Code of Conduct

Default Favorite Sleeper?

One choice only -- think quickly.

Mine? Cabaret pour Femme by Grès.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 9th March 2008 at 01:43 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Default Re: Favorite Sleeper?

Tilleul D' Orsay
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Love Tilleul!

Fath de Jacques Fath. right this moment.

Moschino Couture

Parfum Prive by La Perla...always gets compliments!

1, Cologne Blanche by Dior Homme, it is SO mellow... smells like a warmed up sweater!
    2, Aroma Calm by Lancome, blends well with my pjs
    3, Perles de Lalique, a new love, a new chypre that wears really close to my skin

Tabac Blond, hands down! But I do love several others as well.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

By "sleeper" I take it to mean you're thinking "that frag which - either because of it's name or perceived reputation or someone gave it to you and you thought ohmigod WHY - you never thought would work and it totally takes you by surprise and is now a fave"?

Then I'd have to say Miami Glow!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    By "sleeper" I take it to mean you're thinking "that frag which - either because of it's name or perceived reputation or someone gave it to you and you thought ohmigod WHY - you never thought would work and it totally takes you by surprise and is now a fave"?

Then I'd have to say Miami Glow!!!
    Hmmmm... I got this wrong then. ( I was thinking "sleeping in") You're probably right Tao, in which case it would definitely have to be a recent gift... JUICY COUTURE. I'm surprised at how much I like this frag!
    MIAMI GLOW would be a close second though!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Van Cleef & Arpels Murmure. Like visiting a floral greenhouse. Instant happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    I was thinking that it meant a scent that is completely under the radar...

Ferre 20

and for a second one Geoffrey Beene for women, a lovely rose scent: Green Note, Bergamot, Coriander, Tarragon, Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Geranium, Oakmoss, Sandal, Musk, Civet. I think I'm the only one who wears it.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 9th March 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    I was thinking that it meant a scent that is completely under the radar...
    I thought it meant a scent to spray on just before going to bed. If it's not, then I need to reinterpret and adjust my answer. Can someone please clarify?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I thought it meant a scent to spray on just before going to bed. If it's not, then I need to reinterpret and adjust my answer. Can someone please clarify?
    "Sleeper" usually describes an overlooked gem or as tinker put it, "under the radar".

I agree with Tinker and Ruggles on the definition of "sleeper" -- think "hidden gem" and/or "under the radar."

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Captain Molyneux

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Ferre 20

and for a second one Geoffrey Beene for women, a lovely rose scent: Green Note, Bergamot, Coriander, Tarragon, Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Geranium, Oakmoss, Sandal, Musk, Civet. I think I'm the only one who wears it.
    The Ferre 20 and particularly the Beene, sound absolutely lovely, Zibeline! Can one still find either to test anywhere?
    Last edited by ComDiva; 9th March 2008 at 07:57 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Mont Blanc Presence d'Une Femme.

Well, and here's another definition: "Sleeper hit, a work, such as a movie ("sleeper film"), book, or product, that obtains unexpected recognition or success". (Wikipedia)

For a newie like me, northing's really "under the radar" because it's been talked about or published here on BN.....and when I read TVL's challenge I quick-thought Miami Glow because, when I first heard of it and hadn't read reviews here, I dismissed it as a "celebrity scent" which - at the time - I figured HAD to be skanky....

And so, imagine my surprise when it worked wonderfully well on me......"unexpected recognition or success...." (for me!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

For me, Nuits de Noho and Curve Crush! Esp. CC! Who would ever think a variation of Curve would be so good?!?!?!

Dolce & Gabbana Feminine, it is one of my all time favourites yet I never really see anything posted about it on Basenotes. Beautiful floral, vanilla musk that to me anyway, is as light and airy as a souffle. I do get compliments on Feminine, think I might wear it tomorrow.

Notes from the directory:

Top: Tangerine, yuzu.

Heart: Nenuphur, white cyclamen, green pear, ozone, mimosa, blue wisteria, lily, mauve heliotrope.

Base: Musk, vanilla, sandalwood, kashmir wood.

Still in production
    - Just Cavalli -
    Out of production
    - Gloria -
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I think Taolady and Tinker have about the same concept expressed in different words. That's what I thought while listing Fath de Fath.

More sleepers: Trussardi Python, Kenzo Le Mond Est Beau, Lancetti Donna (gold box), Perles de Lalique, Gres Grain de Folie (Zib, I know you got this one too!) and Caline (there is Caline Night out there now too!), Royal Doulton, Paloma Picasso Tentations, Cerruti Image, Davidoff Good Life, Chantecaille fragrances, Cassini, many many more.

I used to enjoy Geoffrey Beene when I had it. A lot of my staples are being mentioned, keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I think Taolady and Tinker have about the same concept expressed in different words. That's what I thought while listing Fath de Fath.

More sleepers: Trussardi Python, Kenzo Le Mond Est Beau, Lancetti Donna (gold box), Perles de Lalique, Gres Grain de Folie (Zib, I know you got this one too!) and Caline (there is Caline Night out there now too!), Royal Doulton, Paloma Picasso Tentations, Cerruti Image, Davidoff Good Life, Chantecaille fragrances, Cassini, many many more.

