Code of Conduct

Default Just Back From my Trip to London

Hi everyone, not long back from London and I thought I would let you know how I got on, so I will start from the beginning of the day and let you know what I tsted, what I liked, and what ultimately got purchased! There were a lot of close purchases, and I certainly will be ordering a few through mail order or other sources, depending on the finances in the coming months, or when I return to London later in the year.

HARRODS

First stop on my trip was Harrods. I spent a little time in the mens fragrance section, which had an excellent choice of Creed fragrances, as well as Ralph Lauren Purple Label, which I have nver seen in Glasgow. It was a nice fragrance, but at 57.50 it seemed quite expensive.

I then ventured into the more interesting main perfumerie area and the first counter of interest was the Tom Ford Private Blends. I didnt manage to try them all, and the two the stick out at me are the creamy and sensual Tobacco Vanille and the equally fantastic Oud Wood. Both were sold out on my visit and I believe there is a waiting list for them, I am tempted to be added to it for the Tobacco Vanille. Hopefully I will get the chance to test more of the range another time, but as I like two of the fragrances I have enough to save up for already!!

I then walked round and sampled the Canali Black Diamond fragrance, which is a nice fresh scent, although it does not justify the 55 price tag.

The next part of my encounter took me to the Armani counter and the exclusive Privie range. I tried all of the fragrances on the card and kept the cards of the fragrances I liked, which were the new Rose and Vetiver EDT's and Bois D'Encens and Pierre De Lene EDP's. Having went back to the cards I have decided that I really enjoy the fresh, floral green notes of the Vetiver and the smoky insense of Bois d'Encens. I may call up and request a sample of those two. Pierre De Lune is also a fantastic scent, but I am not sure if would suit me, so perhaps I will equest a ample of this also as it may be nicer on the skin.

After a brief stop at the Zegna counter, when the SA sent two bottles flying (I managed to save one but the other one smashed to smithereens!), it was over to Prade and their exclusive range of fragrances. They only had number one toseven here (I know that there is ten in total, three new ones launched in 2008) and these fragrances reek of quality.

Number 1 (Iris) comes across as a luxurios blend of Iris and Musk which I cant stop smelling.
    Number 2 (Carnation) is a sexy floral with hints of sandalwood and musk.
    Number 3 (Cuir Ambre) is an adorable amber scent, with the softness of sandalwood and vanilla absolute creating a sensual base in this one!
    Number 4 (Fleur D'Oranger) is a fantastically juicy orange blossom scent, with the jasmin sambac another prominent note in the mix.
    Number 5 (Narciso) comes accross as a mix of orange blossom and musk.
    Number 6 (Tuberose) is extremely floral, with a mixture of tuberose and rose/violet accord coming out in the notes
    Number 7 (Violette) is another floral fragrance which is very subtle.

My favourites are the Iris, Duir Ambre and Fleur D'Oranger, and definately see me making a purchase of one of these some time this year. they are extremely expensive, at 140 for a 30ml bottle, although you can get the travel edition for 103 if you dont want the sophisticated leather case for your bottle. I definately want to try 8, 9 and 10 the next time I am in town.

I tried another two fragrances in the main perfumery before venturing up to the Roja Dove perfumerie. The first was Exceptionnel Homme, the new fragrance by Mont Banc. The liquid is almost orange in colour in a nicely shaped bottle, and the fragrance is nice although perhaps not exceptional enough to demand a purchase. The last fragrance to try here was the Dunhill "London" fragrance. Perhaps I didnt give it enough time, but I have one word for this release, and that is generic. Another real disappointment, but what can you expect from Proctor and Gamble these days.

After that it was up the stairs to the Roja Dove perfumerie. I saw some fragrances I liked, although it did take some time to get enough attention to get some cards to spray the fragraces on (looked like the SA had someone with money in so ordinary Joe Bloggs doesnt matter so much!) Well, I checked out some great fragrances here, the first being Parfums MDCI's Ambre Topkapi, which is simply divine. If it wasnt for the 160 price tag (approx $320) I would have purchased it, but I feel it would be better to order from Lucky Scent ($225).

They also stocked the Bois 1920 range, which I tried and enjoyed, before finding the two frangrance that I enjoy the best. The first is the Classic 1920, which is fresh and sexy with the sandalwood and amber, and the Vetiver Ambratto, which has a richer and more sensual amber feel to it! Both are excellent and definately on the ever growning want list. The price was 92 each which is slightly more expensive then the $160 at Luckyscent.

