Code of Conduct

Question Alternatives to Armani Code

Hey guys! Here's a question for you. I am trying to find some good alternative frags to Armani Code. I love the smell of Code, but I'm looking for something similar with a little more oomph (not a technical term), longevity, and sillage. Also would like something less commonplace, since Code seems to be EVERYWHERE.

I searched the forums and came up with only Burberry Brit and London. But I don't know how similar they really are to Code or which one is closer.

Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Alternatives to Armani Code

I dont know if its less popular, but John Varvatos is very similar.

Jaipur Homme
    Pi EDP
    Antidote

All have a fair dose of vanilla with a hint of woods and more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Creed Himalaya.

Blog Entries

For what it's worth as a Code user I don't see the connection with Burberry Brit. Brit is far more feminine on my skin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I dont know if its less popular, but John Varvatos is very similar.
    I got more of a smooth sweetness out of JV and a spicy peppery-ness from Code on myself. I hate to say it, but out of all the stuff I've tried, Code is pretty unique.

IMO VArvatos is similar but better. Same goes for Bulgari Black and Even Perry Ellis 360 Black

Thanks for the answers so far. I may try Jaipur. I just got a bottle of Opium EDP, which I love, but it's way too heavy for normal use.

Has anyone here tried Jacomo Paradox Green (not to be confused with Blue)? I was searching fragrance notes and noticed that the Green Paradox and Code have a lot of notes in common, though Paradox seems to have more going on.

Armani Code / Black Code Fragrance Notes:

Top Notes
    * Bergamot, Lemon,

Middle Notes
    * Olive Flower,

Base Notes
    * Guiac Wood, Tonka Bean

Paradox for Men Green Fragrance Notes:

Top Notes
    * Violet Leaves, Black Currant Leaves, Lemon, Bergamot

Middle Notes
    * Rosewood, Cardamom, Red Berry, Nutmeg, Sichuan Pepper

Base Notes
    * Tonka Beans, Musks, Cedarwood, Guiacwood, Oakmoss

I haven't tried John Varvatos but I don't think any of the fragrances mentioned so far smell similar to Armani Code. I dont get that distinctive medicinal citrusy- opening followed by the olive leaf note on a base of smooth tonka bean from any of them.
    -

Off-Scenter

I second the Jaipur suggestion, provided that you can get your hands on the EdP. I wore Code way back (when it was still "Black Code"), but I decided that I had no need of it with Jaipur in my collection.

With Jaipur is there a huge difference between EDP and EDT? It was my understanding that EDT was "spicier" and the EDP was heavier and sweeter. Is that true?

Also thinking of at least trying out that Paradox Green. It seems that it is not very well circulated, at least around here.

I'm another in the John Varvatos camp. I own Code already, so I didn't buy the JV. When it's gone, we'll see.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    With Jaipur is there a huge difference between EDP and EDT? It was my understanding that EDT was "spicier" and the EDP was heavier and sweeter. Is that true?

Also thinking of at least trying out that Paradox Green. It seems that it is not very well circulated, at least around here.
    In a word, "yes."

The EdP is deeper, more rounded, and more complex. It seems at once to have more substance and to be better blended than the EdT.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I haven't tried John Varvatos but I don't think any of the fragrances mentioned so far smell similar to Armani Code. I dont get that distinctive medicinal citrusy- opening followed by the olive leaf note on a base of smooth tonka bean from any of them.
    I've tried and I would add it to your non-similar list

hmm.. burberry brit has nothing to do with code.. PI is the most similar one, smells almost the same, but a bit sweater...

Off-Scenter

A clarification: Jaipur Homme does not smell just like Code, but it is a similar sort of scent and makes a fine wardrobe substitute - particularly if you find Code a bit too bland and short-lived.

Pi also resembles both Code and Jaipur in its basic content and structure, but it's much sweeter (and to me less refined) than either.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 29th February 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Cool Re: Alternatives to Armani Code

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    A clarification: Jaipur Homme does not smell just like Code, but it is a similar sort of scent and makes a fine wardrobe substitute - particularly if you find Code a bit too bland and short-lived.

Pi also resembles both Code and Jaipur in its basic content and structure, but it's much sweeter (and to me less refined) than either.
    Right, of course. I'm not looking for a Code clone. Rather something that has a similar quality of fragrance as Code but perhaps with more complexity. Also something a little harder to put a name to. So smelling exactly like Code would sort of defeat the purpose. Also, my bro discovered Code before I did, and we attend a lot of the same events, so need just a bit of differentiation in scent identity there.

I rather like the modern statement Code makes, so I'm rather wonder if Jaipur is quite modern enough for the purpose, which is semi-casual to semi-formal. For black tie occasions Opium EDP is my frag right now.

I have a bottle of Opium Eau d' Orient coming so I'll see if that's what I'm looking for before I go buying something new. By all accounts it's a lighter more modern version of the EDP/EDT. If that doesn't do the trick I might go for Jaipur or Paradox next.

Edit RE: Paradox

I am really curious about this frag, so if anyone here knows anything about it, please speak up. The only thing I find offputting is the idea of spraying my face with a substance that looks a lot like Scope mouthwash.
    Last edited by Galleddrim; 29th February 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added comment about Paradox Green

I don't find any of those mentioned being similar to Armani Code. JV and Jaipur edp are very nice, but I don't think they will work as replacements either. However, if you are looking for something with its own character, the above mentioned (J. Varavatos and Jaipur) are excellent choices. I'd even check out Dior Homme as well.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 29th February 2008 at 08:24 PM.
    You are not your perfume.

Now sitting in the darkness and sniffing my wrist with Code that has been sprayed in the morning, I say that the very drydown of Code, after several hours is a bit (not so tiny bit) like Jour de Fete from L'Artisan. I wonder if anybody else would see this.

Sample Antidote if you can. It's got a citrus opening (not medicinal, more smooth with a tiny hint of spice), a somewhat spicey, floral heart, and a base a bit like code but less sweet and unidimensional.

As you said, you don't want a direct replacement for Code, and none of the above mentioned are, but this has a similar evolution while having a distinct character of its own.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    ...I rather like the modern statement Code makes, so I'm rather wonder if Jaipur is quite modern enough for the purpose, which is semi-casual to semi-formal. For black tie occasions Opium EDP is my frag right now...
    Good thought there. Jaipur has a very cultured, sophisticated air about it that might make it more of a "dressy" scent for some. For an accessible and versatile spicy-woody orental, I'd suggest giving Bulgari's Blv Notte a sniff.

Just took the chance and ordered a bottle of Jacomo Paradox Green. Strange thing was that I couldn't find a description of it on the official Jacomo website for some reason. That frag seems to be something of a mystery, as no one here seems to know anything about it either. I'll see how it is and report back.

Meanwhile, has anyone here tried the Opium Eau d' Orient? I am hoping that one works well for me. I hate buying blind, but there is no place I know of that carries this stuff.

varvatos is great, but i dont see the connection