Code of Conduct

Default Is Havana a safe buy blind??

Every time I go ebaying for fragrances I come back to this one. I've never smelled it and I always have a fear of buying blind because I have picky tastes.

But I've never heard a bad thing about it, and supplies are running low...so I am thinking I should pick up a bottle. It's expensive, though (around $60 for 1.7oz).

Is it a safe bet that I'll like it? To give general things I like...Amen, Bmen, Happy, D&GPH, D&GBy, Varvatos, Sung Paradise, SMW, MI, OV...Hanae Mori is my favorite oriental. Vera Wang makes me sick, but I generally tolerate sweetness well.

Default Re: Is Havana a safe buy blind??

I just did the "blind buy" thing with Havana and I have to say ... I'm so glad I did. Everything that has been said about it is true.

Definitely a nighttime fragrance, in my book. In fact, I have very few fragrances for fomal/nighttime use as I rarely go out at night anymore ... but I think this would be a tough competitor for BdP ... another "can't go wrong" blind buy.

Now I'm curious ... think I'll start a poll to see which people lke more.

If you like to smell like a cigar, Havana would be fantastic. On the other hand, if you detest cigars, stay away!
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Hmm I smoke cigars quite often and have never smelled any kind of cigar scent in Havana. Yes there is tobacco in there but it smells like fresh tobacco not dried. It's a somewhat green spicy citrus to me. I don't regret buying it blind at all, but then again I got it for 10 bucks.

Do you feel as passionately for it as so many others here? The way you describe it, it sounds like maybe it's not worth $60.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    Do you feel as passionately for it as so many others here? The way you describe it, it sounds like maybe it's not worth $60.
    While I love Havana, I don't get the chance to use it often because I don't have many formal occassions to attend. It's definitely worth the price IMO if only I had more events to wear it to. My friend recently wore it to go clubbing (I don't know why) and he definitely felt out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    [quote author=Ren link=1125253044/0#4 date=1125266052]Do you feel as passionately for it as so many others here? The way you describe it, it sounds like maybe it's not worth $60.
    While I love Havana, I don't get the chance to use it often because I don't have many formal occassions to attend. It's definitely worth the price IMO if only I had more events to wear it to. My friend recently wore it to go clubbing (I don't know why) and he definitely felt out of place. [/quote]

I agree. I don't attend many formal occasions either, but love and own Havana and BdP.

Basically, my wedding/funeral fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    [quote author=teflondog link=1125253044/0#5 date=1125267857][quote author=Ren link=1125253044/0#4 date=1125266052]Do you feel as passionately for it as so many others here? The way you describe it, it sounds like maybe it's not worth $60.
    While I love Havana, I don't get the chance to use it often because I don't have many formal occassions to attend. It's definitely worth the price IMO if only I had more events to wear it to. My friend recently wore it to go clubbing (I don't know why) and he definitely felt out of place. [/quote]

I agree. I don't attend many formal occasions either, but love and own Havana and BdP.

Basically, my wedding/funeral fragrances.[/quote]

wedding/funeral? what about a nice cocktail party...does it suit that kind of atmosphere, or is it too heavy?

As long as you're not wearing jeans and a t-shirt to that cocktail party, then I believe you should be fine. Havana screams formal/semi-formal wear to me. [smiley=cool.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    As long as you're not wearing jeans and a t-shirt to that cocktail party, then I believe you should be fine. Havana screams formal/semi-formal wear to me. [smiley=cool.gif]
    oh no, dont worry

I wear Havana anywhere, anytime. Why? It smells so good and life is short!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Looking at all them sweet Orientals/Gourmands and fresh fruity citruses that you like, i recommend you refrain from a blind buy of Havana. You need to like the classics to enjoy Havana. Things like Bel Ami, Equipage, Santos Concentree, Antheus, Aramis JHL, Benetton Colors Uomo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I wear Havana anywhere, anytime. Why? It smells so good and life is short!!
    Yea I don't know why anyone would consider this to be formal at all. It's kinda strong I guess, but my image is a Cuban guy wearing a short sleaved button down shirt and a pair of somewhat short white shorts. Not exactly formal

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Looking at all them sweet Orientals/Gourmands and fresh fruity citruses that you like, i recommend you refrain from a blind buy of Havana. You need to like the classics to enjoy Havana. Things like Bel Ami, Equipage, Santos Concentree, Antheus, Aramis JHL, Benetton Colors Uomo etc.
    Well said milamber. This is definitely an acquired taste, nothing to go blind on (esp with the high prices).
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Well, I certainly don't dislike these, I just don't wear them often. I love JHL though! Wish I had a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    Well, I certainly don't dislike these, I just don't wear them often. I love JHL though! Wish I had a bottle.
    Then you're not going to wear Havana often either. You'll have to weigh the price and frequency of usage to justify a purchase and like sentient said, it ain't cheap. You'd probably like Laguna more... LOL!!!

