Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Luca Turin "Duftnote" - NZZ Folio column 2008

Starting today I will try and post links to the latest issues of Luca Turin's articles in Neue Zürcher Zeitung / Folio magazine / Column Duftnote (fragrance note) on this forum. There are normally twelve artcles per year, and the series has been running since 2003. Time permitting, I plan to post annual surveys of links later on. I have been publishing older links on the main forum before. Most of them can be found in this thread

Biography Dr. Luca Turin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Turin..

Duftnote March 3, 2008

Do-it-yourself-Parfum

Who would have thought that? Turin on natural perfumery and www.profumo.it !
    congrats BN member 'profumo', aka Dominique Dubrana

Luca Turin in NZZ Folio – February 6, 2008

Cinq Bis

Molineux' No. 5, the other number five ..

Luca Turin in NZZ Folio – January 7, 2008

Nombre Noir

"…He collects vintage perfumes on eBay-not with the sporadic excitement of the beginner
    or the jaded lust of the rich expert, not because they are rare, not because of the bottles, but
    because the genie they imprison has the power to make the air he breathes more beautiful......"

reserved for survey

Last edited by narcus; 3rd March 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Luca Turin "Duftnote" - NZZ Folio column 2008

A very exciting online bespoke perfume service from Profumo and Luca gives it a thumbs up as well! Congrats to Dominique and AbdusSalaam Attar!
    Last edited by zztopp; 3rd March 2008 at 09:14 AM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

NZZ Folio Duftnote - previous 'Fragrance Notes'

January-07 Perfume's Perfumes strange, powerful synthetics & top-flight naturals.

February-07 Chanel Six A Modern Great Manner

March-07 The One (CK) Frozen time - stay young forever! Calvin Klein1

April-07 Due Credit On Guerlain reformulations (3)

May-07 Reviewer Heaven Guerlain, Chanel 5- the different versions

June-07 Not even wrong I finally saw 'Perfume' yesterday

July-07 Clean The trend to smell clean

August-07 Orange Free State État Libre d'Orange

September-07 Calone a wispering chemical 'like a a rumor'

October-07 Eminences Grises Effect materials

November-07 Dreamjob Perfumer

December-07 Amouage Green Mountain rose & where half the world’s ambergris lands

( I intended to simply transfer my data table in Excel format but it didn't work, sorry! / narcus )
    Last edited by narcus; 6th May 2008 at 07:10 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Oh, Dominique, that`s just GREAT!!!
    Congratulations!

And thanks to Narcus for the informative thread
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Duftnote April 7, 2008

Bath Salts

Bath salts are a peculiar thing: they dissolve in a cloud of tiny bubbles, make the bath water cloudy,
    colored and fragrant, and produce no foam. They also tend to leave a bit of grit at the bottom of the tub

as a reminder that there is no such thing as a perfectly comfortable moment, barring the use of certain opiates.

Post Thanks / Like

As always, thanks Narcus.
    How I wish Turin would drop his chemistry and concentrate on writing full time.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Hilarious - and touching too. I will never look at bath salts the same way again. Thanks Narcus, as always.

there is no such thing as a perfectly comfortable moment, barring the use of certain opiates.
    Interesting, I see that he has a sophisticated understanding of opiates.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

Duftnote April 7, 2008

Bath Salts

Bath salts are a peculiar thing: they dissolve in a cloud of tiny bubbles, make the bath water cloudy,
    colored and fragrant, and produce no foam. They also tend to leave a bit of grit at the bottom of the tub

as a reminder that there is no such thing as a perfectly comfortable moment, barring the use of certain opiates.

Ay! that makes me now want to go soak in my newly aquired bath salts from Basin in Downtown Disney. It also reminds me to go by and see my friend at the local bookstore tonight after bowling. I believe I shall be purchasing Mr. Turin's book this evening... :-)
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Post Thanks / Like

Duftnote May 5, 2008

Cut and Paste

"Some years ago, when internet translation tools first appeared, I used to play a little game by taking a piece of text and having Babelfish translate it back and forth from, say, French to English twenty or thirty times. I was interested to see whether it would converge to a stable text, slowly drift like chinese whispers or explode into experimental literature...."

