Code of Conduct

Post Serge Lutens: Rose de Nuit or Sa Majesté la Rose?

Hello Guys!
    I'm trying to venture into the rose fragrances!
    And I love Serge Lutens griffe! I almost only wear Serge lutens creations!
    But I have a doubt!!!
    Rose de Nuit or Sa Majesté la Rose?
    I've rread all the reviews in Basenotes! I think Sa Majesté la Rose is the most popular!
    But there is something in Rose de Nuit that intrigues me!
    Could someone help me with this one?
    Thank you for yout time!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Serge Lutens: Rose de Nuit or Sa Majesté la Rose?

Wear what you feel the most comfortable in. Our opinions really don't matter...what matters is if it makes YOU feel good wearing it.

Good luck!

Smell, smell, smell. And then decide for yourself! They are both so different, but then again, so are you.

Welcome to La Cage, Etoile!

Sa Majestée la Rose
    came out in 2000 as the first rose perfume after the almost unknown Nombre Noir from Shiseido! It became and grew very popular just as the house's fame expanded at that time! Nowadays both are not only firmly established, they are on the top floor of early twentyfirst perfume culture! Sa Majestee was my first soliflore made for women, then came Voleur de Rose (made for men) and finally Une Rose, another feminine, by Eduard Fléchier for Malle. I love them all! And if Montale rose oudhs hadn't come between me and Rose de Nuit I would probably own it too, and write poems about it! But I have not even tried it yet. How much rose naturelle can I have and wear? I love Patou's roses also and am craving to sample the new masculines with rose. On the other hand, I am not ready to become a perfume collector myself.
    Yours, however, is such a clear case: You are intrigued by RdN, and you love the house. Don't ask further questions, buy it today! The worst that could happen: you'll buy Sa Majestée next !
    Last edited by narcus; 8th March 2008 at 07:31 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I would choose Rose de Nuit. Dark, Chypre rose. Very chic.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Sa Majesté la Rose is more popular here only because it is more accessible.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Sa Majeste La Rose: One of the best soliflore rose fragrance alongside these others:

Jo Malone Red Roses
    Annick Goutal Rose Absolu
    Creed Fleurs de The Rose Bulgare
    -

Blog Entries

I haven't tried Rose de Nuit, but as a man, I would personally find Sa Majesté La Rose too feminine to wear. I know nobody here is keen on gender-segregation or stereotyping in the fragrance world, but speaking as someone in a professional school, I have to think about the judgments that uninformed people might be making when I wear a particular scent - because it could affect how I'm regarded as a professional. And a soliflore rose would definitely come across as too feminine to most people. So you may want to take that into account in making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    [COLOR=Blue][B][COLOR=DimGray]
    Yours, however, is such a clear case: You are intrigued by RdN, and you love the house. Don't ask further questions, buy it today! The worst that could happen: you'll buy Sa Majestée next !
    Of course thats worst that could happen!
    But I wouldn´t be very worried about it

Replying to mikeperez23; of course your opinion matter!
    If it doesn't matter I wouldn't be here asking for it

I want to know what is your opinion about both, you that have already teste them!
    I like both! But there's something insane about Rose de Nuit! Don't you agree?
    That insanity is what intrigue me!

Once again thank you for the replys and yes, I want to know what to you think about it!
    Thank you!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I haven't tried Rose de Nuit, but as a man, I would personally find Sa Majesté La Rose too feminine to wear. I know nobody here is keen on gender-segregation or stereotyping in the fragrance world, but speaking as someone in a professional school, I have to think about the judgments that uninformed people might be making when I wear a particular scent - because it could affect how I'm regarded as a professional. And a soliflore rose would definitely come across as too feminine to most people. So you may want to take that into account in making your decision.
    Where I work people dont judge you by what fragrance you wear! They envy you! That's worse! LOL
    I'm a makeup artist and a perfume lover!
    In my work I can wear whatever I want! But I understand your position!
    I know how cruel people can be to a thing they dont understand!
    Loving perfume is to love all the fragances! Even the ones I dont like!
    But back to Rose the Nuit...
    I dont pretend to wear this at work...
    I think this is a perfume to wear in privacy!
    Maybe just for me maybe in a private party!
    To wear it on the street... no!
    Last edited by etoile; 8th March 2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Replying to mikeperez23; of course your opinion matter!
    If it doesn't matter I wouldn't be here asking for it

I want to know what is your opinion about both, you that have already teste them!
    I like both! But there's something insane about Rose de Nuit! Don't you agree?
    That insanity is what intrigue me!

Once again thank you for the replys and yes, I want to know what to you think about it!
    Thank you!
    I have not smelled Rose de Nuit.

I love Sa Majeste la Rose and I own a decant of it, but when my decant is finished I probably will not buy a full bottle. I admire it a lot, but I find that I don't wear it enough. SMLR is, in my opinion, the most fantastic recreation of a fresh rose, on the stem when you stick your nose in the middle of the flower petals and inhale. It's quite magical. But as far as wearability, I think for me personally I find it hard to wear a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Here's some news for you man.

You don't have to "go anywhere" or be around people in order to wear fragrances.

And if you're masculine enough, or secure enough, or whatever, you can get away with wearin all kinds of stuff. Like most fragrances, a lot of it has to do with how much you apply. Aim for an aura about an inch deep and you'll have no problems.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th March 2008 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    You don't have to "go anywhere" or be around people in order to wear fragrances.
    Very true. My comments about taking other people's judgments into consideration only apply if you're going to be around other people or if you want your fragrance to be wearable more frequently than just when you stay home all day.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    And if you're masculine enough, you can get away with wearin all kinds of stuff.
    Probably true, but unfortunately I don't qualify. :P

Hello!
    Wich one of you tryed Rose de Nuit?
    Did you like it or not?
    Did you find it a little bit insane or not?
    Thank you

I've sampled it. It was just okay, a little too sharp for my tastes. There are several great rose scents out there. The advice to sample some yourself is very good advice. RdN wasn't for me but you might love it. Good luck!

PS - There are a few very good threads about rose scents if you have time to do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Wich one of you tryed Rose de Nuit? - Did you like it or not? - Did you find it a little bit insane or not?- Thank you
    Simple questions - and yet no answer. I would love to go and sample it tomorrow if I could! But somethinpositiv made me aware of the fact that I would have to order that sample, or the bottle, from Paris first! I am sure you have read the reviews of it (directory). But are you aware that Rose de Nuit has been discussed in February? Not many posts, but they allow a couple of conclusions: Fragrance quality: superb. 'Insanity?' : I think the various posts and reviews would be an aggregate nyes.
    The first thread 'Rose de Nuit'
    Last edited by narcus; 9th March 2008 at 07:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hello Narcus!
    Yes I read the reviews and read the threads about it!
    But a little more info about it would please me!
    Wich onde of you already try it?
    Thank you!