Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Best Scent in the Hugo Boss Line?

i used to dismiss this brand thinkin it way to commercial..or smells like a deodrant or so on...just last week i sampled dark blue...it kind achanges my view on this brand and now im thinkin if i;d miss on something here...energise? hugo limited edition? etal...
    the bets part about boss scents are they cud be worn on a daily basis...one doesnt have to think too much...

P.S. do not include the baldessarini, Number one and Number 6 in the above poll...im looking nfor daily wear...
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd March 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: The Best Scent in the Hugo Boss Line?

Considering everything you said, my choice would be Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995.), although pretty synthetic and not very original. I like the apple note in this one. Good sillage, great longevity.
    Last couple of years HugoBoss launched just too many scents... with, in general, a very little originality.
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 2nd March 2008 at 12:50 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

I'm a big fan of Dark Blue

I'm not very keen on any of them TBH, but if I *had* to wear one it would be 'Boss Bottled' followed by 'Selection.'

XY is actually not too bad - I tried it a couple times from a small sample.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Baldessarini IS the only Boss worth consideration, however based on your criteria, I'd say Boss Soul, or Boss Bottled.

Boss Elements:this is what I describe as the pefect all-rounder.Dull (some may say) but worthy.
    Boss Sport:sadly discontinued and almost nobody knows about it (which is a pity...).
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    Considering everything you said, my choice would be Hugo by Hugo Boss (1995.), although pretty synthetic and not very original. I like the apple note in this one. Good sillage, great longevity.
    Last couple of years HugoBoss launched just too many scents... with, in general, a very little originality.
    me second.
    This is one of my first scents.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Hugo XY is an ok clean scent. It's the only scent I've really thorougly sampled of theirs.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 15th July 2008 at 03:04 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Unhappy Re: The Best Scent in the Hugo Boss Line?

Boss Spirit was the best for me.. Shame this got discontinued

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Boss No#1 the original - which now the company has discontinued!

Last edited by scentimus; 2nd March 2008 at 02:15 PM.

I really dig Boss Soul... classy and manly

I'd say Hugo too.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I've had #1, Bottled and Hugo, but won't re-buy any of them. I'm prejudiced against a company that churns them out (and discontinue them) like so many chocolate bars. The juice is unimaginative and it's all about mass marketing. But back to your question: probably Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Baldessarini IS the only Boss worth consideration, however based on your criteria, I'd say Boss Soul, or Boss Bottled.
    hey dimitri, balsdessarini holds a special place in my heart, i wore the same for my engagement and wedding. however..cant use it daily..

Boss in Motion, the original verison

Boss Bottled. I love its sillage in the air, so masculine.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I recently revisited this line and re-tried Baldessarini, Dark Blue, in Motion, Hugo, Aqua and Soul. Not a single one grabbed me, not even Baldessarini which was irritating because of its cloying, tangy candy-like sweetness. Nearly all the Boss scents seems to be made on a stingy budget, and when I try to envisage them with better ingredients, the inherent accords still dont impress much. At this time, there's not a single Boss scent I would want to have in my collection.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Boss No#1 the original - which now the company has discontinued!

ANOTHER HEAVYWEIGHT RETIRED ..... I best get a back up bottle soon ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

dark blue... holds some great memories for me, my first proper cologne... mmm!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Number One.....make it so!!!

What do you mean discontinued?!?!? Time to stock up!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i used to dismiss this brand thinkin it way to commercial..or smells like a deodrant or so on...
    And you were TOTALLY RIGHT!!!
    Probably they hit the ground with energize: difficult to imagine a worse stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I recently revisited this line and re-tried Baldessarini, Dark Blue, in Motion, Hugo, Aqua and Soul. Not a single one grabbed me, not even Baldessarini which was irritating because of its cloying, tangy candy-like sweetness. Nearly all the Boss scents seems to be made on a stingy budget, and when I try to envisage them with better ingredients, the inherent accords still dont impress much. At this time, there's not a single Boss scent I would want to have in my collection.
    well i would agree to an extent tht baldessarini is cloying...(tangy? nope)..but, it smells classy on a suit..smell rich and mature....its oriental wihtout being too loud...it comes from a much decent family of the opium's and KL homme's kinds...
    i think ill have to sample all to verify this myself...to each own...i know tht i wont like energize and hugo (since i did sample them once)..
    but want to try dark blue & soul again along with the boss in motion series...

