Code of Conduct

Default Some Quick Reviews...

Got some new stuff today... First, I want to praise DHL. I ordered 4 items from Beauty Encounter (formerly PerfumeBay) on Tuesday afternoon. I paid for 2nd day Air, just to be sure I'd get my stuff by the end of the week. Unfortunately, my package didn't get sent until yesterday evening. From LA. And I'm in the Midwest. My estimated delivery date was given as Monday. I was bummed out, so imagine my delight when the DHL guy showed up today (Friday) with my stuff. I had already accepted that I'd have to wait until Moday, so I wasn't expecting it. AWESOME!!!

I made a blind buy of Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme Eau d'Orient (2006 Limited Edition). Instant WOW factor for me. Knightowl called it holy grail material, and he's got a point(edit: He was talking about the 07 version-- though I'm sure they quite similar). It's very spicy, but light and crisp as well. I remember when I tried the original Opium Pour Homme years ago I didn't care for it. It was so heavy and stuffy to me. This stuff is fresher and more interesting. There's also something in this that gives me a pleasant sense of deja vu. Something about this seems to remind me of a happy time and place, but I can't put my finger on it. For a guy like me who generally dislikes orientals on account of sweetness, this fragrance is a godsend. Eau d'Orient feels a bit like Spring to me-- like this could be a Spring/Summer Oriental. I'll be anxious now to try the others from the Opium line, but I can't imagine any of them being as good as this (for my needs). I want to thank Knightowl and all the others for recommending this one-- it's going into heavy rotation.

I also wanted to get something from Guerlain's Habit Rouge line. I'd tried the EDP before but it was a bit too heavy for my style. I wound up making a blind buy of Habit Rouge EDT Legere (light version). Hey, I like it. It doesn't even seem that far removed from the character of the EDP. You smell it and you know it's Habit Rouge right away. More zing in the topnotes. Still lots of vanilla. This sort of reminds me a little of L'Artisan's Patchouli Patch a little. I haven't worn Habit Rouge Legere long enough to know how well it's going to last, but it actually seems pretty stout. I still get some of the animal notes in it. That character that Scentemental described as "lanolin" seems to be present in this one. More wearable for me than the original. Also, I think the bottle is cool. Not as cool as a leather wrapped EDP bottle, or a metal EDT flask, but still-- it looks cool with the red bezel around the cap and the red colored atomizer tube that cuts through the juice.

I finally got my own bottle of Caron's L'Anarchiste. I was given a sample of it once and loved it. I used it up long ago and always wanted to get a bottle. I couldn't wait anymore. It's true that this fragrance flirts with smelling like Deep Woods Off, but after five minutes the clove cigarettes come out and this stuff hits its stride. God, I've missed L'Anarchiste. It's so mysterious, independent, and quirky. Yet also so well-made. Wrought iron gates and the hint of pie crust. Mint and copper. Also, Caron has put so much care into the design and packaging that it's the most fun I've ever had unboxing a fragrance. It comes in a big black box with black on black lettering. The bottle is entombed in a black cardboard tray with a bunch of poetry embossed into it. You lift the asymmetric flaps and there it is... That whimsical yet morbid copper tombstone/flask bottle. Best bottle ever. It's glass, but it's covered in some kind of copper finish. There's a big note informing the user about how the bottle is designed to tarnish over time and develop a patina. The first thing I did was take my hands and give the bottle a good rub-down. I can already see where it's going to start changing. Very cool. Also, there's a strip of glass down the back of the bottle that lets you see how much juice is left. There is so much attention to detail in this fragrance-- I really stand in awe of Caron for devoting so much to such a wonderful individualistic EdT. I rotate my fragrances on my shelf, but I don't think this bottle can ever leave "the mantle".

OK, one more. I got a mini of DK Men (Fuel). I'd smelled it years ago and figured my best chance to get a bottle would be to just get one of the minis that are floating around. I'm kind of shocked. It doesn't quite rekindle any memories. I'm sure the stock is getting old since this is discontinued, but it just seems different. I like it, but I was expecting more of a connection. Perhaps it was Unleaded that I smelled originally. Either way, It's still a great fragrance. I like the pineapple and gasoline notes. Almost boozy. I can't believe this had to be discontinued.

