Code of Conduct

Default Choose a scent for me, but only one

Ok, so I'm having my morning coffee and thought I would pose the question to the board to choose a, only one, fragrance for me based on my appearance, personality, some interests, occupation, and favorite fragrances.

Appearance: Friends and family say that I resemble Craig Kilborn (talk show host/comedian)
    http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/t...0Kilborn-3.jpg

Dress: Ralph Lauren Polo, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole -Modern Classic, slightly preppy. Not the nerdy stripes and plaid that sometimes prevail in the Polo brand.

Personality is extrovert with a dry sense of humor. I am friendly and welcoming to others, and supportive of friends and family in any situation.

I have many varied interests (culinary, movies, music, travel) but sports bring me the most happiness.
    Action: avid cyclist (road & mountain), alpine skier, inline speed skate.
    Resort: golf, tennis, sipping margaritas [oh, you are reading this ]

I work in Supply Chain (currently laid off) but doing some consulting related to IT and sales for an outfitter.

Favorite fragrances which I will divide into two groups: current and discontinued
    Current: Bvlgari Extreme, Gucci Rush, Silver, John Varvatos, TM Cologne, Tuscany, Rocabar, D&G
    Disco: Halston 101, DK Unleaded

So there you have it. Thought such a breakdown would help to choose a scent.
    Oh, one more thing I am single but dating so it needs to "attract the girls" haha. kidding

-Greg
    Last edited by Titan; 9th March 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: Choose a scent for me, but only one

Creed Green Irish Tweed or Original Vetiver, of course. It's what Craig Kilborn would wear...
    Last edited by samplermike; 9th March 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Let's see...extroverted, dry humor, friendly, very active and sporty...

I don't see an Oriental or a fougere. I see a bracing, fresh, not too sweet citrus frag. Nothing old fashioned like Eau Sauvage or Monsieur Givenchy, but something more modern. Perhaps something more limey rather than lemony. Unfortunately I can't think of a specific one. But that's my general idea. Maybe someone else can come up with a good frag along these lines.
    Last edited by noggs; 9th March 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Let's see...extroverted, dry humor, friendly, very active and sporty...

I don't see an Oriental or a fougere. I see a bracing, fresh, not too sweet citrus frag. Nothing old fashioned like Eau Sauvage or Monsieur Givenchy, but something more modern. Perhaps something more limey rather than lemony. Unfortunately I can't think of a specific one. But that's my general idea. Maybe someone else can come up with a good frag along these lines.
    Noggs,

I have Bowling Green is that the direction you are thinking? I believe it is classified as a fougere but very aromatic. I am yet to wear it in the warm weather as I bought at the end of the fall. I bought it because the consensus is that it has pine and lemon/lime which are some favorite notes of mine.

Do you want something in the vein of what you already have, or something quite different?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Do you want something in the vein of what you already have, or something quite different?
    Based on the info I gave what do you think would be a good choice? When I make a new purchase I look for something familiar to what I have worn but different. Something that is unique in the composition. Maybe I have already narrowed fragrances that are defining of my personality and life style. I do like the responses so far. I have tested GIT and OV and like bracing citrus so these are possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Noggs,

I have Bowling Green is that the direction you are thinking? I believe it is classified as a fougere but very aromatic. I am yet to wear it in the warm weather as I bought at the end of the fall. I bought it because the consensus is that it has pine and lemon/lime which are some favorite notes of mine.
    No, not really. I was thinking more of a pure citrus type scent, more bracing and fresh than sweet and rounded. I also own Bowling Green, and that's not what I had in mind. I'm sure I can come up with something if I think about it long enough.

Well, my experience is far more limited than a lot of folks on here, which is part of the reason I tend to make similar recommendations - although I still try to only make recommendations that I think are truly applicable to the question at hand.

The two most versatile scents that I've smelled, that both carry a bit of classiness and a bit of playfulness, are extremely approachable, are citric/spicy with neither too much depth nor too ephemeral, would have to be Terre d'Hermes and Antidote by V&R.

The former is a bit more uplifting and 'bright', while the latter is a bit more spicy, sweet, and snuggly. Both are equally at home at work or play, and would never come off as pretentious or intimidating to customers or friends.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Malle's "Outrageous!" might be a good choice for you.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Sorry to be repetitive, but GIT was the first that came to mind. Then, Bulgari pour homme (not the Extreme).
    Oh, does this need to be niche? If not, another that is nice is Gianfranco Ferre; citrusy top notes, woody overall.
    Last edited by leffleur; 9th March 2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: another rec

these are the toughest questions of all. What should I/we/me/him/her wear?

