Code of Conduct

Default A basenoter's dream? Moving to France! :)

What is your dream as a basenoter? Do you dream to live in Paris and shop along the Champs-Élysées for nice fragrances?

Well... I just found out today... I am being transferred to France for my work starting in January next year! Thank goodness I have time to do the moving correctly! Unfortunately (or maybe... fortunately?!) I'm not moving to Paris... but not so far away that I can't visit often!

So... my first visits... Montale's... Labo's... Hermes... Editions Perfume (Chez Frederic! I think it will be my first voyage!)

Where would you go first?!

(Sorry... not a post that I expect a lot of responses too... but I guess I was just happy to share this news!)
    (p.s. I should clarify... a non-French person's dream - since of course, all our friends in France are already in France! )
    Last edited by Schachman; 28th February 2008 at 01:00 AM.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Default Re: A basenoter's dream? Moving to France! :)

Hey gupts... of course... it comes with a significant pay increase! How else to buy Labo and Malle????

Congrats. You will love it over there. I will give you lots of great places you will have to go, things that would be impossible during a week or two.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Sur la Plage

Congratulations!

I had the pleasure of working in France for 4 years for my job (in the Loire Valley). So I had the opportunity to explore and experience most of France during that time - and a lot of other countries as well.

The people, the culture, the cuisine, the history, the fragrances - It's a great experience that I am sure you will enjoy and always remember.

I highly recommend a trip to Grasse, in southeast France - the perfume capital of the world.

That is great news! I have never been to France, but hopefully one day.
    To get a pay bump as well is awesome. I love it when I see good things happening to good people.

Thanks all!

I usually go to France once a year for work reasons already, but rarely do I get the chance to spend much time in Paris (or many other places besides the city where I stay!) - you know the way... just hurry through airport... get to your destination and... WORK! Well, now that I will live there for at least 4 to 5 years, I think I will have plenty of time!

Barry - I didn't forget! I will bring back some nice things!

Congratulations to you!
    I would love to go one day but I need to learn to speak French first!

Aside from seeking out purchases, the opportunity to learn and get more inside the art of perfumery is something that I would find appealing.
    Thankfully, you got a raise and almost a year to save money. Very cool!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Congrats. You will love it over there. I will give you lots of great places you will have to go, things that would be impossible during a week or two.
    Hi Brielle! Thanks - I was hoping you would see my post! Last September while I was in Paris I only had enough time to see one store - enjoyed it completely! I'll be living in Clermont-Ferrand - a short train ride from Paris!

Any suggestions you have to visit, I will be happy for Brielle! Thanks!

Defintely check out the Serge Lutens/Shiseido boutique - is it at Grand Palais Royale?? The number of great fragrances that SL has not available to the U.S. is definitely a curiosity. Try Cuir Mauresque, Borneo 1834, Bois d' Encens Lavande, Iris Silver Mist, etc. and offer to foreward ship these back to the US basenoters!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Congratulations!
    I highly recommend a trip to Grasse, in southeast France - the perfume capital of the world.
    which month is best to go to Grasse?

In Paris - Frederic Malle and Salon Shiseido would be the first place I would like to visit
    Last edited by DreamerII; 28th February 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Smile Re: A basenoter's dream? Moving to France! :)

I don't know...

My dream might be working together with Polge or Rey Kawakubo or somebody like that. Or maybe even owning one of the fragrance houses.

Why limiting yourself when in your dreams?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Best wishes to you in your new venture, and good luck in the upcoming Chess Olympiad!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Good luck to you and be safe:wave:
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Formidable. You should end up with 200 fragrances, a wine cellar and a 20 kilo weight increase La douce France - enjoy!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Formidable. You should end up with 200 fragrances, a wine cellar and a 20 kilo weight increase La douce France - enjoy!

All very true, the last may be the only one that could be counteracted by Schachman's next million or so pushups!

Congratulations, my friend - you will only be an internet connection away!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    What is your dream as a basenoter? Do you dream to live in Paris and shop along the Champs-Élysées for nice fragrances?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, of course, in a heartbeat.

Others have mentioned some places, and you'll have plenty of time to visit them. L'Artisan has several boutiques around Paris, as do many other fine houses. You'll also find that it is easier to buy good perfume just 'around' at local shops. Your life of ordering online or traveling to Neiman-marcus just to buy Creed is over.

Go to the Lutens shop in the Palais on the day you go to the Louvre the first time. The boutique is very pretty.

You can make a big circle or figure-8 starting near Napoleon's grave and then meandering east and north- you'll hit many of the big ones, like L'Artisan, Malle, MpG, and others. If you map it out correctly, you can finish up near the Seine around dinner time, grab a bite to eat at a cafe, and walk along the river during l'heure bleue.

The day you go to the Centre Pompidou would be a good day to visit Montale and Chanel, located in the Place Vendome, and the Caron boutique, which is a few blocks from that. The Louvre shopping mall and the Jardin des tuileries are good stops along the way.

I have to go to work right now, but maybe later I'll look for my list of addresses. I hit probably 20-25 perfume houses while I was there, and I mapped it all out before I left. Yes, I'm a type-a personality

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Best wishes to you in your new venture, and good luck in the upcoming Chess Olympiad!
    Thanks kbe!

Unfortunately it means that I probably won't be able to play... However - I have good chances to finish high in the qualifier for the next World Championship (I have one more game to win... and I will be there!) - and so if that comes true, it would be difficult to do both anyway (at that level, you need undivided concentration!).

Paris is a strange place.

Everyone is extremely good and friendly along the Champs-Élysées and most other tourist areas. But go into other exclusive shops - like the exclusive centre under the Concorde Lafayette hotel - and you will discover the meaning of the word snobbery (with the notable exception of the Nicolai perfume shop which is also there). I've never seen anything like it anywhere else in the world, and wrote about it in my post "The Nitwits of Sephora" at the time.

Also, it's a good idea to learn French - that way you will be able to vent decent abuse at the numerous hopeless French men you will interact with. I was only there for five days but Iearned that if I needed some thing or some information from people at the fairly expensive hotel I was staying at, I had to ask the women staff who were extremely good. This was in stark contrast to some of the lying, lazy, deliberately misleading male pricks who pretend to be working there.

I discussed my impressions of Paris with people I deal with through work, who have their corporate headquarters in France, and who travel there often. They said my experience was not atypical, and that Paris is really good in comparison with the far worse rudeness one is likely to come across the further outside Paris one goes.

Still, apart from Sephora and a Chanel shop (staffed by older women), my then ladyfriend (now wife) and I were treated very, very well in all the other perfume shops we visited, which were usually staffed by pleasant young women.

The best thing about Paris is that in the entire time we were there, no matter how much or how little we spent, we never had one dud meal - they were all very good and tasty.

Have a pleasant stay and fun sniffing around.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Paris is a strange place.

Also, it's a good idea to learn French - that way you will be able to vent decent abuse at the numerous hopeless French men you will interact with.

Yes, I already speak French - though not fluently, but enough to understand most things! I stay in France usually 2 - 4 weeks each year - though not in Paris. But now I will have the chance to visit more often (via train) - if even just for the day - and get back in the evening to my city. One day shopping trips... it will great!

Thanks for the hints about the shops... I will be exploring them all, and hopefully I won't feel too much snobbery!

Congratulations! What an awesome opportunity.
    You are not your perfume.

We're all more than just a little envious! Congratulations!

I think the next time I'm in Paris, I'll be making a bee line to Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido / where Serge Lutens exclusive line is sold. (I just happened to have put on Borneo 1834 before reading this post).

Next stop would be to visit the more "historic" houses: Guerlain & Caron.
    Then there would be Frederic Malle, Montale, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier & L'Artesan Parfumeur....
    There's also a rather unique (and expensive) "JAR" (which makes "Bolt of Lightning") which, if I'm not mistaken, also makes some very expensive jewelry.

Aren't By Kilian & Divine somewhere in France?

My very first "niche" fragrance was bought in Paris in the mid 90s at an Annick Goutal's store near Musee D'Orsay (Eau D'Hadrien). I was given a sample of their Vetiver and later bought a whole bottle a few years ago at the same store. So I have some good "perfume memories" from Paris.

We're looking forward to some reports!

I'll join the ranks of the envious... but glad to hear that it will come to someone who appreciates it!

in case you hadn't read about it in this past sunday's New York Times Magazine (actually the Women's Fashion Spring 2008 NYT Style Magazine, to be specific), there's a new museum in Paris called... hold onto your hats, folks... the Osmotheque. yes, that's right, a museum of perfumes and fragrances that are no longer available.

it's at 36 rue du Parc-de-Clagny and it is by appointment only. of course, our resident fragrance guru Chandler Burr wrote about it, and it's a great article. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULDN'T DREAM OF GOING TO THIS PLACE?

I'll try to find an online link to the article and post it in the main forum.

Schachman... go there and then ask them to start up a museum store!

Congratulations, Schachman! And....oh my goodness, are you aware you'll be staying in the same town where Parfumerie Générale's headquarters are? You'll have all the private collection scents at your disposal, you'll be sniffing all new releases as soon as they come out and I bet you'll meet the young man himself. I am green with envy! Kidding, of course...I wish you all the best!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 28th February 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

im sure you will be able to discover artisinal houses that dont even ship out of france, probably just for paris only! those will be a real treat. I hope you dig deep as you will now be in the perfume capital of the world. I cant imagine how many surprises you will find underground

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Yes, I already speak French - though not fluently, but enough to understand most things! I stay in France usually 2 - 4 weeks each year - though not in Paris. But now I will have the chance to visit more often (via train) - if even just for the day - and get back in the evening to my city. One day shopping trips... it will great!

Thanks for the hints about the shops... I will be exploring them all, and hopefully I won't feel too much snobbery!
    Shopping along Champs-Élysées is extremely good. They have a very good mix of high end and moderate priced shops situated together - which is very different from what one finds in other towns like in Italy, where the central shops are usually just very high end and pricey.

We were in Paris for four days and thought it absolutely marvellous. It was only on the fifth day that we ran into the snob assault from multiple directions.
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Congrats on your assignment to Paris!

I am intensely jealous. I have spent years of my life either studying or teaching French, and somehow I've never managed to get to France! I have been in other French-speaking places, namely Canada and Tahiti, where there were some people who spoke what seemed to me to be pretty much Parisian French, but many others whose regional French was different from what I learned. I do have some French-speaking students in my ESL classes (which is my current teaching job) and it's a joy to hear them and chat a bit after class. They are largely from Paris or the Midi.

I wish I could afford to go to France now, but the euro seems to gain against the dollar every time I check. Today, it was over $1.50. For two people to go to France and spend a decent amount of time there is more than I think I can afford — especially if you count fragrance shopping!

Well, maybe I'll blow my pension on it after I retire...

All the best to you in la douce France!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Congratulations, Schachman! And....oh my goodness, are you aware you'll be staying in the same town where Parfumerie Générale's headquarters are? You'll have all the private collection scents at your disposal, you'll be sniffing all new releases as soon as they come out and I bet you'll meet the young man himself. I am green with envy! Kidding, of course...I wish you all the best!
    I did not know that! Thanks Lady_in_Black! I know the road their shop is located on (I looked quickly after I read your note!) - it's amazing after walking along those streets many times I never saw it!

I'm looking forward to it now even more (even when I go to Clermont this spring for my normal visit!). I will let him know about Basenotes if he doesn't already!

Great Stuff Schachman !
    ......me too. My friend and I bought a tiny stone hunting lodge, ( we don´t hunt ) in the Massive de Maures between St.Tropez and Frejus. We have been using it for holidays, but now we are taking the plunge and moving there permanantly. Hopefully we can meet up one day if you visit that area !
    Best Wishes.