Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 66
  1. #1
    Basenotes Member China-Rising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    This is open to both male and female users.

    Would you consider yourself a fragrance snob? what I mean by this is do you generally avoid the cheaper fragrances and those fragrances which are constantly advertised with men in speedo's and 6 packs and women in 2 piece bikini's? generally those fragrances aimed at the younger market. Granted a lot of those fragrances aren't cheap, but I find I don't want to smell the same as everyone else.

    You can never really wear a unique fragrance because there will always be someone who wears it as well (unless you make it yourself of course)

    But it's like when a new Diesel fragrance comes out and I'm in my local perfume shop, I will avoid it and anything like it.

    Is that wrong for me to do? does that make me a snob? perhaps they actually smell really nice but I never give them a chance because of how they are marketed.

    Does anyone do this or something similar? would you consider yourself a snob when it comes to fragrances?

  2. #2
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting question.

    I would say that Imma semi-snob. I usually avoid the cheaper mainstream houses
    like Klein; Armani and Boss. That said, I do own frags from each of those houses
    which I love to death - except Boss.
    I wouldn't dream of wearing something from, say, Diesel.
    This is where the snob thing comes in; imagine wearing something cheap, and
    somebody ask you what you are wearing. That would be horrid. Embarresing!
    But hey, that's just me!

    I'm a designer fragrance fan by heart - I only own a small handfull of niche frags,
    so, I'm not a snob in that way.

  3. #3
    Power Where You Need It
    alfarom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I try to approach fragrances with an open-mind and divide them into fragrances I like and fragrances I dont like (no matter how much they cost). As a matter of fact I got more involved with vintage perfumes and niche but this doesn't make of me a SNOB. To me, anyone who pretends to know things much better than other people is a snob. Anyone who "pretends" to give you the "right suggestion". No matter wich fragrances he/she likes or not.

    But if, by any chance, Snob means picky, then I'm definitely SNOB!
    Last edited by alfarom; 28th July 2011 at 12:59 PM.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beirut
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Oh dear, I think I might be...
    I normally do not smell (let alone buy...) anything called "sport", or if I do, it's dismissmed, no brainer.
    If the bottle is elegant and interesting, I tend to find the juice interesting too. Opposite, if the bottle is horrid, I dismiss the juice. It's the case of 1 Million, which in fact might be a nice frag in a dreadful bottle, or Marc Jacobs Men, which is a mediocre frag in a lovely bottle: I'd take MJ any day!
    I dismissed ADG for the longest time because of its popularity, while I acknowledge that it is a wonderful frag. I wouldn't dream of wearing it, though I have been very recently tempted to get a bottle and get over it.
    I impulsively think that niche does it better I reckon that niche perfumes are more daring, but I secretely know that it's not always true!
    I do not buy compulsively, and I don't buy decants Samples, yes, and if they win me over, I get the bottle.
    I know that Cool Water and GIT smell pretty much the same, but GIT is better. And I don't like GIT because it's too hyped
    I get annoyed when someone says that Caron Pour Homme smells like Play Doh, and it actually does, but Caron is Caron, and you don't mess with Caron
    I've been sampling Habit Rouge thousands of time and try to convince myself that I actually like it, but I guess I'm not snob enough to do so. Just yet Yet, I get kind of embarassed everytime I acknowledge that I just do not like Habit Rouge

    There you go. "The confession of a secret perfume snob"!

    [I blew it a little... Just a little, to be honest!]
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I wouldn't call myself a frag snob, but I feel like I have a fairly refined nose and cheap frags end up smelling just that to me, cheap. I like frags that smell good regardless of price, that being said I have very few cheapies in my collection, and most of the ones I do have were gifts.

    I'll admit I don't like smelling like everyone else though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    hehe...I am the worst fragrance snob .
    That doesn't mean what I wear has to be expensive ( though I love parfum extrait , Amouage Attars , and Clive Christian ) but it means I want to know all there is to know about what I am wearing - how it is made , who was the nose , what notes are in it , how available is it , what different concentrations are available , who designed the bottle...and I love to collect rare vintage , especially those that contain aroma materials now restricted by the IFRA .

