Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Secretions Magnifiques

Today I sprayed a bit of Secretions Magnifiques on my colleagues.
    Firs colleague (a man) said that it really smells like sperm. After few minutes he went and washed his hands.
    Second colleague (a woman) at first said that it's nice. After ten minutes she went and washed her hands.

Secretions Magnifiques - is the weirdest and hardest to wear perfumes from LEO line. For sure not for everybody.

The most wearable and nice - Jasmine et Cigaretes, Rossy de Palma etc.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 8th May 2008 at 09:20 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Secretions Magnifiques

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Today I sprayed a bit of Secretions Magnifiques on my colleagues.
    Wow. I thought Lithuania had laws against assault and/or torture. Here in America, we wouldn't tolerate that crap! Oh wait, never mind...

Those are either some very understanding and brave colleagues or you hate them deeply.

Does anyone know if any stores in the US carry them? It would be interesting to give them a sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

There was an article in Metro (a free paper you get if you travel on the tube in London) about it - they said it's supposed to smell like blood, spit and sperm.
    I could think of many, many other things I'd rather smell like, in all honesty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Does anyone know if any stores in the US carry them? It would be interesting to give them a sniff.
    I think the only place that does is Henri Bendel in NYC. But their website is a mess and I certainly wouldn't buy it blind.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Henri Bendel is the retail exclusive I believe, for the ETLO line.

Secretions Magnifiques came this close to making me vomit...my palms got all clammy and I felt slightly flushed and wet in the mouth when I wore it. When I washed it off I could still smell it slightly all day, lightly. When I threw the plastic envelope that the sample vial came in, in a wastebasket, I could still smell the scent in the wastebasket two days later.

It smelled like a dead dogs body, that had fallen and died bleeding in a moldy pool of water - with milk poured in it. Blech!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th March 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ohmigosh...thts scary Mike..

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Secretions Magnifiques

I like o wear SECRETIONS MAGNIFIQUES for bacchanals...

In a certain way I do admire this fragrance : It is so much on the edge of it all, yet some people actually seem to like and wear this stuff. I think it is also very uncomparable to anything else, so it is one innovative scent.

I personally hate this scent. It`s beyond words, really. One of the VERY few scents I was forced to wash off when testing it. (I have tested this 3 times overall, and everytime the results have been the same)
    Absolutely revolting fragrance, and to be honest it beats me completely how anyone would be able to pull this thing off with comfort.

Btw, I think this scent resembles more the odeurs of a female than a male. It screams estrogen to me, and at least my cum doest`t smell like SM in a slightest bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    There was an article in Metro (a free paper you get if you travel on the tube in London) about it - they said it's supposed to smell like blood, spit and sperm.
    I could think of many, many other things I'd rather smell like, in all honesty.
    Lol, my friends and I read that too, they asked me if that was why I'd recently become interested in fragrances, what was interesting though, was that Metro accidentally doubled the price, as at Harvey Nicks, only 50ml is available !

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

A sales rep in Harvey Nichols was telling me that Libre don't have their own sales rep and none of the others will talk about them because they think they're disgusting.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    ...to be honest it beats me completely how anyone would be able to pull this thing off with comfort....
    I must say I was thinking the same thing Pigeon.

The positive reviews I've read online of Secretions astounded me after I sampled it.

Luca Turin talked highly of it (...'The masterpiece is, in my opinion, Lie’s Sécrétions Magnifiques, helpfully illustrated on the website by a schoolboy drawing of an ejaculating penis. What he has done is revolutionary: he has used a nitrile as a main note in a fine fragrance. In plain language, he has put a loud note of harbor bilge in an elegant floral and made it fly...')

In addition our very own Tigruska sampled and wore it and described it on the womens board as ('...starts off like iron + vitamin supplement, but turns into something rather fascinating...')

So, I am of the firm belief that SM does entirely different things on differing peoples skin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Secretions Magnifiques came this close to making me vomit...my palms got all clammy and I felt slightly flushed and wet in the mouth when I wore it. When I washed it off I could still smell it slightly all day, lightly. When I threw the plastic envelope that the sample vial came in, in a wastebasket, I could still smell the scent in the wastebasket two days later.