PS. i did have number one earlier (one of my first scents...) and my cousin has no. 6. So, im familiar with these...
    Last edited by jenson; 4th March 2008 at 02:11 PM.

This is one of the designer brands that does not have a single vindicating fragrance. At least for me.
    Last edited by irish; 4th March 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Boss Selection...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    This is the one of the designer brands that does not have a single vindicating fragrance. At least for me.
    Agreed. What's the best beer by Budweiser/USA?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

XY would be my choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Boss Elements:this is what I describe as the pefect all-rounder.
    100% in agreement.

Boss Elements is the best all round scent and most consistent compliment getter I own.
    It suffers from not being particularly compelling when tested on paper or in a wrist test. It's a totally different experience when worn - great lasting power and sillage.

Boss Elements Aqua is an ambery fougere scent that is nothing like the fresh fougere Boss Elements. I don't like it much, but we've had lots of discussion about them over the years. People seem to either really like the former or the latter, but rarely both.

The sweet, appley ambery fougere Boss 6 is another favourite of mine.

Dark Blue is the only example of a mossy ambery fougere scent that I've ever come across.

Renato

im gonna say soul

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    100% in agreement.

Boss Elements is the best all round scent and most consistent compliment getter I own.
    It suffers from not being particularly compelling when tested on paper or in a wrist test. It's a totally different experience when worn - great lasting power and sillage.

Boss Elements Aqua is an ambery fougere scent that is nothing like the fresh fougere Boss Elements. I don't like it much, but we've had lots of discussion about them over the years. People seem to either really like the former or the latter, but rarely both.

The sweet, appley ambery fougere Boss 6 is another favourite of mine.

Dark Blue is the only example of a mossy ambery fougere scent that I've ever come across.

Renato

dark blue is what caught my attention after XY reintroduced me to the hugo line..thrs somthing goin on thr.....but ya..i cant stand Hugo and energize...there are better deo's out there...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    im gonna say soul
    dimitri too did suggest soul, need to try tht as well with elements...
    --------------------------------------
    guys, thanks very much for bearing with me. i know, many of you might hate me for bringin hugo boss in between all the creed's and SL and L'artisan topics in here....experienced people like yourself can give better advise as you all have it and know the strengths and weaknesses of a perfume...whch in turn can help shortlist the best scent...testign on a paper tells only so much...
    Last edited by jenson; 4th March 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yeah...try soul for sure man...its a winner in my book because imo it smells like nothing else out there and i went through my bottle so quickly because i couldnt get enough of it!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Agreed. What's the best beer by Budweiser/USA?
    Not to be defensive, but that Budweiser comment is just a sign of ignorance! If you are judging American beer by Budweiser, don't speak! Come enjoy some microbreweries... Great Lakes is my fave.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i know, many of you might hate me for bringin hugo boss in between all the creed's and SL and L'artisan topics in here.......
    Actually, it's kind of refreshing to discuss generally available good scents that typical people wear.