  7. #7

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I am sure the high price of certain fragrances has some psychological effect on all of us, and so does the aura of being very rare or vintage (which also tends to translate into higher price). But I'd be the happiest person if I could find cheap stuff that speaks to me in the same way Windsor, Homage or pure oud oil do. Unfortunately, even with extensive tries and re-tries (I want to find secret bargains, dammit!), I just can't make myself really love the stuff commonly found in malls. Even many niche fragrances, despite being expensive hold no particular appeal to me over even some of the better non-niche frags, so a high price tag does not necessarily correlate with better quality and some sort of a more universal appeal.

    I still have hope that there are incredible (and more affordable) fragrances out there, for now I have to stick to a handful of the better Creeds, a few Guerlains, some Middle Eastern attars and pure oud oils.

  8. #8
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I like to think that I'm unique - just like everybody else

  9. #9
    Moderator
    furrypine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    1,891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Sure, I am snobbish. The way the mass marked and designer fragrances are constantly reformulated, watered down and cheapened makes me wary to try them. I have found mass marked and designer that I like, but they are usually older/vintage editions from Bill Blass, Balmain, YSL, Nina Ricci, but I stay away from the current ones, unless they get raving reviews from respected blogs. Most of the current designer scents are timid, faceless and interchangeable: one tiny molecule separates this week launches from the dreck launched last week.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I personally like Diesel including "Fuel for life" and their dicontinued "Masculine plus plus". They weren't earth shattering but they were quite good.

    I typically wear what appeals to me but I've noticed that changes over time. I initially fell in love with Boss XY but now it's just another fragrance for me. I find their stuff to be simple but I would wear something that smelled great.

    Bear in mind that a lot of the good classic stuff comes from regular designers like YSL, Dior, and chanel. One of my sporty classics is "Lacoste Essential" .. Very sporty and nice.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    Mandolinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Nope I'm not a snob. I want every fragrance, even if I dislike it, and the ones I dislike are few and far between.

  12. #12
    Rüssel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    My lack of knowledge about what is popular and what not and the unwillingness to fork out the cash for niche products pretty much prevent snobbery. I have to admit though that seeing frags like Cerruti in local supermarkets disturbs me just a little (Cool Water is excused, I knew it's sold everywhere). I will avoid stuff like Calvin Klein. I would avoid anything that says Beckham, Usher or similar names on it. That A*men is so popular does bother me, perhaps more than its smell. I also would not go near Le Male, ADG, Issey, 1 Million and others.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus
    Chris Bartlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I'm afraid I'm certainly a fragrance snob, as you define it China-Rising: it was not wanting to smell like everyone else that first led me into the perfumery business.

    Speaking of which, you don't necessarily have to make a fragrance yourself in order to avoid that fate: there are a few of us about that will make a fragrance for / with you.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

    www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    This is open to both male and female users.

    Would you consider yourself a fragrance snob? what I mean by this is do you generally avoid the cheaper fragrances and those fragrances which are constantly advertised with men in speedo's and 6 packs and women in 2 piece bikini's? generally those fragrances aimed at the younger market. Granted a lot of those fragrances aren't cheap, but I find I don't want to smell the same as everyone else.

    You can never really wear a unique fragrance because there will always be someone who wears it as well (unless you make it yourself of course)

    But it's like when a new Diesel fragrance comes out and I'm in my local perfume shop, I will avoid it and anything like it.

    Is that wrong for me to do? does that make me a snob? perhaps they actually smell really nice but I never give them a chance because of how they are marketed.

    Does anyone do this or something similar? would you consider yourself a snob when it comes to fragrances?
    Of course it's not wrong for you to do. It is whatever you fancy, but it does make you a frag snob. I am down to try or wear anything that potentially smells good to me. What it boils down to is what fragrance means to you. To me, it's just to satisfy my olfactory indulgences and has little to to with identity. The reason I like both obscure and popular fragrances is because popular ones tend to have more synthetics and therefore tend to last longer albeit they make me smell like everyone else...
    Time to musk up.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Yeah

  16. #16
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    If searching for quality is being a snob, so i`m one. Altough i think a fragrance snob will only wear things just because they are exclusive and pricey, and you end noticing that you also have poor things on the ultra expensive section too

  17. #17
    mr. reasonable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Yeh.

    But then, no.

    When it comes to avoiding stuff that is devoid of an idea and relies on squeaky synthetics to shuffle up and apologise for the fact that they were called in at the last moment to stand in because there wasn't enough left in the budget to pay for a proper base then I don't discrimate and price is absolutely no object to me - if it's cheap with tacky neon and plastic marketing and smells like s*** or if it's super expensivo and the whole image has been cultivated, no nurtured, to send out, sorry quietly suggest, that uber-niche stealth wealth so cool it hurts vibe and it smells like s*** then, no problem either way because MEGO.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 29th July 2011 at 01:54 AM.

  18. #18
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Nope. I simply wear what I like, from a pricey Xerjoff to good el cheapo Grey Flannel. I don't look down on others for wearing cheap drugstore fragrances they like. Sometimes I might give them some samples to let them know what else is out there, or what they might be missing. But most of the time they just don't care as much as we fragrancephiles do.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I do appreciate fine fragrances, but I will also wear some less costly scents with no problem.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  20. #20
    Spoombung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Nope, I'm not a snob. Boss Bottled or Oud 27, they both do different jobs. Can't compare carrots to cabbages. (Well you can but it's pointless).

  21. #21
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Here goes my answers...

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    * Do you generally avoid the cheaper fragrances and those fragrances which are constantly advertised with men in speedo's and 6 packs and women in 2 piece bikini's?
    - I do avoid mass advertised ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    * You can never really wear a unique fragrance because there will always be someone who wears it as well (unless you make it yourself of course)
    - Yes, I do. Still, I have and wear A*Men and Le Mâle, with caution, that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    * But it's like when a new Diesel fragrance comes out and I'm in my local perfume shop, I will avoid it and anything like it.
    - As far as my experience goes, most of these juices smell vile. There might be exceptions, though, I am not aware of (Moschino Forever was a nice surprise, IMHO).

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    * Is that wrong for me to do? Does that make me a snob? Perhaps they actually smell really nice but I never give them a chance because of how they are marketed.
    - No, it means you have defined criteria when it comes to your tastes.

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    * Does anyone do this or something similar? Would you consider yourself a snob when it comes to fragrances?
    - Well, I guess I am a fragrance snob; I have drugstore scents in my wardrobe like Brut, Old Spice, Canoe, Jovan Musk and British Sterling and others, and I wear them on certain occasions. But as far as I can tell from my experience in this hobby, nothing beats classics like the ones by Guerlain or the scents blended by Houses like Annick Goutal.

    Let's keep on sniffing...

  22. #22
    digger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Typically I will avoid the mass market department store stuff, but I do like Grey flannel, Azzaro pour Homme, Old Spice, English Leather and a couple of other "cheapies". I also, own several Niche scents including Amouage, Le Labo, Creed and Montale. I buy what I like because I like it and for no other reason. If it is good for me I will get it regardless of whether it is cheap or cost alot. However, I do think I smell better than 99% of the male population, so I guess I am a snob from that point of view.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

    1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

  23. #23
    Rossi46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Farnham
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I'm not sure price is a true indicator of quality OR exclusivity.......certainly not here in the UK. When I wear Brut, Old Spice. Black Suede or Blue Stratos I most definitely do not smell like every other guy out there. They are far too busy wearing the latest generic Aquatic or Sports fragrance.

    At the end of the day, trust your nose and wear what you like (even if it is Aqua Di Gio!)
    Last edited by Rossi46; 28th July 2011 at 07:21 PM.