It smelled like a dead dogs body, that had fallen and died bleeding in a moldy pool of water - with milk poured in it. Blech!!
    Wow... what a vivid description. Makes me curious to try it, but on a blotter - not on my own skin.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a sample and tried it. It really made me physically nauseous - and after scrubbing I could smell it for hours and hours afterwards. I think Turin was impressed at them making a fragrance with Nitrile (the chutzpah it takes, the shock factor, and that it isn't just nitrile in a bottle), not that it smells good or succeeds as a perfume.

Mikeperez23 was correct, it is thoroughly vile and smells of rotting offal. And "succeeds" the same way a Damien Hurst art piece "succeeds." (The whole "shock art" movement, actually)

Because it doesn't smell good. Not even close. Unwearable and horrible, but it did put the house on the map with the silly picture on the bottle and the rotting offal smells in the bottle and declaring it a perfume.

Side note: I have heard of some folks with a rare form of epilepsy that makes their sense of smell perceive all scents as putrid and awful like Nitrile. Imagine going through life when someone smells a rose, you get to smell nitrile? awful.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 6th May 2008 at 04:57 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it, Etat Libre d'Orange is just an exercise in vile unwearable scents for the most part. I actually like Rien and have tried to wear it, but was unsuccessful. The exception being Tom of Finland, which is just the opposite. It's easily wearable, but boring.

Antoine Lie was comissioned to make a fragrance that" does not interfere with the oder of man"
    I think Antoine Lie did a fantastic job. Tom of Finland smells like a clean me with a mild " clean sweatyness" Amazing in the fact it will smell like yourself. I just can't figure why I would want to spend money to smell like myself, can you Etat Libre d'Orange?

Post Thanks / Like

Damn! .. not that I've smelled anything like THAT before.. but damn!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have to say this perfume is a piece of art, and represent very well the whole idea of sex.
    Makes you wander why a perfume has to be created to be weared and why it has to smell politically correct, when in another hand, they're so many mainstream frags around the market that so many basenoters love, and other, find them,simply pugnent . but the taste is a thin line, that starts and end in ourselves.

There's a smell here of nudity and puberscense. That is "Secretions Magnifiques".

This fragance start so aldehydeic, clean, so pure that blowns you away. Very aquatic too, like a pool with a lot chloorine, just clean, asepthic, and neutral, but suddenly the notes itself make you dive in something more organic, like a swamp in a forest.

The fucus note emerges so sharp that nearly hurts when you sniff. I know very well the fucus smell as I grown up next to the beach:

it's a group of brown algae, used in herbolist normally,that hasn't a obvious smell when collected fresh, but when treated with alcohols, smells green, medicinal and very metallic and organic like, not a lovely smell I have to be honest, but not vile too.

Well, that's how this perfume smell like:something green metallic, kind of medicinal,but the initial splash ozonic aquatic reamrked by the azurone,goes all over the olfatory experience, and something really clean on the background, SOMETHING SO PURE.

The blood accord mixed nicely with the fucus giving a more sharper metallic twist, and the iris and coconut note shows in the dry down very subtle, appearing like a shy note of peachy skin surrounding it all. A feminine touch, I must say. I suppose it is beacuse of the blend of these two and the milk note, it's creamy but clean.

The milky base smell like creamy clean soap, like a fresh young woman skin after a bath with a shower gel.
    The conclusion is, despiste what you could spect, this fragance is just clean yet sharp, yet sexual but not dirty.

It's very marine, yes, very metallic, quiet indeed, but it's addictive.

I don't really think it's a wearable frag.

I think this perfume is pure juxtapose, a master piece:

something as cleaner that hurts mixed with the most medicinal,marine, metallic note you ever imagine.

It's sex in a bottle, but subtle sex. If seduction has a smell, It would smell like this. An olfatory experience for sure.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I never tried LSM but after this thread and the fascinating descriptions Tigs and Mike do of that (both positive and negative) I really dig to test myself the juice, specially cuz I do share the love for some particular scents with both of you folks hehe... Let's see what it "does" to me

I've tried Secretion Magnifique some days ago, unfortunately on my skin.

It doesn't smell like sex or to anything sex-related. It smells like plain vomit and is extremely longlasting. I felt sick after this experience and had to drink a lemonade to clean my mouth, take a shower and change my cloths.

Trust me: Don't spray this on your skin without testing on card before.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright...I caved and ordered a sample. Too controversial to resist!

