Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Aqva Pour Homme Marine by Bulgari two stars

'...Bulgari asked for a Cavallier supermarine, and with Aqva Pour Homme Marine, Cavallier gave it to them. Bulgari’s press releases scatter language about ocean breezes and uses words like “grapefruit” and “neroli” (bitter orange flower), but really what you have here is a fragrance that makes no reference whatsoever to the natural world. Aqva is the blandly handsome son of l’Eau d’Issey, a scent of Coast deodorant soap in an expensive executive gym with powerful central air conditioning...'

For the full review on the NYT blog click here
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th March 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Default Re: Burr gives Aqva Pour Homme Marine by Bulgari two stars

I would like to say this scent was a dissapointment but that would not be true. I did not have high expectations for it. As the article says the presense of a Calone note makes it smell a lot like many other fragrances out there: Echo, Eternity summer, Leau dIssey, 1805 etc, etc, etc. Bvlgari Aqva was good for one thing: it took the aquatic theme and gave it a twist making something different. Aqva Marine is a step back. It takes the topnotes of Aqva and returns to the generic aquatics. About the packaging, I am not sure if I like it or not.
    Last edited by irish; 6th March 2008 at 08:23 PM.

I haven' t tried this one but the original is one of the best aquatic fragrances on the market - a refreshing mandarin/neroli opening followed by a pleasant non-plasticky seaweed like aquatic/posidinia note which rests on a herbal-amber base. Cavallier was the perfumer and imo its more accomplished and refined than both AdG and IdM.
    -

Interesting article; cheers for the link.

I remember receiving a sample of Bulgari Aqua a few years back. My initial reaction upon smelling it was, "Oh, give me a break!" and tossing it into the garbage. The sheer banality of the fragrance was not enough to incense me, rather the fact that it carried the name Bulgari.

Honestly, what has happened to Bulgari? Really. Bulgari Black and Pour Homme are excellent scents, as are Eau Parfumée au Thé Verte, both original and "extreme" versions, but I have not been impressed at all with any of their other offerings. They seem to get worse and worse with time.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    About the packaging, I am not sure if I like it or not.
    I actually like the packaging and don't like the fragrance. I think it looks like a sci-fi underwater compass or magic timepiece. Very Aquaman-meets-The-Golden-Compass.

Well I like the round design of it, the color and how it feels on my hand. I especially like the fact that I cannot really call it a bottle (same goes for Black) as the width if considerably bigger than the height. However, functionally, I dislike it because it never 'sits' on the table. I feel like it is going to fall/roll to the floor. A base (like unforgivable) would be perfect to compliment the packaging.
    Last edited by irish; 6th March 2008 at 09:02 PM.

It smells like it ought to. A true "marine" scent, citrus aquatic but with a subtle ocean seaweed undertone. Very well done! Sadly, I find on me that it does not project at all. If not even the person sitting next to you can smell it what is the point? I won't ever buy it again.

Just my 2 cents ...

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Well I like the round design of it, the color and how it feels on my hand. I especially like the fact that I cannot really call it a bottle (same goes for Black) as the width if considerably bigger than the height. However, functionally, I dislike it because it never 'sits' on the table. I feel like it is going to fall/roll to the floor. A base (like unforgivable) would be perfect to compliment the packaging.
    That's so funny, there is no base included in the original packaging? All tester packagings of the original Bulgari Aqua have a plastic transparant base that fits the pebble perfectly.

-edit- I meant to save the unpackaging of my Bulgari Aqua Marine till this weekend, but couldn't resist. Indeed, the original packaging actually contains one item LESS than the tester packaging, namely the transparant plastic base! What a shame, that base really matched the pebble bottle perfectly.

Here it is with the base:

Last edited by Stereotomy; 6th March 2008 at 11:44 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I love the new Aqva Marine. The original to me was just too woody and spicy and took a funny camphore effect on my skin.

While Marine is very rich in calone granted it has the very artifical early 90's air fresher scent of the ocean.

Just a great scent - I've been gushing over it since I bought it two weeks ago - this will get heavy rotation for the spring.

I dunno yet. I've sprayed some on my left hand an hour ago and it smells really generic to me, and I don't seem to smell the posidonia note that was in the original and should be in the Marine as well.

I think I may have said it before, but Aqua Marine is quite similar to Herrera 212 Men to me. So, I guess it will make a fine spring/summer scent.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 7th March 2008 at 12:38 AM.

I wore it today from a sample I got earlier this week at Macy's.
    I think it's terrible. A total scrubber by noon. I do like the packaging, but if I want packaging I'll pick up a new CdG. This really disappointed me. I was hoping for something wearable from the house that has produced a couple of my favorite fragrances. It does feel totally synthetic, like salty water and melted plastic in a Tupperware bowl.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

To me the original Avqva Bvlgari was a great aqua fragrance, far surpassing AdG (again, my opinion) - particularly in the drydown! I have no desire to try the new Marine... I have all I want from Avqva!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I love the original, but this new Marine version leaves me cold. The "fresh" note that's added really makes like it every other "Aquatic" out there.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

If you guys really want a nice aquatic fragrance, you should get Lanvin's Oxygene PH.

I'm with scentimus. There is something in it, which makes it to my nose special in its category.
    Last edited by Sandy; 7th March 2008 at 04:30 AM.

Nowsmellthis reviews both the original Aqua and the new Aqua Marine:

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...6/3563997.html

Original:

Aqva Pour Homme has an aquatic character, but it does not smell like ocean water. When I wear this fragrance, my imagination, once again, takes over and I’m at the shore where one smells damp, barnacled pilings and moorings; tarred wharves; seaweed; and warm oceanic breezes that are scented with the aromas of hot boat engines and their sweet-smelling exhaust fumes. In fact, the scent of Aqva Pour Homme reminds me of the Seattle Ferry Terminal! If you dislike the “gasoline,” or “dried tar” fragrance note in Christian Dior Fahrenheit, I wager you will NOT like Aqva Pour Homme. The santolina/posidonia accord starts off rather smoothly but quickly intensifies. At the very end of Aqva Pour Homme’s development I smell faint, dry/chalky amber. Aqva Pour Homme is a rather stark fragrance and it lasts on my skin for three hours or so (which is a good thing; I like the santolina/fuel oil note but don’t think I would want to smell it for much longer than three hours).
    Aqua Marine:

A Bvlgari rep’s quote in Cosmetics International regarding Aqva Pour Homme Marine made me frown: It will definitely appeal to younger men and women, especially in Asia" (11/2/07).
    lol.

My 2007 winner for blandest men’s fragrance release went to Kenzo Tokyo; so far in 2008 (the year IS young) Aqva Pour Homme Marine takes that prize.
    I guess they don't particulary like it.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 8th March 2008 at 12:58 AM.