Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Angel Men Pure Coffee four stars

'...Built under the creative direction of Thierry Mugler and Pierre Aulas by perfumers Christine Nagel and Jacques Huclier, what we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is…a cup of coffee. Une tasse de café. At first you frown, hesitate. Are you missing something? Is this a joke? You smell it and think reflexively about getting to work. It’s coffee. (Nagel and Huclier used, among other materials, a natural coffee absolute.) Give it a few seconds, and its ingeniousness starts unfolding from your skin...'

Read more here: http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...hierry-mugler/
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Burr gives Angel Men Pure Coffee four stars

So is it A*Men with a coffee note? It sure sounds like it from Burr's description.
    -

Wow, what an intriguing description - thanks for posting. A must try!
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

It sounds better than I thought it was going to. To me, it sounds more like a new scent than a coffee-infused a*men...which to someone like me who isn't crazy about a*men, is a good thing.

Burr uses a lot of adjectives, but yeah, sounds interesting, this Coffeed A*Men.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Thanks for the link, Mike. This sounds just wonderful.

Zz, to me it doesn't seem so much like just A*Men with coffee, but a deeper darker chocolate as well; the appropriate flavour to match the dark roasted (burnt) bean.

Count me in.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 29th February 2008 at 01:03 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Sounds DISGUSTING.

Thrax

Sounds AMAZING.

It sounds like it smells nice. It's just not something I'd actually imagine wanting to smell like, personally.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Brilliantly, lightly, perfectly burnt coffee.

That's why I want to try it

I thought A*Men was alREADY all about coffee... Perhaps it's A*Men without the complication of the OTHER notes. It's interesting... I've said it before but I find it interesting that most people talk about A*Men as a chocolate based fragrance, and I've not found a pyramid with chocolate as a note... Though OzMoz lists COFFEE as a basenote. Perhaps that plus tonka gives this impression. I don't ever smell chocolate it in. I love the coffee sensation of AMen so I'm excited to experience that note perhaps brought out of the bottom of the pyramid and used as the focus.
    Last edited by nthny; 29th February 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Burnt coffee is what he meant to say.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

" - what we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is…a cup of coffee. Une tasse de café... Pure Coffee starts with coffee and then grows."

At last somebody comes along to really explain coffee to me - in French even!
    Please explain tomatoes next - in Italian !!!
    Last edited by narcus; 29th February 2008 at 09:36 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree that I'm excited to smell this also.

The original A*Men I wore a lot (my aunt used to buy me a bottle every Xmas) and while I enjoyed it's heavy handed-ness, I mostly loved it's coffee and tar note. Fast forward to Basenotes, I pretty much let dust collect on my bottle and never wore it while I explored many other fragrances. One, Cafe Noir by Ava Luxe, I liked even better than A*Men for it's use of a literal espresso coffee note. But Cafe Noir is extremely linear. I'm hoping AMPC is what I'm looking for...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th February 2008 at 03:20 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Count me in as one who will want to smell it but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't rather drink my coffee than wear it???

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I must agree that I'm excited to smell this also.

The original A*Men I wore a lot (my aunt used to buy me a bottle every Xmas) and while I enjoyed it's heavy handed-ness, I mostly loved it's coffee and tar note. Fast forward to Basenotes, I pretty much let dust collect on my bottle and never wore it while I explored many other fragrances. One, Cafe Noir by Ava Luxe, I liked even better than A*Men for it's use of literal espresso coffee not. But Cafe Noir is extremely linear. I'm hoping AMPC is what I'm looking for...

I have to agree about Cafe Noir, I like the espresso coffee effect but there is no progression. What you smell is what you get. I too am hoping this will scratch that coffee itch that I have had for so long.

Is this going to be a worldwide release?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    Is this going to be a worldwide release?
    It is available in Europe now and should be available in the US very soon (April I think?) - but remember this is being marketed as a Limited Edition release.