This is the fifth year of Scent Notes / Duftnote, Turin's first column, was published in Folio, the monthly magazine of Neue Zürcher Zeitung, in August 2003, and for years to come there were no English text versions available. Its title: Blue Stratos. Although I still do not know what this one smells like (it never made it to our shops) I was immediately caught by this Italian who could enumerate my first loves, as if they were automobiles. Little did I know then about Luca Turin, and little about myself. Had somebody told me that one day I would be in mourning about the death of a perfume (Caron's), I would have simply laughed out loud! But the day has come.

More Duftnoten (up to 2007) can be found in this thread
    or directly on the nzz.ch website.

Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - as always narcus.

I feel like running out to the local drugstore here in the US, buying some Blue Stratos, and shipping it off to you in Switzerland! I had no idea it was the topic of Turin's first post (although I did know it was a fav of his).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th May 2008 at 03:14 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 7th May 2008 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks - as always narcus.

I feel like running out to the local drugstore here in the US, buying some Blue Stratos, and shipping it off to you in Switzerland! I had no idea it was the topic of Turin's first post (although I did know it was a fav of his).
    How sweet of you, Mike! I guess I could somehow have gotten it, had I really wanted to, at least after discovering Basenotes in 2004! But some myths are greater than the reality, and I prefer to keep on dreaming.
    I am curious if Dr. Weber of NZZ - Luca likes to call him a friend outside Folio - will arrange something special for Luca and this fifth anniversary. I would love to meet Turins translator for the German version. He sometimes even polishes text while translating it. For some of my friends I hope there will be a German translation of the Guide too.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th May 2008 at 07:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Narcus!

Sweetheart!

I've been on BN for a whole year and a half and only JUST discovered this delightful thread and your generosity in posting it for us. I don't always agree with Dr. Turin but I absolutely ADORE his writing and he is so laugh-out-loud-funny! ( "I consider made-to-measure perfumes as silly as having a novel written specially for you, and find most all-natural perfumes invertebrate."...."He grows into an adolescent so gifted he replicates a complex perfume in thirty seconds merely by picking out its ingredients in stoppered bottles and mixing them in the right proportions. Surprisingly, he then asks the owner of the bottles to train him as a perfumer, like the Archangel Gabriel applying for fencing lessons.")

Many MANY thanks!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

That's been a real heart warmer, thank you very much, Tao-Lady !
    I plan to make more of the older articles available by a few clicks only.
    So many things in Perfume:The Guide are rooted in these Scent Notes / Duftoten,
    and often they are dealt with in more detail there. Creating a link between perfumes
    reviewed and those sixty articles is what I shall be working on next. I want this for
    myself, and once it's finished, I hope that a few others may find that useful, too.
    NZZ has no objections, and I hope our new community member, Luca Turin
    will tell me if he objects to what I am doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Duftnote June 2, 2008

Skin Physics

Why your body chemistry means nothing, and more... !
    Additional answers to popular questions in radio interviews .

This is the fifth year of Scent Notes / Duftnote

More essays (up to 2007) can be found in this thread

Last edited by narcus; 2nd June 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks narcus.

When I listened to Turin/Sanchez on those morning radio shows, I somehow sensed his frustration at the questions about skin chemistry. He would sometimes pause and sigh a bit right after the question was asked...perhaps thinking, 'How the HELL do I answer this question properly in a short 1 minute reply', which is basically all that a radio station allows. Turin so masterfully explains intricate scientific facts, yet in reality (atleast here in the US) most people could care less about the science and want to know more about the other more, mindless stuff. Kind of sad, when you think about it.

Which is primarily why Basenotes is such a wonderful resource for me.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Narcus, you're a hero for putting this up every month.
    Merci.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks narcus.

