Code of Conduct

Default Borneo in the SL export line

Read on Makeupalley yesterday that apparently this year's Serge Lutens "exclusive going export" perfume will be Borneo 1834.

Credits to katherine5987, who heard it from Naz of The Perfume Shoppe.

Default Re: Borneo in the SL export line

Cheers, Ascella, for that. To be honest, I have to admit that I'm not surprised...

I think SL is trying to build confidence in an external export market. Naturally they would gradually introduce units that would win notoriety but I don't think I would have released Borneo next. Although many claim it is a great scent, which I have yet to test, most people don't reach for an overtly patchouly dominant fragrance.

Banned

This is great news, Borneo is my favorite from the non-export line.

Although with the price increase in the export line, it's not much more to get a bell jar...

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful news.

One of my favorite Serge's - wearing B1834 brings back a lot of good memories from two years ago, when I made some significant changes in my life that yielded positive results. Just smelling the fragrance brings me back to those good times. I think it is my favorite chocolate note ever. It's dryness makes it easy to wear in the Miami warm summer, but still comfy enough to wear in the fall/winter. I get none of the too-medicinal accord that some complain about - on me (and to my nose) it's just perfect.

I find SL's slim export spray bottles more practical. I avoid using the splash bottles in order to avoid "contaminating" the juice. Which means that I have to decant from the bell jar to use it.

In any case, its great news that Borneo will become a part of the export line.

Just a little on the side, I was trying out Profumum's "Thundra" and noticed a striking resemblance to Borneo.
    Last edited by Delmar; 15th October 2008 at 05:53 PM.

It's really a great scent and worth the predictably increased popularity due to its new status.

I think the last ones to be featured as limited exports will be Iris Silver Mist and Santal de Mysore: call it a gut feeling...

Borneo is a great one - so wearable and subtle, but really original at the same time. I never tire of it, but use it sparingly as it's so hard to come across. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't last long, and I end up using alot of it, and it just goes too fast. I'm really happy about the news! But we're talking november december here right? No point holding our breath or getting excited just yet!

Someone mentioned a price increase? As far as I know they're still the same price, both exports and non-exports.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I find Borneo's longevity to be pretty good on my skin.

I think the exports went from $110 to $120 for a 50ml bottle in the US. Oddly, they are no longer on Barney's web site, but they are still in the store (San Francisco anyway.)
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

So far they're the same price in Canada.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Must be the imploding US currency, then.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

The Perfume Shoppe (www.theperfumeshoppe.com) in Canada seems to be early out with the latest export SLs (theperfumeshoppe.com). They already have the new FIVE O'CLOCK Au Gingembre.
    Last edited by Delmar; 15th October 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Wow, sounds great. I need to retest the Borneo. I've heard it's a refined Angel Men, but sadly I don't get any chocolate note, it comes off more like hay on my skin.

i really wish they would do this with mkk
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Must be the imploding US currency, then.
    ?????
    Last edited by jdnba; 7th March 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

jdnba, I am saying that the price increase for SL exports in the US when there has not been a price increase in Canada may be due to the fact that the US dollar is faring poorly in the world market (particularly, in this case, in contrast with the Canadian dollar.)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Wow, sounds great. I need to retest the Borneo. I've heard it's a refined Angel Men, but sadly I don't get any chocolate note, it comes off more like hay on my skin.
    Nima I was under the same impression before I tested it. When I first smelled it I detected no similarities to Angel Men (same goes for my husband Ray, who wore Angel Men for years!) and yet...I can see how someone might make a comparison to them. But after having smelled both, IMO they are very different. I like Borneo much better.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th March 2008 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nima I was under the same impression before I tested it. When I first smelled it I detected no similarities to Angel Men (same goes for my husband Ray, who wore Angel Men for years!) and yet...I can see how someone might make a comparison to them. But after having smelled both, IMO they are very different. I like Borneo much better.
    Thanks, I thought I was the only one. I'm going to take a shower soon and probably put some on my wrist to test. I'm generally not a huge fan of SL, but there's a few here and there I like. I'll see how this goes.

Borneo is great, but the gourmand thing seems a little bit dated these days. IMHO, SL, of course, did it the best. Can you imagine if they released MKK as an export? There would be rioting in the streets!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th March 2008 at 03:39 AM.

Borneo is a very nice scent. Rather moody scent, for rare occasions.
    It has some very light suffocating chocolate notes.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    It's really a great scent and worth the predictably increased popularity due to its new status.

I think the last ones to be featured as limited exports will be Iris Silver Mist and Santal de Mysore: call it a gut feeling...
    I have been secretly hoping that Santal de Mysore will come out in the export bottle some day...
    The ISM problem I have already cured .

When will SL begin exporting Borneo?
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    When will SL begin exporting Borneo?
    They usually show up a month or two before Christmas, so it's not anytime soon!

By the way, I wouldn't consider Borneo a gourmand - it has cocoa in it, but it isn't sweet or syupy or thick or rich. It's dense and dark, but it's patchouli and dry cocoa which make it ethereal.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

I think the exports went from $110 to $120 for a 50ml bottle in the US. Oddly, they are no longer on Barney's web site, but they are still in the store (San Francisco anyway.)
    SL is still available on Barney's website. From the homepage you go to "Beauty" then go to "Boutique Fragrances". And, they are $120.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 8th March 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

bleu autumn haze

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I have been secretly hoping that Santal de Mysore will come out in the export bottle some day...

Oh me too! Along with MKK and Cuir Mauresque. I need to dig out my tiny sample of Borneo and test again to see if it's a must-buy or not .
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I tried this today, in a London department store and rather liked it. Shortly afterwards, I realised how CdG's Luxe Patchouli is very similar to this. For the price, Borneo would be the better of the two. However, for potency, Luxe Patchouli wins hands down...

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Borneo is a great one - so wearable and subtle, but really original at the same time. I never tire of it, but use it sparingly as it's so hard to come across. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't last long, and I end up using alot of it, and it just goes too fast. I'm really happy about the news! But we're talking november december here right? No point holding our breath or getting excited just yet!

Someone mentioned a price increase? As far as I know they're still the same price, both exports and non-exports.
    October in the US

Chergui in Dec

The Barney's site has the Borneo export bottle where the Serge Noire bottle SHOULD be. I asked the SA that always takes care of me when they would get it in and she swore they had no idea. I hope it's soon!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm not sure when it happened exactly (since I'm quoting an old post) but Exports are $120 and Non-Export (Chergui, Vetiver Oriental, Borneo, etc) are $140.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    October in the US

Chergui in Dec
    So Borneo is out already! Can't wait!

Chergui in dec?? They're re-exporting Chergui this year?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I'm not sure when it happened exactly (since I'm quoting an old post) but Exports are $120 and Non-Export (Chergui, Vetiver Oriental, Borneo, etc) are $140.
    I thought the price differential was based on concentration level... 140 for the EdPs/'haute concentrations' etc. At least that's what was explained to me at a Houston store that carries SL.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I thought the price differential was based on concentration level... 140 for the EdPs/'haute concentrations' etc. At least that's what was explained to me at a Houston store that carries SL.
    The limited exclusives usually cost the same as the high concentrations.

I wasn't aware of that price hike though - it's pretty rough!

Perfumeshoppe.ca still has them at the old prices, but they removed free shipping from the Lutens line.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

So Borneo is out already! Can't wait!

Chergui in dec?? They're re-exporting Chergui this year?
    That's what I keep hearing, but it seems strange to me.

I sent an email to Naz asking if they were going to be restocking Chergui, but didn't receive a response (which is no surprise).

Can't wait for Borneo!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I just called Barneys in San Francisco, where they are expecting Borneo 1834, and was told they don't have it yet. "This month or next" was the ETA they gave me.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I just called Barneys in San Francisco, where they are expecting Borneo 1834, and was told they don't have it yet. "This month or next" was the ETA they gave me.
    How they torture us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    At least it's coming! Borneo has been my favorite of the non-exports for a while, and I'm glad I don't have to invest in exporting a bell jar.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The Barney's site has the Borneo export bottle where the Serge Noire bottle SHOULD be. I asked the SA that always takes care of me when they would get it in and she swore they had no idea. I hope it's soon!
    How weird R...I see what you mean. A computer / web glitch?

'Any day now' they told me here.
    (They even offered to give me a call).
    Last edited by narcus; 16th October 2008 at 07:01 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It's available on Premiere Avenue for 79 Euros. http://www.shopping-premiereavenue.com/
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."