Code of Conduct

Thread: Jean Guy Musk

Sur la Plage

Question Jean Guy Musk

I was in Sephora the other day, and saw a fragrance Jean Guy Musk displayed in the men's section. They didn't have a tester, so I could not sample it.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts/opinions of it.

From the Sephora website:
    Jean Guy, the French perfumer, is known for creating modern fragrances inspired by classic scents. His sophisticated scents for women capture the floral essence he loves and the uniqueness of each woman who wears it. In his latest creation Musk, he reinvents a classic and transforms it into something truly modern by capturing the sensuality of women with the passion of men. Musk is a fragrance that can be enjoyed by all.

Notes: Pear, Crisp Linen, Freesia, Narcissus, Green Grass, White Musk, Sensual Musk.

Style: Confident. Fresh. Addictive.

Default Re: Jean Guy Musk

It is certainly cheap enough. If you are that curious, at least it is more affordable to take a gamble. Personally, I am not a fan of freesia and won't be out to test it.

I sampled it and I much preferred Kiehl's Musk (Oil and EDT) to that one. As it was way too sweet-fruity for my tastes.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 4th March 2008 at 03:21 AM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Sur la Plage

Thanks for the feedback.

Even though it is inexpensive ($18 for 1oz, $25 for 1.7oz, $35 for 3.4oz), I would still want to test it to see if I really like it. So I am sure I will be going to another Sephora soon and I will see if they have a tester or a sample.

I swapped for a bottle over on MUA. I find that's its an extremely clean musk ... almost too clean for me. It borders on being cleaner than it is musky. Personally, I prefer not to smell like I just stepped out of the shower - more like I've just had a roll in the hay.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    I swapped for a bottle over on MUA. I find that's its an extremely clean musk ... almost too clean for me. It borders on being cleaner than it is musky. Personally, I prefer not to smell like I just stepped out of the shower - more like I've just had a roll in the hay.
    Thanks for the info. I prefer a dirtier musk also, as well as a nice roll in the hay

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts/opinions of it.
    I just tried it on my arm over at Sephora, and I'm about an hour and a half into it now. Top notes seemed really fruity, nice. (Caveat: I am a big fan of pear.) That phase lasted about half an hour on my dry skin. Drydown is a bit soapy in some odd way, and there is really no longevity here. If this is what Jean Guy calls an eau de parfum, you could probably safely drink the eau de toilette. It's smells nice enough, but I'm not feeling all that musky at this point. There is a definite just-out-of-the-shower feeling here. Very unisex.

Really obviously cheap packaging, like it was a prize out of a big box of Cracker Jack. I almost bought it on a whim, since the 50ml size was only $25. But other fragrances I was also trying out were only twice as pricey, smelled a lot better, and lasted a lot longer, so I couldn't justify it. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to musk, but I'm sure there is much better stuff out there for less than twice as much.

Sur la Plage

I ended up trying this also (thank you bront82 for the sample). It is a light, clean, inoffensive smell - but it seems hard to call this a musk.

While I usually prefer a dirtier musk, the one clean musk fragrance that I found that I like is The Body Shop's White Musk for Men.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've tried it, a straightforward musk absolutely decent, inexpensive and finally somewhat soapy, the soapiness is never disturbing or overly synthetic, just delicate and almost ethereal, don't expect texture and elegance but you can enjoy it for not more than € 20 if you are in to musk prominent perfumes.