Code of Conduct

Default Please help me with my collection.

About me: 26 M Professional in Charleston, SC

I started my whole foray into fragrances with a blind buy of Burberry London. I've branched out a little from there, and I'm sketching out what I want to have on hand for Spring/Summer in Charleston. The weather down here ranges from warm to oppressively hot during the summer months, and there's easy access to the water.

Here's what I'm currently using:

Daily Business: Givenchy Pi
    Evening: Rochas Man
    Classy: Creed Himalaya
    Date Night: Gucci Envy

I've been sampling a lot of things over the last few weeks to get a better idea of what I like, so I'm thinking about changing things around to the following:

Daily Business: Mugler Cologne, Terre d'Hermes, Caron Third Man,
    Evening: Caron Third Man, Bvlgari Black
    Classy: Creed Himalaya
    Date Night: Gucci Envy
    Casual: Mugler Cologne

Mugler Cologne has no real lasting power on my skin, which is actually perfect when it's 95 degrees outside. Terre d'Hermes will be good on the nicer days when there's a little wind, and Caron Third Man I think will be good on the darker, ranier days. For going out, I don't really like the chewy, cloying Rochas Man drydown, so I think I'm going to dump it for Caron Third Man for general use and sometimes Bvlgari Black. The classy, date night, and casual choices are obvious.

Anything I might be overlooking? I realize I don't have an aquatic scent in this lineup -- what would you recommend?

Default Re: Please help me with my collection.

Aqua Di Gio is always a wonderful aquatic fragrance if you are looking for that sort of thing. Yes, lots of people have it, but it is a truly sexy, classic fresh scent. I always love to smell it on a man.

Quote Originally Posted by kinkajou13 View Post
    Aqua Di Gio is always a wonderful aquatic fragrance if you are looking for that sort of thing. Yes, lots of people have it, but it is a truly sexy, classic fresh scent. I always love to smell it on a man.
    My roommate wears AdG (correction: too much AdG, every single day), so I'm avoiding that scent in particular.
    Last edited by majesticj; 22nd February 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Aside from the last 6 months, I've spent my whole life in a similarly hot climate, so my wardrobe is leant toward that.

Of the ones you suggested, you really must buy TDH, absolutely. Caron 3rd Man is an outstanding fragrance although I'd think of it more for fall / winter / early spring, before it gets too hot. Nevertheless you'll end up using it because it's so good, so get it.

Back to spring summer! In addition to TDH, I find the following excellent:

Bvlgari PH and Bvlgari Acqua
    Guerlain Vetiver (or for something less tobacco, Carven Vetiver, or if you're feeling cashed up, then go for Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or Creed Vetiver 1948)
    Ungaro III is great for spring, not so much for a blisteringly hot day
    Eau Sauvage works well on me in the heat

Cheers

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

If you like Mugler, try Creed Original Vetiver.

I also live in a humid climate (Florida) and would second Terre de Hermes, also Tauer L'air du Désert Marocain.

I find that I can never smell Mugler Cologne on myself but others always can and they really love it. I don't wear it anymore now that I have purchased Miller Harris Terre de Bois. I find TdB green but much spicier, richer and fuller. The Miller Harris says that it's appropriate for winter but I don't perceive the fragrance as being much for a warm day.

Also, Terre d'Hermes is an excellent scent for the hottest days I find. Something about hot skin really makes the scent come alive. It's pretty versatile too - I wear it for almost any occasion during the warmer months.

If you don't like the chewiness of the Rochas Man dry down, maybe you should try Cannabis Santal by Fresh. It is indeed a rich fragrance but maybe not quite as dense as Rochas. The patchouli in Cannabis Santal gives it a rather sparkling quality for a oriental/gourmand scent. The supposed cannabis note is also kind of green which helps to lighten the composition. I dunno, the lavender in Rochas makes me think of it more as a cooler weather fragrance where as Cannabis Santal is a smidge more versatile. Just apply lightly in warmer weather and apply from a distance.

R
    "Yo soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma, y antes de morirme, quiero echar mis versos del alma."

José Martí

here's a few suggestions for the situations you've listed!

Daily Business: adp colonia, guerlain vetiver
    Evening: polo double black, versace man
    Classy: michael for men by michael kors, gucci ph
    Date Night: gaultier2

cheers!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

And some more thoughts

Daily Business: MPG Iris Bleu Gris, V&R Antidote, Grey Flannel
    Evening: V&R Antidote, Body Kouros, L'Anarchiste
    Classy: Iris Bleu Gris, Ungaro II, Chanel PMC, John Varvatos
    Casual: Mugler, Prada Amber, Hugo XY (it's really not bad)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Daily Business: Creed
    Evening: Creed
    Classy: Creed
    Casual: Creed

ugh.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Daily Business: Creed
    Evening: Creed
    Classy: Creed
    Casual: Creed
    Funny you say this, I just got in a batch of decants and I'd appreciate some help lumping them into some rough classifications. You might be amused that the House of Creed is somewhat overrepresented:

2,5ml atomizers
    Bandit by Robert Piguet - $3
    Eau de Rochas Homme - $3
    Erolfa by Creed - $4
    FREE Guerlain Vetiver - $3
    FREE L'eau D'Issey - $3
    Michael by Michael Kors - $4
    Millesime Imperial by Creed - $5
    Original Santal by Creed - $5
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed - $4
    Tabarome Millesime by Creed - $4
    Terre d'Hermes - $4
    "V" Pour Homme by Valentino - $3

5ml roll-on
    Ungaro III - $4
    Bvlgari Black - $4

Daily Business: Silver Mountain Water
    Evening: Original Santal
    Classy: Tabarome Millesime
    Casual: Millesime Imperial
    Summer: Erolfa

Tried wearing Silver Mountain Water today -- I'm up in DC traveling and it was a cold(er) gray day. It's a great scent... for the first three hours. Vanilla, tonka, rubber, and ink notes seem to stay on me forever, which is one of the reasons I like Bvlgari Black. With SMW there's no real vanilla, so I spent the back half of the day smelling like tar, rubber, and ink.

I'll give it a few more chances (at least until the 2,5ml sample runs out), but it's not looking good. In contrast, once I got back to the hotel I took a shower and put on some TdH and I think I'm in love.

Ok I've come around to Silver Mountain Water, but I think I'll use it as an evening scent because my skin really brings out the ink, tar, and rubber.

I tested out Michael by Michael Kors for a few days. All I can smell is tonka bean and cinnamon, blah. Perhaps I'll revisit this one in the fall when a wamer scent is appropriate, but right now it's probably not going to make the cut.

Right now I'm going to be wearing L'Eau D'Issey for the next few days. Today is Day 1 and it really hasn't given me a reason to wear it over Terre d'Hermes or Mugler Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by kinkajou13 View Post
    I'll second this recommendation in the aquatic range (also CK - Escape for men and Dior Dune for men). I don't really like AdG on myself and it's also ridiculously overpriced here. BUT I do like to smell it on others - it has amazing sillage and it just smells good This will be the next buy for the significant other...

Ok it's decision time.

L'Eau D'Issey is not a keeper, and neither is Eau de Rochas Homme, although the drydown of Eau de Rochas Homme reminded me of the drydown of Terre d'Hermes and makes me wish that my 10ml decant of it would hurry up and get here.

I need to figure out what I want to wear tonight. The choices are the following:

1. Creed Original Santal
    2. Creed Tabarome Millesime
    3. Creed Himalaya
    4. Gucci Envy
    5. Rochas Man, though I'm falling out of love with the gourmands I've tried so far.

Recommendations?

*edit*

Decants of TdH and Third Man just came in today, along with a bottle of Mugler Cologne! I guess the question of what I'm wearing tonight has been answered.
    --------------------------------------
    Ok, it's sample time again. I've been wearing Creed Millesime Imerial for the last two days and I can't get over how similar the initial blast is to Michael by Michael Kors and drydown is to Creed Silver Mountain Water. Perhaps it's my nose that's broken.

I'm going out tonight, I think I'll be wearing Creed Original Santal.

Also, I posted this in another forum, but I'm trying to build a flight of woody/oriental scents for sexy time and I need to know what I should get samples of:

Gucci Envy
    YSL M7
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Last edited by majesticj; 12th March 2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost