Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Has someone tried La Nuit?

    I'm curious about how this women-marketed leather can be compared to men's leathers like Van Cleef & Arpels, Trussardi, Antaeus, Aramis and so on.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,888

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Are you talking about Paco Rabanne La Nuit?

  3. #3
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Are you talking about Paco Rabanne La Nuit?
    Yes.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    I bought a bottle due to it's notorious reputation. It's a fascinating/repulsive brew of buttery, musky, floral notes on top of a little birch tar. A fragrance equivalent of an old show girl, back stage having a swig of whatever she could get her hands on.

  5. #5
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,308

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    I liked it enough to buy a bottle. It does have a floral overtone to the leather. Touchstones of similarity can be found in Chanel Cuir de Russie and Balmain Jolie Madame, but I actually find it a little more challenging than either of those.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    I wore this fragrance for while a few years back. The scent is a very dry rich leather scent very close to Van Cleef. I never picked up deep floral tones very unisex.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    A fragrance equivalent of an old show girl, back stage having a swig of whatever she could get her hands on.
    Sounds like somebody has just found his signature scent ;-)
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,888

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    ThePerfumeShrine blog recently wrote about 'Leather Scents' a whole list of fragrances classified as 'big, nastry bruisers' and included: Aramis, Azuree by Lauder, Yatagan by Caron, Jules by Dior, Santos by Cartier, Antaeus by Chanel, Trussardu Uomo, Derby by Guerlain, Bel Ami by Hermes, Parfum de Peau by Montana and La Nuit by Paco Rabanne.

    Luca Turin loves La Nuit. He's quoted (I think, from his Perfume Review book that's in French) as saying about La Nuit:

    This is the warmest, sultriest perfume imaginable. To think I hated it when it came out ! My extenuating circumstance was that at the time (1985) I lived in Nice, where women can be toe-curlingly vulgar, and it was a big hit. La Nuit is probably the most animalic perfume ever made by a major firm, and I don’t just mean musky à la Koublai Khan, or castoreum as in Tabac Blond, but something beyond that, almost urinous/sweaty, “wrong” and truly wonderful. Spray Tabu on a horse, and you’ll get the idea. I wrote a disparaging review of it in 1992, apologized for it in 1994 and only recently treated myself to a bottle. Now that the Niçoises have moved on, I see it for what it was all along: the sexiest fragrance since Cabochard”.

    Link here

  9. #9
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    It's excellent. Sort of like Cabochard but without the tobacco, less leather and with some apppropriate mild fruitiness. I'm referring to the EDP for both fragrances (Cabochard EDP and esp. the parfum are a lot better than Cabochard EDT). Cabochard and La Nuit are a lot more interesting than Antaeus, Van Cleef, etc (maybe I'm just bored with those since I've worn them so much). I still love Jules though.

    Bottom line is that La Nuit smells great and is easy/pleasant to wear.

    I can't relate with The Perfume Shrine's listing of Santos as a big bruiser leather. I smell very little actual leather in it. As well, Derby is a superb fragrance but definitely not a big bruiser type of scent.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th March 2008 at 06:29 PM.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,888

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's excellent. Sort of like Cabochard but without the tobacco, less leather and with some apppropriate mild fruitiness. I'm referring to the EDP for both fragrances (Cabochard EDP and esp. the parfum are a lot better than Cabochard EDT). Cabochard and La Nuit are a lot more interesting than Antaeus, Van Cleef, etc (maybe I'm just bored with those since I've worn them so much). I still love Jules though.

    Bottom line is that La Nuit smells great and is easy/pleasant to wear.

    I can't relate with The Perfume Shrine's listing of Santos as a big bruiser leather. I smell very little actual leather in it. As well, Derby is a superb fragrance but definitely not a big bruiser type of scent.
    Thanks Pluran - I was thinking in the back of my mind Pluran's probably smelled La Nuit...

    I have not smelled La Nuit (or Santos) - but looking thru the Basenotes archive I found a discussion where knightowl and someone else mentioned which fragrance would win in a fight: Bel Ami, JHL and Santos Concentree. They were of the opinion that Santos would win. To them Santos smelled pretty tough.

    One more thing, off topic: I can't wait to try Jules.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Hmm, I remember smelling it recently at a tiny chemists! It had probably gone off, as it smelt leathery, but a vile leather, with a distinct dirty note that just made it a bit overboard with the leather too, a bit like a sweaty used low quality leather jacket I didn't get a single hint of florals or femininity!

  12. #12
    bleu autumn haze
    shadesofbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jayhawk country!
    Posts
    10,378

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Doing a search for old La Nuit's posts, I found this one that I posted in September of 2005:

    "I just tested La Nuit earlier this month. I love most leather scents and this one was no exception. I don't understand Luca's "Tabu on horse" reference at all. More floral than Cuir Mauresque, more fruity (thanks to the luscious plum note) than Cuir de Russie, more girly than Bandit. If you like leathers, you should give La Nuit a try. I wouldn't call it "toe-curling vulgar" but it is pretty darn sexy!"

    I still think that La Nuit is one of the more naughty leathers out there.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 5th March 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: was off a year ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

  13. #13
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks Pluran - I was thinking in the back of my mind Pluran's probably smelled La Nuit...

    I have not smelled La Nuit (or Santos) - but looking thru the Basenotes archive I found a discussion where knightowl and someone else mentioned which fragrance would win in a fight: Bel Ami, JHL and Santos Concentree. They were of the opinion that Santos would win. To them Santos smelled pretty tough...

    Mike,

    Santos definitely has a certain virility about it. It goes on like a superior fragrance, smells great for awhile, but wears flat and becomes extremely tedious. I don't think I ever wore it without washing it off.

    Many people seem to love it though.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th March 2008 at 09:07 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rock Hill SC, Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: Has someone tried La Nuit?

    I have it and I think it smells like insence and crusty bed sheets from a seedy motel. It has a dried "funk" thing to it. It's fine for a night out, but I would'nt wear this to an office or any job for that matter.


    S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000