Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Five O'Clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

Anyone smell this yet?

The Perfume Shoppe has it in stock: http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idproduct=709 - in addition, I saw a bottle go for about + $250 in Ebay yesterday. What's weird is that it is NOT showing up on the Serge Lutens website??

I'm interested in smelling it, that's for sure.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Five O'Clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

I'm sniffing it right this minute, Mike! ;-)

Basenotes Institution

That's just evil Lee.

Imagine ginger (the candied version natch, but oh we are talking high class) with Bois Oriental. That's kind of it.

These are the notes: bergamot, ginger, spicy and honeyed notes

If you are well versed with Lutens, you can pretty much guess what it smells like.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Anyone smell this yet?

The Perfume Shoppe has it in stock: http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idproduct=709 - in addition, I saw a bottle go for about + $250 in Ebay yesterday. What's weird is that it is NOT showing up on the Serge Lutens website??

I'm interested in smelling it, that's for sure.
    I didn't think they put any of the exports on his website?

Bois Oriental + Ginger...hmmm.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo View Post
    Imagine ginger (the candied version natch, but oh we are talking high class) with Bois Oriental. That's kind of it.
    Thanks Lee. I've never smelled BdO, but thanks for the comparison anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I didn't think they put any of the exports on his website?
    You're right. They don't. They only list the Exclusives because officially the Exports have nothing to do with Shiseido and the website is that of the Salons du Palais Royal-Shiseido.

So Leopoldo...do you like it?!

The Perfume Shoppe has it in stock: http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/scri...?idproduct=709 - in addition, I saw a bottle go for about + $250 in Ebay yesterday.
    Holy smokes, the shop is a 30 minute drive from my place....maybe I should go buy a bunch of bottles and Ebay them off.....

Thank goodness for my Encens et Lavende! I mean, it is pure goodness with the lavender, clary sage, and inscense. Yes, that means no honeyed notes or sikly sweet notes. I can't believe they honeyed up another one. Geez. Ok, now I am curious to smell it like the rest of you all!

The ebay ad pretended it wasn't available in the U.S. - they neglected to mention that it would he available shortly...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I can't believe the name of this...does anyone know the background on it? For me, the name is terrible and doesn't seem "smart" in terms of marketing because its somewhat distorting.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I agree, the name is unbelievably kitschy for a Lutens.

I love most of Lutens' works, but can't say I'm too excited about this one... Another honey & spice fest?

Just spritzed some on. The first impression is that it's more woody than sweet.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Just spritzed some on. The first impression is that it's more woody than sweet.
    Ohh, this makes me interested, mooore!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Thank goodness for my Encens et Lavende! I mean, it is pure goodness with the lavender, clary sage, and inscense. Yes, that means no honeyed notes or sikly sweet notes. I can't believe they honeyed up another one. Geez. Ok, now I am curious to smell it like the rest of you all!
    Yes, Encens et Lavande is great. Strait up lavender and incense, not smoky incense - clear, calming incense; which I love.

Hopefully the next non-export release isn't a spicey-sweet one.

Basenotes Institution

I am not a fan of syrupy fragrances myself, but I love spice and I welcome them in Serge releases and many others.

Banned

I am not a fan of syrupy fragrances myself, but I love spice and I welcome them in Serge releases and many others.
    I also welcome them. But SL creations such as Gris Clair, Borneo, Tubereuse Criminelle, and Iris Silver Mist take my desire.

Will post my thoughts on 5oCaG once my split arrives

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Ohh, this makes me interested, mooore!
    There are no floral notes in it and if one wanted to label it either masculine or feminine, it would be masculine. The ginger is most prominent in the top notes, teamed wit bergamot. There's vetiver, which was very prominent the day after (more so on the crooks of elbow than on the wrists), and just a hint of chocolate, dark and bittersweet.

I don't find it syrupy at all.

Oooh. That sounds lovely!

