Code of Conduct

Thread: Esencia Loewe

Default Esencia Loewe

what about this one...any thoughts..have not checked the boards because im kinda in a rush

Default Re: Esencia Loewe

I had forgotten all about this one and this line. I have wanted to test these but found no means to do so. Can one call the company and request samples? Anyone that has info might want to chime in!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have this one and I like it quite a bit. These are the notes:

Loewe Esencia (1988)
    Head notes: Artemisia, Bergamot oil, Galbanum, Green Note, Juniperberry, Lavender
    Heart notes: Basil oil, Clary Sage oil, Geranium, Jasmin, Neroli, Pine Needle
    Back notes: Amber, Cedar, Fir, Leather, Musk, Oakmoss, Tonka

It's what I would call a classic masculine scent. I'd say a green chypre; no patchouli, but the clary sage is a common swap-out for that in many chypres. The closest well-known scent I can think of at the moment (not a chypre) is Creed Baie de Genièvre. The Esencia is more complex (as you can see from the pyramid), a little deeper on the green side, with some light florals in the heart and lots of rich woods in the base.

You seem to like woody scents, if I recall, so you'd probably enjoy this one. Good luck with it!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Thanks for your input. This makes me want it more! Why did you have to describe it that way?

Dependent

I love this juice! Moderately dense, with a tart, bitter juicy opening and slightly powdery, very mossy drydown. There is a definite dry rose accent in the heart that was not mentioned in Jaime's pyramid. It's clean, musky, and masculine, while remaining rather light. Superb!

I read some time ago, but unfortunately I can not remember where, a ranking of all the male fragrances of all times, and I was surprised to see Esencia by Loewe ranked number one.
    Before that I've never have heard of Esencia whatsoever, but there it was, number one among such classics as Vetiver by Guerlain, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Equipage and the rest.
    I'll give my right hand to get a hold of that ranking again, so if anybody have seen it, please let me know.

Cutting to the chase, It is a great fragrance, I have only sampled it, but as good as it is, is not my number one, but it is without a doubt, among my favorites.

I consider it a woody fougere, and it's a great soapy, classy cool fragrance. Very good stuff and very versatile. Signature scent material.

Dependent

Since the lavender and coumarin (tonka) have such a low profile, I consider it only borderline a fougere.

I agree that it has a slightly soapy touch, just enough to prevent it from becoming too edible. But it's barely there imo. The musk is very longlasting -- but not too heavy (like Halston 1-12's can be).

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    I read some time ago, but unfortunately I can not remember where, a ranking of all the male fragrances of all times, and I was surprised to see Esencia by Loewe ranked number one.
    Before that I've never have heard of Esencia whatsoever, but there it was, number one among such classics as Vetiver by Guerlain, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Equipage and the rest.
    I'll give my right hand to get a hold of that ranking again, so if anybody have seen it, please let me know.

Cutting to the chase, It is a great fragrance, I have only sampled it, but as good as it is, is not my number one, but it is without a doubt, among my favorites.
    Pick up a bottle, it's very reasonably priced! I got a 150ml tester for 60 bucks. However, I do find it's not particularly concentrated -- I usually do 6+ sprays.

I would love to see that list too, obviously I have same taste! Who did the ranking? Was it based on consumers or critics? Etc...

Loewe is an interesting little house; lots of basenoters forget about it, especially those based in the States, because of an almost complete lack of publicity over here (and maybe availability). But I've been pretty impressed with its offerings -- Esencia smells great, especially for its price -- I really think it smells far more expensive and well blended than its price point. Agua de Loewe is a very pleasant Issey-Miyake-type scent that I like better than IM. About the only one I don't care for is Loewe Pour Homme, which has a weird funky smell on my skin (hard to describe very well). I keep meaning to pick up a bottle of Esencia, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others for a try.

Tested it from a spray sample and I LOVE it.

1988? No way. This doesn't smell dated at all.