The last fragrance I sampled was Lubin's Idole, which was nice with it's shap rum and orange peel twist. However, I just could not justify paying 69 for a fagrance that is on Luckyscent for $90 (Approx 45)

HARVEY NICHOLS

I then left for Harvey Nichols, in order to seek out some more exclusive brands there. I walked around the main erfumerie section here but did not try much. Had a nice conversation with the SA at the Bond No 9 counter about Bond No 9, Le Labo and other fragrances, and it is always great to talk to someone who is really interested in fragrance. She added me to a VIP list to get e-mail information and samples of new products so we shall see what comes of that.

I then went to the fourth flor to the La Floret de Perfume section, with it's many exclusive fragrance lines. The first set I tried was the Les Fontaines line. I managed to cut it down to the one I really liked, but unfortunatel th name was not written down for me. It came in a bottle that had a rainbow pattern with the colours in the midle, so if anyone knows the name or where I can check out for more information online please let me know! I also sampled some of the Maitre Parfumer et gantier line here, which are quite exquisite, but did not kep the cards. The other fragrance line I tried was th Parfums D'Empire, which I looked forward to sampling. I am sorry but these fragrances are vile to my nose, the Fougere Bengale and Ambre Russe filling me with horror at the thought of wearing them, so unfortunately neither scent was for me.

LES SENTEURS

I knew that I was going to make a purchase here, as I had received a few Parfumerie Generale samples and was delighted by both Coze and Cadjmere. I was hoping to purchase Coze as I love its velvety coffee, chocolate and vanilla smoothness. However, I was informed that they had sold out of the 50ml botle, so I plumped for Cadjmere instead, which start off powdery before reaching the creamy base notes that smell like paradise.

I was considering purchasing a Malle scent, and I liked the French Lover fragrance which I have a tester of, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend 70 on it. I think it is the fact that I have Narciso Rodriguez's For Him, which is a fantastic green scent that I felt I did not have real reason to spend so much on a green scent so soon after. With regards to the rest of the Malle line, I haveto say I was extremely disappointed by what it offered, as there were no fragrances that struck me down with awe. Perhaps it would be different if I had tested on my skin, but the closest to purchase was Frech Lover and Bigarde Concentree. Perhaps I will buy one of these the next time I am in London, even if only in th ravel spray edition.

I also tried Kinze Ten while I was in store, which was ok, as well as Serge Lutens Fleur D'Orangeur which I cant get in Glasgow. I really liked the Fleur D'Orangeur, although 62 is a bit much for a SL fragrance.

So the first purchase was Parfumerie Generale No 18 (Cadjmere), which cost 57.50. I also received samples of the following:

Creed - Original Santal, Silver Mountain Water, Neroli Savage
    Maitre Parfumer et Gantier - Santal Noble, racine, Abre Precieux
    Parfumerie Generale - Bois Blonde, Querelle

I definately want to add to my Perfumerie Generale collection, which give me a good reason to return to Les Senteurs. Hopfully they will get more exciting lines in store very soon!

LIBERTY

Liberty was one of the most anticipated stores of my visit to London, whichhas of course the Le Labo collection available which was something I was definately looking forward to!!

I managed to stop myself from going straight to the Le Labo counter and walked straight to the main perfumery. The first fragrance I checked out was Derring Do by Ineke, which I had liked the look of when checking out products online. I have to admit I was terribly underwhelmed by this one, a light citrus fresh scent that certainly didnt justify the 54 price tag. Maybe a sample of the product would help as it might be better on the skin, but I saw no evidence it being a worthy purchse.

I then tried L'Homme D'Coeur by Divine, which was a nice fresh fragrance and a close purchase along with Anvers 2 with Ulrich Lang. I actually returned to the store with the intention of purchasing one of these fragrances before it was time to deaprt the shopping district but decided to save my money for the time being.

I tried for the first time the L'Artisan fragrance range. There was many that I liked but my personal favourites were the fantastic Vanilla, fresh and energetic Timbuktu and Mure et Musk. there were many others that I didnt get to try, so I may have to try and get some samples from somewhere! I never tried the Keiko Macheri or limited edition Miller Harris fragrance, so I guess these will have t wait until next time. I had a brief sniff at Guerilla 2 by Commes de Garcons, to be polite I will say that it must be an acquired taste. I didnt have the chance to check out the full range, so thats for anther time!

