Code of Conduct

Default Wearing too much perfume a sign of depression?

Someone mentioned this to me today at work so I decided to google it. No I don't think he was implying that I wear too much cologne. I'm a psychiatrist and at lunch this guy mentioned that he heard it on the radio today and thought it was interesting. Don't worry this isn't referring to people who own too many perfumes, just the ones who spray too much on because they can't smell it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0103124645.htm
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: Wearing too much perfume a sign of depression?

Well, nothing a bit of Retail Therapy for perfumes can't solve, then you'll have nice new perfumes, and you won't be depressed, so you won't over spray! Perfect - Only if.
    To be fair, I just think it's people looking too much into things just because they have the time Maybe depressed people do overspray, simply because they find the scent more comforting in large quantities? I know a couple of people that are nowhere near depressed, and they overspray, leaving sillage bombs of lynx !

Basenotes Plus

Just like wearing too much makeup, excesses in personal appearance and/or habits may indeed be a sign of mental imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Just like wearing too much makeup, excesses in personal appearance and/or habits may indeed be a sign of mental imbalance.

True. In this case they are saying that people with depression might also have problems with their sense of smell, leading them to spray more. I have seen some bipolar patients wearing crazy amounts of makeup.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

I know that when I am depressed my sense of smell and taste are, shall we say, depressed as well. However when I am depressed the last thing that I want to do is put on cologne.
    Last edited by bbobkc; 4th March 2008 at 11:39 PM.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

It could be a compensation mechanism. Overspraying could balance a lack in confidence, self-esteem, or whatever the clinical problem is. Perhaps the disruptive flow of neurotransmitters between the synaptic cleft of axons and dendrites caused such an imbalnce that the person turned to fragrance for relief. However, just because one oversprays, doesn't mean they are mentally unstable. Just ask any basenoter here! Seriously though, the firing of nerons doesn't seem related to the chemical receptors in the olfactory bulb but perhaps if the person was on medication, the way the brain interprets the information from the olfactory bulb could be distorted. How? I don't know. It would seem this is not the case. I have never read anything on the matter so I cannot say either way for certain. Good thread!

It would make sense that it would be caused by some sort of diminished sense of smell. What really makes me think this as well is because they also mentioned the loss of weight and it is well known hunger is largely caused by smell as well. If your sense of smell isn't working well you wont get as many cravings for food so the loss of smell is plausible.

Yes and I need a hug!

makes sense if u really think about it... maybe they bathe in it to be noticed by people because they dont have anyone or something

I wear anything between 2-8 sprays of fragrance, depending on what I'm wearing. 2 being DC1913, which might as well be 15-20 sprays of anything else, and between 7-8 sprays of other stuff that I thoroughly enjoy.

I think wearing excessive amounts of fragrance is very different from wearing excessive amounts of makeup. Makeup is a "mask", if you will; to hide our imperfections. We can of course see the presence of copious amounts of cover-up, and we may wonder what the deal is, but as long as the user is hiding what they really want to hide, they're okay with any and all assumptions that, inherently, are attached with the mentality of those who look and judge.

Fragrance, on the other hand, is a statement. It is not something to hide behind, so others will not see your weaknesses; rather, (for me at least) it is nonverbal expression, which frolics with the senses that words and looks cannot manipulate. Being an agent of attractiveness is a byproduct of the the scent in itself; I do not wear cologne to attract others, I attract others because the cologne that I wear smells good, and I like how it smells.

Therefore, I think the plethora of reason that one may justify his or her "excessive" use of fragrance with is dependent on the mentality of the user -- if they so choose to wear fragrance as a crutch for their depression, then that is exclusive to them and them alone. I for one do not consider myself depressed; I'm okay with not wearing fragrance, but I'd really rather not, because of the benefits that come with it.

To say that, leaves a counter-argument open to that of dependency on something as a root of happiness; however, therein lies a quandary for those with such a mindset: how is the appreciation of fragrance for its benefits to a person considered a crutch? If it is indeed an addiction and an alternate mean of coping with the problems our unconscious psyche does not want to deal with, then we can say that most things that we derive happiness from are on the same level.