I used to enjoy Geoffrey Beene when I had it. A lot of my staples are being mentioned, keep them coming!
    I DO love those Gres Folie scents! Grain de Folie is such a great scent. I am pleased to learn somebody else likes GB. It is a sleeper in two ways, the opening is pretty strong but if you stay around, it mellows and the herbal quality meld beautifully with the florals and bases. That green note lasts longer in the cold weather, but in the parfum it fades fast.

Other hidden treasures, for me, are the Montana line, and Silences by Jacomo.

Off-Scenter

L'Eau de Ryokuei

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    Tilleul D' Orsay
    Everytime I wear this I get compliments. It seems that you and I are definitely in the minority considering the reviews I've read.

Basenotes Institution

Chemistry by Clinique

Now that it's been clarified, I think I'd have to say my sleeper is Un Amour de Patou. So overlooked, sadly, that it's discontinued. But I still have about half a bottle left, and I use it sparingly.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Montgomery Taylor's Ambra de Venezia.

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by ScentSerenade View Post
    Moschino Couture
    I'm a fragrance novice, so I'm not familiar with too many scents. But for what it's worth, I agree that Moschino Couture is underrated.

LV Teint de Neige and Dior Cologne Blanche

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Sleeper?

Annayake - Miyako.
    Top notes : Cardamom, Cinnamon, Frankincense
    Middle notes : Hinoki, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Patchouli, Cedar, Sandalwood
    Base notes : Musk, Rockrose, Benzoin, Myrrh, Amber

Whenever I smell it, I can't help but think of the Far East. Beautiful, evocative, meditative and totally unique.
    I'm very surprised that this isn't talked about on the board at all... especially by you beautiful ladies, since it is marketed to women. (I think of it as unisex. Seems to work well on me, according to others.)
    There isn't even a listing for it in the directory.
    As a limited edition not available in the US, it's almost impossible to find a bottle now. I'm clinging onto my bottle for dear life!

Germain Monteil - L'Eau de Monteil
    Top notes: Orange, Orange blossom, Wisteria,
    Middle Notes: Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Carnation, Lily of the valley,
    Base Notes: Cedar, Tonka, Musk, Sandalwood

This is a favorite I like to smell on women. It is simply gorgeous!
    This is the olfactory equivalent of a crystal clear ornamental pond filled with lily pads and lotus flowers, lined with weeping willows and pastel colored flowers surrounding it's edges...painted by Monet.
    I bought this as a Mother's Day gift for my mother back in the 90's. I've never smelled it on anyone else besides her. I've never seen this mentioned here or any other message boards. It's listed in the directory, but there are no reviews for it.
    I would love to know who the perfumer is.

I agree that Gres Cabaret is underrated, I just love it.

Another is Eau Belle d'Azzaro.

Dulci, I can't agree with you more! Eau Belle is what I wore last year for our citrus S'nS day. Very nice, very underrated citrucy smell with a nice cypress base and occasional salty water drops.

Van Cleef & Arpels- First extrait
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
    I love it, too. One of my favorite rose scents. It's a shame that the bottle is so kitsch. Every time I open it, I think Barbara Eden will appear in her I Dream of Genie outfit.

It can only be Norell, a fragrance I've worn longer than memory, and one that never fails to elicit compliments. And, as a bonus, I've never noticed anyone else wearing it (unless it morphed into an unrecognizable scent). Is this one on anyone's regular rotation?

Fendi Theorema!
    "The death of Satan was a tragedy for the imagination."

L'Instant. Don't know why i forget so often about it.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    Dulci, I can't agree with you more! Eau Belle is what I wore last year for our citrus S'nS day. Very nice, very underrated citrucy smell with a nice cypress base and occasional salty water drops.
    Eau Belle has a certain...astringency? is that the word I'm looking for? that I find very refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulci
    I love it, too. One of my favorite rose scents. It's a shame that the bottle is so kitsch. Every time I open it, I think Barbara Eden will appear in her I Dream of Genie outfit.
    aww, I like the I Dream of Genie bottle, it feels heavy and substantial in my hand, and the cap is nice and heavy too.

Lots of interesting recommendations in this thread.

L'Heure Bleue
    Coromandel
    Last edited by Fragranza; 13th March 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Kenzo Ce sent beau, Alessandro dell'Aqua.

I'm a big fan of Gres Cabaret too,
    And I adore Madame Rochas which doesn't get mentioned much but I find it enormously wearable and well put-together.
    I was surprised at how good Cabotine is, too. That doesn't get much attention either.
    Also, Eaux de Cologne in general don't get talked about much - perhaps because they're generally lightish and citrusish and don't last for long. I like a good Eau de Cologne in the summer though - cools you down when you apply it, so it makes sense to reapply every few hours. Good reason to get one of those cute little handbag atomisers - or am I being unbearably chi chi?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Panthere Eau Legere by Cartier... I gave mine away and have been thinking about it ever since. Never see anyone talking about it on the fragrance boards, but if you like grapefruit notes, it might be worth checking out. Love the drydown.

My sleepers are Bulgari black,Omnia and Champs Elysees.I tend to forget about them since I only have minis.