A good day for me. Two new blind buys that I love, and two old flames that I'm reunited with. Also, Beauty Encounter threw in a big bag of samples. Mostly designer stuff-- about half of it is womens' and most of the mens' is common stuff, but I'll make use of it. There's a sample of Davidoff Zino, which I'd been wanting. I've got some guys I work with who are always asking me for cologne-- so I think everything will find a good home.

Time to book an appointment with the Gallo clinic. I think I'm done for a while.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 9th March 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some Quick Reviews...

Thank you for putting into words what I've tried to do but couldn't...maybe that's why I'm still a newbie and learning :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

I finally got my own bottle of Caron's L'Anarchiste. I was given a sample of it once and loved it. I used it up long ago and always wanted to get a bottle. I couldn't wait anymore. It's true that this fragrance flirts with smelling like Deep Woods Off, but after five minutes the clove cigarettes come out and this stuff hits its stride. God, I've missed L'Anarchiste. It's so mysterious, independent, and quirky. Yet also so well-made. Wrought iron gates and the hint of pie crust. Mint and copper. Also, Caron has put so much care into the design and packaging that it's the most fun I've ever had unboxing a fragrance. It comes in a big black box with black on black lettering. The bottle is entombed in a black cardboard tray with a bunch of poetry embossed into it. You lift the asymmetric flaps and there it is... That whimsical yet morbid copper tombstone/flask bottle. Best bottle ever. It's glass, but it's covered in some kind of copper finish. There's a big note informing the user about how the bottle is designed to tarnish over time and develop a patina. The first thing I did was take my hands and give the bottle a good rub-down. I can already see where it's going to start changing. Very cool. Also, there's a strip of glass down the back of the bottle that lets you see how much juice is left. There is so much attention to detail in this fragrance-- I really stand in awe of Caron for devoting so much to such a wonderful individualistic EdT. I rotate my fragrances on my shelf, but I don't think this bottle can ever leave "the mantle".

Wow, reading that makes me wish I would have sprung for a new bottle of L'Anarchiste, just for the packaging. It sits firmly at spot #3 for me, and I don't foresee it falling from my top 5 anytime soon. Classy, elegant, challenging, and pure quality. Love that scent.

That Opium sounds quite nice. While I like orientals as a whole, I prefer those that retain a lighter character. They're more versatile and less likely to wear out their welcome. I'm going to have to try and find a sample of that.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I bought the Legere,last year. It has quickly become a favourite,for me. The "zing" in the topnotes is a nice,sharp and citrusy zing,it's excellent. Less vanilla/leather/animalistic than the EDT,I think of it as the EDT with the volume turned down,to a mellow,laid-back level. I look at the two something like this: EDT = Drum & Bass + Legere = Dub

Post Thanks / Like

That patina development thing on the L'Anarchiste bottle is awesome - although I have gone off from the fragrance itself, its perhaps the only frag I might buy just because of the bottle.

Thanks for the reviews as well, its always good to read your comments and latest observations.
    -

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

When I saw in the 'Today I Bought' thread that you'd bought four new frags Indie - two of them blind, I was worried for you. Glad to hear that everything came up roses for you.

The Opium sounds fantastic - I am so in love with my EdP so I really need to give myself more time to get to know the EdP formula first, before I start venturing to the others. I remember scentemental sending me a PM (when I posted a newbie question about Opium) that I should definitely seek out this 'EdO' version of Opium Homme because it was so good, in his opinion. Your post confirms this. A spring-y/summer-y mens oriental fragrance sounds incredibly wonderful. I'm super jealous.

Habit Rouge....one of the 'classics' that I still have not smelled. What am I waiting for?? I have a EdC sample I will get to sample one of these days...but now, you have me thinking the Legere should be given a proper sniff also. Hmmm...

L'Anarchiste - I can only relate to your appreciation of the bottle. I'd never heard anybody describe the bottle before - I didn't know the backside was transparent glass with a coppery aged patina front and sides. I love L'Anarchiste's whole 'art direction': the bottle and font lettering, the shape, name, etc. But the scent? Well, it's not for me. I smelled it for the first time and remember calling it a 'study on cinnamon' here on the boards. I immediately sneezed when I smelled it (like Rose Poivree by TDC did) it was so pungent. I gave it about 7 or 8 full wearings before I realized I couldn't pull it off. For my strange spice fix, I head for my bottle of CdG EdP.

You can keep your DK. I did NOT like it when I sampled it. I remember distinctly scrubbing it off after a few minutes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th March 2008 at 04:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Légère has very little to nothing in common with the original. It's sharp, loud, perfumey (has the sillage of a relatively loud feminine fruity floral), and among many other things, has none of the earthy root-like accord of the original. Like most Guerlains, it's well constructed and uses quality ingredients, but that can't save it. It should have never been released. Terrible stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th June 2008 at 05:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You sent the chill down my spine! I'm waiting for Opium (2007) too. I thought it would arrive today, but no, the postman showed up with nothing for my house. Guess it would be here on Monday and yes, no custom charge please.

Yang will come with Opium, including Chevignon.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I'm glad you're enjoying the Opium PH Eau d' Orient, Indie. Wear it in good health .

Funny thing is, i always think about that Opium...even when wearing other fantastic fragrances like Bond's New Haarlem and Chanel's Egoiste.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thanks for all your comments guys.

To Latch and Pluran, I can see where each of you are coming from with regard to Habit Rouge Legere.

I agree, Latch, with your music analogy of Habit Rouge Legere. I wore it to work tonight and enjoyed it. I liked that two sprays under my shirt was the perfect "volume". It stayed right in my personal space and didn't "wander" out into strangers when I didn't want it to. The EdP puts out too much sillage for me (in those daily situations where I'd want to wear it). The Legere is still Habit Rouge. It's by no means a "Habit Rouge Sport." I'm not going to wear it in the most casual situations. However, I think it's good for work and professional wear. I like the lime note in this quite a bit.

Pluran, I also get what you mean about the Neroli note in this being a bit "up" in the mix. Something about it is almost a bit "skunky", though I like the smell overall. The skunkiness is actually similar to an accord that I get in Montale's White Aoud. Kind of the smell of a rubber balloon-- which is probably a weird thing to be saying about Habit Rouge. I think you have a valid point about the white musk. It does come across a bit powdery. It's nowhere near as complex as the EDP with its agarwood note. Still, I have to confess that Habit Rouge was never my personal favorite Guerlain so I'm not too worried about any liberties taken in creating a lighter version. I wore it to work tonight and really enjoyed it. But yeah, this is a stripped down version of Habit Rouge-- and I think it works better on me. I don't like it as much when I sit and constantly try to sniff where I sprayed it, but when I just go about my business and let the sillage come and go on its own, it smells really good. On a side note though, my brother went through my new scents and he said he didn't care for Habit Rouge Legere-- though he probably wouldn't like the regular Habit Rouge anyway. He was amazed that L'Anarchiste "actually smelled like rust--like the bottle" in his opinion.

To Mike, ZZ, Jellybean, and SculptureofSoul-- yep, L'Anarchiste can be a challenging scent with plenty of people who love it or hate it, but we can all agree, that's one HELL of a bottle/package. Everything about it--even the font of "L'Anarchiste" on the bottle is just perfect. Very Tim Burton, and I think the scent follows this theme-- but in an unexpected way. It's not a "dark" fragrance in the typical goth/black incense kind of way. But like I said before, aside from the marketing/packaging-- when I smell this fragrance, I seriously get the smell of wrought iron (well the abstract idea of such a smell. But it struck my nose that way when I first tried a sample and had never seen the bottle). I also get the dry warm feeling of a fire that is burning and throwing shadows over a room. I love L'Anarchiste from top to bottom.

To Knightowl, thanks for turning me on to the Opium PH EdO. I wasn't expecting that a fragrance could be so spicy without being big sugary mess. KiatBkk, I think you'll like it. Really unique smelling. I'm curious to see how this is going to perform in warm weather.

Yep, I'm kind of big on blind buys, but only after I've read a ton of reviews. I figure if I really don't like a scent, I can always trade or sell it, but I've had good luck with blind buys so far.