Anyone smell this yet?
    No less than TWO of my SLs came from The Perfume Shoppe (which means they must have crossed the atlantic twice.) I've tried Bois Oriental - ya know those free wax samples that SL at the Palais Royale in Paris sends out - and liked it a lot! I'm almost tempted to order Five O'Clock au Gingembre blind...

There are no floral notes in it and if one wanted to label it either masculine or feminine, it would be masculine. The ginger is most prominent in the top notes, teamed wit bergamot. There's vetiver, which was very prominent the day after (more so on the crooks of elbow than on the wrists), and just a hint of chocolate, dark and bittersweet.

I don't find it syrupy at all.
    Well, thanks for the review Tigs I think a sample is in order, I just hope it is just like that on me, sounds really really nice

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I can't believe the name of this...does anyone know the background on it? For me, the name is terrible and doesn't seem "smart" in terms of marketing because its somewhat distorting.

TNMA
    In an interview I read, Lutens explained that a" Five O'Clock" in France means "tea time" so the idea is ginger tea. More than that he was also talking about French anglophiles and how this fragrance is supposed to be about the love of all things British among rich French people.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 2nd March 2008 at 02:17 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    In an interview I read, Lutens explained that a" Five O'Clock" in France means "tea time" so the idea is ginger tea. More than that he was also talking about French anglophiles and how this fragrance is supposed to be about the love of all things British among rich French people.
    I was in the Serge Lutens Palais Royale store yesterday to buy a bottle of MKK and I tried F o'C au G. The SA told me it is named after an Arabic cake, sort of like a gingerbread. I found it to be slightly redolent of tobacco, even though there isn't a tobacco note in it, over vetiver and ginger. Some spice, but not heavy in the usual SL style and not sweet either. I liked it, as it seemed like something new and wasn't a rehash of Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Arabie. But, it did not last very long on me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd March 2008 at 10:50 PM.

That seller put up another bottle at $170 on ebay! Just remember folks, in a short while you can get it for $110 in the US and Canada, it's *not* an exclusive!

Lucky you in paris! Never heard of that cake, but "F o'C au G" sounds like an insult!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I was in the Serge Lutens Palais Royale store yesterday to buy a bottle of MKK and I tried F o'C au G. The SA told me it is named after an Arabic cake, sort of like a gingerbread. I found it to be a slightly redolent of tobacco, even though there isn't a tobacco note, over vetiver and ginger. Some spice, but not heavy in the usual SL style and not sweet either. I liked it, as it seemed liked something new and wasn't a rehash of Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Arabie. But, it did not last very long on me.
    Aye Carumba, that sounds a bit un-Lutens like! No syrup attack? Only 6-7 hour longevity? It may actually turn out to be a real study on ginger!

Is it like an attenuated Rahat Lakhoum with a sprinkling ginger and a vetiver base?
    -

There are many Lutens which aren't candy spice fests, so it wouldn't totally be out of character!

But it's funny, if you read Lutens' own description of 5 oclock, it sounds like a candy fest. http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...lutens_pa.html
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I was in the Serge Lutens Palais Royale store yesterday to buy a bottle of MKK and I tried F o'C au G. The SA told me it is named after an Arabic cake, sort of like a gingerbread. I found it to be slightly redolent of tobacco, even though there isn't a tobacco note in it, over vetiver and ginger. Some spice, but not heavy in the usual SL style and not sweet either. I liked it, as it seemed like something new and wasn't a rehash of Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Arabie. But, it did not last very long on me.
    I found it a bit smoky, too. It is indeed a "quiet one" compared to many other SL scents.

If I had to compare 5oCaG to an existing SL scent, Vétiver Oriental would be the one that comes closest.

Basenotes Institution

It is indeed a "quiet one" compared to many other SL scents.
    I think that Rousse is also 'quiet' too - one of the reasons why I like it so much. I've got a decant of it coming to me from another Basenoter and I'm really interested in giving Rousse some full wearings in the spring heat.
    --------------------------------------
    Both Lee at Perfume Posse and Marie Helene at The Scented Salamander blogs, weigh in with reviews of Five O'Clock here and here.