When I listened to Turin/Sanchez on those morning radio shows, I somehow sensed his frustration at the questions about skin chemistry. He would sometimes pause and sigh a bit right after the question was asked...
    I only saw one of those, and I felt a little sorry for him - he looked quite tired then. Only Tania was as bright and cheerful as the interviewer. And she gave most of the answers, too. It was interesting to revive some of these moments with his thoughts fed in now.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd June 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I listened to Turin/Sanchez on those morning radio shows, I somehow sensed his frustration at the questions about skin chemistry. He would sometimes pause and sigh a bit right after the question was asked...perhaps thinking, 'How the HELL do I answer this question properly in a short 1 minute reply', ...
    It's very difficult for the general public to accept the fact that many biological/chemical/physical mechanisms are extraordinarily complicated. Turin, as a PhD, does a fine job of painting a picture with broad strokes for the general public, but some things just cannot be explained in only 1 minute. And some 1 minute explanations require PhD-level domain knowledge to understand.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 2nd June 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

... yet in reality (at least here in the US) most people could care less about the science and want to know more about the other more, mindless stuff. Kind of sad, when you think about it.
    I think people want to know enough science to have a general idea and an occasional "ah ha ..." moment when they think about something. I think that's fine. People have lives to lead, children to raise, etc. It's the job of scientists to make it so people don't have to know all about the complicated details, and to occasionally fill in general knowledge gaps.

I'll agree, however, that it is disturbing that people who are adept at science are often vilified in the United States. This does not seem to be as much the case in other parts of the world (e.g. India, Asia, Eastern Europe, etc). That aspect of American culture is ultimately going to hurt us, badly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    people who are adept at science are often vilified in the United States.
    Good grief! Really?
    Why?

I just can't get my head around that.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Very nice series!
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Duftnote July 7, 2008

Caravelle

Recently, while perusing an oddly melancholy book titled "Classic Early Airliners 1958-1979," full of slightly
    faded, bluish photographs of long-scrapped aircraft parked in front of long-demolished airport terminals,
    my eye fell on one particular Air France Caravelle, F-BHRV. It was named "Provence," first flew in 1960
    and was melted down in 1980....

This is the fifth year of Scent Notes / Duftnote

More essays (up to 2007) can be found in this thread

Last edited by narcus; 7th July 2008 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Narcus. I feel like I have my turin back. Beautiful stuff after recent disappointments. Enough said.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 7th July 2008 at 10:16 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Just lovely - thanks narcus.

I often yearn to smell 'impossible smells' like Turin (the smell of my old house where I grew up, the smell of my kindergarten classroom when I was a child, etc...).

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Just lovely - thanks narcus.

I often yearn to smell 'impossible smells' like Turin (the smell of my old house where I grew up, the smell of my kindergarten classroom when I was a child, etc...).
    schools: the smell of the sponge to wipe the blackboard was quite bad - like sours milk ! That's one of those experiences I can do without. Or those wooden cabins in camps, used as toilets... . What cows and horses leave behind in the open air is nice though. (Swissair!) Turin should have mentioned it. Swissair, by the way, always had a nice classical cologne in their wash rooms (tourist class, mind you. I once stole a bottle.Maybe Givaudan were behind that one.)

@
    Hirch Duckfinder: you said it alll!

Strangely enough, I myself have come to terms with the guide now. Even though that's next to impossible, try to read a few reviews as not written for you but someone who has an interest in perfume, but doesn't know the least thing about it. Suppose he/she doesn't even know perfume blogs exist, is occasionally impressed by perfume ads, and very confused when he approaches counters and shelves in department stores, and listens to sales assistants. If such a person starts out by sampling five-star perfumes selected from the Guide, and if he has a fine nose he will certainly not be led to waste his money. He will usually find that the guide is way more specific than any sales person, or says the opposite of what he heard in the store. Contrasting opinions are better than just sales talk. What other book about perfumes has a similar function as a consumer magazine?
    Last edited by narcus; 8th July 2008 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's First Monday again, and I almost forgot:

Duftnote August 2008

Jasmin et Cigarette

"Now it is gone, we can see that smoke was the speech of smell, exhaled with every word. It was the olfactory equivalent of a group conversation which you could choose to listen to or treat as noise. It said you were in company, and could speak (or wear perfume) frankly to someone next to you without being overheard. Walk into a pub these days and the clear air feels oddly silent. Any smell of food or fragrance stands naked and precise, like a medical photograph. . . . "

By Luca Turin

(maybe I'll beautify it later)
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd September 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to see that Turin gives props to Maisondieu's Jasmin et Cigarette. I would love to hear from Turin if he's sniffed Scent One: Hinoki by CdG x Monocle and if so what he thinks about it (another Maisondieu creation).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th August 2008 at 02:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!
    I hope you had a good holiday.
    I thought it's funny how he describes perfumers in the streets now, smoking while testing in the open air. When did he stop smoking, I wonder, and did he stop at all?
    In Paris and Nizza nothing much has changed perfumers habits, I am sure!

