Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr reviews Outrageous by Malle/Purple Patchouli by T Ford/Jasmin et Cigarette by EL

'As an art form, perfume is closest to movies: it is usually produced as a commercial product, only rarely as art per se. But among those art-house scents, some are gems...'

He gives both Jasmin et Cigarette and Outrageous five stars. Purple Patchouli gets four stars.

More in the article on NY Times 'T' magazine online here.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Burr reviews Outrageous by Malle/Purple Patchouli by T Ford/Jasmin et Cigarette b

Cheers for the link, Mike. I have been eyeing Jasmin et Cigarette for some time now. Burr's review is wonderful and sounds like something I would enjoy a great deal. "This is the smell of an elegant Frenchwoman in a cafe whose grayish-white plume mixes with the chic jasmine fragrance she just sprayed on."
    You are not your perfume.

Default Re: Burr reviews Outrageous by Malle/Purple Patchouli by T Ford/Jasmin et Cigarette b

mike, you know i agree with the outragoues! review....
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Basenotes Institution

Yes, the ladies have had very good things to say about Jasmin et Cigarette on the Female board: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204307 - oddly, that's the one of the three, I haven't smelled.

I do not think Outrageous is worthy of 5 stars, and Purple Pachouli did not make such a strong impression on me as some of the other Tom Ford Private Blends did. Reading Burr's review of PP, now I want to resmell it. However, I do not want to resmell Outrageous - once was enough.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    mike, you know i agree with the outragoues! review....
    Yes Alex, when I read it I instantly smiled and thought of you.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th February 2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My God, 5 stars for Outrageous! ?

If Outrageous! is 5/5, then what rating will Burr hand out to Carnal Flower and Vetiver Extraordinaire? 6/5? The only reasonable explanation I can come with is that Burr must have been quite taken when Sophia Grojsman put her hands on his shoulders ... but as it says in the article that, "..she squeezed with delight" because even she couldnt believe the 5* rating doled out by Burr to something she sharted in her sleep! Burr admits that its a very jarringly synthetic creation but for him to give it 5* just because Malle intended it to be that way is simply Outrageous!.

I can't comment on the other fragrances because I haven't tried them.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    but as it says in the article that, "..she squeezed with delight" because even she couldnt believe the 5* rating doled out by Burr to something she sharted in her sleep!
    Is there an emoticon or text-speak for sharting myself out loud?!

To actually contribute to the thread, acceptfacts' promotion of Outrageous! (does anyone else on the board get the Lionel Richie connection here?) has piqued my interest, and Burr's endorsement is interesting. I may try this one.

sharted. funny.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 27th February 2008 at 03:00 AM.

are these Burr's first 5's?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Is there an emoticon or text-speak for sharting myself out loud?!

To actually contribute to the thread, acceptfacts' promotion of Outrageous! (does anyone else on the board get the Lionel Richie connection here?) has piqued my interest, and Burr's endorsement is interesting. I may try this one.

sharted. funny.

circa.....Outrageous can be called many things but one thing it can not be called is Boring.....in my mind, the reason why Outrageous! has upset so many basenoters is due to two reasons.....

#1 Due to the house that it is created by, Frederic Malle and #2 it's creator Sophia Grojsman.... I really believe that majority of us have specific expectatios for the type of scent that Sophia Grojsman and FM would produce....and trust me, Outrageous! is nothing like that

there isnt a hint of anything natural to it...i dont even think there is much development throughout....in fact it has a huge opening burst of clean playfullness and then it calms down to its core of sensual immaturity(yes, Sensual immaturity).....and guess what...throughout the whole time its 110% synthetic and i love it. It is not a fragrance i would wear every day or even every other day, but when you do.....it will brighten up your day and you wont care whether it happened artificially or not.....just like some fragrances are considered "too mature" for some, this one might be considered "too immature" for others....thus, you would have to have a side to you that shows simply that even if you have a 9-5 job and a family and plenty of real life responsibilities, .....that there is still a kid within you who is ready to jump out and laugh and act a fool for no particular reason.