I know that when I post on particular niche scents, it's often as a result of a feeling that I have to - given the considerable effort I went to in order to track down their obscure abodes and marvel at their exclusive prices.
    Renato

Though I've worn and liked Elements, I agree with several of my esteemed colleagues that Boss No. 1 is the class of the bunch!

the original is/was great - a bit dated !!
    Invisible Power

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    Though I've worn and liked Elements, I agree with several of my esteemed colleagues that Boss No. 1 is the class of the bunch!
    I liked it a lot too. But unlike every other Boss scent I've tried, it didn't have much lasting power on me.
    Renato

The only frag thats not a cheap smelling crappetycrapcrap hugo smell is hugo dark blue.. its the only one thats got game.. but sad it get me sick and dissy, so cant wear it anymore... Thank god for john varvatos

guys! got a chance to sample Soul! its just great!!!! sampled elements too....was ok on paper but it didnt strike me the way soul did (need to try elements on skin though)....soul indeed is something spooky, mysterious & oriental it has amazing depth...somehow the packaging and the bottle doesnt really represent the scent all that well...
    Last edited by jenson; 10th March 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    the original is/was great - a bit dated !!
    GREAT ONES ARE TIMELESS !!
    .. they never date ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

the original....stock it while you can Laurent...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    GREAT ONES ARE TIMELESS !!
    .. they never date ..
    Quoted for truth!
    I have found memories of Hugo from frosh year at Uni. My little brother wears Hugo now and I've graduated Uni after a couple semesters too many lol.

Boss bottled, its a best-seller for a good reason
    Last edited by Critic; 10th March 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

OG Elements.

boss number 1 the original is the best scent in the hugo boss line.

Just on the tests I have had I like Hugo and Soul.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Boss Selection...
    Selection is very good, as is Hugo Dark Blue (love the lime in it). But then again, I might be crazy, since I think the absolute best is still Hugo, the only one I own. You'll get a lot of disagreement on this, as I'm sure you know by now.

Let me be the first to suggest Boss Pure. It's light and green and watery - the water is clear, but it has little flecks of green drifting up. I can smell it, but the people I'm talking to are barely noticing it (I think).
    Last edited by aeromatic; 14th July 2008 at 10:39 PM.

Boss No. 1

I love Hugo and always will, the sillage and longevity are both really good and it fishes a lot of compliments, and I enjoy the overall smell. I also second the new Hugo Pure, it's actually quite good, give it a try. And from the reviews on Basenotes in the directory, it seems Boss Bottled is very popular on here.

Boss Bottled is wonderful... that vanillic and fruity notes are unique.

I never owned a Hugo Boss fragrance...but XY is really good, but for that price I get a nicer one.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    Let me be the first to suggest Boss Pure. It's light and green and watery - the water is clear, but it has little flecks of green drifting up. I can smell it, but the people I'm talking to are barely noticing it (I think).
    I tried Boss Pure at Macy's when they started carrying it. I didn't notice much of use in it after the grapefruit top note came off. If you like the grapefruit note in it, try Z Zegna Extreme. It's a lot more powerful and long-lasting. I've gotten lots of complements on it.

I've liked a few of the Boss line but wouldn't wear any today as they are a bit generic and all my friends have been wearing them for 15 years.
    I would make an exception for Elements though, absolutely my favourite they've ever made. Difficult to find but when you do, it's usually cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I tried Boss Pure at Macy's when they started carrying it. I didn't notice much of use in it after the grapefruit top note came off. If you like the grapefruit note in it, try Z Zegna Extreme. It's a lot more powerful and long-lasting. I've gotten lots of complements on it.
    I think the point of Boss Pure is to not be strong, so you don't have to worry about offending people, yet you can enjoy it yourself, and if somebody smells it they probably won't even know it's a cologne they are smelling.

Boss Bottled

well my overall favourite which is in my all time top 5 is hugo. that stuff smells amazing to me and has gotten me the most compliemnts out of any fragrance i own. i also love boss bottled yet am not a fan of boss selection as it gives me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    I really dig Boss Soul... classy and manly
    ditto
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Boss number 1 was and is the best to me

Put me down for Elements... although Number One and Baldessarini are quite nice, too

hmm, overall not a huge fan of the boss line i gotta say but i own boss bottled and like it, its one of the good ones.
    boss in motion is interesting, too, used to wear it from a samply but after some time it gave me such a headache, pity!!!
    but the rest? not knocking me off!!