(Little restaurants in Germany are now permitted to lift the ban on smokers, if the restaurant is too small to provide a comfort zone for non-smokers.)
    Last edited by narcus; 1st September 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the link to the most recent NZZ Folio piece, Narcus. I love, and think I believe, what he says about the connection between perceiving beauty and the act of having to filter out or reach through something that obscures. Like perfume through smoke, music through conversation. Nice piece. As, I suppose, 'twere.

Post Thanks / Like

It's first Monday again:

Duftnote September 1, 2008

Two Stinks

another tale by Luca Turin

.....The intelligence of octopus is not widely appreciated, partly because they have little chance
    to display it when diced in a seafood salad, partly because we tend to think of invertebrates
    as lower forms of life. But think they do, astonishingly well when in pristine shape.

Professor Young
    used to take out chunks of their brains to figure out which did what.....

Last edited by narcus; 2nd September 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Thank you so much, Narcus

I adore Luca Turin's irreverence; he is an unfailingly good read.

And his knowledge of all aspects of the industry is peerless.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the 'dead octopus' smell that Turin has mentioned before. I had no idea he was so 'hands on' working with live ones, in his former life.

Thanks Narcus, as always.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for these links, Narcus - very entertaining! I have an ambivalent relationship with a large jar of sea kelp bath salts that I have had for years and cannot seem to get to the bottom of, precisely because of this residual grit issue.

Turin is a towering intellect and an absolute scream, which is quite an usual combination. I would have loved to have gone to the Times/Selfridges Style Lecture he is giving later this month, but it sold out in a day!

You are lucky having the Osswald Parfumerie um die Ecke...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    You are lucky having the Osswald Parfumerie um die Ecke....
    ....right, of course! I really don't know why I don't go there more often.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th September 2008 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I always adored octupi and wanted to keep one as a pet, but they are hard to care for because they need entertainment and a escape proof aquarium, knowing Luca Turin appreciates them outside of calamari makes me appreciate the man even more.

I reckon dead tortoise can give dead octopus a run for its money in bad smell though, dead tortoise left me retching as well for some time and I could not even stomach the idea of having food that day.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Du
    ftnote October 6, 2008

Real Gardenia

&
    A beautiful example of paying compliments to others by simply referring to their web publications or supplying their address. Few people are similarly generous !

".....I’ll admit one of the few things I am cynical about is gardenia: I’ve smelled too many, from Chanel’s eponymous mess to Guerlain’s cruel joke, that smelled nothing like the real thing. Until proven innocent, I regard all “gardenias” as I do footprints of the Snowman, engines that run on vacuum energy or good wines from Savoie...." the full text

German language version

tags: gardenia Coifan Trygve Harris

Last edited by narcus; 6th October 2008 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one, thanks as always, narcus. Note the thinly veiled mockery of Creed
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Savoyard wines. Oh dear, more proof that I'm a pleb.

Narcus, thank you for this. Have you been to Oswald's lately? We've just moved, so I'm avoiding the place until I've bought the things I need for the new house.

Hello Narcus:

I blogged about this gardenia from Trygve back in August - I believe I was the first to obtain it from her. http://anyasgarden.blogspot.com/2008...-hands-in.html

Now to really tickle your gardenia lust: I received an absolute of Tahitian gardenia recently, complete with GC/MS. Incredible stuff. I'll blog about it soon. Goes for a measly 25,000EU/kg.