I then ventured round to the Le Labo counterand went through each of the fragrances, sniffing them through the bottle and checking the dry down on the cards. I liked the Rose, Neroli, Fleurs D'Oranger and the Patchouli, before whittling it down to the final two of Neroli and Fleur D'Oranger, which I sprayed on my hand. After consultation with the Le Labo advisor and my girlfriend I decided to go for the Fleur D'Oranger. It smelled fantastic and vibrant on my hand, and I now have 50ml to look forward to! I certainly enjoyed Neroli from the time it was on my hand, so perhaps this will will be a future purchase at some time. Lets hope that they cook up a great exclusive scent for London too, as it will be something new for my to sample next time!

Only one purchase here: Le Labo - Fleur D'Oranger 50ml for 80

SELFRIDGES

And now onto the last store of my fragrance trip. It took a while to get through to the right section (I spoke to two sales assistants, asking where the niche perfumery was, and they did not have a clue what "niche" was, getting annoyed when I tried to explain what I was looking for, looking at me as if I was an idiot before one asked over David who worked with the Niche fragrances, who explained to his colleague exactly what I was talking about.

I have to say, it was a leasure being in David's company, as he was a guy who loves fragrances as much as I do, telling stories of many f his fragrance purchases and where to buy other fragrances from. I showed him my previous purchase and he went to show them off to his colleagues, andtold me he would check out Parfumerie Generale on his day off! We had a great laugh together with him and he really went out of his way to help me. One particular moment of great comedy value was when he brought over the tester for YSL L'Homme, with limited ediion bottle shaped as an upside down test tube with the same stopper, and being suggestive as to what the girls were saying about it!! (It really has to be seen to be believed)

I didnt really sample too much here as I already had a fragrance in mind, which was Miller et Bertaux "close your eyes, and...." which is a fantastic sensual fragrance, which on first application dries down to a velvety chocolate scent, but I will have to wear it properly before giving a better description.

The second fragrance purchased was out of the ordinary for me... a women's fragrance. I purchased Juiliette Has a Gun's Lady Vengeance, a fantastic rose scent that dries down to a creamy vanilla fragrance, that really works on my skin. He gave my girlfriend several samples before taking me through and showing me the counter selling the Miller Harris exclusives, where I managed to get some samples before concluding my shopping trip and preparing for home! It had been a long long day for me and especially Anna.

My purchases here were:

Miller et Bertaux - Close Your Eyes, and.... 55
    Juliette Has A Gun - Lady Vengeance 40

I received samples (Two of each)

Miller Harris - Fleurs De Sel, Piment Des Baies, Eau De Vert, Jasmin Vert.

So now it looks like I have a list of about twenty fragrances that I want to purchase at much expense, as they look like being the most expensive ones! I could have easily of bought several of the fragrances i liked but didnt want to rush out and buy o an impulse. Next time I am in London I will know where to look and what to look for, saving time and allowing me to relax more on my next trip!! I really do recommend London for anyone looking to go shopping for fragrances, as there isnt too much you wont be able to find here!

Default Re: Just Back From my Trip to London

wow. that sounds like a fab day out. you must have been completely knackered after all that sniffing! thanks for the interesting report.

What a wonderful but wallet draining day!

Thank you fir the fun post - but your nose must gotten very tired!
    Sometimes one finds an antique vial which remembers,
    Whence gushes forth a living soul returned to life

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Exhausted!
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

A detailed and an enjoyable read, thanks for sharing with us.

I am yet to try the Prada exclusives. Is Lady Vengeance a distinctive rose fragrance?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I love Harrods! The 30ml Parfums are £92 (With the leather sleeve, as far as I am aware) at the Prada boutique itself ! The Bond no 9 SA at Nicks is fantastic, so is the one at Harrods!

I got sent scented cards of Caron Tabac Blond and Idole de Lubin. I really want both of them, but refuse to pay the extortionate prices, when I know both are available at other places at atleast £20 cheaper!

Wow , very detailed indeed! I enjoyed reading it. Some good purchases you made there too.
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    A detailed and an enjoyable read, thanks for sharing with us.

I am yet to try the Prada exclusives. Is Lady Vengeance a distinctive rose fragrance?
    Hi zztopp,

Lady Vengeance is a distinct rose fragrance, yet the Bulgarian rose comes accross as an alluring unisex scent, with the patchoulli lingering in the background. The dry down has subtle hint of the rose in the distance as the vanilla becomes the true dominant force at the heart of the fragrance. I really enjoyed wearing it on Friday, o if it sounds interesting you might want to try a sample.

