Code of Conduct

Thread: Sous le Vent

Default Sous le Vent

Received a new bottle of "Sous le Vent" from Guerlain Paris yesterday and all I can say is: WOW!!!
    This rendition of the bitter/green chypre category is truly amazing and one of the best fragrances I´ve smelled so far!
    Along with Mitsouko (dry peach added), Carthusia Numero Uno (rosemary), Xpec Original (fennel and ginger) and Pour Monsieur, Chanel (lemon and verbena) this IS quintessentially chypre!
    Lasting power: good, but not excellent
    Guerlain-Service: Perfect!
    Price tag: 200 € for 125ml Edt, plus 25 € shipping costs.............. veeerrrry expensive!!!
    Last edited by sables; 4th March 2008 at 11:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sous le Vent

I've been waiting for a guy to talk about Sous le Vent here on the mens board - I've heard such good things about it, and for you to mention it in the same class as Numero Uno by Carthusia made me perk up my ears.

The price sounds like this will be something I could never afford, but it would be neat to sample one day.

I heard that in the dry down (after the vanilla and amber middle notes fade) that it's slightly indolic. Would you agree?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I've been waiting for a guy to talk about Sous le Vent here on the mens board - I've heard such good things about it, and for you to mention it in the same class as Numero Uno by Carthusia made me perk up my ears.

The price sounds like this will be something I could never afford, but it would be neat to sample one day.

I heard that in the dry down (after the vanilla and amber middle notes fade) that it's slightly indolic. Would you agree?
    It is a little indolic, but mostly green and chypré. It was developed for Josephine Baker in 1933. There's a brief review in my blog.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    It is a little indolic, but mostly green and chypré.
    I agree. Maybe there´s a little civet in the background, but well balanced and not at all offensive - like a little cat tiptoeing in a lush meadow...

I just tried this and..... OMG. Smells to me a bit like Mitsouko, but softer, more subtle and fresher (due to a citrus and herbal kick). My half-assed description doesn't do it justice at all, but MAN. I love this stuff! Totally unisex and enjoyable for a man.

I haven't had this kind of reaction to a fragrance in a long while. I'm so glad houses like Guerlain are still releasing frags like this.
    Sales thread here

Earth to Mike: I gave you samples of this last year. You were with me when I bought it in Palm Beach Guerlain. You liked it, I remember.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Earth to Mike: I gave you samples of this last year. You were with me when I bought it in Palm Beach Guerlain. You liked it, I remember.
    LOL, yes Rug's - you see my comments above, were from last year too. This thread's been bumped.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

LOL, yes Rug's - you see my comments above, were from last year too. This thread's been bumped.
    In my best Emily Litella voice, "Never mind."

Bumped or no, here's my 2cents. SLV is a very classy, enjoyable green chypre. I like it a lot. I don't find it problematically indolic. It wears well throughout the day.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Which begs the question, why didn't you post your comments?

I'd like to try this one, but I have bad experiences with Guerlain EDTs in the sense that I generally find them very weak and lacking in longevity even for EDTs. How do you guys feel about this one in terms of projection and longevity?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I've been meaning to start a new Sous le Vent thread these past couple of days because of a funny incident that happened to me. I've had a tiny .5ml sample from TPC for over a year now, but have always dismissed SlV because it was simply too green and crisp (not my kinda thing); mind you I was dabbing from the sample. A few days ago, I found my SlV sample on my top dresser with a tiny (.3ml) left, so I thought what the hell, let's just dump this sucker on my hand. So after waiting a few seconds to smell, I did and boy oh boy, I got something totally different from green and citrusy. I got an intensely animalic almost indolic floral in the manner of AG's Heure Exquise and Voilette de Madame, only with a very refined civet note, not as fecal as Jicky. I now kick myself for not buying a bottle of SlV when I was in Paris, or even giving it the chance of a liberal application. SlV now goes to the the TOP of my MUST-buy list!
    I wonder if any of you got the animalic feel to SlV?
    EDIT: and for an EDT, it sure lasted long and projected exemplary sillage.
    Last edited by scent; 7th November 2009 at 07:53 AM.

Only complaint about this evoking scent (it was also Jean-Paul Guerlain's childhood fetish, he described how it haunted him with reveries of ships and exotic islands): This IFRA compliant version leans more to the fougère side than was intended - it's very prominent of lavender and not enough oakmoss and green resins to give it the famous bitter scent of Cyprus But still a wonderful scent. I would agree with Merlino and say that - although I generally don't have any problems with the Guerlain EdT's longevity - this one should only have been released as extrait (but then again, I'm sure it was not possible with the ingredient restrictions).

