Code of Conduct

Default Creed Vetiver 1948

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    the listed notes are citrus, bergamot, ginger, vetiver, cedar, ambergris. But there's so much more to it than these notes, however I have no idea of what. A lot of times, my nose can get in the ballpark, but i have no idea what makes up the bulk of Vetiver 48. It's cold, grey and has a noticeable ashen ionone note, but that's just a small part of it. This is such a smooth, rounded scent that I honestly cannot detect much of what's going on.

Would anyone care to take a shot at some of the notes that are not listed in the official pyramid?

Default Re: Creed Vetiver 1948

I want to try this so much. Shame it's discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    I want to try this so much. Shame it's discontinued.
    It's still obtainable and I'm sure you could find samples at The Perfumed Court or some such.

Ahh yes, I should have done that with my last order. There's always next time. Assuming they don't run out before then!

Anyone? Notes not in the listed pyramid?

Pulled it out again to smell it. I only smell vetiver, cedar and a little citrus - all posted.

I'm wondering what gives it that mineralic note. It's so unique.

I'm sure it has something to do with the big, ashen, buttery ionone note. I think ionone is listed on the box if I call correctly. I don't see iris listed on the notes-- perhaps it's just a straight dollop of one of the ionones. That along with the ginger and vetiver probably give it that smooth, yet mineralic feel.

Given what I'm hearing about all the Creed discontinuations, I think it probably has a lot to do with IFRA regulations. I wonder if there are overdoses of certain materials in this one, as well as Tabarome.

Still, I really don't get it sometimes. It would seem that they would rather pull some of their classic scents than reformulate them, yet I think some of their "backdated" classics contain anachronistic materials in the first place. It's been a while since I smelled Orange Spice, but I just don't think some of the aromachemicals were available in 1949, or whenever it was supposedly created. Also, and perhaps my nose is just crazy, I could swear that I smell hedione in Bois de Cedrat; I mean, maybe my nose is wrong, but that's what I perceive. Still, I don't really detect iso e super or much in the way of woody amber fixatives in some of the EDTs, so I don't know...

I'm sure it has something to do with the big, ashen, buttery ionone note. I think ionone is listed on the box if I call correctly. I don't see iris listed on the notes-- perhaps it's just a straight dollop of one of the ionones. That along with the ginger and vetiver probably give it that smooth, yet mineralic feel.
    Never noticed a buttery note. I'll have to go back and sniff. Helmut Lang EDC has an amazing buttery note.

Given what I'm hearing about all the Creed discontinuations, I think it probably has a lot to do with IFRA regulations. I wonder if there are overdoses of certain materials in this one, as well as Tabarome.

Still, I really don't get it sometimes. It would seem that they would rather pull some of their classic scents than reformulate them, yet I think some of their "backdated" classics contain anachronistic materials in the first place. It's been a while since I smelled Orange Spice, but I just don't think some of the aromachemicals were available in 1949, or whenever it was supposedly created. Also, and perhaps my nose is just crazy, I could swear that I smell hedione in Bois de Cedrat; I mean, maybe my nose is wrong, but that's what I perceive. Still, I don't really detect iso e super or much in the way of woody amber fixatives in some of the EDTs, so I don't know...
    I don't know Indie...cleary a bunch of us here really like this scent, but don't you think it's biggest problem is that it's just a real slow mover with the average consumer. I like it a lot, but it's very "Mad Men" to me, and while that show has revived certain styles of dress, I don't think many guys make the leap to scents like that. My perception is that if I went to a Creed counter with a 20-40 year old woman and asked what she thought of it, I'd get a disgsusted look from her while she started spraying me with Aventus or OV.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 18th February 2011 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I don't know Indie...cleary a bunch of us here really like this scent, but don't you think it's biggest problem is that it's just a real slow mover with the average consumer. I like it a lot, but it's very "Mad Men" to me, and while that show has revived certain styles of dress, I don't think many guys make the leap to scents like that. My perception is that if I went to a Creed counter with a 20-40 year old woman and asked what she thought of it, I'd get a disgsusted look from her while she started spraying me with Aventus or OV.
    For the sake of argument Stylin, I'll grant you that, maybe. Sure, at the counter people might want powerful drama and flashy scents that are gold, silver, and platinum at the same time instead of just one of those. With Vetiver 1948 though, the beauty is how powerful it is as a connection to how YOU would smell, if you wore it all the time (for the sake of argument again), and the powerful draw it would exercise because of its understated superior grace.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.