Think of one thing you like to do in your life, because you find it joyful, and you would really rather not do without it. Not that you couldn't; and not that you are scared to let it go, but just something you thoroughly appreciate in your life, and see if it can be judged as an addiction, whose sole purpose is to serve an addiction that dodges a subconscious truth about yourself.

I'm reading this article differently. The study seems to be saying that people are unknowingly spraying too much perfume because they can't smell it. Yes there are also a ton of other reason people depresses or not could wear too much perfume. I think the headline of the article is misleading. People who are wearing too much perfume should not be looked at as depressed or trying to compensate for something. Rather I think there should be more focus on depressed people having other receptors in the body that are not working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    "Sillage is better than Prozac"

Anyone want to spring for T-Shirts? One with a logo of your favorite perfume company on the back?
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I'm reading this article differently. The study seems to be saying that people are unknowingly spraying too much perfume because they can't smell it. Yes there are also a ton of other reason people depresses or not could wear too much perfume. I think the headline of the article is misleading. People who are wearing too much perfume should not be looked at as depressed or trying to compensate for something. Rather I think there should be more focus on depressed people having other receptors in the body that are not working properly.
    That's what I take from the article as well and it is pretty interesting that depression can have this effect on the senses.

Good point and is perfectly logical. Instead of heightening the senses perhaps a depressive state can cause synaptic pruning? If one is depressed, they may be more inactive and use less of their senses and this may lead to synaptic alteration or even pruning? Just an idea???

In this case they are saying that people with depression might also have problems with their sense of smell, leading them to spray more.
    Zinc deficiency, perhaps?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=13159
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Post Re: Wearing too much perfume a sign of depression?

I'm sorry, I can't finish this post right now, I have to call my Analyst!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I don't know but if you compare spraying 10 times and 20 times. Once the receptors in your brain reach the saturation point, anything beyond that will be a waste. For example, if you know that at fifth spray and sixth spray you can't detect anymore changes in intensity, it means that the receptors in your brain has reached saturation point. So if you insist on spraying 10 times, you will just waste those perfumes. It will be better if you spray it when your receptors are no longer able to pick up any notes or scents from the fragrance.

As for depression, when someone is depressed, they tend to do something extreme. Some people may eat a lot, think a lot, be in bad mood for some time, and in this case spray lots of fragrances.

I'm not afraid to announce nor am I seeking attention when I say that I get depressed. We all do at different levels. I'm not going any further than that.

Wearing too much perfume is not one of my symptoms I experience when I feel 'down'. I only spray the recommended dosage: 2-3 sprays, 1 spray each to the wrists and chest and maybe one more on the back of the neck if the perfume is light.

I don't lose my sense of smell at all.

In all seriousness, when I am under acute stress I can say that I do perceive things a little differently than when not stressed. I suppose if you are under some sort of chronic stress or depression, one might start to feel a bit "numb."

I have heard that under depression people can feel "numb" and do things to "feel something" so doing 10 sprays of a perfume may be an attempt to do that. I dunno.

And, of course, everyone has their method of coping with this sort of thing if they cannot perceive a way of stopping the causes - and indeed if there are no external causes.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I've read this in the local newspaper.

I remember it was specifically talking about depressed women.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    I wear anything between 2-8 sprays of fragrance, depending on what I'm wearing. 2 being DC1913, which might as well be 15-20 sprays of anything else, and between 7-8 sprays of other stuff that I thoroughly enjoy.

I think wearing excessive amounts of fragrance is very different from wearing excessive amounts of makeup. Makeup is a "mask", if you will; to hide our imperfections. We can of course see the presence of copious amounts of cover-up, and we may wonder what the deal is, but as long as the user is hiding what they really want to hide, they're okay with any and all assumptions that, inherently, are attached with the mentality of those who look and judge.

Fragrance, on the other hand, is a statement. It is not something to hide behind, so others will not see your weaknesses; rather, (for me at least) it is nonverbal expression, which frolics with the senses that words and looks cannot manipulate. Being an agent of attractiveness is a byproduct of the the scent in itself; I do not wear cologne to attract others, I attract others because the cologne that I wear smells good, and I like how it smells.

