Code of Conduct

Default Is there a scent like a leathery, woody, churro?

Looking for something with cinnamon and vanilla, but doesn't end up smelling way too sweet (pi). Don't care for particularly powdery dry downs so hoping for something with more a wood or leather background with the cinnamon vanilla smell instead of powder. Thoughts are: Coduroy, Perry Ellis M, JHL, LeMale, Antidote, Carven Homme? Suggestions, non-niche, I'm not loaded. Thanks everybody.

Default Re: Is there a scent like a leathery, woody, churro?

You want vanilla that's not sweet and cinnamon that's not powdery? That's a tall order. But for the best of vanilla and cinnamon:

Jaipur: EDT over the EDP since it's less powdery
    Egoiste

I'm afraid you'll have to tolerate some sweetness in both of thse but if you can handle LeMale, Carven and Antidote, they shouldn't be a problem. I would probably choose the Egoiste first as it's a little less on the powder factor.

Basenotes Institution

There are many recommendations on my Cinnamon thread - have you read it yet?

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=206242

One that came to mind is Witness by Bogart. Dirt cheap too!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'll second Mike's recommendation of Bogart's Witness. This is very nice and just what you're looking for.

I will second your suggestions of JHL and Antidote - both are excellent.

Let me add:

Acier Aluminum*
    Habit Rouge
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Cuir Mauresque*
    Burberry London for Men
    Eau d'Hermes
    Espionage*
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Aramis Tuscany
    Basala
    Ungaro III

*niche, but worth seeking out.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

thanks mike, that thread was helpful/confusing/overwhelming. I didn't word my thread as well as I would have liked, obviously the smell is sweet if it's cinnamon and vanilla, just really wanted a leathery/rummy kind of a base rather than just smelling powder, which is how I kind of feel about jaipur. Thanks again.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lolitafreak View Post
    thanks mike, that thread was helpful/confusing/overwhelming. I didn't word my thread as well as I would have liked, obviously the smell is sweet if it's cinnamon and vanilla, just really wanted a leathery/rummy kind of a base rather than just smelling powder, which is how I kind of feel about jaipur. Thanks again.
    You're welcome.

'Leather/rummy' you say? Then please try JHL by Aramis. I think it's what you're looking for.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

i say jhl or corduroy

I recently bought John Varvatos -The fragrance (original). Wore it for the first time since using a sampler. I don't find it as sweet as some suggest and the longevity is great on me. Two sprays and I could smell it 12 hours later. It has vanilla but isn't like candy. The spices are rugged. Kind of dirty or earthy I suppose. I get the black leather essence but it's faint and in the background. I believe thats how it's intended to be. I like this better than Michael Kors because I don't care for boozy notes in my frags. I like the suede and tobacco from that fragrance however.

L’Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier is all that you desire for rummy, woody, leathery, not too sweet, etc etc.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Sin by BPAL. It's niche, but only about $20.

I third Antidote. A wonderful sweet cinnamon/nutmeg/floral heart with a vanillic base with a hint of woods and leather. It's exactly what you are looking for. If you look on Ebay you can find mini's of it for cheap. I picked up a 7ml mini (cool little bottle, too) for $10 shipped.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more