  24. #24
    Slushiex3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Bay
    Posts
    427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    i think i am somewhat of a snob because, well although i do like some mainstream fragrances, most of them tend to just not catch my attention =\ it just becomes sort of expected that the new fragrances won't be up to par. But still i am open to at least sniffing them, trying them... not so much

  25. #25

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I have become 10% more of a snob since joining BN earlier this year.

  26. #26
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    99.9% of the members here are....including myself. Snobbery ( or in this case discriminating) isn't a bad thing. What's the point of continuing to learn in this hobby if not to be able to sift through the rubble for the gems.

  27. #27
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I just like to define my preferences.

  28. #28
    blueyezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by waftbycarol View Post
    hehe...I am the worst fragrance snob .
    That doesn't mean what I wear has to be expensive ( though I love parfum extrait , Amouage Attars , and Clive Christian ) but it means I want to know all there is to know about what I am wearing - how it is made , who was the nose , what notes are in it , how available is it , what different concentrations are available , who designed the bottle...and I love to collect rare vintage , especially those that contain aroma materials now restricted by the IFRA .
    This - definitely.

    My issue with mass-market fragrances is that often they are reduced to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the most number of people, thereby becoming anodyne, bland and boring. Rarely do these type of fragrances hold my attention over the long haul although they may smell pleasant initially.

    Its similar to a more challenging piece of music or book - once understood and appreciated, its more finely nuanced, richer in ideas and with inbuilt longevity.

    The brief for niche and some designer fragrances (mostly Hermes, Chanel and Guerlain) allow for a greater expression of artistic intent rather that just about making the most money.

    I absolutely want to know who made my perfume, their back catalogue, their influences. Perfumers are, after all, artists. And perfumes are the only works of art I can afford to buy.
    Last edited by blueyezz; 28th July 2011 at 09:17 PM.

  29. #29
    PerfumedLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    To me, anyone who pretends to know things much better than other people is a snob...

    But if, by any chance, Snob means picky, then I'm definitely SNOB!
    Completely agree with this.I think of a snob as someone who needs to impress others,who really wants to be congratulated on their tastes.These people may or may not actually know what they are talking about re:fragrance.

    I like to keep myself firmly in the "always learning" camp.There's nothing snobby about having sophisticated your tastes-it means you have taken the time to learn.I have found quality in many price ranges-yes,they are harder to find as the price drops but it's the hunting and sampling that teaches us so much.I don't think most BNers are snobs(not even the ones who've plead guilty as charged!)-I think it's perfectly o.k.,smart even,to be picky.
    The nose wants what it wants!

  30. #30
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Never ever: I wear plenty of frags without even wondering how popular, expensive, snobbish etc. they are

    I am, in my opinion, too random, curious, insatiable, sensation-addicted, moody, inconstant, unbalanced to be a fragrance snob

  31. #31
    hedonist222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    16,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I am under the impression, based on years of usage, that designer/commercial aren't as good as niche in terms of uniqueness and quality. For some reason, a lot of (not all but most) designer just smells synthetic 2 hours into the perfume. I have learned in life that you pay for what you get.

    Most importantly, the majority of major corporations will create a product that is sellable to the vast majority of consumers. I don't see myself as part of the vast majority. I love Chenê by Serge Lutens for example.
    Traum vernichtung


    for swap/sale:





  32. #32
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Edit: Deleted post that was too longand didn't feel like writing anything in its place.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th September 2011 at 12:56 AM.

  33. #33
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I wouldn't call it being a snob but rather an informed consumer. If it says calvin klein or sean combs on the bottle it's not for me regardless of how it smells. There is no way a perfume house can come out with a new high quality fragrance every week.When people ask me what I am wearing I'll be damned if I reply with P Diddy for men.

    I tend to gravitate to the legendary couture fragrances like Dior,Chanel,Givenchy. I like to feel like I am wearing something rich elegant and classic.The fragrances usually measure up to their name and reputation in most cases. This has been my experience.

