct pronunciation for the products. When I worked with Dior, the trainer told the whole group "With the exception of Francoise and Gabrielle, please just say the names in english, you WILL mispronounce it. Just leave the french pronunciation to the two french women." It was funny, she explained the difference between Poison, and poisson, and had me say the two words. When no one could tell the difference, she said that is why they should just use english.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    This is they way it is pronounced, now depending on where you are from in France, the accented é could either be pronounced as e in 'peck', or, e as in there. I say it closer to the e in there, but never harsh; in french we don't stress any of the syllables in a word.

Also, most SA's do not know the correct pronunciation for the products. When I worked with Dior, the trainer told the whole group "With the exception of Francoise and Gabrielle, please just say the names in english, you WILL mispronounce it. Just leave the french pronunciation to the two french women." It was funny, she explained the difference between Poison, and poisson, and had me say the two words. When no one could tell the difference, she said that is why they should just use english.
    FYI: "Poison" = poison; "poisson" = fish. Some fish are poisonous, that is, "vénéneux." Go figure!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 27th February 2008 at 06:12 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    FYI: "Poison" = poison; "poisson" = fish. Some fish are posionous, that is, "vénéneux." Go figure!
    Oh, I love my language, it is so complicated. But I have to say english is complicated also. Just like english speakers not understanding the slight difference in the pronunciation of poisson vs poison, I always found then vs than to be quite tricky. Actually I still do, I really have to listen to context. Language is such fun.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tt...le.php?sitepal

Type the word then hear it pronounced. Many languages and different voices.

In fact most languages are tame compared to English when it comes to irregularities in spelling.

Take for example words that end with "-ough" in English. You have "cough" (pronounced coff) "rough" (ruff), "though" (thow) etc...

Part of the reason I love Korean and Arabic - you can read as it is written and you know you're saying it right.

it's milleh-seem

where are all these people getting the "z" sound?
    --------------------------------------
    oh.....ma bad...
    JamieB already clarified that
    Last edited by squirrelmilk; 27th February 2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermčs - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.