Can you tell that I'm excited to try this?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th March 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So, would you guys consider wearing Five o'clock in the day/summer? I'm looking for a lighter Lutens and am considering TC.

smelled it yesterday and reminded me Guerlain l'Instant pour homme extreme without the bitterness and in more fizzing way (the ginger i guess)
    the staying power seems quite short for an EdP

so then this is in the export range?

yes?
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post

yes?
    Oh yes. Should be on shelves here is US stores (like Lucky Scent, etc.) soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post

yes?
    Being in Canada you should order it from perfumeshoppe.com - it's in Vancouver and shipping is free for Lutens.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    smelled it yesterday and reminded me Guerlain l'Instant pour homme extreme without the bitterness and in more fizzing way (the ginger i guess)
    the staying power seems quite short for an EdP
    It looks like most of the recent SL releases have longevity issues. I hope this isn't the start of a worrying trend...

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    So, would you guys consider wearing Five o'clock in the day/summer? I'm looking for a lighter Lutens and am considering TC.
    Certainly, it's quite wearable in the day/summer. I bought it in Switzerland yesterday, and I really am fond of it. I discovered a similarity to Jubilation XXV. For me the drydown of Five o'clock is like the opening of Jubilation, while the drydown of Jubilation develops more dry incense. Somehow it has a well balanced modern touch with fresh notes and incense, attended by a cosy sweetness (honey) and rests about 7 to 8 hours on me. This new Lutens is worth a trial.

Last edited by pluran; 18th August 2011 at 04:55 PM.

As long as I can remember, I've disliked good ole Serge because its was just too much to take in at one time. I don't know what happened to me, but now I'm more accepting. I have a decant of R. Loukhoum and it works for me. Gonna retry the Rousse and Louve combo that also worked well. Am I maturing?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Being in Canada you should order it from perfumeshoppe.com - it's in Vancouver and shipping is free for Lutens.
    Ohh I'm already ahead of you on that one
    Thanks for the advise

and thanks mikeperez for the answer as well.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Blog Entries

I got a sample of FOCAG from The Perfume Shoppe. My first reaction is that it's kind of like Rousse, only with ginger instead of cinnamon. It's definitely fresher and lighter than your typical Lutens. I would say it's one of a very few non-floral Lutens that's suited to spring/fall rather than winter.

I very much like Rousse (and also find it quite fresh) so I'll see if I can get to a shop and try this tomorrow. Just hope it's in stock in London!

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I got a sample of FOCAG from The Perfume Shoppe. My first reaction is that it's kind of like Rousse, only with ginger instead of cinnamon. It's definitely fresher and lighter than your typical Lutens. I would say it's one of a very few non-floral Lutens that's suited to spring/fall rather than winter.
    Does it last, or project at all?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Does it last, or project at all?
    Seriously, I wouldn't bank on it - it's almost as if Serge Lutens has suddenly become concerned about not offending anyone. Possibly trying to broaden its appeal in the US market?
    Last edited by Trebor; 14th March 2008 at 10:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I just heard that Barney's has this in stock now. Can anyone who lives near a Barney's confirm this?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I just heard that Barney's has this in stock now. Can anyone who lives near a Barney's confirm this?
    Just came from Barney's with Five O'Clock Au Gingembre on the back of my right hand. Still trying to decide if I'll get it. Another hour or so should tell. So far, I think I like it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Just came from Barney's with Five O'Clock Au Gingembre on the back of my right hand. Still trying to decide if I'll get it. Another hour or so should tell. So far, I think I like it.
    Thanks Jaime - I was hoping you'd see my post...you're the Barney's liaison here at Basenotes.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks Jaime - I was hoping you'd see my post...you're the Barney's liaison here at Basenotes.
    I had no idea it was official... or that I was so notorious!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

So, Jaime, what's the verdict on Five O'Clock? Or should I rephrase that as, what are your impressions?