Also ordered a sample of S-e-X which seems in the same "art...but not wearable" vein.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be very happy to send my sample to anyone who is curious. I just about puked. There were several non nitrile notes in the perfume (including that famous Cool Water aquatic note), that's for sure, but I usually stop trying to "understand" a fragrance when I gag and taste bile.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 7th May 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

I find it fascinating that its so repulsive to (most) everyone.

I'm quite excited to smell it...I honestly have only been made feel ill by two scents:
    -Bandit Light Pour Homme; and
    -Lipstick Rose

Has anyone tried thos Harry Potter jelly bellies? That's sort of what I'm equating to this scent...fascinating, but gross.

Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post

Also ordered a sample of S-e-X which seems in the same "art...but not wearable" vein.
    S-Perfume`s S-ex and SM has absolutely nothing in common. They are completely different.

Straight from the bottle S-ex is subtle, animalic leather scent with fresh, airy twist. It dries down to a very subtle, very close to skin, musky scent that still has a bit of a salty, aquatic accord. S-ex is a true skin perfume, and a great one in that gategory.
    Comparing to ELdO`s SM, S-ex is extremely pleasant and easy to wear.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I find it fascinating that its so repulsive to (most) everyone.

I'm quite excited to smell it...I honestly have only been made feel ill by two scents:
    -Bandit Light Pour Homme; and
    -Lipstick Rose

Has anyone tried thos Harry Potter jelly bellies? That's sort of what I'm equating to this scent...fascinating, but gross.

Maybe?
    sofresh I approached the SM sample I ordered in the very same way - with the experience that I rarely get sick (nauseous) from smelling a fragrance and that yes, there are some gross smells or perhaps smells that are just weird (the Demeter line is FULL OF them, they have a scent called 'Earthworm' for God's sake!), but I was going to be able to handle the scent in the context of my olfactory experience.

But SM - well, you read my description above. That's what it smells like. There are fragrances that when you spray them, the smell makes you uncomfortable (burning nostrils) or you associate with an unpleasant image (hairspray, makeup bags, people you don't like...etc). SM however goes a large step beyond this - it smells like something that is decaying or dead. And (unlike something that is REALLY dead that you can walk away from to get away from the smell) the smell is persistent and very fresh - so that you can't really get away from the smell, it sort of overcame me when I wore it.

My advice sofresh - spray (or dab) this fragrance on a piece of paper, BEFORE you put it on your skin. If you have a positive reaction towards the blotter, then feel free to go ahead and put it on your skin. If you have a bad reaction to it, then you'll be saved from a few hours of olfactory trauma.

Ever since I smelled SM, a few fragrances I have smelled contain 'other' notes that are in SM (not vomit inducing, but similar synthetic molecules perhaps) and each time I've smelled these scents, of course the SM reared it's head in my mind and made the scent entirely unwearable. Off the top of my head, this happened with me when I smelled Coney Island by BN9, Fahrenheit 32 by Dior and Vivara by Pucci. Which is a shame, because I know that these three scents are most likely good - but my 'trauma' from having that SM on my skin for that long kind of ruined these scents.

I mean we joined Basenotes to have fun. At least I did. Sampling SM was NOT fun.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

For me it's the milk accord that I find so unpleasant. I think Turin calls them lactones. If they are used more often, we may get used to them. It's something new, right? In the meantime, I will not be buying a bottle.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th May 2008 at 04:47 AM.

Talking Re: Secretions Magnifiques

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    For me it's the milk accord that I find so unpleasant. I think Turin calls them lactones. If they are used more often, we may get used to them. It's something new, right? In the meantime, I will not be buying a bottle.
    IT's more like creamy milky accord that's right, but addding an aloe vera green note with hints of salty strong fucus seaweed.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

[QUOTE=thebeck;1216173]Let's face it, Etat Libre d'Orange is just an exercise in vile unwearable scents for the most part.

I don't agree: I love almost all of the ELd'O's I've tried, the only exception is Jasmin&Cigarettes which had a bit too much tobacco for me. I own Rien and Vierges&Toreros and am about to get Divine Enfant too!

Heh lactone is not so new. You can find it also in the good old Dioressence for example or Gucci Rush or Fendi Teorema or Le Feu d'Issey. Personally I like lactone notes in general, not sure how I will react smelling Secretions though. I will keep you updated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    S-Perfume`s S-ex and SM has absolutely nothing in common. They are completely different.

