Code of Conduct

Default L'artisan impressions

I called up a L'artisan boutique across the state and the SA was very nice, sent me a bunch of samples, hand wrote notes of each and a nice personal note too. Great customer relations if you ask me. I wore the fragrances and wrote down impressions of them(really i was just looking for an excuse to write with my fountain pen).

Voleur de Roses:
    This smells so much like one of those smelly markers I had as a kid. I wanted to like this so much, but it smells like a damn marker. I do have to say that the drydown is very nice, I'm not sure if I would wear it though. On my skin there was too much rose and not enough of the cool earhy tones.
    Take two on this one was a little more succesful. It still reminded me of the black marker, but the second time I got a lot more earthy tones, still not enough though. It's a little too rosy for me.

Fou d'Absinthe:
    Strong alchohol in the beginning as it should be. The pepper was there in quite a strong presence as well. It cools off very nicely into a light anise. Does not seem to have very powerful sillage though. It would be a crime not to call all these fragrances sophisticated because they are. This one seems to be flirting with the "cool" kid on the block line while still retaining it's integrity. Great combination in my opinion. The drydown, oh my good ness! I keep picking up the pen off the paper just to smell it again.

Mure et Musk Extreme:
    This is the EDP version of Mure et Musk. I am very smell associative - if that is a word. This smells almost exaclty like my ex's whatever she use to wear, but late in the evening after we were both quite knackered; I'm sure you catch my drift - although this is much richer, musc indeed . In any case, it smells wonderful(oh the memories) but too feminine(in my mind). Maybe the EDT version would be more fitting. Ladies, if you want a sensual fragrance though, this one melts my insides - in a good way.

Safran Troublant:
    What a great vanilla scent. Safran was something I've smelled before, but did not know what it was. A really warm fragrance with some nice notes of nutmeg and rose. This isn't what I am looking for though. I am also concerned with wearability, but it's just feminine enough. This, I am coming back to eventually.

Dzonkha:
    Land of the thunder dragon quite right! This is powerful and different. It's a great combination of leather and flower. Then, when you walk outside and see the rolling mountains and smell the "smoke" of slight incense and fresh air. Iris is such a wonderful flower. This is definitely one of my top picks. Absolutely wonderful. Wow, I cannot stop smelling it.

Tea for Two:
    The name of this fragrance describes it perfectly. I can visualize a beautiful garden and what smells that brings and drinking tea, the smoky kind. This is such a sweet fragrance. The obvious notes of the smoked tea are delicious. Cinnamon is pretty prominant, as well as Bergemot. This is only acceptable for day wear though. The sillage is moderate in comparison. If I ever went to a tea party I'd wear this, great for day parties and such. Oh so sweet.

L'eau d'Ambre:
    One of the most inviting, warmest fragrances I have ever smelled. The amber is so deep. On top of that there are some powder notes. If mother Teresa wore something this would be it. I do mean that in the best of ways. This is a unisex fragrance for sure and I would wear it . Smells like a place you would want to come back to, and I certainly will later on.

Poivre Piquant:
    One thing I noticed about the quality of fragrance from L'artisan is that no matter what it is, it is always so pleasingly complicated and deep. This is no different. Initialy there is the white pepper that soon settles down into the honey milk and at the end of the night, liquorice. this is so decliciou that I am wearing it for the second day in a row. The sillage is just right. This beats d'Ambre in the sweet category because it offers more flavors to me.So sweet and complicated; I fear that my L'artisan collection will be quite large eventually. They have so much to offer.

L'eau De L'Artisan:
    I love vetiver! From the name, this is the flagship fragrance it seems and for all the right reasons. It has all the class and sophistication to back up the position it holds. The vetiver with slight hints of lime and later on, a bit of basil. Oh it's wonderful! It smells good from the application to the dry down. I think this is the equivalent of Chanel's Pour Monsieur, but for L'Artisan. Highly recomended by me and I will defintely buy a bottle of this.

