Code of Conduct

Question Did Basenotes Match You with a New Love?

If you have asked your fellow Basenoters to recommend a new-to-you fragrance based on an upcoming event ("anniversary" / "interview") or a concept ("sophisticated" / "naughty" / "newbie needs help") or a note (best musk, best blackberry), have any of their recommendations hit the nail on the head for you?

So many of these requests seem to get at least a couple dozen answers, often with wildly varying opinions that would seem to send the original poster in a dozen different directions. I'm just curious how often these requests strike gold.

So, have you discovered a new fragrance love based on a recommendation thread?

Default Re: Did Basenotes Match You with a New Love?

Back in 2006 shortly after I joined Basenotes I asked for a recommendation for something similar to Nanadebary Pink. Tovah was the only one who responded and she recommended that I try Organza Indecence and I did.....the rest is history. I can not tell you how much I love this fragrance and it is very hard to find. I hoard the bottle I have and I would actually purchase a back up bottle if I ever come across it. If I never thanked you Tovah for steering me to Indecence.....Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Back in 2006 shortly after I joined Basenotes I asked for a recommendation for something similar to Nanadebary Pink. Tovah was the only one who responded and she recommended that I try Organza Indecence and I did.....the rest is history. I can not tell you how much I love this fragrance and it is very hard to find. I hoard the bottle I have and I would actually purchase a back up bottle if I ever come across it. If I never thanked you Tovah for steering me to Indecence.....Thanks!
    Thanks for sharing tdi. I LOVE Nanadebary Pink and anything remotely resembling it is a must for me. I'll add Organza Indecence to my test list.

To answer tang's question, Paisley and shifts recommended Feminitè du Bois in my first thread re: cedar scents and shifts also added Tam Dao and Tumulte PH. In other threads, shifts' additional recommendations inspired me to test and wear scents primarily marketed at women (Kingdom, Agent Provocateur, and Bandit to name a few.)

Mike Perez sent me sample of Kingdom and I eventually bought a bottle. I bought Feminitè du Bois blind and it's among my top three best blind buys ever.
    Last edited by Sloan; 23rd February 2008 at 11:09 PM.

I started a thread about Hanae Mori, as I couldn't test it anyway and wanted opinions on it, as to whether it was worth a buy. I did in the end buy it blind and LOVED it. However, I got some geat suggestions in the thread. One of these was from Elf to try Hanae Mori Magical Moon. Again, this was a blind buy when I finally put it into the same order as my Hanae Mori Butterfly. I only got the parcel a few days ago and already I've worn Magical Moon twice! I love it, and could not be happier with this gorgeous, mysterious fragrance! The only sad part is that it's just a 30ml bottle that I got.

An exchange with Taolady helped me discover that Eau des Merveilles was everything I had hoped Elixir would be.

Other finds: although not directed to me, CologneJunkie's posts about Gaultier² led me to seek it out. Other discussions have prompted me to try Ambre Narguilé, Poivre Samarcande, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Mûre et Musc Extrême, Tea for Two, 24-Faubourg, and most recently, Falling in Love, from Thrax's blackberry thread on the men's forum. I fell head-over-heels for all of these within the last year. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Tavorna, your thread about Hanae Mori is partly what put this question in my head. I know I compared Hanae Mori to Pink Sugar, and several other posters did not see that connection. This kind of discussion seems to happen a lot when someone asks for a recommendation. Someone will say, "X is exactly what you're looking for," and someone else will say, "X is NOT what you're looking for -- try Z!"
    Sniff and let sniff.

Tinker and I have very similar tastes and I can not even remember how many samples she has sent me that have led to me purchasing or lusting after a full bottle. Co dependancy is a beautiful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Tinker and I have very similar tastes and I can not even remember how many samples she has sent me that have led to me purchasing or lusting after a full bottle. Co dependancy is a beautiful thing!
    Hehehe... I was actually going to post the same thing about you

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Tavorna, your thread about Hanae Mori is partly what put this question in my head. I know I compared Hanae Mori to Pink Sugar, and several other posters did not see that connection. This kind of discussion seems to happen a lot when someone asks for a recommendation. Someone will say, "X is exactly what you're looking for," and someone else will say, "X is NOT what you're looking for -- try Z!"
    Yes, I was very worried about it being the same as Pink Sugar (to my nose also), especially as I had ordered Pink Sugar and Hanae Mori in the same parcel! I agree, Tang, that they are similiar indeed! Hanae Mori seems far more woodsy though, and not as sugary sweet. I can certainly smell the almond which makes the difference in toning down the sweetness and making it quite different. A absolutely agree that it can be so difficult to decide with those conflicting opinions! At one point you think "Ok, this sounds PERFECT" and then someone comes in saying "Oh no, it's the same as this perfume..." so then you change your mind! Confusing stuff. I guess it all comes down to luck and guy instinct if you're ordering something blind on the recommendation of another person!