    So YES I would hesitate to try something listed in maxim magazine but more willing if I saw it in vouge homme eurpoean version.

    I think department stores make a huge mistake by who they hire to push these fragrances. I was almost assaulted last week at macys by a sprayer wanting me to try the new "loser of the day" fragrance. She was way too agressive and almost thuggish in her approach...no coincidence that the fragrance she was pushing was also very average and thuggish.

  34. #34
    hedonist222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    16,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I disagree with all of this, but it does consummately satisfy the definition of snobbery.
    Ok I'll be more clear. Lately, the past few years,there haven't been very many unique commercial/designer scents.
    There are many good ones like Fahrenheit, Encre noire, antaeus, egoiste, m7 but these are a minority of the commercial group.

    Just my opinion, your opinion and nose certainly differs from mine. Please don't take it personally.
    Traum vernichtung


    for swap/sale:





  35. #35
    Postumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Interesting question.

    I would say that Imma semi-snob. I usually avoid the cheaper mainstream houses
    like Klein; Armani and Boss. That said, I do own frags from each of those houses
    which I love to death - except Boss.
    I wouldn't dream of wearing something from, say, Diesel.
    This is where the snob thing comes in; imagine wearing something cheap, and
    somebody ask you what you are wearing. That would be horrid. Embarresing!
    But hey, that's just me!

    I'm a designer fragrance fan by heart - I only own a small handfull of niche frags,
    so, I'm not a snob in that way.
    Well, grand duc, Diesel is not what i call cheap... neither is Armani.
    There are cheaper houses that sell better fragrances than those two. At least, in Spain, Diesel and Armani are even more expensive than Guerlain.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    6,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    No, not a fragrance snob, but i usually like the niche companies best. They take more risks, and their scents are more unique. Some of the mass-market designer scents bores me to deth, but some are worth owning. Actually some of the best fragrances in my collection are designers (TDH, Egoiste, Michael for men etc.

  37. #37
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I'm half snob, half designer fan. I greatly respect and enjoy niches but they're too pricey. I enjoy many designers, but they're more often than not predictable, synthetic, boring, rehashed...At the end of the day it just comes down to whether or not I enjoy the smell

  38. #38
    Rossi46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Farnham
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    If it says calvin klein or sean combs on the bottle it's not for me regardless of how it smells
    Isn't the smell exactly why we're all on here? Not just the name on the bottle.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    After discovering BN in late 2007, I bought a bunch of cheapos that got good reviews here and decided to study them for a while. I never bought into the Creed hype (or Amouge, TF, etc.), but rather went with what I enjoyed. One of my favorites these days is Mustang by Dorall, which is apparently a "knockoff" of the original Polo. However, I do get annoyed when a frag seems to have been done so cheaply (in terms of ingredient quality) that I have trouble enjoying it, even though it is great in every other way (I'm looking at you, Dunhill Desire for a Man LOL).

  40. #40
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    .. One of my favorites these days is Mustang by Dorall, which is apparently a "knockoff" of the original Polo...
    Reformulations can turn the knock offs better than the original, not kidding. In that sense, we are not snobs. Now, when we instantly reject Boss last release (or name whatever hyped designer around), we do fit in the category. Blame it on one's ability to discriminate or whatever... we are snobs for whatever reason you might mention: experience, taste, olfatory upbringing, etc. As Aromi said, it is part of the game once an aficionado.

  41. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    considering the fact that i've never bought any fragrance with a two-digit price tag, then yea i'd probably be labeled as such.

    but whatever. gotta pay to play. i hate cheap/designer cologne almost as much as i love quality/niche cologne.

  42. #42
    Basenotes Member China-Rising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Massive amount of replies to get through here haha. I will get through them all tomorrow. I'll enjoy seeing what some of you guys/gals have come up with.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by China-Rising View Post
    Would you consider yourself a fragrance snob?
    I would like to think not.