Patchouli Patch:
    I found that I'm not as big a fan of patchouli as I am of vetiver, but like I said before, I don't think there is a bad fragrance in all of these. This one has a funny story with it though. I applied some to my wrists and wore it to work. I work as a line cook, so fragrances don't stay on too long with everything around. I was holding something in my hand for my headchef to try and he was smelling the food item in my hand and said, "Are you wearing patchouli? Oh god." And walked away. Later I found out that his ex wife wore patchouli exclusively. I told him i was just trying samples and it's not a daily thing and he's pretty cool with everything anyway. Again, a great patchouli for freshness if you like patchouli.

Passage d'Enfer:
    Why must there be so many good ones?! Incense, myrrh and later on geranium is what this breaks down to. This is a great scent that, just like its description states, take you to cloud nine. Very serene, very peaceful, but yet so delictible. There's just nothing left to write. Another great fragrance for everyday, sophisticated, complicated, etc. etc. I'll just have to buy a bottle of this as well. Ugh. Just to say, the drydown is absolutely divine; I'm wearing it again today and oh my.

L'Artisan is a wonderful house that's getting popular for all the right reasons. The SAs at the boutique were very nice and personable. They will definitely have my buisness(repeatedly I'm sure). So these are my impressions. I think I have a couple more to wear actually, but if I don't post this on my day off today, it won't be written for another week or two. So I thought I should share this now.

P.S.
    You can expect review of Robert Piguet in a week or two. They only sent me 5 samples so it will be much shorter. Hope everyone enjoyed this.
    Last edited by Mr. Golem; 28th February 2008 at 06:25 AM.

Default Re: L'artisan impressions

Excellent reviews. L'artisan was the first niche brand that I was enamored by when everyone else was stuck on Creed.

You have to try Bois Farine! It's one of the house's more unique scents IMO.

I'll echo teflondog: excellent reviews. You've more great experiences ahead of you with L'Artisan. Be sure to continue reviewing.

Great great stuff.

One other plus is I'm delighted to see another lover of Eau d'Ambre. I think that stuff is magic. I've got Ambre Extreme as well, but EdA makes such a wonderful aura around me, and lasts with sillage twelve-plus hours, that I think the edt is better than the edp.

Keep using that fountain pen and sampling scents!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks, I think your experience with smells as a cook shines through these excellent reviews. It's time I had a more systemtatic look at L'Artisan. Btw. Navegar is my favorite of what I have tried.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Nice reviews indeed.
    I recently tried Dzongka and have been positively impressed too, also because it's one of the most projecting scents from l'Artisan (which usually have low projection).
    Blending nicely some of my fav notes (peony, magnolia, leather, green notes, smoky notes) It's definitely on my list

Nice reviews. L'artisan really is an interesting contrast to the staid conservative nature of the Creed house, and I always enjoy seeing someone experience their stuff for the first time. It is pretty challenging at times. They rarely play it safe, and each of their scents has some beautiful, funky moments. Even their most accessible fragrances will not be loved by everyone. There was a time here when Voleur de Roses was the fragrance de jour and I swear it came up in every thread. I find it a beautiful, complex, evocative, and totally unwearable fragrance - the patchouli and plum just don't sit well with me.
    Please find a way to try Dzing!. If there is a fragrance that typifies L'artisan it is Dzing!. Again, wonderful, challenging, imperfect, and utterly compelling. It is the anti-GIT. Also sample Thé Pour un Été when you get a chance. It is lovely in every way, and if I was a woman I would bathe in it in spring. As it is I wear if at times and get compliments despite the jasmine. The nuttiness of Méchant Loup doesn't work on me, but is a favorite of others. And smelling Bois Farine was one of those moments when I really began to appreciate the how creative fragrances can be.
    And yes, their customer service is a joy. I called back after almost a year and spoke with the same woman who had supplied me samples and a bottle. Her first words were, "Hey good to hear from you, how are you enjoying the Tea for Two?"
    I gotta try their amber stuff. I'm on an amber kick lately.
    Enjoy exploring.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

The only problem with your assessment is the issue of longevity. I've got a half bottle of L'Eau de L'Artisan that I got for $10, and it has next to no lasting power on me - the worst of all my L'Artisans - which is a shame as it does smell pretty good.

