Code of Conduct

Default what do you think of Dune, by Dior?

The other day, I found Dior's Dune at the local Penneys. Sephora didn't have it in stock and I hadn't seen it in ages. Out of sight, out of mind....

Anyway, I suddenly needed to try it. Much to my surprise, the late drydown was soft and hypnotic - almost baby soft and a skin scent. A little dry and lightly spicy in the middle notes (I guess the "dune / sand dune" component), a bit sweet at the beginning, but not obnoxiously so, and baby soft at the end. The development was so surprising; it's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to smell such distinct phases in a scent and it was quite fun.

It was released in the early 90's to great fanfare. Those were the days I had my head buried in books and my hands buried in lab equipment - missed it entirely.

So, what do you think of Dune? If you own it, how often do you wear it? For what seasons? What occasiona? Do you receive compliments? Is it a staple or did you tire of it fairly quickly?

Default Re: what do you think of Dune, by Dior?

I'll have to resniff.
    I remember thinking it was pretty, perhaps some Calone in it, too.
    Aquatic notes are like hurdles for me- if I can get over them, I'm home free.
    [I don't mind seashells and lowtide, strangely enough- it just has to smell 'organic' to me]

I've never tried it, but always wondered. It sounds nice.

I wear it, but in the 1994 I was happier with it! It used to be having more character, more citrucy zing and deeper ambery bite, if you would. Now I have a modern EdP (Made in France, purchased in the UK!) and back in the 1990 went through two bottles of Dune EdT. The older versions are easy to spot, they will have black on the bottlom of the box, while on newer versions's boxes it is all about different shades of orange. Not happy with what I got now: no longevity, sits close to skin and -- you are absolutely right! -- becomes powdery. Anyone wants mine?
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th March 2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Had to correct the country of origin

Twolf had sent me a decant of the EDP & I loved but the EDP is extremely hard to get so I gave up and bought the EDT...luckily it's just as nice!

So sorry I lied -- I checked it right now, and it is Made in France, it was just purchased in the UK. The offer still stands!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Anyone wants mine?
    Hmm... I'm sorely tempted... how much for eh Twolfie?

This stuff is great but it was also a bit out of sight out of mind for me until recently I think it's underrated though.
    Last edited by jillsy; 8th March 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Dune is one of my favourite summer fragrances; I love it on a hot, dry day. It's a little spicy, but I mostly get dried grasses from it. To me it seems both sophisticated and new-agey. I have the EdT and it is strong (have to be very careful about over-applying) and has good staying power.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Older EdT is the best!

Jillsy, you got a PM, babes!

I bought and wore Dune when it first was released. Can I say I always found it very similar to Roma.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Can I say I always found it very similar to Roma.
    Aha! That's what it reminded me of, I just couldn't place it! Thank you, Donna

Thank you for the comments and thanks for the tip about the black on the bottom of the box. All they had was the new box. Lasting power is significant. I'm going to look for the old and compare.

Has anyone tried the "soft perfume concentrate spray"?
    Last edited by seattlelight; 8th March 2008 at 01:27 PM.

It is EdP, also called Esprit de Parfum.

Have you ever read any of the Dune novels or seen the movie Dune? If so you'll understand my quirk for thinking of the Spice everyone cares about, as smelling like Dune when I wear it.

Ideas like this kept me out of some of the better schools of course.

I do love Dune.

I love Dune. I don't own any now but I went through a couple of bottles of it in the 90's. I tended to wear it mainly in warmer weather....I don't really know the reasons why for that as it would be completely wearable in colder months too.

It's a beautiful comforting scent - like a hug in a bottle! Thinking on...I would really like this one in my collection again - I may have to repurchase this one!

Hi Fred, we sure have read and seen! I even mentioned the fact in one of them very first Teasers.

I'll tell you what I think, it's one of the most wonderful scents I've smelled on a woman

I think its a lovely fragrance in all weather, day or night ! It always reminds me of the sea...
    Last edited by Artemisia; 10th March 2008 at 12:47 PM.

Another one that is underrated and almost forgotten.
    Dior has also today made some real gems (i.e. not only long ago with my beloved Miss Dior ;-)), Dune is one of them.

It reminds me of one exact thing/smell i have loved since those childhood days in the august-heat of Denmark: the smell of sandy dunes and dry seagrasses.
    Along with the taste of salt water on sun-dried skin it is the epitome of summer and relaxing time for me.
    Don't care for the season i wear it in. It fits always.Any wardrobe, any continent. It's more a statement than a perfume, really.
    Agree that it shares some facets with Roma. The orange and amber...
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

I love the DUNE's bath soap.. so divine .

Reading all these posts have made me want to go get a bottle of Dune. I used to wear it in the late 90's and it wore well on me. Got many compliments. Don't know why I did not buy it again when I ran out. I think probably it was when I got in the Annick Goutal phase which I'm now outgrowing.

The Dune parfum is very similar to OJ Tolu. I am not sure if it is the amber or the tolu that comes through in both. The Dune parfum is very rich and warm and quite different from the edt or edp. No topnotes or floral heart.