  44. #44
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Yes.

    On your way out the door, please don't inhale too many molecules of my JAR fragrance that I just sprayed in the air.
    -

  45. #45

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    No; not at all. I just like to smell good.

  46. #46
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    There are many superior designer fragrances, especially vintage, which display far more craft than what's in 90% of the niche market, and they can often be had for less than $30-80 at discount shops, etc. And while there are several good niche fragrances, the majority of them are usually little more than "very beguiling top and heart notes, with basenotes finishes that are almost always unremarkable, made up of mostly not very costly woody pre-composed woody ambers and inferior musk aromachemicals finished with very little craft and very simplistically".

    There are many good ones, but niche has never meant better or more natural. It does usually cost a lot more, but the main thing it means is that the producer doesn't have the market power to get his goods on shelves. Like any good designer fragrance, most niche fragrances are 80-85% synthetic, and synthetics often smell more natural than naturals, but this idea that niche fragrances use higher quality ingredients is a myth. Many niche companies don't even have access to all of the best ingredients.

    pluran...........nice post.

  47. #47
    Postumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Well... most people i know think that owning more than 2-3 frags is a clear example of snobbery.

  48. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    so according to pluran, the very true, age-old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply to fragrance? it applies to everything else (for the most part, yes there are always exceptions), but in the world of fragrance, there is absolutely no positive correlation between price and quality?

    LOL.... good stuff. I got a laugh out of that.

  49. #49
    Postumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    No, there are overpriced frags, and you know that's true. I don't think it's the same to spend 60$ on M7 than spend it on, let's see, Hugo Just Different or something like that...

    At the end, it comes all to a matter of taste and low quality ingredients can make the best fragrance for the right person. And high quality ingredients don't make a good fragrance if the perfumer is on a lazy day, lacks creativity or talent.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    At times I am and at other times I'm not.....Most of the time I am not!!! I have both designer and Niche fragrances..... I have Designer fragrances that are better than some of my Niche fragrances.....Most of the time the Niche fragrances are way better.....The Designer world has their share of gems but they are few and far between!!!
    I always explore both worlds.....Niche and Designer.....Niche wins 95% of the time.....But I will not ever ignore the Designer side of fragrance!!!
    Gary

  51. #51
    hedonist222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    16,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I disagree with all of this, but it does consummately satisfy the definition of snobbery. Or more accurately, it reminds me of the many people I’ve seen who are rushing to be part of a mindless flock of status obsessed nouveau riche.

    There are many superior designer fragrances, especially vintage, which display far more craft than what's in 90% of the niche market, and they can often be had for less than $30-80 at discount shops, etc. And while there are several good niche fragrances, the majority of them are usually little more than "very beguiling top and heart notes, with basenotes finishes that are almost always unremarkable, made up of mostly not very costly woody pre-composed woody ambers and inferior musk aromachemicals finished with very little craft and very simplistically".

    There are many good ones, but niche has never meant better or more natural. It does usually cost a lot more, but the main thing it means is that the producer doesn't have the market power to get his goods on shelves. Like any good designer fragrance, most niche fragrances are 80-85% synthetic, and synthetics often smell more natural than naturals, but this idea that niche fragrances use higher quality ingredients is a myth. Many niche companies don't even have access to all of the best ingredients.

    Anyone who really knows perfume doesn't even make the distinction between designer and niche.


    As one of the greatest perfumers who makes a lot of the best niche fragrances had to say in response to this question:


    How do you feel about the state of contemporary "commercial" fragrance? Will the rise of niche and boutique fragrance force change to the landscape? Also, the niche market has exploded, and many fragrances are indistinguishable from commercial scents.

    Here there isn’t a hard line, a tangible border between commercial fragrances and niche products. That means you can find the more horrible copy in a so-called niche brand and a very original innovative accord in a very commercial launch. Very difficult to point precisely as to the exact character of a new launched fragrance because, it is increasingly rare to distinguish between them.

    I am sure of one thing: time is the best judge of a fragrance. If Perfumery is to remain an Art, it will be those fragrances that compel us based on quality and originality, not necessarily label or price.

    _______________


    And who made the designer fragrance? Who made the niche? Was it a good perfumer? Probably not in either case, because there aren't that many good perfumers.

    What's most revealing is that you can give someone a sample of a decent designer fragrance, tell them it's an expensive niche, and they'll almost always tell you that it's very well made with high quality materials. But if you give them the same sample and tell them it's an average mass market fragrance, they'll tell you how poorly made and synthetic it is. This kind of thing goes on in the perfume industry all the time.

    Many people are now starting niche perfume companies simply because they know they can make a lot of money by putting them on luckyscent.com, etc., and the quality is often extremely poor. The same goes for Tom Ford and a lot of others, and it's just getting bigger. There are only a few great perfumers out there, and there is now way that most these fragrances can be any good, designer or niche.
    That's fine. But i said not all designers. There are many fine designers but lately, I have yet to be captivated by many designer perfumes yet I am enchanted by many niche. Again, thats my opinion and nose. Yours differs as well but my notion still stands, you pay for what you get.
    2 random examples that work well here. Encre noire and Sycomore and Bvlgari Black and Patchouli 24.
    The plethora of reviews/discussion speaks for itself. Also FYI, i chose to purchase Encre noire over sycomore but bought P24 over black because i felt black was simply p24 on a budget by Bvlgari management.
    Traum vernichtung


    for swap/sale:





  52. #52

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Szeged
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I don't regard myself snob. I'm overly disappointed with some niche houses, like L'Artisan, there are much fewer Creed scents I like than I can't warm up to, so on, so on. I think I'm open to each new scent, I've found really nice Beckham scent - the list could be so long. Give chance to anything, at least for a trying. So beautiful is this world of scents, each little color would make it even more interesting.

  53. #53
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Many people are now starting niche perfume companies simply because they know they can make a lot of money by putting them on luckyscent.com, etc., and the quality is often extremely poor. The same goes for Tom Ford and a lot of others, and it's just getting bigger. There are only a few great perfumers out there, and there is now way that most these fragrances can be any good, designer or niche.
    This is another kind of snobbery ..the kind where if the perfume isn't by some old legend, it just cant be good. Or if its not by a famous house, it just can't be good because they can't get any materials. What is that supposed to mean anyways? Chanel may have some exclusive fields in Grasse but they aren't exactly blowing away the market with their recent output. Why can't an up and coming perfumer make a good fragrance? Why can't a "decent" perfumer improve over time? This overt reliance on just a handful of recognizable personalities infects a lot of industries.
    -

  54. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I had an experience the other day that confirmed the answer to this question for me is, 'Yes'.

    I had a few hours to kill whilst my wife was having her hair done so I popped into the Perfume Shop and asked to sample some new fragrances. The SA (who I later discovered knew NOTHING* about fragrances; I said that I only liked oriental/woody fragrances, leaning towards the gourmand and she got out Clinique 'Happy') said, "How about Paco Rabanne 1 Million? It's our best seller" I immediately recoiled and declined. She then suggested the new Hugo Boss, to which I replied with a curt "I don't think that will be for me" Without even sampling it, I'd discounted a fragrance simply because it was mainstream! I've come to realise that I don't wish to smell like everyone else and would rather spend upwards of £100 for a decent fragrance. By this, I mean something with good sillage and longevity; I like to know that I'm wearing a frag, not have it disappear within minutes. The reality is that I can't shop on the High Street anymore! If that makes me a fragrance snob, then so be it!

    *In the same conversation I asked if there were any EDPs and she said "Oh, sorry, I didn't realise you were looking for a female one" Incredible.

  55. #55
    donna255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    5,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Yes, but I do own a few older Avon. I walk through department stores avoiding the latest releases by Klein etc have no interest in smelling them. Now it could be that I just know they will be the generic same old same whatever notes are in right now. Aquatic, sweet celeb blah.