Oh, BTW, you are the Chanel liaison, too. I am awaiting your update of the Sycomore thread. I am afraid to go into the store, the air in there makes my wallet float out of my pocket.
    Last edited by zatarain; 20th March 2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I tried it at Barney's yestday in SF, I could hardly smell it after an hour or so. Extremely light ... unfortunately nothing special!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Basenotes Institution

I found it a bit smoky, too. It is indeed a "quiet one" compared to many other SL scents.

If I had to compare 5oCaG to an existing SL scent, Vétiver Oriental would be the one that comes closest.
    So, I was at a shop in Miami Beach for lunch today that carries Serge Lutens scents. They did not even know about the new 5OCG, so I went over and skin tested Vetiver Oriental for the first time, since I remember tigrushka mentioning it above. VO reminds me of French Lover by Malle a lot! Nice, but I'm hoping 5OCG is a little more spicier.

I'm hearing a lot of comments about the low longevity - which I am willing to look past if I really like a scent. But honestly, it has me worried.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    So, Jaime, what's the verdict on Five O'Clock? Or should I rephrase that as, what are your impressions?

Oh, BTW, you are the Chanel liaison, too. I am awaiting your update of the Sycomore thread. I am afraid to go into the store, the air in there makes my wallet float out of my pocket.
    Venis is still saying "before the end of the month" and "I'll call you just as soon as it comes in."

Also, I'm afraid I have to agree with Bront82 that Five O'Colock au Gingembre doesn't seem to have legs. On me it lasted about three hours before becoming very faint; but then, I only spritzed once. It's nice while it lasts. Maybe a more forceful application would improve that, though.

I know what you mean about the floating wallet syndrome at Chanel!

--------------------------------------
    Yes, it is quite a bit spicier than Vétiver Oriental. More like Rousse, as someone already observed. I don' think the two are very close, though. This one lacks the honey note in the base that is so prominent in most Serge Lutens scents. I do like the composition and the spiciness, even the light hand, but I worry about how much of this expensive juice it's going to take to keep one smelling good all day.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 20th March 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

OK, so I gave FOCAG a second full wearing this week. I must say I'm disappointed in it.

I find it incredibly similar to Rousse, except they've replaced the Red Hot candy cinnamon blast at the top with gingerbread cookie accords. But the middle and base notes are SO alike.

I have been nursing a small decant of Rousse for about a month now, and after about the 5th wearing there was some note that just annoys me. It's not honey, but something similar to honey. It reminds me of a smell I've smelled in women's moisturizers. That same note is even more prominent in FOCAG. So...needless to say, I'm not getting this one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I think it's because of the weather, this one performs best when it's a bit colder, that keeps the sweetness at bay.

I like it, but not at the moment.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I bought it on a whim, very boring....orange, cinnamon, tea. wish it was fresher, with a stronger ginger accord.

I've given my sample one wearing. I was hoping it might be something like Bois Oriental but found that not to be so. I couldn't quite "get it" - whatever it was in the scent to give it the "SL" status - at least on that first wearing. (I'm always relieved when I don't sense yet another tug on my pocketbook.) I'll be giving that sample its fair share of wearings ...

Not a happy investment for me. As someone said, it is a quiet one. Not what I had come to expect from a Serge Lutens fragrance. While the scent itself is pleasing to me, spraying 6 times and barely being able to detect it once I get to work is not what I wanted.

It's 5:00, where's my gingerbread!?

I have been wearing this for the past two days and its probably the most balanced rendering of the lapsoung tea note in current frags. Finally Sheldrake has achieved the near perfect balance of a key note (tea), a fresh top note, a bit of cocoa and a well tempered yet recognizable base of candied honey, vanilla and other typical lutens base fare. No heavy handedness, no note imbalance, no Moroccan syrup madness, all of the heavy notes playing off each other like a well oiled soccer machine.

I find 5Oclock to be far more palatable than Lartisans Tea for Two, where the tea note is too smoky and the other notes quite watery lending a strange heavy yet thin feel to the composition.
    -

I have no idea why I want to try this(maybe it's the name or because I like the color green). I didn't like Gucci Envy for Men, would I be wasting my time?