P.S. I always get compliments while wearing Outrageous and the most interesting one was " you smell like lime dishwashing detergent.....yet its so enticing!"....

yup, smell like a detergent....and loving it.. plus exclamation point!
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

Seems like Burr loves the joke that Outrageous is. I don't get it, but those who shell $150 for this shit because Burr gives his blessing of 5 stars are a bit dim. His last shred of credibility just went up in a puff of stale air.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

What are Malle's fragrances listed under in the directory? I want to read some reviews and can't seem to find them...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who smell turpentine in Outrageous!, I was beginning to think my nose was playing tricks on me.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Seems like Burr loves the joke that Outrageous is. I don't get it, but those who shell $150 for this shit because Burr gives his blessing of 5 stars are a bit dim. His last shred of credibility just went up in a puff of stale air.
    it actually costs 110.....

and i dont think there are many stupid enough to purchase a fragrance based on some critic's reviews.....even if he is very well known in the fragrance community.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 27th February 2008 at 03:36 AM.

hey acceptfacts, althought randomly offtopic, any good places online to chase up outrageous? also, what is fm pricing like generally in the states?
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

circa.....Outrageous can be called many things but one thing it can not be called is Boring.....in my mind, the reason why Outrageous! has upset so many basenoters is due to two reasons.....

#1 Due to the house that it is created by, Frederic Malle and #2 it's creator Sophia Grojsman.... I really believe that majority of us have specific expectatios for the type of scent that Sophia Grojsman and FM would produce....and trust me, Outrageous! is nothing like that

there isnt a hint of anything natural to it...i dont even think there is much development throughout....in fact it has a huge opening burst of clean playfullness and then it calms down to its core of sensual immaturity(yes, Sensual immaturity).....and guess what...throughout the whole time its 110% synthetic and i love it. It is not a fragrance i would wear every day or even every other day, but when you do.....it will brighten up your day and you wont care whether it happened artificially or not.....just like some fragrances are considered "too mature" for some, this one might be considered "too immature" for others....thus, you would have to have a side to you that shows simply that even if you have a 9-5 job and a family and plenty of real life responsibilities, .....that there is still a kid within you who is ready to jump out and laugh and act a fool for no particular reason....
    "...calms down to its core of sensual immaturity... " A very interesting, remark! I love the originality, and believe that you just explained French Lover herewith! Fortunately my country is better protected from impertinent smell invaders in the kitchen sink, dishwasher and bathrooms. We can thus still enjoy limes without bad associations. About '100% synthetic' - I have neither prejudice nor knowledge - but what makes you so certain, acceptfacts ?

Five stars or less doesn't matter that much. I am already relieved when Burr selects a fragrance worth mentioning at all*.
    Last edited by narcus; 27th February 2008 at 04:12 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I found Outrageous pretty boring. Gendarme just destroys it for this category.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

"Outrageous! is not a synthetic version of nature but a free-standing creation that refers to the natural world ironically and revels in its own artifice."

Postmodernism is so 90s.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I`m sorry that Burr take Jasmine et Sigarettes ELDO in his review.
    I just love that scent!!!
    By the way - Burrs talking with Maisondieu is informative for me.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    hey acceptfacts, althought randomly offtopic, any good places online to chase up outrageous? also, what is fm pricing like generally in the states?
    FredericMalle.com........and Barneys.com are the only two places online outside of individuals that would sell FM line that I know off.....

and i bought the 100 ml bottle of Outrageous at Basrneys in manhattan for 110 dollars as opposed to 150 for Musc Ravageur.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    "...calms down to its core of sensual immaturity... " A very interesting, remark! I love the originality, and believe that you just explained French Lover herewith! Fortunately my country is better protected from impertinent smell invaders in the kitchen sink, dishwasher and bathrooms. We can thus still enjoy limes without bad associations. About '100% synthetic' - I have neither prejudice nor knowledge - but what makes you so certain, acceptfacts ?

Five stars or less doesn't matter that much. I am already relieved when Burr selects a fragrance worth mentioning at all.
    honestly....i'm a fan of French Lover as well...but for different reasons though.....