Therefore, I think the plethora of reason that one may justify his or her "excessive" use of fragrance with is dependent on the mentality of the user -- if they so choose to wear fragrance as a crutch for their depression, then that is exclusive to them and them alone. I for one do not consider myself depressed; I'm okay with not wearing fragrance, but I'd really rather not, because of the benefits that come with it.

To say that, leaves a counter-argument open to that of dependency on something as a root of happiness; however, therein lies a quandary for those with such a mindset: how is the appreciation of fragrance for its benefits to a person considered a crutch? If it is indeed an addiction and an alternate mean of coping with the problems our unconscious psyche does not want to deal with, then we can say that most things that we derive happiness from are on the same level.

Think of one thing you like to do in your life, because you find it joyful, and you would really rather not do without it. Not that you couldn't; and not that you are scared to let it go, but just something you thoroughly appreciate in your life, and see if it can be judged as an addiction, whose sole purpose is to serve an addiction that dodges a subconscious truth about yourself.
    leifer....15-20 srpays... you really are depressed hey common y'all, we all have our indulgences, i usualyl over spray when im going for a party or some place nice or when im going to work, its "uplifts" your soul more than anything else....hell-aerobic might help some people feel good, or listenign to music in a loud volume cud make one feel good....doesnt mean everyones depressed.....i also belive in the basic fundamental that anythign is excess is not good - only from the perspective that these are chemicals and could affect one's skin in the long run....not at all from the depression perspective.....sure everybody has their rough days and find solace in spending money, but over spritzing?..i dont mind
    Last edited by jenson; 5th March 2008 at 03:27 PM.

I think i need an Analyst.....10 minutes before arriving everybody knows i am coming....

Dependent

Some fragrances such as citruses and mints are mood lifters. Vetivers are known for calming qualities that would be helpful in an anxious depression. Surely a lot of depressives try to self medicate.

Wearing too much of a good thing in a social setting doesn't seem right because I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself. Clinically depressed states don't seem like the place to wear any more or less of a fragrance since little to no enjoyment is perceived by the depressed person.

btw: this was printed everywhere ( I read it in Scientific American). Since then articles are popping up like mushrooms that anti-depressants actually don't work. Back pain a study by Kaiser Permanente is not helped by pain killers. America. 2008 and we're getting disinformation leaked constantly to the press. Is disinformation propagated by insurance companies which thought that corporatizing medicine would be insanely profitable and are finding the exact opposite?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 5th March 2008 at 04:44 PM.

It's quite logical: with a very strong smell a depressed person sends a message to others: "Hey, people, notice me!!! I exist, too!!!".
    I mean, think: why the people with some other psychological disturbances (as paranoics or schizophrenics) don't have that kind of problems!?
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Dependent

there are cultural distinctions as well. Aoud used in the Middle East and among Muslims is applied liberally and is one of the strongest fragrances. Maybe this is akin to a Bentley in Miami or any other status symbol. Where the wearer is trying to show how much disposable cash they have. The fragrance/depression tie in is a bit thin in reasoning. Any doctors here ever notice this? As Aszmells said, I have witnessed quite a few bipolars directing traffic in New York City, wearing a ton of make-up and screaming at the top of their lungs.

there by the grace of God....

Usually if I am feeling really badly, I tend to go rather unkept - for me this is an old T shirt, worn out jeans, no shaving, and only minimal grooming (shower). And if I wear any scents, they are comfort scents (for me this is Lancome Hypnose for men, since I find the Lavender to be soothing).

As far as "self medicating" - for me this is cardio exercise. 20 minutes on a rowing machine and I get a small shot of endorphins that lasts several hours.
    ===

Are heavier scents more depressing?
    -

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Are heavier scents more depressing?
    I can't think of any. Foul odors are not depressing per se. I think I had a group session where we talked about a sewer worker having a really bad day and it got a lot of laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    btw: this was printed everywhere ( I read it in Scientific American). Since then articles are popping up like mushrooms that anti-depressants actually don't work. Back pain a study by Kaiser Permanente is not helped by pain killers. America. 2008 and we're getting disinformation leaked constantly to the press. Is disinformation propagated by insurance companies which thought that corporatizing medicine would be insanely profitable and are finding the exact opposite?
    Headlines and news articles a lot of times are generalized and misleading. I read the one about antidepressants don't work. If you read the article critically it isn't the case antidepressants don't work or help out at all. They may just not work as well as we would like them to or for all types of depression. The same goes with this perfume article. Overspraying perfume doesn't mean you are depressed but the average person might think that just by reading the headline.