The price was quite reasonable at £40 and I believe it csts a similar price in the USA ($80), s it isnt a fragrance that hits you too hard in the pocket. I also like the design of the bottle and box, which makes it an attractive addition to the collection, compared to the cardboard box my Le Labo fragrance is resting in!!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Ahh, I love Harrods! The 30ml Parfums are £92 (With the leather sleeve, as far as I am aware) at the Prada boutique itself ! The Bond no 9 SA at Nicks is fantastic, so is the one at Harrods!
    Hi Vivek,

I was told that the travel edition (Where yu get the leather sleeve instead of the leather case) was £103 to purchase and the fragrances i the leather cases were cheaper than £140 if you bought two (cant remember price) or four (£469)

I have some other priorities first, although I will definately get round to purchasing one later this year! The Iris fragrance has the sexiest musk that I have ever smelt, and the Carnation and Cuir Ambre are simply delightful!

You should check out Selfridges in April as they will be stocking the Nasomatto fragrances for £76... thats information for a new thread in itself!
    Last edited by LeeScot; 9th March 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Nice reading! A lot of my samples have come from Les Senteurs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. I plan to visit London soon.
    I will definetelly smell Prada exclusive line, P.Generale scents.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 9th March 2008 at 06:06 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Hey, thanks for sharing your perfume adventures, in London, with us!

Just a couple of comments:

Quote Originally Posted by LeeScot View Post
    After that it was up the stairs to the Roja Dove perfumerie. I saw some fragrances I liked, although it did take some time to get enough attention to get some cards to spray the fragraces on (looked like the SA had someone with money in so ordinary Joe Bloggs doesnt matter so much!) Well, I checked out some great fragrances here, the first being Parfums MDCI's Ambre Topkapi, which is simply divine. If it wasnt for the 160 price tag (approx $320) I would have purchased it, but I feel it would be better to order from Lucky Scent ($225).

They also stocked the Bois 1920 range, which I tried and enjoyed, before finding the two frangrance that I enjoy the best. The first is the Classic 1920, which is fresh and sexy with the sandalwood and amber, and the Vetiver Ambratto, which has a richer and more sensual amber feel to it! Both are excellent and definately on the ever growning want list. The price was 92 each which is slightly more expensive then the $160 at Luckyscent.

The last fragrance I sampled was Lubin's Idole, which was nice with it's shap rum and orange peel twist. However, I just could not justify paying 69 for a fagrance that is on Luckyscent for $90 (Approx 45)
    I've never bothered with this section of Harrods (although I've only known about Roja Dove for a few months) but are you saying that their prices are inflated? The ground floor frags are usually priced at retail, or a tad higher, so I'm quite curious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeScot View Post
    I have to say, it was a leasure being in David's company, as he was a guy who loves fragrances as much as I do, telling stories of many f his fragrance purchases and where to buy other fragrances from. I showed him my previous purchase and he went to show them off to his colleagues, andtold me he would check out Parfumerie Generale on his day off! We had a great laugh together with him and he really went out of his way to help me. One particular moment of great comedy value was when he brought over the tester for YSL L'Homme, with limited ediion bottle shaped as an upside down test tube with the same stopper, and being suggestive as to what the girls were saying about it!! (It really has to be seen to be believed)
    LOL! It's funny but I was speaking with David earlier today! He's always in the corner, in between the Serge Lutens and D'Orsay frags. He's the only Selfridges SA that I have conversations with. He's much more knowledgeable than most department store SAs, is great to talk to and never feeds you any bulls**t. I'm glad to hear that he came to your assistance.

Anyway, it's great reading that you had such a fun time!

Hi Trebor,

You can understand why David deals with the more exclusive fragrances, as I found Selfridges had exceptionally poor for customer service when speaking to any other sales assistant, no product knowlege and no knowledge of where certain fragrances can be found!

You know what it is like when two pwple who are into fragrances meet, they can talk for ever. I think we were speaking to him for about 45 minutes on Thursday and could have easily went on for longer, if Anna and I were not so tired and it wasn't David's tea break time!

Do you pop into Selfridges often? If so, can you post on the board when they have the Nasomatto fragrances in stock? The distribution company said the Selfridges will have this fragrance exclusively from April, and I dont know if this will be stocked where David is based (most likely), or beside the Miller Harris exclusives as there are a few fragrances through there.

I enjoyed my time in London, and hope to do it again later on in the year!! Hopefully there will be lots of new scents to try out when I return!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I am extremely jealous at your chance to sniff all of the Prada exclusives - they're rarer than a hens tooth here in Miami!

Thanks for sharing your day! I'm so curious to know your impressions of Querelle and Fleurs de Sel... let us/me know!