Honestly while sniffing Outrageous, I can not pick up one natural note or even a real hint of such....I think that if Outrageous was produced by CDG, it would be considered a classic......i'm guessing this fragrance just came from the 'wrong house' and it has ruffled up some feathers and expectations.....
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 27th February 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I instantly ordered Jasmin & Cigarette when I read about it...unsniffed. I knew I would like it, and I do. Sadly, I've tired of it a bit and it remains mostly unused in the back of my cabinet. I think it will be pulled out again when the warmer months approach.

I haven't smelled Outrageous, but I'm thoroughly intruiged now. I can't say I love the bottle though...it looks like the took the class from the ordinary Malle bottle and had K-tel brand it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    "Outrageous! is not a synthetic version of nature but a free-standing creation that refers to the natural world ironically and revels in its own artifice."

Postmodernism is so 90s.
    i am the product of the 90's colognes.......thast was my introduction to the fragrances.....so i guess this is why I find outrageous to be delectable.

I haven't read the review by Burr yet - I will. I'm surprised he gave it 5/5, I would probably give it 4/5 myself. But, I think so many basenoters went thumbs down on Outrageous because of the obvious synthetic nature of it. For example: supermarky reviewed said " smells like . . . Woolite!" And he's right, it does - but a little better. If you get past the syntheticness and embrace the postmodern collage of syntheitic freshness in the scent it is quite refreshing and very invirorating. I think Outrageous falls into the same family of fragrance ideas as CdG's synthetics - Soda and Dry Clean. I think it's as good as CdG Soda for cleansing zingyness. I wear it for the same reality shifting aura cleansing effect. In the modern world we sometimes need modern smells and Outrageous works this way. The biggest problem I have with the scent is its name. That's outrageous. It'd be better named to embraces its sythetic freshener /plasticizing and bold kaleidescopic aroma. Embrace the new.

honestly....i'm a fan of French Lover as well...but for different reasons though.....

Honestly while sniffing Outrageous, I can not pick up one natural note or even a real hint of such....I think that if Outrageous was produced by CDG, it would be considered a classic......i'm guessing this fragrance just came from the 'wrong house' and it has ruffled up some feathers and expectations.....
    Please ignore anything I said originally! I erred, thinking Outrageous was the US version of French Lover !! (That would be Bois d'Orage, the job title of FL)

Instead, Outrageous is not even part of the high quality Malle Editions line. It is also not sold in Europe, and I do not know it at all! This might not have happened if Mike's link had produced more than a blank T-page over here. I have obviously no access to T-mag online (happened before). In other words I commented 'blind', sorry! I may have to wait until Burr updates his own website.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th February 2008 at 06:19 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    are these Burr's first 5's?
    No - he's given 5 stars to many scents (Rose Poivree by TDC, Light Blue for Women by D&G, Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, Calyx by Prescriptives, Mitsouko by Guerlain, Sel de Vetiver by TDC, Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae, Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi, Paestum Rose by l'Eau de Italie) to name a few.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Jasmine et Cigaretes is nice, one of the best from the LEO series, but it's not 5 stars. Maybe 4.

Purple Patchouli, as mikeperez23 said, is not the most interesting in the line
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Recently I gave Outrageous! a thorough wearing... several days in the row until my sample was gone. The first time I wore it - perhaps 2 months ago, I wasn't impressed and left the sample in the bottle of my drawer. Then I received some samples from Editions Parfum (French Lover and Noir Epices) and I thought to myself that I should give Outrageous! another chance! And I have come to admit... I like it... perhaps not as much as Noir Epices - but there is something that keeps me wishing to sniff it!

So, I finally decided to buy a bottle from Barney's! Yes... a bit pricey... but I think I'm going to enjoy wearing this one more and more (I also bought some Noir Epices and Musc Ravageure!). Yes... it was a bad day for my wallet... but I'm happy!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

It seems like Acceptfacts, and I have been the only ones giving OUTRAGEOUS! rave reviews. I'm almost done with my second bottle. totally addictive!