Dependent

Headlines and news articles a lot of times are generalized and misleading. I read the one about antidepressants don't work. If you read the article critically it isn't the case antidepressants don't work or help out at all. They may just not work as well as we would like them to or for all types of depression. The same goes with this perfume article. Overspraying perfume doesn't mean you are depressed but the average person might think that just by reading the headline.
    I absolutely agree with you. The presentation though leaves a lot to be desired. Huge corporations are running things in the US. For now. When casually dining a family may bring up a lot of these things. I was taken in by the big pharma attack on universal heath care. Bob and Betty and the phone book sized listings of where you could or couldn't go.

lol I need a nap

it's bigger than me. The best advice I can give is don't get sick in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    leifer....15-20 srpays... you really are depressed

I'm saying that 2 sprays of DC1913, due to it's unbelievable potency, is equivalent to 15-20 sprays of most other colognes. The stuff is powerful, and projects like no other. I don't wear more than 3 sprays of DC1913 under any circumstance.... half a spray is enough to get noticed, and one full spray is almost too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    I'm saying that 2 sprays of DC1913, due to it's unbelievable potency, is equivalent to 15-20 sprays of most other colognes. The stuff is powerful, and projects like no other. I don't wear more than 3 sprays of DC1913 under any circumstance.... half a spray is enough to get noticed, and one full spray is almost too much!
    hey buddy, i didnt mean to offend...the topic suggested i was depressed...

Perhaps dousing one could be a subconcious way of driving people off too...

It'd be a rare person indeed who hasn't at some point been struck by the miasma created by someone wearing too much ...

Over applying might be a way of creating a bubble so no one approaches.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Well, now...

First of all, the study was conducted by people researching arthritis, rheumatism, and other autoimmune conditions.

Second, the study was concerned only with women.

Third, the overspraying was attributed to a deficit in the sharpness of the sense of smell, i. e., some degree of anosmia, presumably brought on by depression.

So... before I lend too much credence to the assertion in the headline (which seems to be that overspraying scent is a result of depression per se), I would like to know...

First, how does this apply (if at all) to men?

Second, how do the arthritis experts know that the anosmia is related to depression? Presumably, there is some link to immune suppression, but I don't understand what it is, so it's hard for me to evaluate.

Third, it doesn't seem that the overspraying results directly from any functional emotional or psychological problem, but seems to be due to a (presumed) physiological effect of depression.

Once you read the whole thing, I would conclude from the article that women don't have to be emotionally unbalanced to overspray scent; they just have to be less sensitive to aromas.

Finally, I would add that it's perfectly natural for people to be depressed from time to time. There are negative experiences in life that lead to various degrees and durations of depression in normal individuals. Depression lasts as long as the person is unable to find a way to resolve the bad feelings (anger, loss of self-esteem, a sense of reduced options in life) from the negative experience. Normal individuals eventually look for support and solutions for depression, and sooner or later, they usually resolve those feelings.

Whether or not clinical or chronic depression is due, at least in part, to physiological causes has long been a matter of debate among professionals. It seems to me that the best evidence for it is that certain medications that operate on serotonin levels in the brain provide symptomatic relief to depressive patients. Even so, I haven't heard that there is any conclusive evidence on specific physiological mechanisms leading to depression.

In any case, it is a very different matter to say that depression produces physiological effects (e. g., anosmia) than to say that physiological factors are responsible for some types of depression.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

MMMmmmm so if I like wine and keep wine in my cellar and have a few glass a day ......... what does this make me ???

Over spraying is most of the time due to overspraying itself - the nose loose some of it sensitivity when used too much

A sign of depression hummmm why going so far for something so simple !!!!
    Last edited by laurent; 5th March 2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Invisible Power

I think it's an interesting finding. Maybe losing your interest in the things that usually bring you joy is an effect of losing your ability to fully perceive those things, at least to the level you used to be able to. Maybe whatever chemical issue it is that causes the depressed state also causes people to lose the acuity of their senses. Makes me wonder - do depressed people also use extra amounts of salt and pepper and other spices on their foods. Do they have trouble tasting subtle nuances? Do they also listen to music more loudly, or perhaps have difficulty differentiating between tones that they could usually have differentiated? That is...is this contained to smell?

I'm also happy to see the immune system mentioned as a central player in depression. I've always thought that depression and immunity were linked. I know he's a controversial figure, but Varela always talked about the immune system as key to a lot of things. When you think about it, it's basically what defines "us" versus "not-us." It is, in some basic biological sense, our identity. It might also make sense then, that some serious imbalance in that system could lead to suicidality - if one's body is attacking itself at a cellular level, could this cause some chain of events that cause the individual to attack him/herself. A little too wild maybe? Still, happy to see the immune system mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    MMMmmmm so if I like wine and keep wine in my cellar and have a few glass a day ......... what does this make me ???

Over spraying is most of the time due to overspraying itself - the nose loose some of it sensitivity when used too much

A sign of depression hummmm why going so far for something so simple !!!!
    I think you're getting this totally backwards. It's not that overspraying is a sure-fire sign of depression (or even a reliable sign). That's not what they are saying. Rather it is that depressed people - people already identified as being depressed - have been found to have lost their senses of smell, leading to such behavior as wearing too much perfume (because they can't tell they have any on, and probably assume it is weak or has worn off). This is not the same (at all) as saying that those who overspray are depressed. As my grandfather would say: your conclusion puts the cart before the horse.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Well, now...

First of all, the study was conducted by people researching arthritis, rheumatism, and other autoimmune conditions.

Third, the overspraying was attributed to a deficit in the sharpness of the sense of smell, i. e., some degree of anosmia, presumably brought on by depression.

So... before I lend too much credence to the assertion in the headline (which seems to be that overspraying scent is a result of depression per se), I would like to know...

Second, how do the arthritis experts know that the anosmia is related to depression? Presumably, there is some link to immune suppression, but I don't understand what it is, so it's hard for me to evaluate.

Third, it doesn't seem that the overspraying results directly from any functional emotional or psychological problem, but seems to be due to a (presumed) physiological effect of depression.

Once you read the whole thing, I would conclude from the article that women don't have to be emotionally unbalanced to overspray scent; they just have to be less sensitive to aromas.

Finally, I would add that it's perfectly natural for people to be depressed from time to time. There are negative experiences in life that lead to various degrees and durations of depression in normal individuals. Depression lasts as long as the person is unable to find a way to resolve the bad feelings (anger, loss of self-esteem, a sense of reduced options in life) from the negative experience. Normal individuals eventually look for support and solutions for depression, and sooner or later, they usually resolve those feelings.

Whether or not clinical or chronic depression is due, at least in part, to physiological causes has long been a matter of debate among professionals. It seems to me that the best evidence for it is that certain medications that operate on serotonin levels in the brain provide symptomatic relief to depressive patients. Even so, I haven't heard that there is any conclusive evidence on specific physiological mechanisms leading to depression.

In any case, it is a very different matter to say that depression produces physiological effects (e. g., anosmia) than to say that physiological factors are responsible for some types of depression.
    Good points, good additions to the discussion. I would just add that your final comment would depend, to my mind anyway, how it is that you define "depression." Personally, I don't buy the current medical position that any and all sadness must be some sort of "depression." I think the recent study on SRIs that found they don't work any better than placebos for "mild" depression supports my personal (and non-medical) belief that most of what is diagnosed as depression - and for reasons too complicated to get into here, usually treated with medication - is nothing more than natural sadness, a normal part of life and living, a grieving response to a perceived loss that we here in the US are trying to sanitize from our overly sanitized little worlds (this is not a political rant, but rather just that I can only speak for us here in the US). I'm not sure I personally buy into the notion that real, true, chemical-clinical depression can be "caused" by external factors.

The truth of it all is probably very much like the nature-nurture debate, where there is no direct causality but a difficult-to-disentangle and evolving co-causality.

Good discussion though! Thanks for posting the link and thanks for the comments.
    Last edited by robyogi; 6th March 2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Well, now...

excellent note Jaime. nice read...