-- Jack Kerouac

If it is excellent, why 4 stars?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It is available in Europe now and should be available in the US very soon (April I think?) - but remember this is being marketed as a Limited Edition release.
    Is this another case of Europe = France or should it be in UK stores already?

i hope its not amen the sequel...i hated Amen since the first time i wore it, it made me sick, but this sounds damn good,imo.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    Is this another case of Europe = France or should it be in UK stores already?
    I don't know.

Smelling like coffee, burnt, sweet or otherwise does not appeal to me at all for some reason.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

This sounds absolutely awesome!!!!
    Awesomeguy

I myself am a coffee connoisseur – love that lush black liquid. But BURNT Coffee is gross – just the smell over coffee left too long in a pot that dark and bitter strong just turns me off.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    " - what we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is…a cup of coffee. Une tasse de café... Pure Coffee starts with coffee and then grows."

At last somebody comes along to really explain coffee to me - in French even!
    Please explain tomatoes next - in Italian !!!
    As if we needed more evidence that Burr is an affected blowhard.

If you have nothing to say, say it in french so you sound smart and sophisticated. :brolly:

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Smelling like coffee, burnt, sweet or otherwise does not appeal to me at all for some reason.

TNMA
    I agree. There´s too much of that Starbucks Stink around. I personally find Muglers perfumes on about the same level as starbucks.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I myself am a coffee connoisseur – love that lush black liquid. But BURNT Coffee is gross – just the smell over coffee left too long in a pot that dark and bitter strong just turns me off.
    If I may interpret the accord (or Burr's description of it) even though I have not smelled AMPC yet...I think what Burr was describing was more a burnt coffee bean accord, rather than a burnt coffee (the liquid) note. Maybe I'm wrong.

A burnt coffee bean note (heavily roasted, say) sounds enticing to me.

I don´t get why everyone is getting so excited about this ? It´s been done before so many times.There are some really noble ones like Yohji Homme. Parfums Mavive, Venizia has a perfume called Black Coffee.
    Is it just because it´s been given four stars ? .............surely not because it´s Mugler ?

i will agree that i am not a major mugler fan...i like mugler cologne but event hat gets boring. However, this pure coffee thing does sound rather interesting since it has other notes like patchouli...but i will say i dont want to smell like i have been sitting in a coffee house all day because that reminds me of studying for tests in college and law school...bad memories.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I don´t get why everyone is getting so excited about this ? It´s been done before so many times.There are some really noble ones like Yohji Homme. Parfums Mavive, Venizia has a perfume called Black Coffee.
    Is it just because it´s been given four stars ? .............surely not because it´s Mugler ?
    Why are we excited? Well, I thought that's what Basenotes was for - a forum for fragrance enthusiasts like us to come and share in the excitement over things like new releases.

What notes have NOT been already done many times before? Just because coffee notes are already in many fragrances this does not mean that AMPC can't do it differently. Would you reply to a new rose prominent scent thread, 'it's been done before so many times'??

Why must excited and interested Basenoters comments be analyzed and reduced to scrutiny? Can't we just be excited because we're excited? Jeez....

Why must excited and interested Basenoters comments be analyzed and reduced to scrutiny? Can't we just be excited because we're excited? Jeez....[/QUOTE]

Of course you can, and I always enjoy reading what you have to say Mike. But on the other hand if you are passionate about something, you are usually also very critical. I merely expressed my views. I nearly got slaughtered on basenotes once for saying something negative about Patou pour Homme. I see things from a different perspective and think that negative critisism is just as important in this forum.
    I feel that people are over sensitive here when it comes to negative critisism.
    There is already more than enough hype within the perfume industry itself.

Until anybody has actually put the stuff on themselves we're all blowing hot air anyway but it's part of the fun.

I'd love to find a frag that smells like Hazelnut coffee...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

The Hudson Bay Company in Toronto is apparently stocking this product this week. Testers are already in the downtown stores. The bad weather has hampered me from testing it. I hope to be able to try this soon.

I tried it at Nordstrom yesterday. I don't like the original and the overlay of a sweet, gourmand coffee note doesn't make me any happier.
    And, please, the brown rubber bottle couldn't be less appealing. Brown rubber, it looks like something from an Army Surplus store, what were they thinking????????????????
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th May 2008 at 12:38 PM.