Sur la Plage

IMO, the smell is truly fantastic - but the longevity is horrible.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Angry Re: Sous le Vent

If Guerlain would start manufacturing juice in the United States they would benefit by paying less French tax, no interference from IFRA and we would benefit from better alcohol used in the process. Move the Eiffel tower over here and get to to the business of perfumerie. Send the unleaded version to France to make IFRA happy. IFRA regulation just burns me up.Sous le Vent should be what it should be, not some synthetic close approximation, just as should be all the classics. Wow there goes my blood pressure. Sorry I just get emotional about this IFRA thing.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 7th November 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Which begs the question, why didn't you post your comments?

Good point: It's extremely hard for me to 'review' a Guerlain - it takes me several wearings and lots of concentration. I love, love, love Sous Le Vent. Explaining it, in a review, is a different story. I hope to get more juice (my samples are all gone) and write up a proper review.

IMO, the closest scent to it is Philtre d' Amour, another favorite of mine. Problem is, it's just as expensive as SLV.

True story: When Ruggles met Ray and I in Provincetown, one day we were walking around Commercial Street visiting some shops, art galleries, etc. I was following Ruggles in the wind and he smelled fantastic. I thought he was wearing Sous Le Vent, since I knew that he owned some. He told me he was wearing Eau de Rochas (the feminine). It surprised me, because I could clearly smell the 'green chypre' accord in the air and it did smell kind of Guerlinade-ish. Which of course, made me want to try Eau de Rochas.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th November 2009 at 02:58 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Sous les Vent is fantastic. One of my Holy Grail scents. A real thing of beauty. I didn't think of the IRFA thing, though. I wonder if the (more expensive) bottles now at Neiman's are full-strength from Paris or wood alcohol import versions.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Send the unleaded version to France to make IFRA happy. IFRA regulation just burns me up.
    The IFRA is a conspiracy by the fragrance industry itself, not by the European Union or anything. So packing up shop and moving to The States will do us bugger all good...

Good point: It's extremely hard for me to 'review' a Guerlain - it takes me several wearings and lots of concentration. I love, love, love Sous Le Vent. Explaining it, in a review, is a different story. I hope to get more juice (my samples are all gone) and write up a proper review.
    I perfectly get what you mean, the old Guerlains are really the best at evoking images and also emotions, imho. I've been having trouble putting into words how I feel about them, too!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Tried this today. I didn't like the initial blast. It's old fashion for sure. Makes me want to watch a black and white film on a projector. When it dried down, that's when I began to like it. Sweet light chypre. Reminds me of Cologne pour Le Soir, same feel and vibe but with citrus notes.

It does remind me of Mitsouko or Jicky. I'm guessing it's a house note. Overall, I like it and it makes me want to explore the Guerlain line more.

I did 9 sprays with a sample atomizer. It seems like a 4-6 hour scent.

4/5
    Last edited by nsamadi; 9th November 2010 at 07:54 AM.

If you enjoy SLV, you must also try Derby, the men's take on SLV.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I like both SLV and Derby. Each smell appropriate for men and women.

I have been circling a bottle of this over the last few weeks - tried it a couple of times at the Guerlain counter. It is beautiful.

To me it fits inside an axis that contains Philtre d'Amour, Eau de Guerlain & Derby . . . a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I have been circling a bottle of this over the last few weeks - tried it a couple of times at the Guerlain counter. It is beautiful.

To me it fits inside an axis that contains Philtre d'Amour, Eau de Guerlain & Derby . . . a classic.
    If you like Philtre d'Amour, buy it soon, because it will be discontinued shortly

I didn't know that, thanks - I did buy a bottle of Philtre d'Amour several months ago because there was only one here, so I guess I got lucky

I didn't know that, thanks - I did buy a bottle of Philtre d'Amour several months ago because there was only one here, so I guess I got lucky
    Very lucky i think. Philtre d'Amour and Sous Le Vent are delicious, and I also see the connection between them as you pointed above. Sous Le Vent seems to go more on the chypre direction i think, and there is something on it, maybe the carnation accord, which also reminds me off the limited edition called Terracotta.

I love it , its great isnt it , and Im still kicking myself for not buying Mimi's bottle earlier this year . Its the polar opposite of most of my wardrobe but I find it completely compelling . OK so the longevity of it is just shocking but its a lovely journey while it lasts

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Tried this today. I didn't like the initial blast. It's old fashion for sure. Makes me want to watch a black and white film on a projector. When it dried down, that's when I began to like it. Sweet light chypre. Reminds me of Cologne pour Le Soir, same feel and vibe but with citrus notes.

It does remind me of Mitsouko or Jicky. I'm guessing it's a house note. Overall, I like it and it makes me want to explore the Guerlain line more.
    Well SLV is, in itself, a classic chypre fragrance. Of course, to many people this smells 'old'. But once I have explored the chypre category, the leathers...the fruity...the oriental chypres...the floral/aldehydic ones...you start to realize that the chypre accord is very instantly recognizable and is a platform upon which so many different shades and textures can be built on.