Tea for Two lasts longer on me, but still too short for my hard earned money. Many of the rest have half reasonable longevity, and the extreme versions are usually the best bet.
    Renato

Mr. Golem: Thanks for taking the time to review your L' Artisan samples. I am a big fan of the house and always enjoy reading others opinions. I really enjoy both Voleur de Roses and Patchouli Patch and get complimented when wearing either. The The pour un Ete is also wonderful in hot weather. Tried Dzing and Dzonka when last in New York and will probably make a purchase of one or the other (both maybe?) when I empty a few other bottles. Look forward to your Piguet reviews. Am interested in the recent re-release of Cravache in particular. Thanks again.
    Last edited by fraddicted; 28th February 2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo

I definitely disagree with SlimPickin's analysis that L'Artisan is a very challenging house to experience - its nowhere as weird or whacky as CdG for example. Unlike Creed, Lutens, Guerlain or Montale L'Artisan lacks a certain definite signature, with its catalog split into two or even three different eras. There's no common thread of an ambergris base, the guerlinade accord, or that arabian spice market feel running through the line.The early works like Mure et Musc, Vanilia, Navagateur and others were arguably their best and most groundbreaking but nearly all of them exist in better forms in the MPG line (they were composed by Laporte, founder of the L'Artisan line who then moved on to MPG). There was a period after that in which L'Artisan was in somewhat of a lull...the new president then tried to resuscitate the line by launching the travel series which were fairly inspired launches based on smells of east africa/asia etc. However now we see L'Artisan back in a comparatively more conformist period with launches like Anannas Fizz, Narcissus, Mandarine, Jatamansi, d'Oranger, etc. and diverging into areas like home humidifiers! Why ? The house is fast expanding across the world after being acquired by San francisco-based investors and they need to grab a bigger market share ! With that said, you will have fun investigate the offerings from this house and thanks for the reviews! ( although I still think its about time they started pumping out EDP's instead of EDTs).
    Last edited by zztopp; 28th February 2008 at 04:28 PM.
    -

If only you got to smell Dzing! and Mechant Loup and Ambre Extreme. Those are among the top of the group.

I am sorry that you didn't get the earthy notes out of VdR. It is a favorite of mine. I get the crisp, Spring morning feeling with a mound of dirt on it. Just beautiful.

You should also write back about how they increased their prices!! Grrrrr

Basenotes Institution

Great reviews - welcome to world of L'Artisan.

My first L'Artisan purchase was Voleur de Roses, my latest purchase was Dzing and my next will be Bois Farine.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Wonderful reviews! Thank you.

I love several LAPS, especially Fou d'Absinthe, Ananas Fizz, and Timbuktu.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

L'Artisan is my favorite house. I have been fortunate enought to acquire Mechant Loup, Bois Farine, Dzing!, Tea for Two, Timbuktu, and have samples of all the others thank to my good friend Lisa at Beauty Cafe.

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite because each sets its own mood for me. I only know that when I wear them, I really enjoy my little corner of the world. Have fun exploring!

L'Artisan Parfumeur 30 years later

Thumbs up Re: L'artisan impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Golem View Post
    ...Dzonkha:
    Land of the thunder dragon quite right! This is powerful and different. It's a great combination of leather and flower. Then, when you walk outside and see the rolling mountains and smell the "smoke" of slight incense and fresh air. Iris is such a wonderful flower. This is definitely one of my top picks. Absolutely wonderful. Wow, I cannot stop smelling it.

...Poivre Piquant:
    One thing I noticed about the quality of fragrance from L'artisan is that no matter what it is, it is always so pleasingly complicated and deep. This is no different. Initialy there is the white pepper that soon settles down into the honey milk and at the end of the night, liquorice. this is so decliciou that I am wearing it for the second day in a row. The sillage is just right. This beats d'Ambre in the sweet category because it offers more flavors to me.So sweet and complicated;...
    You should also get your hands on Piment Brulant, Mechant Loup, and Timbuktu.
    Bertrand Duchaufour is an underrated genius as far as I'm concerned. He is my favorite nose and one of the reasons why L'Artisan is my favorite house.