I believe that those of us dedicated to naturals *will* find a solution to the creation of many of the extracts so ignored by the mainstream perfume industry. It's already beginning....on the delicate petals of the gardenia ;-)

PS my Tahitian gardenia bush started blooming in my garden last week - heavenly!
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the websitehttp://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I was aware of Turin's dissatisfaction over gardenia in commercial fragrances. What fragrance comes closest to replicating real gardenias ?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Tom Ford's would be the most realistic...blue cheese and all.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I was aware of Turin's dissatisfaction over gardenia in commercial fragrances. What fragrance comes closest to replicating real gardenias ?

IMO, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Nouveau Gardenia.

Looking forward to trying these gardenia absolutes, though.

Post Thanks / Like

As always: thank you for all of your kind comments to me, and on the subject, during the month of October, the good life, Wordbird, Natural Juice, zztopp, sofresh and Minou, as well as everybody who has responded during the Months before ! I didn't have the time to post frequently in October but I am always interested to hear an echo. I am only surprised that there is so little criticism here. Judging from comments on the Guide, I thought LT didn't have admirers only. Turin's own blog had been built around his Zurich Scent Notes and I am still missing the lively discussions there. I somehow think you may have been there, maybe under a different name, Natural Juice?

Statistics seem to confirm that this thread is has been regularly visited by quite a number of people. That encourages me to continue this small service also in 2009.

Last edited by narcus; 6th November 2008 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Duftnote November 3, 2008

Anthropine

"Anthropine turns out to be an army-knife hybrid of pheromones and homeopathy

Today, you can send a sample of your own hair to the makers of Anthropine and get globules back. What little is left of my hair could considerably improve the human condition: several women have reported being cured of an expensive and antisocial fondness for Givenchy’s Amarige after only one dose.
    ...." read it all

German language version
    :

Homöopathie gegen Givenchy

tags: Anthropine Amaragie Humor Jaeger

Last edited by narcus; 6th November 2008 at 07:29 AM.

Hilarious! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful, thanks as always Narcus.

reviews

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The line, 'don’t bother to e-mail me if you disagree, or if you do please remember to dilute one part anger in a trillion parts sugar' got me giggling.

Post Thanks / Like

Du
    ftnote December 1, 2008

"Une fantaisie du docteur Ox -Turin" - by Jules Verne

"...What is remarkable is that clever devices are now abundant in plug-in room smells, piezoelectric sprays with little fans, wax CDs heated by a laser and much else, while the fine fragrance end still sticks to the archaic candle, with all its technical limitations. This at a time when every woman walks down the street speaking into a device with more computing power than the first IBM 360. I think times may be ready to change: one of these days Chanel will team up with Nokia, ask Philippe Starck to design the Zero and sell plug-ins of 5, 18, 19, 22 and other integers."

Season's Greetings from Narcus

tags: Universalist;Humor

Last edited by narcus; 1st December 2008 at 09:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

Du
    ftnote October 6, 2008

Real Gardenia

&
    A beautiful example of paying compliments to others by simply referring to their web publications or supplying their address. Few people are similarly generous !

".....I’ll admit one of the few things I am cynical about is gardenia: I’ve smelled too many, from Chanel’s eponymous mess to Guerlain’s cruel joke, that smelled nothing like the real thing. Until proven innocent, I regard all “gardenias” as I do footprints of the Snowman, engines that run on vacuum energy or good wines from Savoie...." the full text

German language version

tags: gardenia Coifan Trygve Harris

My Grandma always puts on so much gardenia that it strangles the air in the room!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks narcus.

Just hearing Turin discuss such a device sounds fascinating - I would have loved to have owned such a device. I-Fume!

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks narcus.

Just hearing Turin discuss such a device sounds fascinating - I would have loved to have owned such a device. I-Fume!

Me too...and I love how hard they tried. Given people's sensitivity to fragrance these days, I think they'd still have trouble unless there was some goofy mood/productivity/health/weight loss/sexual stamina angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Well... since it would be a further expansion into the accessories market I think it's possible. Imagine an atomiser insert in your Chanel mobile phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Well... since it would be a further expansion into the accessories market I think it's possible. Imagine an atomiser insert in your Chanel mobile phone...
    I think that would be an interesting way to go, although I personally would rather have a place to store a pen.