Code of Conduct

Question Skin irritation from CB perfumes

I've tested hundreds of perfumes on my skin over the years, and I've never had a negative reaction to anything- until now.

I received a handful of CB I Hate Perfume samples the other day, and I've been testing them on my arms since then. It turns out that I get a rash from them about 24 hours after application. The irritation isn't serious, but it's very noticeable and kind of worrisome to me.

Has anyone else had this reaction to CB perfumes (or another particular house)? I'm kind of wondering what is in the CB perfumes that irritates me, while other perfumes that smell very similar do not.

I've tried: Burning Leaves, Russian Caravan Tea, Cedarwood Tea, Patchouli Empire, Memory of Kindness, and In The Summer Kitchen.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: Skin irritation from CB perfumes

Ben, nice to see you back!

Are these the "water perfumes" or the "absolutes?"

I haven't tried any of the CB perfumes, though they do sound very interesting. Especially the beach ones and the Winter one.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Ben, nice to see you back!

Are these the "water perfumes" or the "absolutes?"

I haven't tried any of the CB perfumes, though they do sound very interesting. Especially the beach ones and the Winter one.

They were the water perfumes, btw.

The patchouli was ok. I couldn't wear any of the other samples as a body fragrance, although the concept is clever. I can't imagine smelling like tomato leaves

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Thrax

Ben,

I own Burning Leaves and I have to say that I have never had any problems with it of that sort. The only problem with it I have is the longevity...

Hey Thrax-

I know! It's the weirdest thing. NOTHING has ever affected me, and I've always felt fortunate that I have an iron stomach and thick skin. I don't even get itchy bumps from mosquitoes- that's how lucky I am.

I just thought it was weird that the WHOLE line (that I have tried) caused the same rash. I can't imagine what ingredients:

1- They ALL have in common;
    2- NO OTHER perfume that I've ever tried contained (and I've tried some monsters [Bora Bora]).

It's a mystery! A light-hearted one, too, at least as long as my arms don't shrivel up and fall off. I feel bad for Chris at CB, because he is very creative and I don't want this to reflect poorly on his products. But still.

Well I guess my time had to come someday

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Have you tried emailing Christopher Brosius himself. Seems like a real approachable engaging fellow as far as my intuition goes. I read his web site religiously. I own a few of his products and aside from a sample of his musk oil seeming rancid to me everything has acted well/

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBContact.html

btw. welcome home if that's where you are.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th March 2008 at 08:40 AM.

I have got a rash from the Memory of Kindness (tomato leaves, water version).
    No problems with the other CB samples. I've now tried about twenty of them (mostly water and a few absolutes).

Thanks, fredricktoo- I'll try that.

Oh I nearly forgot. Here's a little piece of hard-earned wisdom:

If it's called a WATER PERFUME and consists primarily of WATER and you live in Minnesota where it's still -15* F in March... Then you might want to wait until summer to have it shipped to your house

The bottle was frozen solid by the time I got home. It's a wonder it didn't break.

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Just layer the scent with some Hydrocortisone cream and you're good to go...

The only house I've ever had issue with is Burberry, and even then just the one cologne - Burberry Brit. It gives me red welts on my neck and then what look like hives or some other kind of instant acne.

Brit has a wild rose note, and I'm thinking that may be the problem for me. It is the only rose scented cologne I've ever tried.

Basenotes Institution

I've never had skin irritations with any of CBIHP water formulas. Maybe the particular ingredient that allows CB the ability to blend the molecules with water is what you are 'allergic' to?