Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Smile Introduction and Assistance with Men's Fragrance

Good day everyone. I'm happy to have found this community. Especially before my entire bank account went into fragrances. The last time I was serious about cologne was with Jil Sander's Feeling Man. A scent that I really liked and performed well with my chemistry.

In the past several months, I've redeveloped an interest in men's cologne and would appreciate any guidance or advice on finding a scent I might like. Preferably available in samples or decants so that I can try it.

Ideally, I'm looking for something light, not overwhelming, with pepper/spice and citrus. It doesn't need to last long. Actually, a 6-8 hour life would be perfect.

I do not like most newer colognes/EdTs. The newer formulations tend to give me a headache, in even very small doses (including Tom Ford and Hermessence). I've tried the following with OK but underwhelming results:

Castle Forbes Gentlemen's Cologne is currently in the "trying it out" stage and I'm enjoying its complexity.

Penhaligon's Castile has come the closest to a a scent I would like. The sample I have, however, developed a noticeable note of gasoline in the dry down. Perhaps (I'd like to think) the sample was maybe not quite up to snuff.

Other Penhaligon's have just dried down to a scent of sweet powder (Blenheim, English Fern, Hammam, and Endymion).

Truefitt & Hill's West Indies Limes EdT has been nice, but dries down to more of a scent of dry tobacco, which I don't really care for.

Floris Cefiro has been acceptable, but a tad on the sweet side.

Floris JF is nice, but a little too on the "English Leather" side of the scale, to my nose.

Gendarme was initially nice, but much too strong and lasted at least 24 hours.

Guerlain Vetiver sounded promising, but the feedback I've heard about the new formulation leaves me wary of trying it.

If you've read this far, thank you! I'm on a quest for my perfect scent (as it appears many of us are) and would appreciate any guidance or suggestions you could provide for a well-crafted scent.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions you might have.

Brent

Default Re: Introduction and Assistance with Men's Fragrance

Welcome Brent!

Great you could join us here... we hope you will continue to join the discussions and enjoy the journey with us all.

A few suggestions that immediately come to mind were:

Cacharel Pour Homme - a scent currently being discussed on the Mens Discussion board. Shimmering citruses, very light florals, and a generous hit of spice (clove/nutmeg). Its not an overwhelming scent by any stretch, but is a winner!

Opium Pour Homme by YSL - A burst of fresh herbaceous accords with a warm, spicy underbelly. A fragrant woody/oriental for men that works for both day and night.
    I might also add (because I see you have enjoyed some Penhaligon's scents previously), that Opium PH resembles the now discontinued "Love Potion No.9 for Men" by Penhaligons.

Im sure you will receive many suggestions here. Enjoy!

Dimitri
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th March 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Thierry Mugler Cologne is a nice lime and musk, it's very upbeat, crisp and bright. It stays fairly close to you but is warm and inviting to those who get close enough to you to pick it up. Really nice stuff!

Blog Entries

Thank you, Dimitri and thaifighter.

The Cacharel sounds promising. There may be a sample of it in the sample collection I received. The YSL Opium, possibly.

I've sampled the Thierry Mugler. Unfortunately, all I got from it was the musk (another scent I'm not too fond of).

Sadly, musk and patchouli pretty much were ruined for me by the scents of the 70s and 80s.

I've been looking through the Male Fragrance Forum and that's been informative. But it does make one long for the ancient days of only three or five scents to choose from.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

hi hoos! i think i've got one you're really going to enjoy...

Eucris, by Geo F Trumper

it's a fantastic, old-school green scent with a wonderfull touch of blackcurrants in the opening. if anything could be called a classic, this is it. i'm hopeless at describing scents, but chase it down and try it for yourself!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Welcome to basenotes.
    I have no idea whether this is (still) available in the US, but it might just be what you're looking for. A sleeper I personally like it alot: Charro

Another one you should check out, though you may find it too excessive, is Villoresi's Piper Nigrum
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I've been recommending this a lot lately, but I think it fits your desires of spice + citrus. It's got good longevity, 6-8 hours or more, but stays fairly close to the skin and doesn't overwhelm or assault your nostrils with a huge synthetic fanfare like so many frags do these days. I'm talking about Antidote by V&R. It's got a nice citrus with a hint of spice opening, into a spicy/floral heart with a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon and supple suede, and that carries over into the base that is warmed up by vanilla and other woods. A very very light oriental that I think will fare better in summer than winter. It can get a bit sweet, although I've never found it cloying.

Terre D'Hermes is worth considering. I'm not a big fan myself, but it definitely has pepper and spice (and grapefruit, cedar and vetiver). The longevity can be unreal though, a full day or more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Thank you, all, for the warm welcome and great suggestions.

Looks like I am off on a sample/tester hunt now.

Thanks for the head's up on Terre D'Hermes, too. It was on my list to try, but I really don't like fragrances that hang around for more than 8 (or 12 at the absolute most) hours. It should "wear off" eventually. It's one reason I won't be using Gendarme - a scent which I like in the short term, but which needs to be much more moderate. In my newbie opinion.

Today, I'm wearing CaliforniaNorth Oxygen. That's been intriguing and nice. Very strong, so it definitely needs to either "wear out" or provide a nice, mellow transformation to its sharp start.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."