But on a similar note; I must confess that my Hanae Mori, while not directly infuenced by any one person, was a love I found through the collective basenotes community. I heard others saying how lovers of sweet fragrances would appreciate it, and so on.. Glad I listened in on the advice!

ohhh yes, all 300 of them
    but really thank you guys
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Oh god, MOST of the purchases I've made in the past year have been made as a result of a great review here, a sample someone has kindly sent me, or a question I've asked. Most notably, Schiaparelli Shocking, which was the subject of a trip to Harrods to buy a wedding perfume for a friend of a Basenoter, and as I was making a trip to London myself, I popped in to try it out and fell in love with it. It's still my absolute favourite, and without Basenotes I'd probably never have heard of it. Black Cashmere is another. Sicily is another (though I don't wear it very often). I've also learned more about Mitsouko than any other perfume...and have decided that despite trying it in various formulations and not minding it as a vintage or parfum, it's simply not for me, when I have so many other perfumes to love and live with. This community is amazing with its collective knowledge and generosity. It has been fun sending out samples to people around the world (even though some of them haven't arrived - grr!) and receiving surprise packages occasionally. Sharing an interest like this is so rewarding on so many levels. Learning about how others apply their fumes to make them last all day, learning the little tricks people use with layering...it's all such an eye-opener for someone who spent her life just squirting on pulse points and calling it good. Basenotes is great.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Great question Tang. Basenotes has ruined me

Almost all of the new scents I've tried have been a result of threads here. Plus Madini oils were suggested here for DH (he loves them). The most important intro was to Hermes - I had never sniffed them prior to bn. I didn't own anything "niche" either.

So yes - but not "a" new love - too many new loves!
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Tovah recommended Vanille Noire Du Mexique to me way back and I love it. Would never have been introduced to this, and many other frags, if it wasn't for Basenotes members.

Yes, loads of them, and although I still haven't purchased full bottls. of several "loves", I hope to in the near future.
    I'd never heard of Lutens, Luxes, Madini's, L'Artisan's and many others before basenotes.
    A few of my new found loves like Chergui, Tabac Blond, Fleurs d' Oranger, L'sTBL, Jasmin Full, Shocking, Attrape Coeur, Narcisse Noir, and a boat load of other delights, would not have come to me without this board and it's wonderful posters.
    My sincere thanks to all of you for enabling me in my quest for beautiful, unique and amazing scents!

Last edited by spicegirl; 28th February 2008 at 12:01 AM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    ohhh yes, all 300 of them
    but really thank you guys
    Ditto! (Well, not quite 300 but almost all I've got.)

Many as a result of samples sent by BNers - many bottles sent by BNers. Chaya recommended Vetyver Haiti - ComDiva turned me onto Neil Morris - Purple Bird turned me on to Madini - Quarry, Mach Med. Then Riannon sent sample of Guet Apens - and LIB Mona DiOrio Oiro. Wolfie got me going on Sonia Rykiel....Musse to Montaigne.....KBE to Montana Parfum Pour Homme - Sloan_8013 to Red #3 - TVLampboy to vintage Je Reviens....and others I can't remember.

Where will it all end!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Well,there's a LOT of them! My wardrobe has quite drastically expanded after joining BN. From the top of my head: Mitsouko,L'heure bleue,Jicky,Chergui,Feminite du bois,Lolita Lempicka L,Fracas and Le baiser du dragon,Nahema and Aromatics Elexir...Most of my wardrobe in i\other words!

On my wishlist: Vol de nuit,Chanel's cuir de russie,SL Sa majeste la rose,Iris Silver Mist and Bois des iles.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 28th February 2008 at 11:33 AM.