Code of Conduct

Exclamation D'Orsay ~ Etiquette Bleue EXCEEDING EXCELLENCE !!!

I think there are very few perfumes that actually achieve excellence, and a tiny few that actually surpass this status.
    Perhaps, Cuir (La collection) Lancome is one. Certainly for me.
    Etiquette Bleue is definitely another. I refer to the older formulations and have not yet tried the 2008 re~release, so cannot comment on it......
    I recently bought a sealed 200ml spray bottle, probably from the seventies or eighties.
    The aura of this classic Etiquette Bleue has "knocked me for six".
    So what makes Etiquette Bleue so very special ? I would say it is the perfect fusion of highest quality petitgrain and orange blossom/neroli. The mix has a yin and yang balance of bitter and sweet. It is really extrodinary and almost smells like myrrh, (although I am sure there is no myrrh in this composition). Hence, this creation contains the most perfect rubber note I have ever smelled.
    In turn, this perfect fusion is perfectly fused with the most delicate and perfect of powders, together with an exquisite, (to my nose) sweet tangerine. The overall effect is sheer intoxication.
    I suppose every perfection does have a dark side to it and I agree with reviewers who complain about the lack of longevity, but citrus oils are extremely volatile and perhaps the addition of heavy fixatives would have spoiled this beauty extraordinaire.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Default Re: D'Orsay ~ Etiquette Bleue EXCEEDING EXCELLENCE !!!

Have the original and it's quite nice.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds wonderful, the D'Orsay line is almost non-existent here in S. Florida stores...I only encounter this line when I'm in NY.

Your 'myrhh-like' comment, from the citrus note, intrigues me. Is the scent sweet, at all?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have the same question as mikeperez23. The very reason I joined basenotes not so long ago was originally to find out more about Etiquette Bleue. I've seen it compared to both traditional ExdC and Guerlain's l'Heure Bleue. Is it quite sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds wonderful, the D'Orsay line is almost non-existent here in S. Florida stores...I only encounter this line when I'm in NY.

Your 'myrhh-like' comment, from the citrus note, intrigues me. Is the scent sweet, at all?
    Hi Mike,
    Yes the scent is sweet, but not overly so. I have just sprayed some on a test strip. The powder/rubber combo kicks in straight away and stays. It is the dominant force in this fragrance and works wonderfully. A clean powdery sweet tangerine, not at all sharp. The petitgrain certainly does not dominate and that differenciates this fragrance from many of the classic eau de colognes, including the Guerlain ones.
    After about 20 minutes it sofens into a body scent. This is the real downside of this fragrance.
    I am also a huge fan of D'Orsay's Aroma 3, (pre~reissue). Aroma 3 does not have this longevity problem and lasts much longer, with more silliage. Aroma 3 also contains a perfect mint note which makes it like fresh mountain air.
    Etiquette Bleue was released in 1908 and I am wondering whether perhaps Guerlain got the inspiration for L'Heure Bleue from this successful release. Etiquette Bleue with its powder note somehow reminds me of a lighter, "toned down" L'Heure Bleue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KJS88 View Post
    I have the same question as mikeperez23. The very reason I joined basenotes not so long ago was originally to find out more about Etiquette Bleue. I've seen it compared to both traditional ExdC and Guerlain's l'Heure Bleue. Is it quite sweet?
    Hi,
    It is quite sweet and at the same time very powdery. I definitely get a L'Heure Bleue connection with this.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Etiquette Bleue came out around 1908 when the likes of Quelques Fleurs, Apres L'Ondee and L'Heure Bleue came out.

Etiquette Bleue is a blend of citrus and musk with herbs. Refined and very much unisex. The company came up with a huge ad campaign on its "romantic" origins, and in the 1940s even published an illustrated book shoring up the myth. Beautiful illustrations by a major fashion illustrator of time time, but, alas, all myth.

More on the marketing and origins of the house:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Mike, there was a boutique in Florida that carried D'Orsay, and I first bought from them. Del Ray Beach? I can't recall, but they had a spa and online boutique. I think it was called the Fourth Sense or something like that. I recall trying to order D'Orsay and the site no longer existed.

The reformulations are not quite as good as the older versions as the oakmoss was removed from many scents. The new EDP of Le Dandy is not like the EDT.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th December 2012 at 08:19 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Etiquette Bleue was not released around the same time as L'Heure Bleue, it was released four years prior, which I find significant.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Etiquette Bleue was not released around the same time as L'Heure Bleue, it was released four years prior, which I find significant.
    Ideas and concepts, not only in fragrance, can evolve independently of one another. The concept of the mounted warrior (knight and samurai) evolved independently on two different continents at the same time in history. I don't think the Europeans copied from the Japanese or vice versa.

I think the taste in fragrance at the beginning of the twentieth century leaned more toward herbal scents, and many fragrance houses had their own spin on this.

L'Heure Bleue was released in its own "historical" hype and created "legend," which I also find significant. They wanted to seem "older" than the houses of Houbigant (1775) and Guerlain (1828).

This is a lot like the notion of "fausse noblesse." The armoirie (coat of arms) on the D'Orsay boxes are not the arms of the Comte d'Orsay.

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.