Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Parma Colonia: Initial Impressions

Wow. Just.. wow! What a great scent right from the very first spritz. I never looked into this line much, and only sought a sample of Colonia because I've realized I love a well integrated rose note and have been trying to smell all the major players in that category and kept hearing the name Colonia pop up.

The lemon opening is a bit tart and sour, very bright, extremely refreshing. No hint of plastic or any other synthetic quality that often adorns the initial spray of lesser frags. The lemon is so strong it completely dominates the scent for the first 10 minutes or so, and I was beginning to doubt that a rose note would emerge through the overwhelming brightness - like one doubts the sun will ever appear again on a particularly melancholy, overcast day - except in reverse.

Alas, the first thing to pierce through the hesperidic armor was a small hint of lavender; trailing in its shadow the rose whose presence was simply felt rather than smelled at this point. The two, together, subdue the lemon a bit and quickly round off any tart and sour edges that remain. The whole thing quickly becomes smooth and round and.. soft. Yes, the lavender settles and the rose emerges, a queen proudly taking seat on her throne next to her husband the charistmatic and ever-jolly lemon.

The heart transitions more and more from lemon dominant to rose dominant, although the lemon never disappears fully - it's presence is, just as the rose at its unveiling - at least felt, if not directly smelled. The rose is soft and a bit powdery, and the fragrance as a whole retains its upbeat, uplifting, cheery attitude.

I don't know if it's simply a factor of the quality of ingredients, its EdC strength, a combination of the two, or something else, but this fragrance smells undeniably natural, which in turn lends to it an elegant air. It is a scent that, no matter how many times you bring your wrist to your nose to sniff, could never give you a headache nor burning nostrils. If you suffered a bout of amnesia after spraying, you'd have no problem believing this is how skin naturally smells. Not to say that it smells like skin, but it integrates so well with the skin that the usual separation between 'natural scent' and 'applied scent' dissolves like a drop of ink in a glass of water.

A marvelous scent, and I'm only an hour into it. It's faded a bit already though, and fear I won't get more than 3-4 hours total longevity. C'est la vie. I'd rather be left wanting more than wishing for less.

Edit: Are there any other similar fragrances on the market? Vibrant, fresh, uplifting frags with a heavy note of rose in the heart.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th March 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia: Initial Impressions

Sounds great. A friend of mine whom I haven't seen in a long time wrote me he purchased a bottle of this stuff some months ago and is now almost empty, so I guess it is a great casual scent that can be worn a lot.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

It's so good, isn't it? Supposedly it is all natural, it certainly feels that way. I still think it towers mile-high over all of the many newer AdP releases and colonia variations. If I could only keep one fragrance, this one would certainly make the shortlist. I always have some with me when travelling - it's gentlemanly and works in all seasons, times and places.

The mellowness of the floral middle is owed to the Ylang, which perfectly smooths out the rose. There is nothing else like this, though anyone who likes Colonia would probably enjoy Penhaligon's Castile (an equally perfect mellow rose, but with a neroli, rather than a lemon top) and Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall (a citrus top with a perfectly pitched white floral heart). Though it's somewhat more feminine you may also want to try Acqua di Genova (lime and white florals).

Two others worth trying that are gentlemanly smooth, though citrus and rose feature less prominently as they are also spicy and slightly leathery, are the original Dunhill for Men and R de Capucci.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Names noted, TGL, the sample search grows yet again.

I recently received a sample of Dunhill '34, but haven't worn it yet. I look forward to trying it out.

I should mention that Colonia is still quite present on my skin. Sillage is minimal, but it's there and I may have been a bit presumptious to assume it would fade so quickly. I still get a beautiful waft of it from time to time. I'm tempted to respray just to marvel all over again at its evolution, but I'll be strong and see how its progression continues.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I love AdP. Its my favorite non-Creed and the only frag i use thats non-Creed.
    I am never without it.
    Even when my bottles are empty i have 4-5 samples of it. Saks is a good place to get the samples.
    When i ask, the S.A. usually gives me at least 3 of them.

I love AdP Colonia. It never fails to lift my mood when I wear it, or even if I just sniff it.
    As the_good_life said, Penhaligon's Castile does it with neroli vs. lemon, but is also beautiful.
    I haven't picked my SOTD for today (lazy bastidge/time change), I think I will make it the Colonia.

