Code of Conduct

Default New diy black rose frag

Hello all, I have been busy for a minute or two working on a new scent. I absolutely love middle eastern attars and oud in general. I also love the work of Pierre Montale, particularly black aoud. But, as is my way, it just isn't good enough for me.... I need it darker and spicier, almost scary black. So, I have been working on a oud based dark rose fragrance and thought I would share with y'all. I've dumped many failures to this point, but now have something in oil form I am liking quite a bit. I don't have a name for it yet but here are the notes in general.... Sandalwood, Cambodian oud,patchouli, Bulgarian rose otto, carnation absolute(adds a wonderful smoke/spice note) , musk and a citrus accord plus some other ingredients that add to making the naturals and the overall fragrance what I want it to be. Any and all feedback is appreciated as wellas input and suggestions. Going to dlute soon will have samples once the vials arrive.

Default Re: New diy black rose frag

Sounds a lot like what I'm working on.. though our inspirations differ.

That sounds so beautiful! One of my favorite BPAL's is the now, sadly, discontinued Phantom with a very dominant rose attar note.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    That sounds so beautiful! One of my favorite BPAL's is the now, sadly, discontinued Phantom with a very dominant rose attar note.
    I am exploring dark rose scents as well and loving it!

Please help me - I don't know the meaning of BPAL?

Phantom is one of my wife's favorites as well. It is still available online - I picked up a large bottle a few months ago for her birthday (so, I hope that she doesn't see this thread for another four months. )

-------------------------------------

mstrocovie - on subject and the reason I looked at this post - I would be honored if you included me in your beta sample group!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th February 2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

A bit of dilute isobutyl quinoline will add increased darkness.

Michael
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am exploring dark rose scents as well and loving it!

Please help me - I don't know the meaning of BPAL?

Phantom is one of my wife's favorites as well. It is still available online - I picked up a large bottle a few months ago for her birthday (so, I hope that she doesn't see this thread for another four months. )

-------------------------------------

mstrocovie - on subject and the reason I looked at this post - I would be honored if you included me in your beta sample group!
    BPAL is short for Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, the name of a niche perfumary in California. They specialize in gothic and esoteric perfume oils.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 27th February 2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    A bit of dilute isobutyl quinoline will add increased darkness.

Michael
    Extremely dilute. Phew!

Wow mstrocovie your fragrances all sound so full of character and interesting! I'm loving the sound of this one

Thank you jillsy, this frag has taken me on a tangent(s) and I now have 3 different ones along the same lines. Purchased some Isobutyl Quinoline and the vial broke during shipping. I opened the box and the room has reaked of it ever since. It smells like it definitely will darken a scent....ordered some more.
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 31st March 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: grammatical error

No problems, just let me know when you go commercial

It sounds good. I'm also working on a rose based frag, although it's more of a soliflore that emphasizes the darker characteristics of a wet rose, without going to the realm of being spicy or decidedly "black." It's funny that you mention carnation absolute as I was sniffing that the other day and immediately thought how well it should work in my frag as well - will have to experiment and see if my intuition has led me astray or not.

So how is this frag coming along now? Any samples available for purchase?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more