I was visting my local chemist for some prescriptions a few weeks ago & I decided to take a look at the perfume cabinet. 2 bottles of Havana met my stare, I couldn't believe it, I knew there had been discussions on this fragrance a couple of weeks back, I took a closer look it was 11.50 for a 50ml bottle, wow! No tester was available, so I bought the 2 bottles left. I've flogged 1 of them on ebay & it was bidded up to 35, now I'm tempted to keep the remaining bottle for myself, & I am still yet to sample it - Now tell me about buying blind!
    Let your nose be your pilot

I totally agree. I recently bought a bottle of Havana Reserva, because I loved the "regular" Havana several years ago. Though I like the scent, it smells nothing like I remember it smelling. The closest other scent I can compare it to is the also-discontinued Francesco Smalto.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I bought it blind, and I was not disappointed. This is a really bold fragrance that transports me somewhat. Maybe for that reason, I don't find it versatile, and have a hard time finding occasions to wear it. For me, it's been restricted to summer evenings, wearing the aforementioned short-sleeve button-down shirt.

I really do not find it tobe a formal fragrance at all. I think it's a delightful summer daytime/anytime fragrance...My only problem with Havana is that it borders on being too good.

i think if you can get it for 60 bucks...get it. It could be a great bargaining tool on this website if you dont like it...i know many friendly people who would make nice trades for it! Ha ha. For me, i just wasnt blown away by it like i thought i would be. Some very nice noter sent me a sample because i was in your predicament...and i just did not see all the fuss....track you down some nicole miller men...money better spent, imo!

One of my all time favorite scents... Personally, I don't think it's formal at all. It could be used in a formal setting, but it's certainly not a requirement. For $60 I think I would take the plunge. If it's not for you, you could trade with someone here or put it back on ebay...

Gook luck!

I would say that for a price of ,let's say,25 GBP (Buy it Now) is a great blind buy.
    Did I mention that I am not the seller?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Blog Entries

I'm planning on buying a bottle of Montana Red blind and, if I find myself liking it, possibly pulling the trigger on Havana should I happen into some cash (I can't justify the price tag without having money to burn). Does that make sense at all?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I bought Havana blind last year on ebay (30ml. for $60.USD). While I truly like the fragrance I have, I am not sure I have the real "deal" in that I had never sampled Havana before. It reminds me very much of a fragrance I wore years ago which I think was Jacomo de Jacomo, very spicy and warm, but since Havana is so rare in the US, my only means of making sure I have the real juice is to order a decant from The Perfumed Court I guess. Some of the BNers descriptions of the frag make me belive I may not have the true juice in that I don't get the tobacco being so heavy when I wear my Havana (as compared to The Dreamer which is very tobacco infused!)

Post Re: Is Havana a safe buy blind??

I've always found this to be a most interesting fragrance, in that your attitutude seems to set the mood for this fragrance.In a formal setting, and your wearing a charcoal pinstripe suit, a most acceptable frag. On the other side of that coin it's a lazy Sunday afternoon, and your sitting in the back yard with family, and or friends knocking down a few cold ones, and listening to a ballgame, once again a most acceptable frag. In short I find this to be a very versitle frag.So if your willing to pay the price for this one, go right ahead.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I really like Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella which is a great cigar and leather fragrance. How would Havana compare to this?

Post Re: Is Havana a safe buy blind??

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I really like Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella which is a great cigar and leather fragrance. How would Havana compare to this?
    I view Acqua di Cuba, as a bold in your face tobacco frag. Havana is more subdued, and has a better supporting cast.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I'm planning on buying a bottle of Montana Red blind and, if I find myself liking it, possibly pulling the trigger on Havana should I happen into some cash (I can't justify the price tag without having money to burn). Does that make sense at all?
    Not really...

If you end up liking Montana Red, it doesn't mean that you will like Havana. I'm in the minority, but I don't think they're all that similar. If you're going to buy Montana Red, buy it for it's own merits, and not because you view it as a stepping stone to Havana. Otherwise, just wait until you have the cash and get the real thing...

Stepping stone? Just because it's back into production doesn't make it inferior. If it makes you feel any better; when Montana was out of production, it commanded the same inflated prices as Havana now.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Stepping stone? Just because it's back into production doesn't make it inferior. If it makes you feel any better; when Montana was out of production, it commanded the same inflated prices as Havana now.

Where did I say it was inferior? Bluesoul stated that he was going to buy Montana and if he liked it he might try to save up the money to buy Havana.So in a sense, he's using Montana as a stepping stone to try Havana. All I said was if you're going to buy Montana, buy it because you think you'll like it on it's own. Don't buy it because others are saying it's similar to Havana...
    Last edited by KMF; 6th March 2008 at 07:59 PM.