I have a well stocked wardrobe and quite a few that I would fight off a pack
    of jackels for.

But it takes so long to establish a certain taste for things. This seems
    right/this sucks donkey you know....

I'll go with the standard answer I always give. Check the green Basenotes
    logo out on this page, upper left hand corner. Click on it.

That's Basenotes front page and at the bottom are fragrances which have
    held up over the years. Stood the taste of time so to speak. Decades now?

Try some of those.
    Christ on a hamburger bun... if it was good enough for
    Cindy Crawford that time she stopped by...

Hey... you got a smoke?

Brigarade Concentree by Malle. It always seems sporty and extroverted and lighthearted to me.

I would suggest something like Burberry London and Touch, Narciso Rodriguez For Him, Armani Emporio Night, Chanel Egoiste, YSL Rive Gauche. combination of modern and masculine.

Boal,

You suggested a slew of scents. And you actually went the other direction to what has been suggested.
    I have had three of the six you mention with Egoiste being my favorite of the those. It's been a long time since I have worn it. Finished my bottle rather quick when I had it but then again I only kept a couple bottles then. I am not likely to revist. These days I find myself drawn to frags with a woodsy base with citrus, spice and subdued sweetness. I am really enjoying Tom Ford for Men after three days wearing.

I think you should try PdN (Parfums di Nicolai) New York
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I think you should try PdN (Parfums di Nicolai) New York
    He's right

I will look into PdN and GIT which a couple posts suggest

Loewe Pour Homme - A clean, crisp, spicy fougere, masculine, not too loud or heavy, very little sweetness, making it extremely versatile.

Mainly it just smells great.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th March 2008 at 07:33 PM.

I imagine Craig Kilborne would wear whatever Morrissey wears... being the Moz fanboy that he is... so based on what I've heard, Czech & Speake no 88, Gucci Pour Homme, or Comme des Garçons Avignon.

Nice to hear that you're enjoying Tom Ford for Men. It's one of my recent pleasant surprises as well. Something about the way it behaves on skin and constantly changes.

If I had to suggest one for you based on my own opinion: Comme des Garçons Sequoia from the Red Series. It's woody, spicy and just a bit sweet/tart. Smells very natural though, like a forest. I could see Craig Kilborne wearing it. Or else Comme des Garçons Kyoto from the Incense Series. Both are similar-- Sequoia smells more red/spicy/energetic, while Kyoto smells more matte grey/woody/meditative.

Thanks for the recos

I will have to order up more than a couple samples. I knew I could count on some terrific suggestions.

Jesus...i thought that was craig kilborn!

jdnba it is. I attached a pic as I didn't have a pic of myself on the compy and people may not recognize the name
    Last edited by Titan; 9th March 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: grammar

My first thought is that you need to add a classic (or classic smelling) fragrance to your wardrobe.

I recommend starting with these (somewhat in order of my preference):

Heritage - Guerlain
    Chanel pour Monsieur (1955)
    New York - Nicolai
    Egoiste - Chanel
    Tiffany for Men
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think that Tuscany would be a good choice. You already mentioned that. Also as others have said GIT is great and you can't go wrong with that. Anyway good luck with your search.

I agree with TwoRoads; that was my first thought as well.

Maybe something a little closer to formal, but also not too far from what you are familiar with. Something that can fit with your contemporary style and youth.

I think the perfect scent is Bvlgari Black. Contemporary, Urban. I don't get the rubber too much, but definetly get the vanilla and smoke. It has a very warm feel. I don't have a bottle, but maybe I'll pick one up when some of my other bottles run low.

GIT or Bois Du Portugal are logical choices.
    Last edited by mttafire; 9th March 2008 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    jdnba it is. I attached a pic as I didn't have a pic of myself on the compy and people may not recognize the name
    wow...i was about to say man...by the way, i second egoiste...its great

Guerlain Vetiver (newer formula) or possibly Geir (with Kilborn in mind). I could see him wearing a Carthusia as well, maybe Uomo or IO. You already own Mugler Cologne, which frankly was the first thing that came to mind for you & Craiggers.