I do love Mitsouko, but Sous le Vent is so darn happy and bright...it makes me smile when I put it on. It has a soft breeziness to it, that the Mitsouko and Derby don't have. Of course, many people find this particular brightness sort of 'feminine' and although I no longer think in these sort of terms I see what people mean. But still, I wear SLV to my office all of the time, and I've never had anyone remark that I smell feminine.

It is one of the Guerlain scents that I get the most excited about.

I agree with the comparison to Philtre d'Amour and Eau de Guerlain (although PdA is technically not a chypre) but I do not smell the similarity to Derby.

Basenotes Member

OK, here goes my two cents: I tried SLV for the first time this past weekend, and it has moved right up the list to a must buy. I have read some talk about the lack of longevity -- that is not my experience. It lasted quite well on my skin, and the sillage was also good. I did not find it to be indolic at all. It was bright, green, spicy, at times powdery, but not indolic. I love the scent. It is the feminine derby if you will and I love it. $310 will make it a bit pricy. Ah well, either pack my coffin with the money left or douse by corpse with SLV, Derby, Sycomore......he died smelling great.

Sous le Vent has pretty much become my default setting over this last year or so - 'most worn' for Spring & Summer. It offers the kick up front I like from a quality Eau wich is then given substance with a Chypre like form welling up from underneath. I can only assume this is what Chanel Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage and some of the other more citrus inclined masculine classics offered once upon a time before they were hobbled? It works comfortably for a day or so in the warmer weather - I'm very, very happy with it. I haven't bought much else this year, just a back-up or two because my experience is that when I find something I really like it tends to disappear . . . feel perfectly free to laugh all you like

The other one that does a similar job (but differently) that I recommend to anyone who likes the 'feel' of SLV is L'Heure Fougueuse from Cartier. Also breezy (pun not intended but inevitable) and outdoorsy and great in the heat, but instead of citrus and herbal / moss this one plays with a hay-like Maté note. I did a mini-review in the Missing Fragrances section and Grain de Musc & Bois de Jasmin both talk about it.

My wife likes this one a lot and wears it from time to time.

Basenotes Institution

I agree mr. reasonable - a great fragrance! Just last night, while I was moving my 'summer' fragrances to storage and pulling out my 'fall/winter' fragrances, I opened up my brand new box/bottle of Sous le Vent just to stare at it and see how beautiful it is, with that art deco bottle and the gold wrapped cord around the neck in that shimmery gold Guerlain box. Stunning. I keep putting off opening it up because its such a beautiful presentation. But of course once my decant runs out I will open it. I hope to always have this in my wardrobe.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I was quite taken with my sample of Sous le Vent this week......
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Basenotes Member

The more I get familiar with it, the better I love it. I love the presentation also.....and now want to get it in the 500 ml bee bottle

This is one of the best kept secrets in the perfume world... count me in as another great fan. I have fallen in love with it in the past weeks. I agree fully with JaimeB's and drseid's reviews. drseid speaks about an almost limelike accord in the opening that I definitely see as well. It must be the citrus (bergamot), herbs (mainly tarragon I am rather sure) with the green notes joining in.
    The drydown lingers on for a long time, very quietly and refined with a distinctive chypré accord (I can smell the oakmoss here faintly before Sous le Vent finally fades out). There is a slightly animalic and naughty facet hidden in the base structure that I assume will bloom better in summer. In summary I'd say it is a slightly powdery and animalic aromatic chypré with a hint of the new Vol de Nuit extrait's green note and a woody touch of Roja Dove's chypré Diaghilev.
    It is not discontinued 'for the moment' as the official Guerlain wording is...
    Last edited by Larimar; 28th January 2012 at 06:27 PM.

One of my favorite fragrances. It reminds me of a combination of Jicky and Eau de Guerlain. I also smell very close similarities to Derby in the drydown. Very uplifting fragrance that works well all year round.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Sous le Vent was my signature scent for about ten years. Still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Sous le Vent was my signature scent for about ten years. Still love it.
    Was it readily available before 2006, Luis? I thought it had been discontinued quite some time ago before the revival.

Basenotes Institution

I mentioned on another thread that one time I wore this scent out, to a nightclub, and some guy actually told me I smelled great & asked me what I was wearing. I told him the name - he'd never heard of it (of course). I asked him what he liked about it and his response was 'It smells like powder, but really really nice powder'.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th November 2012 at 01:24 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am so tempted to purchase. . .

Is there any news of SLV being discontinued? this is a wonderful unisex.

(know that the new Derby in the wooden bottle is altogether a different beast from the older Derby in the bee bottle, which I love.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think I have mentioned it in another thread, but Sous le Vent is not produced aymore. This is according to an internal source.