Straight from the bottle S-ex is subtle, animalic leather scent with fresh, airy twist. It dries down to a very subtle, very close to skin, musky scent that still has a bit of a salty, aquatic accord. S-ex is a true skin perfume, and a great one in that gategory.
    Comparing to ELdO`s SM, S-ex is extremely pleasant and easy to wear.
    I meant that they were alike in the "conceptual perfumery" sort of category...but I haven't smelled either yet, so it was just a guess.

Mike - thanks for the preparation...I hope it doesn't leak in the mail! I think I'm prepared for the worst now, so I guess we'll see if it lives up to the hype. I think I'd almost be disappointed at this point if it didn't make me gag!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Heh lactone is not so new. You can find it also in the good old Dioressence for example or Gucci Rush or Fendi Teorema or Le Feu d'Issey. Personally I like lactone notes in general, not sure how I will react smelling Secretions though. I will keep you updated
    I was wrong , the chemical Turin referred to is nitrile, which he describes as "oily, metallic, entirely wrong." It reminds me of milkweed sap. FYI, I was an abysmal chemistry student.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th May 2008 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

sofresh I approached the SM sample I ordered in the very same way - with the experience that I rarely get sick (nauseous) from smelling a fragrance and that yes, there are some gross smells or perhaps smells that are just weird (the Demeter line is FULL OF them, they have a scent called 'Earthworm' for God's sake!), but I was going to be able to handle the scent in the context of my olfactory experience.

But SM - well, you read my description above. That's what it smells like. There are fragrances that when you spray them, the smell makes you uncomfortable (burning nostrils) or you associate with an unpleasant image (hairspray, makeup bags, people you don't like...etc). SM however goes a large step beyond this - it smells like something that is decaying or dead. And (unlike something that is REALLY dead that you can walk away from to get away from the smell) the smell is persistent and very fresh - so that you can't really get away from the smell, it sort of overcame me when I wore it.

My advice sofresh - spray (or dab) this fragrance on a piece of paper, BEFORE you put it on your skin. If you have a positive reaction towards the blotter, then feel free to go ahead and put it on your skin. If you have a bad reaction to it, then you'll be saved from a few hours of olfactory trauma.

Ever since I smelled SM, a few fragrances I have smelled contain 'other' notes that are in SM (not vomit inducing, but similar synthetic molecules perhaps) and each time I've smelled these scents, of course the SM reared it's head in my mind and made the scent entirely unwearable. Off the top of my head, this happened with me when I smelled Coney Island by BN9, Fahrenheit 32 by Dior and Vivara by Pucci. Which is a shame, because I know that these three scents are most likely good - but my 'trauma' from having that SM on my skin for that long kind of ruined these scents.

I mean we joined Basenotes to have fun. At least I did. Sampling SM was NOT fun.
    MikePerez23 - This was my experience exactly - and when I saw how putrid it was I scrubbed as fast as I could - with Zanfel (zanfel is a poison ivy treatment that is awesome for getting rid of oils on your skin - KILLS perfumes). SM will "ruin" many otherwise good scents. Why scar your olfactory memory with this trauma.
    ===

I tried this yesterday but only managed to tolerate it for 5-10 seconds (sprayed on a card, thankfully), therefore I didn't get the chance to observe it development. My first impressions was comprised of words such as 'synthetic', 'sperm' and 'stale'...

I was wrong , the chemical Turin referred to is nitrile, which he describes as "oily, metallic, entirely wrong." It reminds me of milkweed sap. FYI, I was an abysmal chemistry student.
    It was not my goal to criticise you Ruggles (your posts are always insightful) I was just reflecting on what could be my reaction to the scent basing on your comment on lactone. Said that I think I never smelled nitrile, not in a scent maybe, and despite my chemistry lessons back in time, I don't remember where nitrile can be smelled in nature. So if you could illuminate me about some examples in nature or in some scents where I could smell nitrile...
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 8th May 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My research tells me that nitriles have a nitrogen atom triple-bonded to a carbon atom. I don't know what that means exactly, but looking through the list of aroma-chemicals, none of the nitriles naturally occur in nature, so there wouldn't a specific plant you could smell for reference. There appear to be several synthetics that contain the name though...violet nitrile, peach nitrile, etc. etc. Perhaps its more of an affect on a scent than a scent itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Nitriles are a group of checmicals - but the one they used in this one really smells like sewage and putrified flesh.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 8th May 2008 at 05:28 PM.
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I think I never smelled nitrile, not in a scent maybe, and despite my chemistry lessons back in time, I don't remember where nitrile can be smelled in nature. So if you could illuminate me about some examples in nature or in some scents where I could smell nitrile...
    I believe nitriles are used mostly in laundry detergents, room freshners, deodorants as an odor neutralizer. Sort of the smell of a portable toilet before the deluge.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked my father (who is a chemical engineer) - he said that the type of organic chemical "Nitriles" is such a wide variety of chemicals that it is hard to say what it smells like - as is "Aldehydes" for that matter.

