Code of Conduct

Default Les Parfums de Rosine - Men & Women

With all the recent hype over rose scents, I don't remember anyone really discussine the Rosine line. I've bought all kinds of roses in the last few months: Rose 31, DC, Black Aoud, and No 88. I'm still looking; I so want to like WT Black Tie but it looks like its too much like watered down BA.

Anyhow, was in Barneys and the SA (in addition to the Serge Lutens; another post) brought my attention to Rosine. I tell you, I thought the Zest de Rose was insanely good; I'm gonna by that for my GF. But since I was already doused with Rousse & Louve, I was unable to try the two masculine offerings: Rose d'Homme and Twill Rose. Based on the reviews, it seems like d'Homme is disliked on all counts.

Any other reviews or comments about this line, either for men or women?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Les Parfums de Rosine - Men & Women

Last year I wrote to my blog about Les Parfums de Rosine. If this link doesn't work, you'll find it in blogs. http://community.basenotes.net/blog.php?b=2
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Excellent Tigrushka, thank you. Are you still a fan of Zest de Rose? I wish there was somehow a male version of this!

TNMA

Post Re: Les Parfums de Rosine - Men & Women

Rose d'Homme is a very good rose scent, it just lacks the oomph that Black Aoud Domenico Caraceni and No. 88 has. It's not masculine at all, it's soft, warm and very well blended. My guess is that you will like it alot, but in the end it's going to be abit underwhelming - after all you already own the best rose fragrances I know of. This is very different from the ones you mentioned, and thus you should look into it. If I had to make some clumsy comparison, I'd say it has certain similarities with Brit and Villoresi's Musk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Excellent Tigrushka, thank you. Are you still a fan of Zest de Rose? I wish there was somehow a male version of this!

TNMA
    Oh yes, it's my favourite of the lighter Rosines. Wore it last summer to a garden party and it was just perfect.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I like Rose d'Homme quite a lot (I have changed my opinion since I wrote my review), it has a subdued leathery quality and a fine medium-heavy volatility rose accord. It is fairly linear with only the lemony citrus dropping off somewhat form the start. The rose is quite dense, not a flighty one. I like it partly because the rose has been deepened and made heavier without weighing it down with a ton of other heavy notes such as patchouli. It is quite satisfying to me and I definitely recommend a thorough test, it took me a few goes to get it properly.

With Twill Rose I had the opposite journey. Its very green leaves, stems and stalks blended with rose of various pitches had immediate appeal but got tired quite quickly, my decant sits as it was a couple of weeks after I acquired it. It is quite casual, bright, smooth green but seems to lack much depth. It is one of those about which I think"...but what is the POINT?"

I haven't smelled any of the "womens" offerings as yet.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 4th March 2008 at 07:47 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I quite like Twill Rose...although I didn't at first. Rosine sells a handy little sample set of each sent on their website. The newest (Diablo I think) is also nice...mint & rose. Can be a bit cloying after a while though.

Un Zeste de Rose is one of my fav's, and I really love La Rose de Rosine, but its a tad on the feminine side for me.

Thanks for the info everyone; it seems Zest is the general favorite. I just bought the sample kit per the above recommendation. I figure, if I don't like them, I can always give them to the GF!

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 5th March 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Agree with Johnny Ludlow, my problem with these fragarnces (Twill Rose included) these are NOT masculine fragrances, That's the problem I see (smell).
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

I just received the complete sample set (which has a gorgeous presentation!) and I am still testing, but for the time being, Poussière de Rose, Rose Kashmirie amd Rose d'Amour captured my attention. Rose d'Amour was the only one that got a full wearing, and it's a very warm and enveloping chypre on my skin. I even enjoyed sniffing Ecume de Rose from the sample. I hope to be more articulate once I have given all of them one - or a second - chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Rose d'Homme is a very good rose scent, it just lacks the oomph that Black Aoud Domenico Caraceni and No. 88 has. It's not masculine at all, it's soft, warm and very well blended. My guess is that you will like it alot, but in the end it's going to be abit underwhelming - after all you already own the best rose fragrances I know of. This is very different from the ones you mentioned, and thus you should look into it. If I had to make some clumsy comparison, I'd say it has certain similarities with Brit and Villoresi's Musk.
    At last! Someone else who felt that Rose d'Homme was underwhelming. Not only does it lack oomph, it also has below average longevity for an EDP (and for the retail price, that's criminal). Even Serge Lutens' Sa Majeste la Rose is miles more satisfying than this.

I once hastily purchased a bottle and lived to regret it (in the good old day, before I wised up) but eventually gave it to a friend who loved it. It was also his first ever niche scent - previously, he had been wearing Fahrenheit and Le Male. It made my mistake seem much more worthwhile, as a result.