Code of Conduct

Default musc ravageur edt or oil?

many have extolled the virtues of this frag, but i was wondering what is the better option--the oil or the edt.

Is there really that much difference? Fir example, i have tried both Narcisso Rodriguez edt and musc oil and they were difffernt enough, imo, to own both...or like one and not the other....is it the same case here?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: musc ravageur edt or oil?

Oh they're quite different. Enough so that some very sophisticated Basenoters enjoy one without caring for the other. The oil is far softer and mellower than the EdT. (Or is it an EdP?) The scent seems somehow smoothed over by the almond oil base, and it expresses mostly the middle and base notes of the EdT with none of the sharper top. The oil doesn't project much and doesn't seem to leave much sillage, either. It has been called wimpy compared to the EdT and its lasting power is very limited. On the other hand it is very useful when you want some of the Musc Ravageur experience but don't want to be as conspicuous as the very potent EdT can make you.

If you're only going to get one, I say go for the EdT. It's a fuller experience of the scent - more complex, more nuanced, and more lasting.

I've tried both and surprisingly I enjoy the Oil over the EDT. I suggest trying both to see what you like. I didn't like the topnotes of the EDT (a bit stinky) and it mellows down on my skin to mostly a combination of powdery cinnamon and vanilla. Although the oil is a bit toned down, I find the musk note more pronounced, which I like. I don't think I had any longevity issues with the oil, lasted well on my skin but the sillage was quite low, but that's how I generally like my perfumes.

Good Luck

This thread will also help you out:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=183755
    Last edited by nsamadi; 4th March 2008 at 04:45 AM.

agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Oh they're quite different. Enough so that some very sophisticated Basenoters enjoy one without caring for the other. The oil is far softer and mellower than the EdT. (Or is it an EdP?) The scent seems somehow smoothed over by the almond oil base, and it expresses mostly the middle and base notes of the EdT with none of the sharper top. The oil doesn't project much and doesn't seem to leave much sillage, either. It has been called wimpy compared to the EdT and its lasting power is very limited. On the other hand it is very useful when you want some of the Musc Ravageur experience but don't want to be as conspicuous as the very potent EdT can make you.

If you're only going to get one, I say go for the EdT. It's a fuller experience of the scent - more complex, more nuanced, and more lasting.

I didnt even know an oil (parfume extrait?) existed.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    many have extolled the virtues of this frag, but i was wondering what is the better option--the oil or the edt.
    The EDT IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I didnt even know an oil (parfume extrait?) existed.
    It's not an extrait, but a 'huile tout faire', roughly 'oil for anything'.
    Like a body oil. I believe some people even add a few drops (it comes with an eye-dropper applicator) to the bath.

Musc Ravageur is a masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Musc Ravageur is a masterpiece
    Yes it is. Last week I was looking at my bottle and I chuckled when I realized that Musc Ravageur has the same initials as its creator, Marcel Roucel-- I imagine this was intentional. Very sly...

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    It's not an extrait, but a 'huile tout faire', roughly 'oil for anything'.
    Like a body oil. I believe some people even add a few drops (it comes with an eye-dropper applicator) to the bath.
    Ahh ok thanks.

for swap/sale: