Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan

I'm excited to report that, during this month when we're celebrating women, a photo has been found of Helen Keller and her teacher from 1888. See it here. It's a really wonderful photo, too.

Does anyone know anything fragrance related about Helen Keller? She must have had an extraordinary sense of smell.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan

Just had to go and look up Helen Keller on Wikipedia after reading that - I knew the basics of her early life from the movie about her, but I didn't know what a committed social activist she was. What a woman!

I'm about to send this link to my godson, who is slacking on his degree course in his final year as a firm and loving kick up the backside to get over himself and get on with things. If Helen Keller can overcome deafness and blindness to get a degree, he can overcome chronic procrastination.

Thanks Quarry! You've inspired me to get over my bad self too and go take the Wordchick to the museum!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Apparently, Ms. Keller was fond of the smell of 'healthy young men'...
    A sensual Cancerian, she.

Caught that newscast on NBC evening news too. Honeysuckle and jasmine, perhaps?

If a woman, who was blind and deaf almost from birth, could go on to become such a great and respected person, during the later part of the 19th to the early part of the 20th centuries, when most women would not even entertain the idea of education, there is not a reason anyone can't. When there is a will, there is a way. A great role model for all women. Thanks Quarry, for posting such an inspirational image.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

That photo is magnificent! That teacher's face - her focus, her intensity. Lovely.

I find some of these comment confusing.

Let me get this straight - some of you hold up Helen Keller (!!!) as an example of "look, if she can do it, you can do it"? Seriously? Are you kidding me? How does your reasoning go? Anyone who can see and hear can match her accomplishments, regardless of the absence of drive, ambition, intelligence, ingenuity, courage, inner strenth, and that indefinable quality of greatness?

Um, I don't think so.... but good luck with that.

Blog Entries

I saw the news article this morning at discoverydotcom, and by coincidence was later flipping thru Jan Moran's Fabulous Fragrances (My husband's book actually. Last night I was going thru and throwing away magazines and Christmas catalogues from 2005, and happened on it amongst them). The closing words of part one of the book are taken from a quote by Helen Keller:

Even as I think of smells,
    my nose is full of scents
    that start awake sweet memories
    of summers gone
    and ripening fields far away.
    --------------------------------------
    After a little more digging, I found a chapter excerpt called "Smell, the Fallen Angel" by Helen Keller. The above quote is taken from this chapter in her book, The World I Live In.

I wish to avoid hotlinking, so I hope I can guide you there by stating the excerpt can be found at Ragged Edge Magazine dot com. Issue 5, September 2001. From their main page, you can click on 'advanced search' and search the "libraries and archives" for "keller angel." The first return will be "Lost Disabilities Classics: Helen Keller" and that is the one you want.

Realizing now how much she relied on her sense of smell to know the world around her, I doubt that she wore fragrance. My weak nose is indeed "blind" compared to what she senses:

"Out of doors I am aware by smell and touch of the ground we tread and the places we pass. Sometimes, when there is no wind, the odors are so grouped that I know the character of the country, and can place a hayfield, a country store, a garden, a barn, a grove of pines, a farmhouse with the windows open."
    Last edited by Heartwood; 7th March 2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Dear an_oud_girl--thank you for everything. I especially enjoy that last quote about odors from the country. To read about Helen's sense of smell, I'm reminded of the abilities of Grenouille, the lead character in Suskind's novel Perfume. What a 180 difference in character between those two though.

Doesn't it seem odd there are no blind perfumers?

And, finally, an_oud_girl, the sight of your splendid almond tree in bloom forced me to change the wallpaper on my computer--you gave this northern girl such a case of spring fever. I found an image online quite similar, but of apple blossoms, and it's truly affecting.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Doesn't it seem odd there are no blind perfumers?
    How do we know there aren't?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Well researched, oud-girl.Thanks.

Thanks for the link Quarry, I love that photo.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407