Thanks for taking the time to write these wonderful reviews. I enjoyed reading them.

Cheers to your beautifully and uniquely fragranced future with L'Artisan!!
    -Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My first L'Artisan purchase was Voleur de Roses, my latest purchase was Dzing and my next will be Bois Farine.
    My first was Tea for Two.

But the best IMO from the whole line - Voleur de Rose

Timbuktu is also very very good. Maybe a bit too sharp in the top notes
    Last edited by DreamerII; 29th February 2008 at 05:30 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thumbs up Re: L'artisan impressions

I'm new to L'Artisan. I've tried Tea For Two & Mure et Musc Extreme. So far so good.

I just went back and read Turin's review of Dzing!, and thought I would paste it in here for all.

"When the history of perfume is written, the small firm of L'Artisan Parfumeur will get a whole chapter. In its early days, under the guidance of Jean-Francois Laporte, it came up with some of the great perfumery ideas of the past twenty years: the first to associate vanilla and the candyfloss note of ethylmaltol in Vanilia, the first to use coffee in L'Eau du Navigateur, more recently the first to come up with a convincing fig-leaf fragrance, Premier Figuier.

Dzing! is as original as any of these, and withal a fragrance of superlative oddness. For the first twenty minutes, it simply smells of cardboard. For those prosaic souls who would question a pressing need to smell of cardboard, a few words of explanation. One of the most surprising things about smell is the fact that complex combinations often give simple results, if simplicity is defined by our ability to name things unambiguously. Conversely, despite its workaday origins, cardboard is actually a rich, warm, woody smell with a spicy angle. Much in the way that a great painter like Giorgio Morandi can transfigure for our benefit the homeliest of objects, a great perfumer can reveal to us beauty where it is often most safely hidden: right under our noses.

Dzing! A must-have."

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

For me, there have been only two L'artisan scents I like a lot... (full bottle worthy!)
    I really like Tea for Two... enjoy it a lot on weekend

I often wear Passage d'Enfer as my incense of choice. I prefer the little spiciness compared to say Avignon and Kyoto (CdG).

I haven't tried Dzonkha - but after this review, I think I must try it!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    For me, there have been only two L'artisan scents I like a lot... (full bottle worthy!)
    I really like Tea for Two... enjoy it a lot on weekend

I often wear Passage d'Enfer as my incense of choice. I prefer the little spiciness compared to say Avignon and Kyoto (CdG).

I haven't tried Dzonkha - but after this review, I think I must try it!
    I'm glad my reviews are turning people onto trying/retrying some of the great fragrances here.

By the way, I do have samples of Timbuktu, Mechant Loup and Piment Brulant. I just haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Golem View Post
    I'm glad my reviews are turning people onto trying/retrying some of the great fragrances here.

By the way, I do have samples of Timbuktu...
    Post your thoughts on Timbuktu. I found that I liked Timbuktu better than Dzonghka, while simultaneously finding them a LOT alike. Interested to see if you do also. I cannot wear either, but I admire their aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Post your thoughts on Timbuktu. I found that I liked Timbuktu better than Dzonghka, while simultaneously finding them a LOT alike. Interested to see if you do also. I cannot wear either, but I admire their aesthetic.
    Curious that I found exactly the opposite on my skin lol.
    Timbuktu turns out to be a pale and generic powdery and rather sweet smell with a faint smoky (but not incense like) base.
    Dzongka turns out to shine gloriusly in all its phases on my skin ending out with a deep yet uplifting wet green base with incense peaks and magnolia hints.
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 3rd March 2008 at 12:57 PM.

I don't think there's a L'Artisan frag I hate. All there frags are very classy and pleasant. But none I have deemed worth buying a bottle. Timbuktu, Dzonka, and Fou D'Absinthe are the closest to "Buy-worthy".
    Also, I think the house needs it's own note. Fou D'Absinthe, while refined and classy, smells far too much like my wood/evergreen/citrus essential oil+SD alcohol 39c home mixes, especially too similar to warrant the price. Still a good and very classy line.