What kind of longevity do you all get from this one? My first wearing has given me about 5 hours and it's really faint. I didn't spray much though, 3 small sprays from a sample vial. Quite impressive if it really is EdC strength.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

AdP Colonia is certainly one of the most beautiful scents in the world. The first time I saw it was while living in Spain. It was in the windows of all the fine tailor shops. I was very new to fragrance then, but was really drawn to this one for some reason. Everything about it exuded class--at least from the outside: color scheme, font, packaging, even the name itself. I decided to grab a bottle--it was easily the most expensive fragrance I had ever purchased--and upon first sniff I remember thinking, "Yes...yes! I knew it was possible!" It is like retiring to the basin of a sun struck Mediterranean villa, and washing off the resins of freshly picked lavender and rosemary with a wonderful French milled soap of lemon and rose. I had never smelled anything like it, but I knew these accords had to exist, and in this combination. I was instantly in love.

Anyways, that was a bit of a ramble, but like the_good_life, this is one of my all-time tops.
    You are not your perfume.

It's one of those that just bowls you over at first sniff. You know you've got something special in your hands. I'm thinking of picking up the 6oz splash and just decanting it into a 5ml plastic atomizer to take with me and spray. I don't have any scents perfectly suited to summer - the lightest of what I have being Prada Amber, Antidote, Mesmerize, and Ungaro III. This would fit that hole in my wardrobe spectacularly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I haven't tried AdP but I recently bought AdP Assoluta, and it's a delight to wear. It lends me a certain element of refinement.

I can't decide between: AdP colonia - assoluta - intesna
    No testers in my local area so im looking to blind buy one of these.
    What do you recommend?

It is a truly beautiful cologne, probably the best in the world, and I put it in my top-ten list.

I am very curious about the assoluta version of the cologne. Is it the same perfume more concentrated, or is it another fragrance? Does the assoluta version have the same rose note?

Both AdP Colonia and AdP Colonia Assoluta are first class.
    Colonia is even a cut above.

My favorite citrus, and a complete pleasure to wear. Really can't say anything but good
    about this one. Recommended without reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    It is a truly beautiful cologne, probably the best in the world, and I put it in my top-ten list.

I am very curious about the assoluta version of the cologne. Is it the same perfume more concentrated, or is it another fragrance? Does the assoluta version have the same rose note?

Can't wait to get my hands on this cologne. Now im tossing up between colonia vs colonia assoluta.
    Is the later more concentrated ??

Quote Originally Posted by djbozz View Post
    Can't wait to get my hands on this cologne. Now im tossing up between colonia vs colonia assoluta.
    Is the later more concentrated ??

I think that Assoluta lasts longer on more members here than Colonia, me included.

Both are great scents indeed but since Assoluta lasts much longer on me than Colonia, I like it better.

gupts

hi i'm new here. would you recomend this scent for a first time cologne buyer? i've used perfumes mostly. my last ones were armani mania and kenzo leaupar for men. i bought the leaupar because it was a light summery scent good for the tropical climes of which i live in. i also don't know much about colognes so i wil be spending time on the beginners section of the forum.

I've been interested in AdP Colonia a while now. Many describes it as a gentlemans cologne, does it mean it's mostly appealing to "older" people? I got Chanel Pour Monsieur which I liked at first, but when it has dried down it smells "too old" for my taste. I got similar experiences with Creed's Bois du Portugal. The only experience I have with AdP is Blu Mediterraneo Arancia, which I think is quite nice. I've read AdP Colonia got notes of ylang-ylang, which I love, I also like rose - if it's done right. I'm really into Burberry right now (London and Summer is on my top 3-list at the moment). Do you think AdP Colonia would appeal to me? Yes I know I could sample it, but I want to know right now...

I thought PM was too "old" smelling too (actually, i've got other qualms with it which I won't get into.) I'm 25 and dont' feel Colonia is 'old' at all. Young, fresh, and zesty - without being artificial in the least. I really like London too. I think you'll like it - as long as you don't mind scents that are less than overpowering.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Would anyone know a good source online for purchasing Acqua di Parma Colonia?

Adp Colonia is ligheter, zestier, and sparkles more than Assoluta; however Assoluta has a more powerful heart and a thicker, woody drydown, maybe with some moss notes too. The AdP lasts great for a cologne and after about 6 hours stays close to the skin; Assoluta lasts maybe 8 hours and has a heavier presence. Honestly, I love them both and they are similar, but if I had to have a choice (as much as I love Ellena's work) I'd go with Colonia. It fits all ages, is totally versatile and works for almost any occasion. An absolute staple. Start with Colonia and then try the others.

Scott,

I bought the 100ml (3.3 oz) bottle for $60 +$10 (shipping) at Ebay. It was the best price I could find. Just seach for "Acqua di Parma", and you will find it, at the bottom of the page.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACQUA-DI-PARMA-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the link. I was hoping someone on here might have a recommendation for a good seller on Ebay. I wasn't sure who to buy from. So you were happy with your purchase from this seller?

Yes, it is original and in perfect condition!

Thank you so much, I will go ahead and buy from that seller.

SD

Blog Entries

I'm gonna have to give this one a try eventually, I don't hear "greatest ever" thrown around very often here and the reviews have more or less all been positive.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Done, I just bought it through Buy it now. I had a $10.00 coupon valid through the 28th of March for any single item over $50.00 so it worked out great. Not sure if it will work for other Ebayers but the coupon is:
    CMARCH0810DA

Blog Entries

I bought Acqua di Parma Colonia last Friday. In the five days since, I've worn it three times.

It's the first frag I've bought that I could easily wear too often. But, I don't want to get tired of it. It's a great, sophisticated scent that's really enjoyable.

It will probably be given a rest until next week.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I bought AdP Colonia too. First I wasn't impressed, but after a few days I noticed I had to overspray it quite a bit to get that wonderfull smell (and wait about 30-60 min to allow it to dry down a bit). Now I use about two sprays on my chest, two on the lower neck, and one on each arm. That's a total of six sprays... How many do you use?

Six sprays is a good number. I use four sprays on the chest and lower (front) neck, and one behind each ear. I reapply as soon as I notice the perfume is vanishing.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 2nd April 2008 at 06:10 PM.

This actually lasts surprisingly well on me. Two sprays will last me all the way into the afternoon.

As written before, AdP is "uplifting" as well as "wearable". It's got decent sillage and longevity. It is distinctive and in no way is it a "boring" fragrance IMHO.

I have pleasant associations with it as I remember well (confession time here) smelling it on another fine gentleman while on vacation in Spain! That alone should say something about its sillage! I later bought the "Colonia" version in Italy. I find the Colonia more than good enough! I hadn't worn it for awhile but it just so happens to be my SotD

May be the best one I have according to my lovely wife!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    May be the best one I have according to my lovely wife!

Dan
    That nice lady smoking on the picture?

wow, if that's your wife, I'm impressed.

AdP Colonia is certainly one of the top 5 fragrances I've ever tried. Whenever I wear it, I am reminded that beautiful and magical things do exist. it is the same feeling that I have when I see a very beautiful young man. I get a kick out of it, in the words of Cole Porter.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 2nd April 2008 at 08:51 PM.

I am really loving this fragrance. For $8 more dollars you get twice as much but in a splash. Is it better to get the spray or pay a little more for twice as much? I am not in to decanting so for me, it has to be one or the other. What about it, splash or spray?

Blog Entries

I have the splash and like it. I just put some on a cotton pad and dab it on. Given the variety of atomizers I've encountered, I'm kind of souring on them anyway.
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I have the splash and like it. I just put some on a cotton pad and dab it on. Given the variety of atomizers I've encountered, I'm kind of souring on them anyway.
    Is the nozzle hole tight? I mean, does it pour or does it barely dribble conserving more?

Scentologist,

That's a very easy decision. Buy the splash, of course, and transfer the cologne to a smaller atomizer.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    That's a very easy decision. Buy the splash, of course, and transfer the cologne to a smaller atomizer.

That is exactly what I do whenever possible.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Is the nozzle hole tight? I mean, does it pour or does it barely dribble conserving more?
    It's kind of odd. The bottle opening looks big, but the cologne comes out more as a generous dribble. If you turned it upside down and shook it a few times, it would probably start pouring out.

I just put a cotton pad over the opening, and tip it to the side a little so some comes out.

Or, as suggested above, you could separately buy an atomizer bottle and decant into that. Would be fairly easy to do with a funnel or pipette.
    Brent

I feel that the juice soaked into a cotton pad is juice waster. I would probably just dribble some onto my body, that way there is no bacteria transference and none wasted.

Edit: maybe thats why they give you twice as much to account for shaking it on?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 3rd April 2008 at 03:26 AM.

After 20 years of searching my humble feeling is that I've found my Holy Grail: Colonia Assoluta. It's fresh yet deep, citrusy yet with real longevity, sparkling yet not in-your face. It does make me calm and relaxed. It's matured yet not old-fashioned. Has a certain barbershop-feeling yet not sickening at all. It maybe unisex, but I think it is first of all masculin.
    I'm sure there are lots of houses and scents I haven't tried and no longer will. But now it doesn't matter.

Thank you guys for the opinions.

Very cool Sandy. Congrats! I had that same feeling a month or two ago with CDG - Vettiveru. I think it could become my signature spring/summer scent. I need to give Assoluta a full wearing at some point.