    Now when it hit home was with L'Occitane Notre Flore range at £53 for 75mls of edp. I liked the Cedre and Labdanum very much, but something in my brain refused to let me pay £53 for a L'Occitane fragrance. Did buy the Donna Karan Labdanum at £27 on sale. Then last month the L'Occitane store had all the Notre Flore at half price, so £26.50 was okay for a L'Occitane according to my brain. L'Occitane make really good bath and body products which I use no problem. But fragrance wise they are not what I would consider spending a higher amount on.
    DONNA

  56. #56

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I am not a fragrance snob just because one gets one's butler to drive the Rolls to Harrods to purchase only the finest of fragrances. lol

  57. #57
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Sure, I am snobbish. The way the mass marked and designer fragrances are constantly reformulated, watered down and cheapened makes me wary to try them. I have found mass marked and designer that I like, but they are usually older/vintage editions from Bill Blass, Balmain, YSL, Nina Ricci, but I stay away from the current ones, unless they get raving reviews from respected blogs. Most of the current designer scents are timid, faceless and interchangeable: one tiny molecule separates this week launches from the dreck launched last week.
    Good for you. I just don't see this as snobbery at all, but as being a critical, informed, and selective consumer - a connaisseur.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  58. #58

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I am not a fragrance snob just because one gets one's butler to drive the Rolls to Harrods to purchase only the finest of fragrances. lol
    Quite, although my butler wouldn't soil his hands driving the car. That is my chauffuer's job

  59. #59
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I don't think that was the main point. It is a fact that in the current market most perfumes are made by institutions not interested in perfume as craft, much less art, but soley as a means to make profit. May as well be pork bellies tomorrow. When a gyrating market puts out hundreds of new perfumes per year, they will by necessity be overwhelmingly generic. When a niche house throws twenty perfumes on the market out of nowhere, they will be standardized formulas minimally tweaked. As you pointed out yourself elsewhere, even highly talented people like Duchaufour just copy themselves with increasingly weak results when they jack up their output as he is doing (and then there's scores of lesser noses copying his style for "niche" houses that can't afford him). Obviously there's always going to only be a handful of geniuses in any field. That doesn't mean new young noses can't produce great work or grow into geniuses. But the constraints of the market are such, that few will ever have the opportunity to deliver exciting work. The preponderance of junk is the reason Turin gave for getting out of perfume reviewing and it's a good one, I believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    This is another kind of snobbery ..the kind where if the perfume isn't by some old legend, it just cant be good. Or if its not by a famous house, it just can't be good because they can't get any materials. What is that supposed to mean anyways? Chanel may have some exclusive fields in Grasse but they aren't exactly blowing away the market with their recent output. Why can't an up and coming perfumer make a good fragrance? Why can't a "decent" perfumer improve over time? This overt reliance on just a handful of recognizable personalities infects a lot of industries.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 1st August 2011 at 01:04 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  60. #60
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are You A Fragrance Snob?

    I'd like to say I'm not a snob-- my wardrobe includes low-, medium- and high-end fragrances.

    However, the fact remains that I feel more hopeful of finding an interesting new perfume when walking into Aedes or Henri Bendel than when I walk into Sephora. And really I have no hope at all any more of finding something I like when I walk into Walgreen's. I'll (sometimes) sniff the celebuscents testers but my expectations are low and are invariably justified.

    If that makes me a snob, so be it....I figure it's just learning from experience.

Similar Threads

  1. Snob?! What kind of snob?
    By Trebor in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 23rd May 2009, 07:01 PM
  2. fragrance counter snob
    By jf799568 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 30th June 2008, 09:56 PM
  3. You know you're a Fragrance Snob when you.......
    By Otto in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 23rd October 2007, 04:37 PM
  4. I think I'm becoming a fragrance snob
    By The_Giraffe in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd May 2006, 03:46 PM
  5. I think I'm becoming a fragrance snob
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •