Code of Conduct

Default the continued pursuit for 'the holy grail' of perfume

i suppose there are many like me out there, we have our absolute favourite scents but just can't help ourselves continue to seek more out, searching for the ultimate scent....until the next one. it's all good fun though expensive fun too but will we ever be satisfied with our lot. judging by the size of some basenotes members' wardrobes i doubt it but has anyone found their ultimate fragrance and is now happy to stop seeking out others, i doubt it and i suppose they would not be on this site/forum if they had. for me it's about building a great collection of scents that hopefully won't get out of control, at present i have about 25 but have got rid of a few recently which i could not fathom why i purchased them in the first place. i suppose my knowledge and tastes in fragrances has become a lot more sophisticated over time and i now make less mistakes with my purchases. i do a lot of research and sample a scent a good few times now before i open the wallet. my best discoveries in the last twelve months have been reflection by amouage, ormonde man and isfarkand by ormonde jayne and lalique(lion) pour homme. am currently sampling a few scents from the bois 1920 and perfumerie generale ranges and feel certain that i will purchase one or two scents from these collections. i still really enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the joy of finding a special scent but then i usually want to go hunting again pretty soon.

Default Re: the continued pursuit for 'the holy grail' of perfume

Hmm, I haven't been hunting for the perfect scent, i'm just hunting for scents I like to begin a wardrobe and, anything I see for ridiculously cheap, I just buy. I don't feel bad about it, as most of them are insignificant amounts, and if I don't like them, they get passed onto my dad/friends I think I will get to a more critical stage eventually

Btw, Where did you get Bois 1920 samples from in England?

My current Holy Grail find is Paul Smith London. Discovered it last summer. Polo mints, brandy and sandalwood. Truly unique in my neck of the woods (nobody else seems to wear it here in Canada), and women love it on me!

i dont think i have found mine...but yeh...i keep going back to some colonges from the lagerfeld stable (classic, photo & KL homme...)

There is no such thing. Otherwise, the perfume industry will be doomed.

holy grail reminds me of the Monty Python movies

Whats so funny about biggus Kouros. Why do you laugh when I say biggus Kouros?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

For many moons I have wanted to own just one, "That One". The one I could wear with utter confidence, comfort, and satisfaction. I have come to realize that my true holy grail is actually a culmination of what it takes to apease my ego and curiosity.

My holy grail scent would smell like a peruvian orchid (Sobralia withneri) native to the montane rainforest - (lower slopes of the Andes before becoming the amazon basin). I still haven't tried Tom Ford's Black Orchid but, sigh, I doubt if it comes near to that scent!

I keep finding new "holy grails" in scents. Some that have been past holy grail scents are: Geurlain Imperiale, Erolfa, Patou Pour Homme, Avignon, Mugler Cologne, Rose 31, Cuir Mauresque. But now I realize that there are not any true holy grails in fragrance. But there are fragrance soltuions to the needs of a particular moment in time.

My relentless pursuit of the grail started when I had about 20 bottles. I couple years later I had about 160 bottles. It was then that I realized that I already had many "grails". I now have about 100 bottles and really love about 50 of them.

Cliff Notes - the search for the grail can get out of hand if you let it.

I used to look for my Holy Grail scent, but now I've realized that fragrance is somewhat like clothing for me. I wouldn't want to wear the same clothes every day for very long. But I can find my Top 10 - and that's fine by me.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

As with the story of the true holy grail, the search is what matters, not the obtaining.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    As with the story of the true holy grail, the search is what matters, not the obtaining.
    The story is a legend (or a bundle of legends) and according to the legend the holy grail has been obtained and did spend life in the hands of those worthy to obtain it. But as all legends go ...they cannot be revived on this planet !
    I have also been on that pilgrimage. Why else would I own more than a hundred silly bottles now? I am too ashamed to even counting them. We all look for happiness in life. But or brain has been programmed to continue looking the moment we reach that state of complete happiness or satisfaction! We are lucky enough going from climax to climax with little more than time to recover in between. The hunt for happiness is what makes the world go around and therefore really all that matters !
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.