Needless to say SM uses one that smells like rot and putrification.
    ===

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post

I actually find S-ex to be completely wearable and I think it was intended as such. There is nothing remotely vile about it. Even its leather note is very soft and inoffensive, a beginner's leather if you will. If anything, I don't find S-ex unique enough .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With 'difficult' frags, it often helps to sniff from a greater distance--say, wear it somewhere below the waist, for example. Has anyone tried this with SM?

Post Thanks / Like

We all can agree that the people that are able to wear Secretions Magnifiques (SM) are probably already in the minority bracket of the “niche market” consumers.
    For those that can wear and who would want too buy SM, it’s again a minority of a minority.

It’s a sales revenue nightmare for a single fragrance!

Most perfume houses at this point would discontinue a line or drop the line BUT SM is a fantastic fragrance for ELd”O not as a scent but as a MARKETING TOOL.

It has probably over achieved its initial marketing goals for ELd’O, as I will explain.

Look at what ELd’O wants to achieve as a marketing image.
    ELD’O to be wants seen from a marketing point of view as a Fragrance house living “on the edge”.
    It wants to enhance its reputation as the “enfant terrible” of the perfume industry.
    It has to be seen by its buying public as a fragrance company as bucking the “norm’.

Has ELd’O done this with Secretions Magnifiques? 100% YES.

Why is Secretions Magnifiquess considered as one of the best marketing tools ELd”O has? People, bloggers and enthusiasts love to talk about it in a strong feelings and emotional wordings. Vile, Vomit, Sick, Nauseous, Sperm, Blood are common words being used to describe this scent, which is totally opposite to which other Perfume Houses would like, said about their own Brands of fragrances.

Take this thread as an example of the positive side for ELd’O. SM has been discussed intelligently amongst well educated connoisseurs (Bners) and as a result has very few positive supporters on this thread BUT Bner’s have stated they preferred liked or wear other ELd’O offerings example; Tom Finland, Rossy de Palma, Rien, Jasmine + Cigarettes, Divine Enfant and Vierges +Toreros all of which are stated in a positive light.

Questions: Has Secretions Magnifiques been a commercial selling success or has it enhanced ELd’O image and has helped people talk about its other offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Questions: Has Secretions Magnifiques been a commercial selling success or has it enhanced ELd’O image and has helped people talk about its other offerings?
    Once I read somwhere that SM is besides J&C the bestseller of this house. I really do not believe that.

Your attempt to describe SM as a marketing tool is quite irritating. It could be true if SM was as vile as people in the US feel. Even the scoop (do You say that?), the story behind the frag isn't about smelling OF or LIKE - maybe rotting - semen, saliva whatever. It should by design evoke the same feelings as if smelling stuff like that. And that is a difference, I think. Eventually, it actually smells of semen, but fresh semen in the drydown. It is the same as chestnut flowers. The top is green, sour, peeking like toilet cleaner. The 180 degrees turn when it suddenly reveals milky, floral, nutty aspects is what most people don't stand.

The smell of chestnut/semen I really - sorry - do like a lot. Because of the simple fact that I as grown up heterosexual male connect this smell with ... what do You think? Annoyance? Would someone mind to think of sex as a good thing?

Here in Europe enthusiastic (good and bad) criticism with this frag was spare. I used it a lot, even on the plane, on the job. The feedback was mixed. Nobody was bothered by a subjectively bad smell, though. When I told people what kind of a negative hype it induced in the US on basenotes, they loughed. How much prejudice from a name or scoop could affect peoples nose. Read my "review" and discover, why sex is a good thing, even in case it comes to orgasm(s).

ps: SM is potent (pun intended), but Rien is despite it's name much more so. Rien is a whiteout of smell. Wear it, if You really dare. For me it's much less wearable than SM, though.
    pps: Rien and SM share some wider aspects in the milky/floral part, SM being complemented by woods, Rien by incense ...
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th April 2011 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You have some valid points Wildthingy.

Just keep in mind that I have attempted to stay neutral and not to take sides.

(1) I have just thrown in the question on whether SM as a scent is also used as a vehicle for marketing?

(2) As a scent it has invoked third party descriptive (SM scent notes aside) comments such as vile, sick, nauseous. Most or nearly all other Perfume houses would have been pressured to withdraw from public market a consumer product that provokes these physical reactions (reviews Youtube).

The article just points out that if SM was a marketing tool it appears to be very successful or that if SM was intended to be a top revenue earner it might not of reached its financial objectives.

FYI. I own and wear Rien.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You have some valid points Wildthingy.

Just keep in mind that I have attempted to stay neutral and not to take sides.

(1) I have just thrown in the question on whether SM as a scent is also used as a vehicle for marketing?

(2) As a scent it has invoked third party descriptive (SM scent notes aside) comments such as vile, sick, nauseous. Most or nearly all other Perfume houses would have been pressured to withdraw from public market a consumer product that provokes these physical reactions (reviews Youtube).

The article just points out that if SM was a marketing tool it appears to be very successful or that if SM was intended to be a top revenue earner it might not of reached its financial objectives.

It's always been my impression that Secretions Magnifique was intended as an artistic statement and not necessarily a wearable perfume (which is not to say that some people don't enjoy wearing it, personally I can't). What kind of artistic statement? Well, what does it say that a perfume containing 'notes' of human secretions smells like it does, and what does it say about other perfumes? What kind of statement does it make for a perfume to be so completely and totally different from anything else on the planet? I love ELdO's marketing that eschews the typical "beauty and glamor" imagery that nearly every other house employs in some form or another. The logos, the little stories, the offbeat perfume names, etc. are all refreshingly different. Having a fragrance like SM is very much a part of that fun, whimsical and interesting marketing.

Going through old threads on SM I see what WildThingy is talking about when describes negative hype. Seems to be one of those instances whereby a few profoundly negative comments create a framework by which others experience a sample of the fragrance and they're then more inclined to agree with what they've read. No doubt SM is a very odd smelling perfume, but to comment on it as though it was just a normal fragrance seem to me to miss the point entirely.

"No doubt SM is a very odd smelling perfume, but to comment on it as though it was just a normal fragrance seem to me to miss the point entirely."

The off beat note is the top of that infamous rott indicating nitrile (?). That is metallic, "vile" but not more so than any other frags in bleach, casual cleaners the like. In SM the juxtaposition of sheer power "bilge" and milky floral woody is quite irritating. My personal association with that is white apple with black spots of rott, windfall, wet grass and trees - something that I remember from very early days at the country side as - You said it - peculiar and hence interesting to me. It all calms down after 2 hours or so into a strong chestnut flower.

Eventually I won't call it less wearable than "Bleu De Chanel" for instance. But it may depend on everyones personal olfactory experience. The worst reaction I got was my girlfriend developing an insane greed for chocolate, while telling me that SM smelled good (yes!). Maybe I impregnated her virtually ... just kidding.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th April 2011 at 03:26 PM.

... if SM was intended to be a top revenue earner it might not of reached its financial objectives.

That's agreeable. SM isn't a crowd pleaser by todays standarts. But again, it depends on olfactory memory.

Rien is something ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Rien is a whiteout of smell. Wear it, if You really dare. For me it's much less wearable than SM, though.
    pps: Rien and SM share some wider aspects in the milky/floral part, SM being complemented by woods, Rien by incense ...
    Is it Miller Harris L'Air de Rein you are referring to? When I sampled it, I found it pleasant but not unique. To me it was just a sweeter version of a generic dirty musk scent. It smelled on my skin like it did in the bottle. Then again, I sampled it on my ankle for insurance lol!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Is it Miller Harris L'Air de Rein you are referring to? When I sampled it, I found it pleasant but not unique. To me it was just a sweeter version of a generic dirty musk scent. It smelled on my skin like it did in the bottle. Then again, I sampled it on my ankle for insurance lol!
    I assume they are referring to Etat Libre d'Orange Rien - a potent leather fragrance (which I own and occasionally wear as well).

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    I assume they are referring to Etat Libre d'Orange Rien - a potent leather fragrance (which I own and occasionally wear as well).
    Alas, there is no "leather" in it for me. By light application it might reveal some of it's components. For me it was a nose tickling incense close by and a milky dewy floral from the distance. Hmm, again a juxtaposition, here of a sharp dry vs. mild wet. But what I really don't get from it is tar, bitterness and such, which I would expect from "leather". Anyway, for me it is just too much of everything ... snowblind.

Someone sent me a sample of it last week, and I must say: this stuff is BADD! REALLLY bad!!! It's the only scent that I actually tried to scrub off my skin. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this, some two years back, and found it to be vile.

I have just revisited it. It is still vile.

I can't see myself ever wanting to try this foul concoction ever again, so my sample is going begging should anyone want it?
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a sample since xmas and still havent dared to open it.
    Smellin good

Post Thanks / Like

It was the first ELdO I ever tested. I was so intrigued, that I ordered many other of their samples and loved almost all of them, especially Rien (which I just bought), Putain des Palaces, and Jasmin et Cigarette.

HOWEVER HOWEVER HOWEVER, SM is truly vile in my opinion. Let me be clear: I have a REALLY strong stomach. In fact, one might call me kind of a perv because I like (within reason) B.O. and other "bad smells." Therefore, I thought I'd love SM.

To me, it smells like a mixture of wet dog, semen, and that weird, sickly scent that a bad wound has between the time it's stop bleeding and is trying to heal. I almost lost my lunch...........twice.

I think it is very artistic, but, as I said in my review, it is a Jackson Pollock among da Vincis.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    I can't see myself ever wanting to try this foul concoction ever again, so my sample is going begging should anyone want it?
    Actually I would be grateful if you'd send it my way, I'd like to try it!

Artistic? A "statement"? Please. The only statement this disgusting perfume makes is this: "Please pay attention to ELdO. We make average perfumes at best and don't have as much promotion money as Chanel or Creed, so we have to drum up interest by creating outrageous, over-the-top marketing gimmicks and by making a perfume so gross you'll want to tell all your friends how gross it is . . . and then they'll check out our website or instore offerings and maybe buy another cologne that is marginally pleasing." That is its statement. ELdO is, like all other companies, out to make money, and seems to have come up with a fine way to get people talking. But let's leave "art" out of this. Sheesh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Artistic? A "statement"? Please. The only statement this disgusting perfume makes is this: "Please pay attention to ELdO. We make average perfumes at best and don't have as much promotion money as Chanel or Creed, so we have to drum up interest by creating outrageous, over-the-top marketing gimmicks and by making a perfume so gross you'll want to tell all your friends how gross it is . . . and then they'll check out our website or instore offerings and maybe buy another cologne that is marginally pleasing." That is its statement. ELdO is, like all other companies, out to make money, and seems to have come up with a fine way to get people talking. But let's leave "art" out of this. Sheesh.

^^^ Nail well and truly hit on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alnysie View Post
    Actually I would be grateful if you'd send it my way, I'd like to try it!
    Gladly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I watched Katie Puckrick smell this one on video. It is hilarious actually, watching someone smell this for the first time..pretty much convinced me that I must not smell this. Although I still want to? WHY?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Gladly!
    Thanks!! (Maybe this sample will end up like the videotape in The Ring [ooh the bad references], where we'll all *have* to inflict our pain to another unsuspecting [or naive] victim!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll come in defense of SM. As Tania Sanchez said, it is artistic because it is a commentary on the hypersexualization of the advertisements for all the trivial florals that claim to smell like sex.

And it must be said that the combination is disgusting but striking; no poop or the usual suspects, but a particularly unpleasant swampy-metallic boat. A must smell - on paper, that is.

I loved Katie Puckrik's video -except that she didn't answer her own question.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'll come in defense of SM. As Tania Sanchez said, it is artistic because it is a commentary on the hypersexualization of the advertisements for all the trivial florals that claim to smell like sex.
    cacio
    SM is not a "commentary" on anything, and claiming it to be so is pretentious and insulting. It was released to get people talking about a company whose other fragrances are, by universal agreement, average at best. It has succeeded. Nothing more need be said.

Now, if you're the type who thinks feces on a canvas can be "a postmodern statement about the depersonalization of modern man and the exploitation of womyn in the Western demimonde," I can't help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Now, if you're the type who thinks feces on a canvas can be "a postmodern statement about the depersonalization of modern man and the exploitation of womyn in the Western demimonde," I can't help you.
    Hahahahahahhaha! I can't decide where I am in this debate (maybe I will after I smell it), but I actually laughed out loud.